Gellish or Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wear my shellac for 2 weeks and I am heavy handed, clean, garden etc so put it to the test, I have found out that nail harmony is putting gelish into sallys so I definatley won't touch it now, thank god for s2!!!

Shellac lasts me and all our clients more than two weeks so to say it only lasts a week would tell me it wasn't applied correctly! Geeg is correct.

Again, you can use a UV lamp with Gelish, it just takes a little more time to cure.
The polish choice is far more extensive (48) compared to Shellac (24). They cost about the same; however, I find that I can polish more clients per bottle of Gelish, hence they are less expensive in the long run.
The application process is the same.
Sorry, but that's not true... there is no dry brushing of the base coat with Shellac!
The application of Shellac is no different than that of an enamel (apart from the UV curing), which includes no removal of shine from the natural nail BEFORE application.
I know some techs say that this isn't necessary, but the instructional video advised it!

The soak off is 10 minutes just like Shellac, the only difference is you must buff the surface of the polish before beginning the soak off process.

Personally, I like both products but I find Gelish to be more durable.
It may be more durable because it's a soak off gel, which is different to Shellac.
You know, I'm not picking specifically, (and this is not directed towards you personally, but in general) but I do get a bit fed up of seeing a lot of techs saying how Shellac and Gelish are the same kind of product... they're not, and we must treat them as individual products, as opposed to putting them in the same class/group.

You know, I'm not picking specifically, (and this is not directed towards you personally, but in general) but I do get a bit fed up of seeing a lot of techs saying how Shellac and Gelish are the same kind of product... they're not, and we must treat them as individual products, as opposed to putting them in the same class/group.

Valencian Nails is correct.

CND calls Shellac it's POWER POLISH. It is the ONLY true hybrid polish on the market. It is the science behind Shellac that makes it unique. Shellac works by the patent pending UV3 new technology. It contains solvents which makes it go on like polish, it wears LIKE gel because it contains monomers, and it comes off in 10 mins because of new quick release polymers technology. It is NOT a gel in a bottle. Shellac is in it's own league and category.

Gelish (and all the other brands) are called 'gel-polish' because it is a gel in a bottle. So it is a misuse of information if you group these gel-polishes with Shellac.

Valencian Nails is correct.

CND calls Shellac it's POWER POLISH. It is the ONLY true hybrid polish on the market. It is the science behind Shellac that makes it unique. Shellac works by the patent pending UV3 new technology. It contains solvents which makes it go on like polish, it wears LIKE gel because it contains monomers, and it comes off in 10 mins because of new quick release polymers technology. It is NOT a gel in a bottle. Shellac is in it's own league and category.

Gelish (and all the other brands) are called 'gel-polish' because it is a gel in a bottle. So it is a misuse of information if you group these gel-polishes with Shellac.

Exactly right.

The only thing that is common between Shellac and any gel polish that is in a bottle is ... the bottle lol Anyone who does not understand that does not know anything about Shellac.

My natural nail clients do not want gel on their nails .. they want a polish that is instantly dry, has a mirror finish and lasts for weeks. They want their nails to stay healthy and they want quick removal and a fast turn around service. All of those things they get with Shellac. Shellac stands in a league of its own and is unique in its category ... there is nothing else remotely like it which we think is very cool indeed.

If technicians are gel users then they will prefer to stick in their comfort zone with what they know and use already gels ...

Manicurists who love their natural nail clients will prefer the features and benefits of Shellac. I don't see that there is any real conflict - one is one thing and the other is another - horses for courses.

Hello

The gelish seems to be in the same category like shellac and I think gelish as easy to apply. If you get twice the amount of polish for the money then gelish is a better value.

The gelish color selections is good.because the polish stays on so I think gelish will be just as good. Gelish also has a product that comes in a jar that you can put on before the polish but it is supposed to offer more strength to your nails or cover nail breakage.

Gelish and others like it are not gel "polishes." They are simply gels in a polish bottle rather than the old-school gels in pots...for ease of use. Don't get me wrong, I like Gelish and some of my clients prefer it to Shellac for it durability (usually 3 weeks) and color choices (48). Gelish soaks off just like Shellac after some initial buffing to "break the surface." But Shellac is really the only gel-polish hybrid system on the market and is truly in a league all it's own. For ease of use, Shellac hands-down is the superior product.

Exactly right.

The only thing that is common between Shellac and any gel polish that is in a bottle is ... the bottle lol Anyone who does not understand that does not know anything about Shellac.

My natural nail clients do not want gel on their nails .. they want a polish that is instantly dry, has a mirror finish and lasts for weeks. They want their nails to stay healthy and they want quick removal and a fast turn around service. All of those things they get with Shellac. Shellac stands in a league of its own and is unique in its category ... there is nothing else remotely like it which we think is very cool indeed.

If technicians are gel users then they will prefer to stick in their comfort zone with
what they know and use already gels ...
Manicurists who love their natural nail clients will prefer the features and benefits of
Shellac. I don't see that there is any real conflict - one is one thing and the other is another - horses for courses.

This is the 1st time I've truly understood what the difference between shellac and other competitors products were. Thanks for posting it. When you look at things this way there's no comparison!

