Happy Geek Day!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Happy Birthday SalonGeek.com! Today is the 'official' 7th birthday of the worlds largest online community of salon professionals.

I say official because that was the date the site became a community.

samuelsweet_opening.jpg

SalonGeek.com originally started out on August 6th, 2002 as samuelsweet.com which in itself was really an outlet for my programming hobby and a repository for my articles I had written. Within a short few months, I launched the message forums primarily as a way to be able to discuss many of the emails I received from the site 'in public'. That way I could refer people to threads instead of copy+paste the same replies about lift prevention over and over and over again. Thus on January 9th, 2003 samuelsweet.com opened the forums and people started to register.

samuelsweet.jpg

It sure as busy back in the day :)

Day 1 there was one sign up.
Day 2, there were 3
Day 3 we exploded in memberships. Including Mrs Geek (she slacked) Fiona (NaturalNails)!

Memberlist in order of sign-ups

I remember the days watching the "Who's online" and getting all excited when we saw someone pop on! Even more if 2 people were on at the same time!

Within a year, the site had become its own entity through activity in the forums. The time came to ditch my name so the site became thenailgeek.com.

thenailgeek.jpg
For the 1 year anniversary, I changed software and servers to accommodate the growing stream (read: river) of users.

salongeek.jpg

Over the years, we grew and evolved. In 2006, we opened the door to Hair and Skin Geeks and re-branded as SalonGeek.com and haven't really changed too much since then.

We have gone through:
  • Quizes
  • GeekBay (thank god that's gone)
  • 150 differen't chat rooms :(
  • 4 Servers
  • 3 forum systems
  • 6 designers
  • 281 bans (virtually all spammers)
  • a lot of laughs
So whats in store for for the future?

The team has been working behind the scenes on the next evolution of SalonGeek.com one which will better serve the professional community in a number of ways. I have been working for some time on this next step and I expect that we should be able to reveal within the next month or so.

Through ups and downs, SalonGeek.com has always been one of my biggest sources of pride. To me, this site represents all that is wonderful in our industry: Creativity, community, sharing, thirst for knowledge and development, and finally: passion. I for one am very proud that is what you have made it.

Happy Birthday SalonGeek.com.

Attachments

• sam_sweet.gif
    sam_sweet.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 124
Happy Geek Day Sam, and to everyone else. I'm so grateful for this site, and the friends I have made. Each and every person here is amazing in their own way and makes this site the unique place it is. I just realised I have been here for just over 4 years, wow time flew!!

Here's to the next 7 years!! :hug::hug:

Last edited:
Well i will be the first of many i'm sure to say a great big

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

and an even bigger THANKYOU for adding so much fun and giving so much support over the years
xxx

Hey Min you beat me to it, i wanted to be first!!!

A very Happy Birthday to Salon Geek and I just want to say thank you for such a brilliant site, that I am totally addicted to :hug:

Happy Birthdaaaay xx

happy_birthday_balloons.gif

Happy Geek day everyone :hug:
I can truly hand on heart say if it had not been for this site I would have given up nails many years ago and certainly would never have made it to Grand Master :hug:

Happy Birthday Salongeek.com .......... its been a pleasure and will continue to be for many years to come....:hug:

happy birthday its been fun being part of it for nearly 7 years :hug:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SALONGEEK

I miss the geekmolians........they were soooooooo cool !!!!

Happy Birthday Salongeek. :hug:

Happy birthday Salon Geek - OMG have I been bothering you that long LOL.

xx

happy birthday sg xxx and well done sam xxx its been a blast and look forward to many more years xxx

Sam, I would like to send you a heart felt thank you for all your time and effort you and the team have put in over the years. I really would be lost without this site and all the fantastic geeks we have on here.

I truly have learned so much from this site more than I could have from any course and all for free, and for all the support and friends I have made.

So Happy Geek Day Everyone

And Happy Birthday Salon Geek xx:hug:xx

Happy geeky Birthday to all of us xxx
Where have the last 7 years gone, I signed up on the 12.1.03 and it has been and still is, a pleasure and a priviledge to be part of it all.
Thanks Sam for being the Man behind the machine of innovation and education for all of us xxxx

Happy birpday SG and all who sail in her :hug:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

I joined in 2007 and I was so amazed at all the content here and those who donated their time and knowledge to all us new techs. I always wondered what life was like in the early days and it is great to see screenshots and learn some history behind the site. I am a member of a few forums but I am especially proud to be a member here and to have met such a great group of friends and fellow techs here.

Well done to all who spent their valuable time creating the site and for sharing it with us all!

xxx

An amazing place to be.

Thank you Sam for inventing such a wonderful resource xxxx

Happy Birthday and many more of them I hope xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug:

Happy birthday
Salon Geek
xxxx

Latest posts

Back