Geeg doing a DVD? All those in favour, say aye!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry everyone my post probably was weird....I thought I was at the end of the post and I wasn't..ha ha. Anyway I do agree with needing real nail issue not starting with a perfect nail. I don't know if I ever have had a client come in that wanted an enhancment with perfectly shaped and healthy nails. Especially with the discount salons and the client I have received from them never have lovely nails! Most people that come in with those type of nails just want a manicure (from my experience).

I agree with Deena too. I would like to see the trashed/oddly shaped nails get rebalanced/done from start to finish. By you. :) Alot of these vids already out there are always showing different ways of working, different ways to you which you discribe in your book and it all can get confussing for me.

I agree with Deena here too.

College tuition isn't all that great. I'm currently being shown one very quick demo and then being told to get on with it, play with colours and don't even get started on infills and maintenance, we have to practically make it up as we go along!

I would love to see how gorgeous nails can be created on every day, Jo Bloggs nails. What I am more likely to be working on more than near perfect nails that don't even need work done on them.

I would love to see processes from start to finish and from someone I admire and respect as much as you.

Perhaps you could do a few dvds. Full sets, rebalances, l&p and gel, Shellac & DD etc so people can buy what they want. In most cases that would be all dvds produced! I certainly would purchase them as I think I could learn a lot.

I would love a DVD not because I am not able to see/imagine all your techniques from a book, but because no matter how much I try I loose something in translation in YOUR book (and all foreign books). I always wonder if I got this or that right, and yes the way to hold the file is one of them.:lol:

Then the thickness of the nail, I am embarrased to share, but I am not able to "see" measurements if you know what I mean. I cannot tell (other than experience and knowledge) if a finger is 10 cm or 50 cm, or if there are 50 kilogram or 100 kilogram in a can. I can produce nails and now know the thickness because I have been doing it so long, but in the beginning I really struggled with too much product as 1 mm to me was in fact 2 or 3 in real life:o Maybe others feel the same way?

Besides that I just love to se different techs work, because everybody has their little thing that sets them apart from others, and I always look for those little things that might fit me and make me better (and eventually faster)

Ditto what nolimit has said, with regards to judgement of length/size etc...

I was told a joke once, it's kind of visual...
It's about a woman in a hardware store, looking to buy XYZ-number of inches of pipe. And she says to the sales clerk (imagine her holding her hands up, a sparse 3" apart)
"But he told me this was 6":rolleyes: LOL

Anyway, that's not 'why' I'm not good at measuring things :lol:
But don't ask me how many kilometers away the corner store is, or how many feet wide my driveway is etc... Without a ruler etc, I have no idea.

I would honestly LOVE a "DVD Collection" that covers ALLLL the bases.
It seems that we have to buy DVD after DVD after DVD to get everything we need. It becomes costly in the end (because let's face it, packaging and shipping of each individual DVD adds to the total cost....)

I think a complete collection would show:
  • Basics of L&P and UV Gel (prep incl really really bad eponychium/cuticle, tip & overlay (incl flat nails or odd shapes that need adjusting of the tip, Sculpt, P&W, CBM)
  • Scarey/banged up Nails and different kinds of repairs
  • Uncommon shaped nails needing a makeover (saddling tips on biters, parrotbeak nails, etc...)
  • Poppits
  • Tips & Tricks
  • Efiling (infill, rebalance, trenching the smile line)
  • Perfect Polish & polish tricks
  • Repairs for natural nails
  • Work tricks (to work efficiently)
These are things all techs need to know. And it seems we're scrambling all over the place trying to learn it all because most courses don't cover it all (at least where I'm at); most particularly that 'challenge' nails that we don't see every day. I'm sure there's more that needs adding to the list.

PS: then of course, if someone wanted to be really generous, add a section with all the differerent shapes such as; almond, stilletoe, square, oval, squoval, edge, pipe :) and detail the specific tricks/tips that make these shapes stand out on their own and how to achieve them perfectly.

Last edited:
Ditto what nolimit has said, with regards to judgement of length/size etc...

I was told a joke once, it's kind of visual...
It's about a woman in a hardware store, looking to buy XYZ-number of inches of pipe. And she says to the sales clerk (imagine her holding her hands up, a sparse 3" apart)
"But he told me this was 6":rolleyes: LOL

Anyway, that's not 'why' I'm not good at measuring things :lol:
But don't ask me how many kilometers away the corner store is, or how many feet wide my driveway is etc... Without a ruler etc, I have no idea.

I would honestly LOVE a "DVD Collection" that covers ALLLL the bases.
It seems that we have to buy DVD after DVD after DVD to get everything we need. It becomes costly in the end (because let's face it, packaging and shipping of each individual DVD adds to the total cost....)

I think a complete collection would show:
  • Basics of L&P and UV Gel (prep incl really really bad eponychium/cuticle, tip & overlay (incl flat nails or odd shapes that need adjusting of the tip, Sculpt, P&W, CBM)
  • Scarey/banged up Nails and different kinds of repairs
  • Uncommon shaped nails needing a makeover (saddling tips on biters, parrotbeak nails, etc...)
  • Poppits
  • Tips & Tricks
  • Efiling (infill, rebalance, trenching the smile line)
  • Perfect Polish & polish tricks
  • Repairs for natural nails
  • Work tricks (to work efficiently)
These are things all techs need to know. And it seems we're scrambling all over the place trying to learn it all because most courses don't cover it all (at least where I'm at); most particularly that 'challenge' nails that we don't see every day. I'm sure there's more that needs adding to the list.

