first day a non smoker

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*JOANNE*

Reaction score
it has been 18 hours scince my last ciggy the longest in all the 17 years of smoking after being a 25 plus a day.
i got up this morning and put a patch on.to say i was petrified of giving up is an understatment.
the boys are on half term and rob has gone away again.
what a bizzare feeling not panic or withdrawals but its like a totally empty feeling in my stomach.
i though i would know if the patches where working but you cant feel anything physical just this hungry feeling its quite strange.
i have no ciggies in the house and i have made sure i have no money on me.
so when the boys go to bed i know that will be the test.......so i cant go out and get them which is good.
the only thing is i am thinking about fags every minute, not smoking them but just thinking about them constantly.
anyhow i am really waffling but this post is more self therapy.......anyone been through this who can offer me some words of wisdom let me know.........like when will i start to look ten years younger due to getting radiant skin back....lol.
i know 18 hours doesnt seem alot but to me its a lifetime :twisted:

joannerowsell said:
it has been 18 hours scince my last ciggy the longest in all the 17 years of smoking after being a 25 plus a day.
i got up this morning and put a patch on.to say i was petrified of giving up is an understatment.
the boys are on half term and rob has gone away again.
what a bizzare feeling not panic or withdrawals but its like a totally empty feeling in my stomach.
i though i would know if the patches where working but you cant feel anything physical just this hungry feeling its quite strange.
i have no ciggies in the house and i have made sure i have no money on me.
so when the boys go to bed i know that will be the test.......so i cant go out and get them which is good.
the only thing is i am thinking about fags every minute, not smoking them but just thinking about them constantly.
anyhow i am really waffling but this post is more self therapy.......anyone been through this who can offer me some words of wisdom let me know.........like when will i start to look ten years younger due to getting radiant skin back....lol.
i know 18 hours doesnt seem alot but to me its a lifetime :twisted:

No 18 is a very long time I remember - keep going its a hard road but worth it in the end - think of your boys....

Firstly, congratulations !

I quit smoking 3 years ago by using patches and it wasn't easy. Even after all this time, I still consider myself a smoker (even though I don't smoke anymore).

I think the thing that makes the biggest difference is if you really want to quit. If you're just doing it because you think you should be doing it or someone else is putting pressure on you, you almost certainly will fail.

Like you, all I could think about was ciggies night and day ! Some of the things I did when the cravings got really bad was to rub my patch. I don't think it made any difference as such, but psychologically I felt that I was getting more nicotine into my system. I also used to chew gum (which I hate doing) but it kept my mouth busy instead of going for the choccie bars. I also used to carry a sealed packet of ciggies in my handbag (just in case) but never used them. I think the idea of having them with me was reassuring rather than not having any at all. I also used to say to myself "I'm not smoking today, let's see how it goes", instead of thinking 12 weeks in the future and so on. Also try to avoid smokey places like pubs etc. as this will almost drive you insane !

It does get easier, but the initial 4 weeks are probably the worst ! Remain strong !

GOOD LUCK

River

Well done Joanne,

Keep as busy as you can so as not to think too much about it.
18 hours is a significant achievement ... every hour is an acheivement. Keep it up.
I've been watching those adds where the girl has now gone a month and made a little film every day of her thoughts. I gets easier.
Use us as your therapy any time you want.
We'll all be glad to help you along.
xx
Fab Freak said:
No 18 is a very long time I remember - keep going its a hard road but worth it in the end - think of your boys....

The actual physical cravings only last in your body for 24 hours, after that it's all emotional or habitual - you've done so well, and you're nearly out of the worst bit - keep it up :hug:

Tomorrow when you wake up you'll have not smoked for 32 hours (if you get up at 7.30!) that's nearly two whole days already!!

Thinking about fags will reduce as the physical cravings reduce - tomorrow you'll notice it's longer and longer between thoughts of cigarettes - before you know it, you'll have done a week and wonder what you were worrying about

Well Done!!!

xx

thanks everyone your words do make a big difference.
river i have been stroking my patch alot today...dont know if its to make sure its working or like its my little friend.
i explained to the boys about the patches and what they do, they have been brilliant but then again i got them up early took them to town and got them a toy each..........i know its bribery but its to pacify them if i'm a bit moody towards them........but no moods yet, but i think in astrange way its good rob is away as i am one of these people who needs to do things alone.
only thing is today i am constantly making myself cups of tea so all the trips to the loo are keeping me busy
thanks peeps

Well done and keep going Joanne - we're all here to support you.

