Echoing the 80's

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Here I am plugging along at work (at some silly hour) and I realize I am lacking some music.
Pulled up Napster (yes the new legal one) and on a whim I came across one of my favorite albums of the 80's... the self titled Echo & the Bunnymen.

Holy cow am I jammin like an old geezer reliving his childhood. I am finding it a difficulty to keep working. Think ill burn it and listen to it full volume on the way home.

whoop.

How can it be that I haven't heard one of these tunes for at least 15 years and I still know all of the words?

Anyone else recently re-discovered an old favorite that they are digging on?

...Well, 'Spare Us The Cutter', GMG! :lol:
I love Echo & The Bunnymen too ... once saw em play in a local dive before they made it.
I was also at the last gig ever played by Joy Division and the great thing for me is that my 16 year old son has just discovered them all by himself ... and I love it.
Im tapping away at this very mo to the track 'Isolation' at full pelt and for once I aint yelling 'turn it down'! :wink2:

Farout!.... Have been nostalgia trippin' myself! And IT IS surprising the songs you remember. I often giggle when I'm looking through the selections, & ther'es been a bit of Boogie Oggie Oggie going on at the Nail Desk........LURVE IT .....Gonna check out Echo & the Bunnymen......Get Down......jnail Australiaxxx

Glorsclaws said:
I love Echo & The Bunnymen too ... once saw em play in a local dive before they made it.
I was also at the last gig ever played by Joy Division and the great thing for me is that my 16 year old son has just discovered them all by himself ... and I love it.
Im tapping away at this very mo to the track 'Isolation' at full pelt and for once I aint yelling 'turn it down'! :wink2:
Glors - you kill me - you are such the Goth Girl - Did you ever like Pete Shelley - I still have XL1 somewhere (lead singer of the Buzzcocks), hmmm what else...I was an Ant Warrior myself! :D

Glorsclaws said:

Tis strange but true and good that our kids are appreciating decent stuff!
Jess (youngest daughter) is belting out "The Smiths- What Difference does it make" full wack, under the impression I have never heard a SINGLE thing of theirs! She assures me "they are brilliant Mum you have to listen to em" Im like ....HELLO!? I am only 41!!!!!! :eek: I was listening to em yonks ago!!!!!! :irked:
Jo (eldest daughter), her tastes are slightly more up to date....Green Day here we come!!!!
Glo....we will have a fabarooney time when you get chance to come up and see me sometime!...Ill tune the radio in to Kerrang hun!!!! :D

Hi, l love the 80's me and my hubby were up really late the other night trying ot find the song of all cheese, he came up with Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby and beat me!!! Can't top that one yet! (the sad things we do for fun these days!!)
l must admit to being a wham! fan & frankie goes to hollywood Oh... there are so many l love... XX

Oh memories I loved Echo and the bunnymen......The cutter was brill and The Killing Moon. Also loved stiff little fingers.....Barbed wire love.
My hair was black spikey and about 4ins high Lol

lell said:
Oh memories I loved Echo and the bunnymen......The cutter was brill and The Killing Moon. Also loved stiff little fingers.....Barbed wire love.
My hair was black spikey and about 4ins high Lol
OMG SLF rocked - so did the Boomtown Rats and the Jam, Secret Affair....(who remembers Time for Action??? ahhh I LOVE THE 80's :D

ahhh I LOVE THE 80's :D
eeeks @ 8o's? i was a 70's bay city roller :D or should that be :o ? nah I loved them lol

Angie said:
Hi, l love the 80's me and my hubby were up really late the other night trying ot find the song of all cheese, he came up with Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby and beat me!!! Can't top that one yet! (the sad things we do for fun these days!!)
l must admit to being a wham! fan & frankie goes to hollywood Oh... there are so many l love... XX

Angie

Trump him with So Macho by Sinita - you'll win hands down :twisted:

Less dismissing the lceMan please - I was a devoted fan, although now he looks all old and minging :twisted:

A gang of us all went out for a mates birthday on saturday nite to a club called reflex.... i was told that it is an 80s club and i thought oh my god i cant think of a single song that i can remember!!!! i put it down to only being born in 82 an never paying much attention, but oh my days can you believe the excitement when we got there and slowly but surely all of the good 1s you forgot about came blasting out!! it was THE best nite ever and we are all going back just as soon as we all have the same saturday and sunday off!!!!!:D

I have a very eclectic taste in music and no more so than in the 80s. My main recollections are from 80-82 when I was taking my A levels, had to go to boarding (boring) school and remember playing SLF and The Specials at full volume, resulting in my v upright headmistress flinging open my study door in horror at the "noise"!

So at that time for me it was The Sepcials and Madness, The Jam, SLF, Dire Straits, Duran Duran, Human League, Madonna and Banarama (I so went for that scruffy look), Ultravox (still can't believe Joe DOlce stopped Vienna getting to number one), Phil Collins, Bruce Springstein and Michael Jackson. Was also listening to Vivaldi, Mozart and Beethoven as I was studying A level music!

Any of these artists bring back such memories of my mispent youth, still can't beleive it's nearly 25 years ago!!

Well i am still in love with WHAM:wink2: Adam Ant wa stops, but have you seen him lately................Madonna still Rocks, The cure and in the late 80's i ahve to admit i was a Blockhead (New Kids on the Block ) fan.............i went to see them at Whitley Bay ice rink and i was and still am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo in lurve with Jordan Nathanial Marcel Proust Knight, whos fave drink is chocolate milkshake, fave song, you make me feel brand new by the stylistics, fave colour Red shall i go on with my sadness:D

I was more of a late 80's chick though!! But what an era!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amanda

How could I forget Wham (george Michael, what a waste!!) and the Ants, oh and Spandau Ballet. I was a new romantic girl!

Wild Boys by Duran Duran oohhh Simon LeBON strapped down to a windmill half naked - what teenage dreams are made off..

I am still gutted I missed their reunion concerts last year - where was the publicty

I can still sing this word for word 18 years on..lol but cant remember onnychoyscoos - wots it dodah :lol:

My hubby was is still an "80's" child, in fact he is still a member of the Depeche Mode fan club (not something I mention too often :o ) We have totally different music tastes coz although I'm only 2 yrs older than him and was a teenager in the 80's I was (and still am) into Northern Soul. Went to a Northern Soul anniverary night last month and had a BRILL time. Saw loads of people I havent seen in probably 10 years and relived lots of good memories. Hubby didnt come coz he cant stand soul music but met so many old friends I think we would have been bored. Problem is its stirred up the nostalgia and now I cant wait to go again!!

Shaza

Mrs Geek your a closet MOD, i remeber crying when the jam split up and thought my world had ended. My eldest now loves all my old soul and funk and says himself how sad that he knows all the words to my oldies (his words) not mine.

How about some nostalgic sound clips for the chat room :)

ps have to say went to modstock this year so i could listen to all the old sounds
LOL

Northern soul rocks still collect it myself and love to play my tunes

LOL

Original Goth... Bunnymen, Teardrop, Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, The Mission, Siouxsie, The Cure, Rose of Avalanche, Joy Division gosh, the list could go on!

If I had a scanner I could upload some mean pics of me back in the 80's lol!

Remember crimping your hair with a can of harspray, still wet, to kind of burn it into the upright position, followed by a load of back combing and more hairspray...how did hair survive!

Latest posts

Back