first day a non smoker

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Joanne, you are doing so well.

I remember when both my mum and myself gave up the dreaded weed, after about a month of being off them, we noticed that our gums bled A LOT when we brushed our teeth. I checked with my dentist and he said this is normal so not to worry. It stopped after about a month if I remember correctly, but was quite worrying at the time. I never got mouth ulcers, but Sean did have a bit of a cough for some time after giving them up and I remember him moaning about it at the time (don't deny it, mister!!), but his chest soon got better and now he can get up at least three stairs before the wheezing starts......... :wink2:

you dont half make me laugh jackie...poor seanny.
lesley it isnt that bad ...........honest and i was petrified of giving up, but no pressure people have to do it when they are ready, i think when people nag you its harder because you constantly feel guilty, which doesnt help.
thats why i had to do it on my own with non of my family knowing because it was too much pressure and if i told them i was going to give up then i think i would have failed
rob was away last week and the first he knew was when he rang and i told him that i had not smoked.........and i hadnt bit his head off

Keep it up, we are all rooting for you!!

well done joanne
for even getting this far,
i have tried soooo many times and always failed, i'm so proud that you have kept it up this long, keep going love we know you can do it.

Hi Joanne

Hope all is still going well. Have you been back to the clinic yet to get your emissions tested!!! I was a 40 per day smoker until last Sunday (13th Feb). I went to the NHS Smoking Clinic the week before and they did that "blow into this machine" thing on me. I registered 44. Apparently a non-smoker registers between 0-6. The machine test carbon dioxide in your lungs eek!!

Well I went back today (7 days since my last ciggy) and guess what, I registered 5.

It is hard and I don't feel any better yet. But I haven't killed anyone yet - have bitten my poor husband's head off a few times. I have already saved £60 in 7 days - Jimmy Choo here I come!!

Hope you are coping - keep going, think how much healthier, richer and nicer smelling you are!

Glynis

Well done Glynis keep it up and Joanne hope all is going well for you too.

Donna

hi glynnis well done to you too....i didnt do it through the doctor i know it would have been cheaper......but i am one of these strong minded pains in the neck and .............thought i could do it on my own no help from noone..............really my problem of not telling anyone is i felt it could be to much pressure and if i gave in would be letting other people down........i feel the same not really feeling any healthier as yet but brain wise feeling ok :lol: ........keep me posted glynnis then we can swap notes on when we start coughing up.......thingies :irked: (our lungs clearing out apparently).
it will be a week tomorrow with no ciggies...........yippee

Well done Joanne and Glynnis, you are both doing brilliantly. I said that I would be packing up today and so far I have gone 26 hours without a cigarette - have been so busy today but started to feel the munchies coming on this evening, so I am sat here having a quick look at the new posts before I go to bed so I can stop myself diving into the chocolate drawer in the fridge!!!!!

Keep up the good work girls :wink2:

Fantastic news Joanne, well done to you! Trust me, after a week, the bad physical stuff is all but over now and you've coped, it probably was really difficult at times, but you have coped. It's just the mental pitfalls you have to avoid now. A word of advice? Dont be fooled into taking nicotine gum, using patches, etc, as you'll only be introducing the drug back into your system again. If you've got this far going cold turkey, there's nothing stopping you getting through the rest of today, and if you can do today..... well, who knows? :cool:

Best of luck to Glynis and Chris also, keep up the good work. :wink2:

chrisbow said:
Well done Joanne and Glynnis, you are both doing brilliantly. I said that I would be packing up today and so far I have gone 26 hours without a cigarette - have been so busy today but started to feel the munchies coming on this evening, so I am sat here having a quick look at the new posts before I go to bed so I can stop myself diving into the chocolate drawer in the fridge!!!!!

Keep up the good work girls :wink2:
well done chris....your gonna be fine first day is the hardest...dont forget the solar oil therapy.........it really works.
and again thanks everyone for all your support woo woo one full week of non smoking.
chris..........you can do it mate :wink2:

Well done Joanne and Chris, its getting easier isn't it? I am now at 9 whole days without a ciggy. I am absolutely sick of fruit though - its all I've been munching on.

When does the yukky coughing up muck start? I'm really not looking forward to that.

We are all different and, unlike you Joanne, I found that telling people I was giving up made a lot of difference to me. I don't want to have to tell them all I failed!! I am absolutely determined now that I will never again be a smoker!!

Well done you lot! I wasn't successfull the first few times (probably didn't help having another smoker in the house!), so all due respect to you - BUT STOP TALKING ABOUT COUGHING UP NASTIES - I start gagging very time I look in here to see how yer all doing! LMAO

Has anyone's gums started bleeding yet? *L*

JackieMc said:
Well done you lot! I wasn't successfull the first few times (probably didn't help having another smoker in the house!), so all due respect to you - BUT STOP TALKING ABOUT COUGHING UP NASTIES - I start gagging very time I look in here to see how yer all doing! LMAO

What gum bleeding and coughing up nasties :Scared: (sorry Jackie)

JackieMc said:

pmsl no nasties and no bleeding gums,
rob says my skin looks brighter though................dont know if its true,
still waiting for this feel good feeling that my sister in law says she has got...lol she says she now wakes up nice and fresh.............i'm still like a bag of s**t in the morning :Scared:
glynis....the fruit i know mine is bananas and i am sick of them..........going to woolies tomorrow for some pick and mix
chris.how are you doing hun

joannerowsell said:

Apparently you'll get less wrinkles too as you won't be screwing up your face every time you exhale the smoke and it gets in yer eyes! :irked:

Every morning I wake up coughing up this yucky flem because my throat feels sooooo dry in the mornings (thought it was the pregnancy) It's not as bad as the day progresses on, it actually feels good for all that crap to come out!!

It's been about 4 weeks (a month!!!) since I've had a cigerette and as the non-officially leader of the pack(no pun intended) I say....KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK...WE CAN AND WILL DO IT!!!!! If I can stop with a smoker still smoking around me in the house I know you can!!

Boy are our lungs happy now!! :D

Just wondering how its going Joanne, My mum's done a month now :D

joannerowsell said:
still waiting for this feel good feeling that my sister in law says she has got...lol she says she now wakes up nice and fresh.............i'm still like a bag of s**t in the morning :Scared:
glynis....the fruit i know mine is bananas and i am sick of them..........going to woolies tomorrow for some pick and mix

Still sticking with it - feel better if I can keep myself busy. Got to about 4 this afternoon before I thought about cigarettes. Just keep telling myself that I don't need them. The girls are really pleased that I have packed up :biggrin:

Are you and Glynnis doing ok still? :hug:

joannerowsell said:

I have just done 6 weeks, finding it difficult, but am going for it - good luck Joanne!!

Well done to you, I have planned to quit on no smoking day this year which is 2 days away. I keep thinking if my mum can do it I surely can. I will not be using patches etc due to my high BP. So I am reading How to quit smoking forever by Alan Carr.

Latest posts

Back