Having trouble getting my website to do well in the search engines!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
I have made several websites over the past few years and all have done very well in the search engine ratings and within a matter of weeks - usually coming out top. However my latest website Enhance Health & Beauty | Benitachell 966 493 722 which is a couple of months old still isn't recognised by google never mind doing well in the ratings and I don't know why! The only differene I can think of is that I haven't upgraded this one to lose the Freewebs bit in the domain name!
I have followed all Seanny's usual advice. Any clues anyone? And if you have any comments about the site they woud be gratefully received.
Thanks

HI just looked at your site looks really good, only thing I would say if I was being uber picky, and its only cause Ruth told me to do the same is to put the prices in line, makes it easier on the eye. Other than that I think it looks amazing a lot of work gone into it.
As for not coming up on Google, I have a freewebs site and mine always shows up in the first 3, so I dont think thats the problem hun..xx

Cheers Suze. I know what you mean about the prices, but I just cannot get them to line up as there isn't a decimal tab - drives me CRAZY! How did you manage yours? At least I can take the Freewebs theory out of the equation! I just can't fathom what I am doing wrong!

When you set up the text did you copy it across from your original site or have you typed the text in ???

I'm no ratings expert but the spiders cant read copied text (I Think) and also I understand if you use words repetitively the spiders like that (I Think)

Try and repeat words in your text that are related to your buisness...I.E. Nails,CND etc etc

Hoping my limited knowledge helps...maybe there are some ratings tecno Geeks who could pass more specific help here..(even maybe Sam??)

Good site though :hug:

Nope Collin I had to type the whole lot again! However I have set it up as I usually do and submitted it to google too, but nada! You are right about the repetitive text though, so may give that a try in the homepage.

HI just looked at your site looks really good, only thing I would say if I was being uber picky, and its only cause Ruth told me to do the same is to put the prices in line, makes it easier on the eye.

actually that's odd because when I click on the site they are all in line!!!

Not sure if it makes any difference, but there is no "robots" meta tag on your page.

If I want a page to be indexed by search engines, I always add the following meta tag to the <head> of the page...

<meta name="robots" content="index, follow"/>

This explicitly tells search engines that you want them to index your site.

Also, how many other sites are linking to your site? If no sites link there, then Google may simply just ignore the site as it won't know that it exists. Similarly, if only one or two sites link to your site, then it may take Google a while to re-index these sites, and find the link to your site. Although the fact that you've added a link to your site in this thread is good, as Google seems to be very prompt at indexing threads on this site...

Thanks Ruth, I have added Meta tags vis the Freewebs way of doing it, but can't add them as a seperate entity ... I think! But I will add the text you suggest too!

I do have links but they are on the "contact us" page, should I add a seperate page to make them more effective? And i have a reciprocal link in my signature to the site too. Let's hope Google picks up the link in this thread then!

I did mine more by luck than judgement as Ruth will tell you the prices on my laptop all lined up, but to everyone else they were all over the place so I had to fix it blind as it were, dunno how I did it, and there still not perfect, but I know what you mean about them not doing what you ask ...xxx

Hi Different browsers can display different results - that is why some may see the prices in a line and others may not. (could be)

Make sure that when you purchase your domain name that you get it for as long as you can. E.g If you purchased your domain name for 5 years - Google thinks that this site will stay around and therefore it gains more cred,
You need some inbound links to your site get listed on directories etc of any decent web sites

I personally think that your home page needs more text. A list of treatments looks like you are trying to add more keywords - something that Google does not like. Meaningful content with appropriate keywords thrown in will be more beneficial.

Think of what people will search for health and beauty or beauty salon - your title in your html helps searchers when looking.

You can check what the best searches are by looking at Yahoo Search Marketing - it is free and helps you tap in data on searches thus helping you choose the best keywords.

HTH :)

I personally think that your home page needs more text. A list of treatments looks like you are trying to add more keywords - something that Google does not like. Meaningful content with appropriate keywords thrown in will be more beneficial.

HTH :)

Hiya
Thanks and I'll get on to doing that asap as I know what you mean!

Mine seem's to do ok in search results,
I don't know how lol, but it does,
I'd like to know though (this isn't a hyjack...just a kind of erm...add on lol)

How do you get your website found by google etc...when you search the images ?
I wan't mine there :cry: lol

I'm not an SEO expert, but here are some helpful hints:

1. Put the address in with your phone number, that will help Google display your results if someone types 'salon in benitachell'.
  2. Different search engines use different methods to rank your site. Google gives more credibility to a site that other sites link to direct. Find lots of sites to post links to your site.
  3. Invest into a web host instead of freewebs. This is one of the best things you can do and is very affordable. I started up samuelsweet.com on a $5 per month hosting site. Most sites will even have website building kits or templates for you to do your site.
  4. The 'treatments' that you do on the home page (that Essentia identified as potential keyword spamming) would help if you put descriptions for each one.
  5. Double check your meta keywords. You are missing a comma between some keywords (many search engines ignore this for indexing though)
  6. Don't worry about putting the robots meta tag in. The robots tag (or file) is a way to tell a spider which areas you don't want indexing
Ultimately, the second option is the number 1 way to increase your Google rank. If you type this into Google: link: www.freewebs.com/enhance-salon it will show you the number of sites that link to you. Currently, there is only 1 :) pages: www.freewebs.com/enhance-salon will show you how many pages Google has spidered on your site. Currently, its none.

