Full well tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignatz

Reaction score
Hi colleagues!

I'm CND trained and I was taught to always pre-tailor full well tips by cutting off most of the well and filing it into shape so that it evenly covers the natural nail free edge by 1-2 mm and not more.
I'm sure most of you agree with this.
I was just wondering what other brands teach?
I see more and more women around wearing nails that are done with full-well tips and the well has not been reduced at all!:eek:
I've also chatted over the internet with (so called) techs and even educators (?) who have never even heard of pre-tailoring and always adhere their tips just the way they are!:eek: They seem to be so stuck to their way that they can't really give their reasons for it..
The nails look ugly to me, even if properly blended, and I just can't see how on earth could they be strong enough?
Is there anyone on here who's been trained that way? Could someone explain (clearly and thoroughly, I'm blonde:lol:) why they use their full well tips with the full well? Is there a proper reason, or is it just that amateurs don't know what they're doing??

I also, if using a full well tip, reduce the well area.
The golden rule is that the well area of a tip should not cover more than 50% of the nail area.
Therefore on the clients who have longer nail beds you can get away with not reducing the well area.

THAT SAID....I still would reduce it as much as possible. Mainly because our products are all made to bond best to the nail plate, not a plastic tip. Therefore I feel I get the best adhesion of my product when I apply to as much nail plate as I can.

I think it is a bit harsh to say people who use full well tips are amateurish, possibly they are just a little out of touch with the way the industry and products have moved on over the last few years, would be a more diplomatic way of putting it lol:lol:

what id like to know is....why cant you just use a tip with no well in the first place??

IMHO, if clients are paying for nails to be like that then they really don't know real art and how acrylic nails are supposed to be done properly. Ignatz, perhaps you can offer them 1 finger acrylic nail art so that they can compare :lol:

what id like to know is....why cant you just use a tip with no well in the first place??
Me too, I prefer well less tips, why work if you dont have to.
But I do think you could have chosen your words a bit better Ignatz x

I think it is a bit harsh to say people who use full well tips are amateurish, possibly they are just a little out of touch with the way the industry and products have moved on over the last few years, would be a more diplomatic way of putting it lol:lol:

I'm sorry, I did'nt mean to be harsh and I wish no one wouln't have taken my words too seriously:green:
I just would like to know what's the point in not reducing the well. I've been trained the way I described in my previous post and I'm genuinely interested in why other systems teach other way - a way I've been taught is wrong. And no matter what I've been taught, personally I think that nothing is wrong as long as there's a good reason. That reason is what I'm after here.

And yes, Anna and Suzie, I do use well-less tips myself.

I'm sorry, I did'nt mean to be harsh and I wish no one wouln't have taken my words too seriously:green:
I just would like to know what's the point in not reducing the well. I've been trained the way I described in my previous post and I'm genuinely interested in why other systems teach other way - a way I've been taught is wrong. And no matter what I've been taught, personally I think that nothing is wrong as long as there's a good reason. That reason is what I'm after here.

And yes, Anna and Suzie, I do use well-less tips myself.

Absolutely....and I thought my :lol: would show my tongue was most definitely inmy cheek with my 'harsh' comment!!

WELL....no one has actually answered this question.
Does no one actually use a full well tip??

The only reason I would ever use the full well without reducing it would be if my client had broken her natural nail through to the nail bed, the full well could cover over it , so that I wouldn't be blending just where her injury was.

If push came to shove though I still prefer a tip with a contact area and stop point, as opposed to the well less tips....old fashioned moi??...maybe!! but I just like that snug fit.

So is no-one going to answer the main question here, or give their reasons for using a full well tip????...could be a good thread and discussion you know!!!!

I have used a full well tip on a client that had filed her own nails to the degree that she had NO side walls at all...she had filed them into a point but started much to far down the sides....so i needed to re-create sidewalls and used a full well tip.

During my college course (VCTC Level 2) we were only allowed to use full well tips and were NOT allowed to pretailor. The reason given was that we had to show that we were capable of blending a full well. I think that if a lot of colleges are teaching this way and the student doesn't question why, they may continue to use this method thinking this is how it should always be done.

When I trained we were taught (by Izzi none the less:)) to tailor a full well tip just as she has described. At that time, I dont remember Creative doing a well-less tip, so it wasnt an option during training? Do they do one now?

Well-less is so much less work imho and a better result most of the time. I still pre-tailor a bit by thinning them down and sometimes re-shaping for an awkward shaped nail but in general it must have cut a significant time off my 'full set time' iykwim.
I still keep velocity tips in my kit in case of both the problems mentioned - lack of side wall and cracked natural nail but to be honest I never use them.