PS: then of course, if someone wanted to be really generous, add a section with all the differerent shapes such as; almond, stilletoe, square, oval, squoval, edge, pipe :) and detail the specific tricks/tips that make these shapes stand out on their own and how to achieve them perfectly.

Not much for me to do then Victoria ... easy! :lol:

Not much for me to do then Victoria ... easy! :lol:

You could whip that out in NO TIME lol
AND yours would be the ONLY "DVD" out there that gets the job DONE.
When I look at my DVDs and collection of videos downloaded from Youtube... they leave me with questions as I'm sure they've left other techs.

Just a small example... when the camera is zoomed in on the nail.. and the brush is not within view... WHAT is that brush doing?
We know it's getting dipped into monomer & then powder BUT we don't know exactly how. Is the tech touching a paper towel? how much of the brush is immersed? etc etc...
Every little detail counts.

Little things like "whoops, having an 'off' day and I just got product on the skin and didn't see it before it cured, NOW what do I do?"

I haven't come across a single video yet that didn't leave me with at LEAST one question.

And who else better than the Queen of Nails to make sure we have an entire encyclopedia of nails on DVD all in one place :green:

Just a small example... when the camera is zoomed in on the nail.. and the brush is not within view... WHAT is that brush doing?
We know it's getting dipped into monomer & then powder BUT we don't know exactly how. Is the tech touching a paper towel? how much of the brush is immersed? etc etc...
Every little detail counts.

Now this is something I'm always wondering. We get told so many different things; clean brush between applying powder and patting it out, don't clean brush, dry the brush on paper towl etc

I love watching videos on how to create nails, in fact was up until 2am watching the videos on Nail Angel, but I'm always still left with questions. I feel I need to see and be told what's happening, why they are doing it, what to do with the brush when it's out of shot.

I think the DVD collection is a brilliant idea, and I'm sure you would manage it no time Geeg.

Gigi darling.... I would think after 6pages....(and these are NOT the first posts ever asking when you are putting out a DVD...) that you'd know this IS in demand and WILL sell.
Stop lumping yourself in the same barrel as other techs with regards to "it's been done". You're unique. You're special. We know that. You need to know that too!
We want YOU, not some copy-cat of you.

Sam!! Get to work!! Get your Momma set up! :green:

PS: she needs her own web-page too, even if it's only a 'Bio'.

:green:

PS: she needs her own web-page too, even if it's only a 'Bio'.

:green:

V ... I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO ALL THAT STUFF and how would that benefit anyone? Maybe if I do a series of small videos rather than a series of DVD's .. free for those who would like to look? maybe then I would need a web page or site to put them in.

Yes I think a DVD by Geeg would be a brilliant idea I would buy it straight away

Ruby

V ... I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO ALL THAT STUFF and how would that benefit anyone? Maybe if I do a series of small videos rather than a series of DVD's .. free for those who would like to look? maybe then I would need a web page or site to put them in.

Well, when I tried to create a link for YOU on my new site, I googled and couldn't find a page for you.
A 'teensy' site for you would include your bio, a personal word from you, your BOOK, and either A) your free videos or B)your DVD's for sale :)
OR it could all link back to Sweet squared for purchasing of said items.

But at least when peeps googled you, they could find you :green:

Sam's good at that stuff. If he's too busy (and I'm sure that he is very busy with business and family AND salongeek), I will BET that there are several helpful geeks on this site that would LOVE to design a site for you
:wink2:
I would, but I'm not 'that' good yet and you'd wind up with nasty Tripod with popups which really doesn't suit a classy lady such as yourself.:hug:

Would be soooooo helpful forus newbies - give her her own tv channel too while we're at it lol

All the dvd's that are out show how to do things when everything is straight forward as has already been said, beautiful nails on already beautiful hands that would grace any nail poster in any salon window.Yes I'd love to see Geeg do this but a dvd about trouble shooting isn't available so who better to do it !!! Any chance :?: please :)

I think that's a great idea! I have Geeg's book and think it's great, but I think a DVD would be even better! I found a lot of the Youtube videos are really bad quality (not close enough to learn anything). I say aye!:)

No thanks, I wouldn't buy it. The book was simple and taught me nothing.

Cheers for that nice comment, Amanda.

I do believe that you are principally a gel technician and my book is about liquid and powder techniques primarily ... So to be fair, it wouldn't really be the book for you now would it. :hug: plus I think from the thread title we are talking about videos or DVD's and what technicians would find most beneficial to them. Have a pleasant weekend.

Last edited:

That's nice, I wish I knew everything so geeg had nothing to teach me :rolleyes:

I have been lucky enough to attend a few of Gigi's classes and they were the most inspiring I have ever taken.

Gigi, I know you have said in the past you don't want to do a dvd but as others have said I would adore the possibility of hearing your voice and your 'no holds barred' way of teaching the nitty gritty of being behind the table as a tech.

Don't know if this has been suggested but maybe you could do them for a good cause/charity I am happy to pay whatever it takes :green:

Last edited:
geeg takes snarky comments way better than me, haha! free vids would be super but you might as well make a little money for it! Just make the dvd available in the states and I'll buy it! All videos available do indeed seem to use perfect model fingers with perfect long gorgeous straight nail beds, which looks lovely but leaves lots of questions when people come in with crooked fingers, bitten down nails, eggshell nails etc.

Latest posts

Back