Remember that search engines can take a couple of weeks to get around to your site as well.
Hope this helps!

Sass, you know me, I am no webby expert but I do potter LOL.

I have looked at your homepage and when you click on view, then page source, which I believe is what the spiders will see, none of your body text is showing up so it makes me think that in some way your site is being put in frames of some type. I remember Seanny saying that this was a no no!

maybe putting enhance. beauty and another few keywords
check the title of your site, (there's some gaps)

Last edited:
Not looked at the site yet.

My website comes up a few times on page 1 of google.

Meta tags & beta tag words should include everything you can think of re your work.

Also, on your home page, this should have lots of info on your work, area, etc as this is the page that gets seen by the spyders.

Make sure you regularly update info on your site to show that it's not a dormant site, as the spyders will think it's not 'live' ifkwim.

Sass yours and my websites are very similar and I too can't get up on Google unless it comes up via Yell.com or such like. I was advised that I needed to change the hosting away from Freewebs and a friend is going to host it for me now.

Trouble is I can read everyone's replies and say them out loud but to my brain it's just like trying to understand a Martian talking!!!:lol: I just don't understand computer talk.:rolleyes:

No expert on this either but have been learning over the years bit by bit with our sites.

Apparently the lesser Keywords in the page title you use the more emphasis you put on them, try not using more than 5 main keywords, separate them with commas but no spaces in between (if that makes sense). This way you can use different page titles on every page or product/service.

Depending on which google you are targeting (ie UK or spain) it might be an idea to use the different languages with the page description or keywords?

I have always tried to write nice and good English but the spiders just go for keywords so its a bit of a balance to get as many keywords in that describe what you are doing and yet having sentences that sound English and ok to humans and not just the spiders.

Images such as catalogue pages with text dont work because the spider cant read the text on the image but as you mentioned you have written words anyway so that shouldnt influence it.

As the others mentioned links do help to get the page up in the searches so if you are describing one treatment or service you can link it to another one, this way you link within your site but if you can it is worth it linking externally also - for example link to another site or description somewhere else in the web or if you can get other websites to link to you as incoming links that will help a lot in climbing up in the search engines.

I am not sure how it works with .com websites but for example if you have a .co.uk website you cant get accepted by google.de as they will only accept .de domains and it might be similar with a .com domain for google spain and there might be other rules yet again for freeweb sites?
I work with someone who is mad about search engine optimization and I will ask him to find out more for you and see what you could do to climb a bit higher.....

Oh my goodness you guys are the best! Thank you all. Given me some work to do that's for sure. The thing I don't understand is I had another website that I set up here in Spain and within weeks it was doing well, but this has been going a couple of months and nada, and they are set up pretty much the same. The only thing I can say that is different is I paid to upgrade to a proper website so looks like that is what we will have to do!

I work with someone who is mad about search engine optimization and I will ask him to find out more for you and see what you could do to climb a bit higher.....

Managed to speak to John, who in my opinion is an expert when it comes to search engine optimization....and here is what he says :

Yep. Definitely because of the freewebs domain. Sadly the website will only be hosted on a freewebs sub domain so google will go and index the domain name first (being freewwebs.com).
There are almost 3 millions of these freewebs sites and sadly not one will easily display in the google organic search engine listings. Here's why as well.
Even though the keywords for this site say: Benitachell, javea, moraira, facials, gel acrylic nail extensions, chiropody, blah blah blah.
Google will read the domain name index page keywords first and these are: Freewebs, Free Website, Free Webpage, Free Web Hosting, Free hosting, make a website, how to make a website, bla blah blah

Sadly googlebot will have to crawl a fair depth into the site to index the sub-domain keywords and then she'll have almost 3 million competitors all sharing the same domain name. Cool.

So here's whats to do.

They could try registering their own domain name and changing the dns servers to point to that website. (probably the cheapest option) and set it as a domain alias.

Looking at it, other than starting again which is a shame because it's a nice looking clean website I think that's probably the best bet.

Sounds like you have done well with your website and everything seems to be spot on with your keywords etc so it seems the only problem is the freeweb domain and if you could get rid of that then you should come up high on google :O)))):hug:

Latest posts

Back