The only time I think full well would be better is when you wanted to achieve a really natural look without using a cover pink on the nail. I think blending really does make the join line dissappear better than well-less. I use a cover pink in these situations but if I was a total perfectionist I might still be blending on these clients.

xx

I sculpt more now than using tips. However, using gelbond with formation tips really does create a very strong nail. Just make sure that you "rock" the tip on so that all of your excess glue ends up on top of the nail where you can wipe it away. Otherwise, your client will spend the next 2 weeks(and every tool she can find)trying to get it out!

I learnt with 'starnails' back in 1992 and we were taught with full well and to trim down and pre blend them, I have used well0less tips too but always preblend these a little too.

My friend who did the course with me went on to work in a nail bar somewhere using a different system and was told not to preblend etc... they just stuck the full welled tips on:irked: and said it was much quicker....obviously! but I'm sure the results werent as good

I have used CND full well tips on a severe nail biter, picker, destroyer whose nails plates were so sore and thin she couldn't bear for them to be touched yet alone remove cuticle and shine. She needed some sort of protection from painful bumps so I pre blended the tips and applied them using gel bond. I then applied CND Opaque Neutral and perfect white L & P. They looked nice and they were definitely strong. Next rebalance she will have a natural nail overlay as the tips have almost grown out. The end result was a very happy client with nice nails and that is what matters most to me
Cheers
Karen

Ive just been on my creative conversion and I must say I was real worried when the trainer said we were removing the well area cos Ive never done it. However, I was shocked at how much easier it was. It reduces blending time and dust too.Wow!!
I have just got my NVQ Qual and we used fairly full wells. Possibly when you first train it protects the natural nail from filing damage when your all fingers and thumbs??

At that time, I dont remember Creative doing a well-less tip, so it wasnt an option during training? Do they do one now?

Well-less is so much less work imho and a better result most of the time. I still pre-tailor a bit by thinning them down and sometimes re-shaping for an awkward shaped nail but in general it must have cut a significant time off my 'full set time' iykwim.
xx

PERFORMANCE TIPS CND's well-less tips are truly amazing, due to their flexibility and thinness, they can be applied to almost any shape and type of nail - NO pre-tailoring required, NO thinning required, NO blending required and placement on the nail plate is where the nail tech NEEDS it to be. IMO will be more than adequate for around 90% of clients.

If you haven't 'had a try', I thoroughly recommend you do - make your job easier why don't you?

I think most of the reasons for using full well tips have been covered so far. Sometimes you just need them to regularise the shape of an irregular nail plate or a bitten nail plate or for extra stability at the free edge if the plate is thin and damaged in that area.

If well blended, no one should be able to tell whether you have used a full well tip or not, and every professional should know how to apply and blend tips with a full well if the need arises. It is NOT doing nails improperly (as someone said) to use full well tips. It is just as much part of our art to apply and blend a tip perfectly as to cut out wells or use well-less tips.

New innovations like CND Performance well-less tips do make life easier for technicians who use tips, but as with all things, they do not do for every client and a good all round nail technician who understands her business will always need a variety of tips to hand for those times when she needs them.

Thanks everyone for your replies:hug:. Still it looks like I failed to make my point clear -sorry, English is not my mother tongue so I probably just can't pick the right words.
Last time I used Formation tips myself was today (I mainly sculpt -when possible- and when using tips I prefer the well-less -when possible-). My question wasn't about full-well tips in general; I know how to use them -according to the system I was trained with.
It just seems to remain a mystery to me, why full sets on visibly healthy nails are done without reducing the well?

It just seems to remain a mystery to me, why full sets on visibly healthy nails are done without reducing the well?

There have been reasons as to why...:confused:

Thanks everyone for your replies:hug:. Still it looks like I failed to make my point clear -sorry, English is not my mother tongue so I probably just can't pick the right words.
Last time I used Formation tips myself was today (I mainly sculpt -when possible- and when using tips I prefer the well-less -when possible-). My question wasn't about full-well tips in general; I know how to use them -according to the system I was trained with.

I think I understand your question now. You want to know, why would anyone still use a full well tip, on a perfectly good nail, when they can make life easier by reducing it?

Old habits die hard?
Maybe the technician doesn't know how to reduce the well?
Maybe in the technician's mind a full well tip lasts longer?

Who knows why people do not embrace new innovations and ideas?
Frightened of trying something new? Look at the reaction when PopIts were first introduced. Everyone slated the idea before they had ever seen it or even knew what they were. Many tried them once, didn't do it perfectly and gave up!! some have tried them many times and not done them well and have given up. BUT we all know they can be done well and beautifully by some ... those people are the ones who have taken 'ownership' of them, taken a class and use them perfectly and are making money from them.

Many seem to just stick in their comfort zone and never move on.

Latest posts

Back