Has Minx had its day

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate1982

Reaction score
Been wondering this for a while.
I have seen a steady decline in interest in Minx and I don't think it is just because of the colder months.
A lot of my clients (particularly the more At least I thought it was until she told me they were from Boots and cost her £2.50 and she had applied them 3 weeks earlier. I couldn't deny they were still perfect.
And then yesterday a client was having her hair done in the salon and she whipped out a big wad of nail wraps. (they had no name on them but looked like Kooky wraps. She announced to everyone in the salon she was selling them for £3.50. All our clients flocked round and we were left gob smacked. I really didn't know what to say without coming across very resentful.
Plus there have been numerous other clients buying the off ebay etc. I know this is an old topic on people doing diy jobs etc but 9/10 whe I see Minx on my clients now they have done it themselves.
Has anyone else noticed a decline in their Minxes?

I've noticed the same but I still have clients who love them but ur rite a steady decline in people asking for them . I love Minx and I hope they have some exciting new patterns coming soon .
I also think the cheaper versions don't have the high quality u get with Minx. And patterns arent as great x

I have found that the clients that had minx last year are wanting just shellac this year and some with crystals, and I've got new minx clients this year, the thing is it's so good and lasts so long! :)

I can't believe she had the cheek to try and sell them in your salon. I wouldn't stand for that!!

I have to say I have been doing loads of minx this year, its best thing but the last couple of weeks slowed down but I think thats the colder weather xxx

I've done less minx but more shellac & rockstar toes! Think people like a change xx

I've done less minx but more shellac & rockstar toes! Think people like a change xx

I have only recently started providing Minx. It is fairly popular, but Shellac & gelish are flying in comparison. I am finding that quite a lot of my clients like to mix Minx (on on nail on each hand) with thier extensions or Shellac/Gelish.

I think you are right, clients like to have a change and there are certainly enough products to be able to do that and keep things fresh.

I have done less Minx since I started offering Shellac rock star, but I think Minx is still popular. Cheaper alternatives are just not the same.

Over the summer I did loads & of course it's slowed down a bit now due to the cold weather....BUT I'm pretty sure it'll be flying out of it's packets once party season kicks in next month. :)

I've been doing a lot of Minx layering over Shellac, this has been REALLY popular, of course it helps when you wear it yourself and your client can have a nosey, try it & see if that helps! So, the client upgrades their service, I make a bit more money for a little extra time... Win/win!

So, in answer to the op's question, I definitely don't think it's on it's way out, I just think we need to think of other ways to promote it! :) x

After seeing it on a CND ambassador we played with doing your signature finger with Naja Johnny today (the lace one), omg it looks amazing over shellac. It looks really funky on the one nail on each hand. I am sure there are always new ways of making something popular. There were ques of people at Manchester buying it, so it must be doing well still. I think you are right people like a change and there is nothing like giving an idea by wearing it yourself. I am new to minx though so obviously I am all excited right now xxx

Clients can't do prep on themselves so they are not practicing good hygiene or doing their nails any favours. I would maybe educate them about sealing something on the nail without prep, yak the bacteria for one. Ask for the lady selling stuff I don't know how you kept quiet, other than being totally taken aback!

Over the summer I did loads & of course it's slowed down a bit now due to the cold weather....BUT I'm pretty sure it'll be flying out of it's packets once party season kicks in next month. :)

I've been doing a lot of Minx layering over Shellac, this has been REALLY popular, of course it helps when you wear it yourself and your client can have a nosey, try it & see if that helps! So, the client upgrades their service, I make a bit more money for a little extra time... Win/win!

So, in answer to the op's question, I definitely don't think it's on it's way out, I just think we need to think of other ways to promote it! :) x

hi,
Do you mean you do a Shellac and then Minx design on top - is this to help the Minx last longer on fingernails - and, if so, doesn't this prove to be expensive? Or am I totally misreading what you mean?
Jes x

Yep Shellac first, then a Minx design over the top. But I don't do this to make the Minx last any longer, it's for effect, and a very cool effect at that! ;) I charge accordingly depending on how much Minx I use.

If layering I tend to use the new Naja designs, which have cut outs of patterns so when you layer it you still see the Shellac colour popping up from underneath.

During a recent class we layered the Gold Giraffe Minx over Shellac Hollywood....beautiful!! I'll try and find you a pic! :) x

Thanks - I understand what you mean now.
PS Love your lashes album by the way, great work
JES x

Yes I agree I have witnessed a steady decline in Minx... I think purely down to the fact they adore Shellac and the many options now avail including Konad and Rockstar... :lol:

yep im sad to say i too have had a steady decline. i bought minx from america years ago, we were very busy with it, then sweet squared started stocking we ordered from there, we used to charge £25.00.

i see mobiles charging £12.00 so i cant and wont compete with that, i have dropped price down to £20.00 which is very sad but its still not going out at that. no way am i going any cheaper.

we prob do 1/2 a week now when we used to do 1/2 a day.

Minx is on steady decline my end too - I put this down to the weather so far though and hope that the festive season will pull some clients back in for it.

Minx is still the best nail wrap brand out there in my opinion with super hot designs by super cool designers :)

Out of interest, does anyone remember the nail polish wraps from Avon. They were in a pack with the thumb and fingernails for each hand in various colours and they were like a sticky backed plastic. That was about 10 years ago... Avon discontinued them.

The concept has been around for ages appearing and disappearing like legwarmers!

I am still learning Minx and enjoying Minx and loving all things Nail Art.

Attitude? Go with it... Mix it, Special Offer it, Play with it, stay passionate about it.

Everyone likes a bit of bling at chrimbo, use it or lose it.

Waxing declines in winter for me for the last 2 years. I wanted to know why and the answer was that their hair kept their legs warm in winter lol

Waxing declines in winter for me for the last 2 years. I wanted to know why and the answer was that their hair kept their legs warm in winter lol

- Eeek is that true :eek: :D

i think as others have said you are your advertisement. I've got a fair tomorrow to go to and I'm offering shellac and minx and also demo's too. Tonight I've gone all out pink rockstar toes and tutti frutti shellac then on ring finger in pink and silver fishnet :) :) :)

Latest posts

Back