Well done Joanne - I'm an ex smoker too, gave up about 2 years ago now. Just keep away from the biscuits - that was my downfall!

Do you have those awful ads over in the UK, the one where they squeeze out all this gross gunge from a 32 year old smokers aorta? Urgh - it's making me gag just thinking about it! If I was smoking now, that would be enough to get me to give up!

I've been watching the same ads as Geeg, the one where the woman gave up at the beginning of January - what a great idea! And now she's bought 2 tickets to New York by putting the money she saved from not smoking, towards them!!! Well done her. That's what you want to do, put the money aside each week that you would have spent on cigarettes, open a special little deposit account that you can't dip into all the time and make sure you do put the money in it - you'll be able tp pay for a great family holiday this time next year - something to think about!

Oh, BTW, I had those same empty feelings in my stomach - only trouble was, I tried to fill them with choccies! LOL

JackieMc said:
Oh, BTW, I had those same empty feelings in my stomach - only trouble was, I tried to fill them with choccies! LOL

like the asda bakery bucket full of shortbread hearts i bought today......................................... :lick:

Well done to you, 18 hours is excellent (although I am sure it must feel longer!).

Think you have done really well, I currently smoke and would love to give up, I will be following in your foot steps very soon.

Think stocking up on fruit and salads is good so at least you are eating healthy foods when you get those cravings.

Keep up the good work.

x

Well done Joanne - keep it up - I gave up many years ago, not easy, c but did what Geeg says and counted every hour as an achievement. It does get easier with time and you soon realise that you have gone a full day without thinking about having a ciggy. If it helps any My dad (aged 65yrs) gave up New Year 2004 after smoking since he was 11yrs old and smoked 60 a day for as long as I can remember!!!!!

Keep it up - you'll do it! :biggrin:

Well done Joanne and keep it up!

Ideas of things to do to take your mind of it - practice nails, play with your sons, housework, cooking etc.

Let us know how it goes.

Well done Joanne - first day is the hardest! I gave up 4 years ago and just thank God that I am no longer a slave to the weed! I was such a compulsive smoker that, if I can do it, anyone can. The best piece of advice I can give is don't brood on it, be happy being a non-smoker xx

Well done Joanne - you are a day in front of me - I am packing up on Monday - bought the patches and have set that day to start. Keep yourself busy you can do this - feel free to use me to sound off to as I am sure that I will need someone too. Just think no more yukky smell and you will be able to taste what you are eating - keep up the good work :hug:

Well done Joanne, Its hard but well worth it. I quit 13 years ago with no patches just cold turkey. Me and the other half quit together, we argued loads the first few weeks but its the best thing we ever did.
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well done Joanne .. You should be so proud of yourself :)

I am an exsmoker after giving up the ciggies years ago and it is hard, but so worthwhile. Just wish I could give up the sweeties now lol

Well done Joanne and everyone else who has packed up, or is on the verge of quitting. I myself smoke and think alot about giving it up but not got to the stage where I want to. Hopefully I will get to that stage soon.
Anyway Joanne keep it up you are doing so well.
Donna

well done....keep it up girl.........i am a non smoker, i have never smoked but both my parents used to smoke......my dad was the heaviest he used to demolish more than 40 a day but 6 years ago he had laser therapy and he has not smoked a fag since.....my mum has had the laser treatment 4 times plus patches and all sorts but she still cant quit......every time she tries and fails she just says oh well its the only enjoyment in my life......i dont know how anyone can call that enjoyment :irked:

my dad has however substituted his fags for food and piled on about 5 or 6 stones since he stopped so like others have said just watch what you are eating and try and snack on healthy nibbles as well as some ab fab delish choccies and biscuits :lick:

stanleyann

Way to go Joanne! You've nearly completed the first day, well done. As has been stated earlier, dont try and think too far ahead but just take one day at a time. When you get up tomorrow morning say to yourself "I am not going to smoke today". It does get easier, honest! :)

thanks everyone your words are really really helping,
i have only had for shortbread hearts....and they are only small :wink2:
i tell you what has helped and i am not taking the p***,
but everytime i get a pang i get my solar oil and solar silk out and that is really helping me especially on here where i would smoke at least ten fags and watching tv..............so i will have the best hands in the uk.....no joke it is helping it gives me something to do when i cant do anything, if you know what i mean.
so chris stock up on solar oil hun and we will have hands of a ten year old.
good luck chris,i am with you on this one we will get through together :smack:

Latest posts

Back