German shepards not eating

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cro-mari

Reaction score
Ok, this is way off topic, but still, I hope there'll be help from someone who knows better about this.

Here's the thing: my boyfriend left for a business trip and I'm watching his two female german shepards.
Now those are two fine ladies age 9.
They usually eat those canned food meat with stuff things, but lately they leave it half, or almost everything untouched.

My bf tried with different food, not much success either.
He said, give them that canned food, and I said what if they refuse, and he said - try to cook them something, I'll take them to the vet when I come back, even though they look healthy otherwise.

Argh. So here I am, alone with two hungry dogs walking around me and watching me with sad eyes. I don't want to bug my bf because he's on important meetings and call in roaming. So I cooked pasta and mixed with fried eggs, or chicken leftovers or something, or cream cheese and milk, and they ate it like crazy. Next day, they smelled it and left.

But I've read somewhere that human food is not good for dogs?
Anyone with advice? I don't know about dogs, just have good will to help... I hate to see them hungry...

Some dogs won't eat much when their "master" is away (my dog is like that, and unless I'm in same room with him, won't eat his dinner).

Don't give them people food.
Keep offering them the regular dog food. You could try warming it up in the microwave for a few seconds to make it a bit more appetizing (instead of cold gelatinous glop lol). My dog has to have his warmed :lol:

How is their behaviour otherwise? Are they drinking water? Do they still want to play and go for walks? Are their noses wet? Do they go to the bathroom regularly? What consistency are the poops? (sorry to ask LOL)
If they have no other symptoms, in all likelihood, it's his absence that's the issue.

hth's

They may just be missing your boyfriend babes, Dogs are funny creature and will sometimes go a few days without food, Try them with some rice and chicken most will eat this and remember they wont starve themselves :)

They may just be missing your boyfriend babes, Dogs are funny creature and will sometimes go a few days without food, Try them with some rice and chicken most will eat this and remember they wont starve themselves :)

I totally agree! Best of luck to you and the girls! :hug:

Thank you, dear girls :)

Well, I have been around them for a few months now and they got used to me, ate whenever I fed them (with or without my bf around), they come to me to pet them and they seem to like me.
They are refusing food for some time now, even when they are with him alone. That's why he advised me to cook a little pasta for them, that seemed to work a trick for awhile.

Their noses - well, let me check - I don't know, it seems shiny, but not dripping...

And as for their behaviour, they are the same - those are good dogs, well behaved, and nothing seems to be changed. As I said, they are pretty old, so they don't run or jump much... we have huuuge back yard so we don't walk them in usual sense... and I don't see their poop... they are not nervous, reacting well when called, just standing in the kitchen and saying with their eyes - gimme something... maybe they are just old and want something gentler (so to speak) to eat...

Will try that, thank you :)
Ah, I'm cooking all day long these days :green: so one meal more or less... :green:

Have you tried them with some raw foods hun? Cooked pasta and rice is fine in moderation as are some human veggies but I wouldn't go too mad with them.

Try offering them small meals often - perhaps a tinned food with small amount of pasta mixed in at morning feed, some raw meat for lunch ( raw chicken is fine as the bones don't splinter then, as it lamb and beef but avoid pork as it upsets the tum ) and then give them some dried mix of an evening with plenty of water to hand in case they decide to eat of a night.

The joy of the BARF ( bones and raw feed ) diet is that they get everything they need from it including dental health and internal cleansing :)

I have two dogs and they often don't eat or eat little when i am away.

They also eat lightly if the weather is hot.

One thing that dogs will usually eat is a bit of cereal with milk, something like shredded wheat. Its perfectly healthy, its in my dog book and mine normally love it.

But, as the others said, a hungry dog will eat. I agree, leave a bowl of dog biscuits out beside their water bowl, as they won't go off, and if they feel a bit hungry they'll have some.

I'm sure that they'll be fine in a few days, so don't worry too much xxx

Oh, how many advice, thanks everyone!
I was worried because I don't know about dogs... and looks like they are ok now, sleeping peacefully...

Thanks again for helping :hug: (I mean, Gita and Rea will be thankfull :))

Hello I have a german shepherd and he has days like this where he just won't touch his food at all just looks at it sniffs and nothing, usually after 3 days he will eat, he never eats his food all in one go either he will have a small amount in the morning then abit more lunch then the rest when my hubby comes home from work, no one can believe the way he is as they expect him to wolf it all down fast lol, we have changed his food so many times it's untrue all to no avail I think it may be german shepherds lol, as long as their noses are wet and they seem generally healthy and are drininking, I wouldn't worry unless it goes on for more than say 3 or 4 days :)

dogs are pack animals they are tamed wolves !! and Alsatians are there closest relatives when your boyfriend feeds them he acts as pack leader he is basically bringing home the kill to them
In the dogs mind hes on a hunting trip and they feel uneasy about taking food from you,as you are not the pack leader they wont starve themselves but they wont feed like normal till he returns from his hunting trip!!
dont fret :hug::hug: can you tell i am a big fan of ceaser the dog whisperer !!

Last edited:
I worked in pet nutrition for 7 years and am an official PNA (pet nutrition advisor:green:) one of the things you shouldn't do is keep chopping and changing the food as they will expect it all the time. As what has been said, they are probably protesting because the pack leader is away. It's a good idea to avoid dairy foods as this can upset their stomachs (also frequently changing their food can do that - runny poop :()

Dried food is the best to go by, it's much healthier for the dog, and cleaner and easier for the owner, also, with the age of the dogs they would benefit from eating a senior dog food. You could try some senior dried kibble with a bit of minced tripe on top to temp them, but avoid any foods with lots of colourful bits as this mean lots of sugar and E numbers (the ones that are banned from human food btw) and avoid food like Bakers, Pedigree and Beta etc as these only actually contain 4% of the stated flavour (if that makes sense?) the rest is chicken, pig and cow guts, heads, feet and god knows what else! Oh and putting the food in the microwave for about 10 seconds heats it enough for the smells to come out, dogs can't taste much and go on smell :green:

Thanks again to everyone, you really helped me and eased my mind (and their apetite :green:)

Hello,

my dogs are German Shepherds and they tend to be picky eaters, not sure if thats peculiar to the breed.

However, if the dogs have been happy to accept food from you in the absence of your partner in the past its worth consulting a vet. GSD's are prone to gastric torsion which can occur if you feed them shortly before or after exercise, and this could put them off their food (amongst other symptoms & signs). Even if its not that, it might be another problem that a vet could help with.

Good luck with them, enjoy having them they are wonderful dogs.

Thanks, 'chelle,
we'll certanly do that, as they need their regular check up these days... now they seem to be fine, I bought another canned food brand and they seem to like it. I just warm it up a bit, as advised above, and it's fine.

Latest posts

Back