Ear piercing? Good Idea?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexandrajames

Reaction score
Hi there fellow geeks.
Just wanted your opinion about ear piercing. Do many of you offer it? Do you just need insurance to do it?
Im not really sure and there is a seminar on it near me and just wondered if it is worth it. Really appriciate your thoughts. Thank you.

It would depend how available it is already in your area ?
i have had a salon for the past 10 months and i have only had one request for this in all that time and that was last week hth

i must admit there is not many places that offer it by me but i have only done one set in the past 6 months

The training and set up is not that expensive but you do need to fill in a local registration form and pay a fee(mines £88) with your local environmental health for this ifo conatct your local council office.:)

You need to check with your local council but you may find you need a licence to perform this.

I took my daughter to a beauty therapist to have hers done and she absolutely freaked after the first one, I have never seen her so upset, and tbh I would have hated to be the therapist.

Apparently when they do it at Claire's Accessories they have two girls do both ears at the same time :)

our ocal license was £729 +vat for 3 years:irked:

I dropped it from my service menu very quickly

You need to check with your local council but you may find you need a licence to perform this.

I took my daughter to a beauty therapist to have hers done and she absolutely freaked after the first one, I have never seen her so upset, and tbh I would have hated to be the therapist.

Apparently when they do it at Claire's Accessories they have two girls do both ears at the same time :)

When I had my ears done at Claire's, I had mine done one at a time rather than both at once - but then I was 30 at the time so it was probably not such an issue compared with if I was a kid...

when i qualified in ear piercing i was told i had 2 b health and safety registered and to keep a book where each client has to sign it [checked by h/s inspector i had to have letters of concent by parents of child under 18 which i kept in book not much call 4 ear piercing tho i still ave the kit just in case :hug:

Glad I came across this thread, I'm thinking of offering ear piercing too.
I shall contact my local council for info and let you know what I find out

Hi there fellow geeks.
Just wanted your opinion about ear piercing. Do many of you offer it? Do you just need insurance to do it?
Im not really sure and there is a seminar on it near me and just wondered if it is worth it. Really appriciate your thoughts. Thank you.

Hi,

Yes, you should insurance if you are looking to offer this treatment. If you give your insurance company a ring, most will cover it providing you have the appropriate qualifications.

This is true, but when i trained I was told this wasnt such a good idea as you have to get the timings perfect and i mean perfect. As when the instrument is released it makes a loud bang noise which can make you jump if it is a split second after you have moved and the other ear ring is knocked of the mark where it should be you will end up with lopsided ear rings..

i cant really see it as a big money maker in business to be honest.
its not a very expensive treatment in the first place and the major drawback is the fact that its [usually] a one time only procedure.
a wiser investment is something that needs professional maintenance over the long term, like nails, waxing, eyelash extensions etc. then you will get continuous revenue for your investment as well as new clients for additional revenue.

Thanks guys for your opinions! I dont think I will be offering ear piercing now.

This is true, but when i trained I was told this wasnt such a good idea as you have to get the timings perfect and i mean perfect. As when the instrument is released it makes a loud bang noise which can make you jump if it is a split second after you have moved and the other ear ring is knocked of the mark where it should be you will end up with lopsided ear rings..

That's what I would be worried about doing it that way too, especially if you were dealing with a small child who would be more likely to flinch or move. Could be quite messy and result in a non-trivial insurance claim, as well as unnecessary trauma and potential disfigurement for the poor kid!

i cant really see it as a big money maker in business to be honest.
its not a very expensive treatment in the first place and the major drawback is the fact that its [usually] a one time only procedure.
a wiser investment is something that needs professional maintenance over the long term, like nails, waxing, eyelash extensions etc. then you will get continuous revenue for your investment as well as new clients for additional revenue.

I agree; the business model for a salon is definitely best based around building up a regular clientele with repeat business.

I guess that is why Claire's Accessories does so well with ear piercing; I imagine that a lot of their business is based around retail, but that their ear piercing service could bring in a customer who wants their ears done, and could then go on to buy other stuff as well...

Thanks guys for your opinions! I dont think I will be offering ear piercing now.
i did my caflon ear piercing training last month and i've had 10 people ask me to do their ears when i get insurance/licence and start up mobile, (as they don't want to get it done in claire's because every one in the street can see you sat in the window having it done!)
i think its a good add on treatment as it doesn't require much equipment, just a little kit and a book, and to perform an ear piercing takes only about 10 minutes x

Go for it ! Do the course even if you dont get many people asking for it you always have it incase you do.The courses r normally cheap.I did mine last year and have done about 8 sets since but now i can add it to my price list.
I got my insurance with salon gold for £40 for the yr but this covers me for all lev 2 treatments as well. You wont need a licence frm the council unless u r doin it in ur home.Its ok to do it in someone elses (stupid i know)
Hope this helps x

I am interested in this, they are doing a short course at my college soon, but when I checked my insurance document it said you can only pierce in a lisenced place??! so, I would'nt be covered if I went to someones house and did it.:irked:

I am interested in this, they are doing a short course at my college soon, but when I checked my insurance document it said you can only pierce in a lisenced place??! so, I would'nt be covered if I went to someones house and did it.:irked:
you should check with your local council, for me to go mobile i can get a licence from the local health dept for £92 one off fee, i just have to explain to them i am doing it safely and hygenically and to give them a copy of my certificate and insurance x

you should check with your local council, for me to go mobile i can get a licence from the local health dept for £92 one off fee, i just have to explain to them i am doing it safely and hygenically and to give them a copy of my certificate and insurance x

Thanks for the info Lisa-marie :)

OH, I have my ear pierced and it really is worth it you really stand out. Hope i helped :p

Latest posts

Back