This point needs to be splashed everywhere by cnd!!

I'm still in the huff with them for discontinuing all the old school polish colours that are now the shellac colours though

I certainly do not take it personally. These forums are informative and are about opinion and learning.

I know that Gelish and Shellac are not the same type of product and I do delineate. In my application of both products, I no longer buff the nail plate and now allow my curette to do the work. So for me application is, indeed, the same for both products and my clients have been very happy with the longevity of their treatments and have seen no premature lifting or peeling. So it is possible to do a good Gelish application without buffing the nail plate.

I must admit an affinity for Gelish. Even with my love of Gelish, I still feel Shellac is the superior product.

I looked into different brands and was so tempted to go with pro polish because it was cheaper. But after reading a few thread on here I thought I was better off going with Shellac. Even though it was more expensive, I thought that if I have any problems with pro polish and decide to change to Shellac then it wouldn't end up cheaper.

So anyway I bought Shellac lamp and rack b last month, spent time practising it on family and kept doing mine. I did come across a few problems but that was down to me applying it, remembering to use moisturer etc after the shellac itself. 2 weeks ago I emailed client's telling them about shellac and added to to my website. I can not believe how many people have gone for it and client's love it. I'm getting new client's asking for it. Clients know about it and i'm so glad that I chose Shellac, I have more than made my money back from it in a short space of time.

I explain to client's that it's a longer, stronger nail polish. Client's love the high shine and the staying power. And it really does last longer then one week, I pick at mine and normal polish only really lasts to the end of the day, I get two weeks from my shellac and only the other day my other half said about my nails, he said they look so much better than polish they don't chip and how shiny they are. And for a man to notice that's saying something lol.

Why not try the shellac and gelish on yourself, find somewhere local, that way you get a feel of both products.

has anyone tried ARTISTIC COLOR GLOSS BY TOM BACHIK....
what are your reviews on it as im thinking of getting this range

Shellac really lasts! I did Tutti Frutti on clients hands and feet on Thursday 28th April. She was going abroad on holidays so luckily for me I had read on Salon Geek about suncreams etc and was able to inform her of same and tell her to ensure she wipes it off her nails. I have spoken to her this morning and she was delighted with her shellac. It is still on and still shiny. The only problem of course is the gap from natural nail growth but what else would you expect after 2days short of 4 weeks!!

Shellac truelly has staying power. This is a client who was Sheallaced on the 9th of April and came back today for her reshellac 6 weeks and 3 days after her service. No chipping lifting Nada. This client regularly goes 5 weeks between her appointments and the only issue with the shellac is the regrowth.
Apply it correctly and use it as a complete service these are the results you will get....
229182_10150208321037962_615977961_7011394_822561_n.jpg

And as for limited colour choice where is your imagination.
There may only be 24 actual colours but with layering options there are over 100+ possibilities. The limit is your own imagination.
Jen

I have to admit, I was one of the ones who felt Shellac was limited by color option...until I joined this forum. Once I saw the magnificent color combinations that have been created and started experimenting on my own, fuhgeddaboudit! It's just like playing in makeup.

Busybee32 that regrowth is amazing. I am clearly still getting somthing wrong as mine chips from the free edge sometimes within 2 or 3 days. :( I may watch the videos by Geeg about sealing the free edge again tonight.

Are you sealing the free edge?

Shellac truelly has staying power. This is a client who was Sheallaced on the 9th of April and came back today for her reshellac 6 weeks and 3 days after her service. No chipping lifting Nada. This client regularly goes 5 weeks between her appointments and the only issue with the shellac is the regrowth.
Apply it correctly and use it as a complete service these are the results you will get....
229182_10150208321037962_615977961_7011394_822561_n.jpg

And as for limited colour choice where is your imagination.
There may only be 24 actual colours but with layering options there are over 100+ possibilities. The limit is your own imagination.
Jen

She could always put polish over to hide the regrowth asit is usually only the ends that chip & it wont be seen when the colour is the same underneath.

She could always put polish over to hide the regrowth asit is usually only the ends that chip & it wont be seen when the colour is the same underneath.
Sorry Poohbear but I don't really understand your reply.
My picture was to show that shellac when applied correctly as a system has true staying power that someone previously said only lasted a week.
Why would my client want to fill in the growth at the bottom when she was coming for a reshellac?
Jen

Sorry Poohbear but I don't really understand your reply.
My picture was to show that shellac when applied correctly as a system has true staying power that someone previously said only lasted a week.
Why would my client want to fill in the growth at the bottom when she was coming for a reshellac?
Jen

Opps sorry busybee. Flicking through different posts & talking to someone else at the same time,I read it wrongly....note to self -concentate on one thing at a time:smack:

just started using shellac and also gellac... not sure which i like right now but having problems with both lifting ... and peeling off in a few days.. what am I doing wrong?

just started using shellac and also gellac... not sure which i like right now but having problems with both lifting ... and peeling off in a few days.. what am I doing wrong?

Have you taken a class with either product? For sure you are doing something wrong. How can we answer that questiion?

Latest posts

Back