Help I'm baffled - tan washed off?????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siennax1

Reaction score
I sprayed a client yesterday, she's a regular. Text me this morning to say the tan had washed off completely! Obviously I was horrified.
I've told her time and time again about prep ect........
When I sprayed her yesterday she came out fine. She was happy. The bottom of her legs were a tad funny but I explained to her about why that couldv'e happened.

aaaggghhhhh

i had a similar thing happen to a client a week or so ago who has not had a problem before - she told me though that she soaked in a hot bath in the evening so this is what i assumed was the result. Any over washing, exercise/sweating can cause the tan to come off or go patchy at the very least but they don't listen do they!! : (

other than that it would have to be something in the prep that she hasnt done like exfoliate or something? is she on medication at all?? antibiotics or anything as that effects it also. Hope you get to the bottom of it. Lisa

i had a similar thing happen to a client a week or so ago who has not had a problem before - she told me though that she soaked in a hot bath in the evening so this is what i assumed was the result. Any over washing, exercise/sweating can cause the tan to come off or go patchy at the very least but they don't listen do they!! : (

other than that it would have to be something in the prep that she hasnt done like exfoliate or something? is she on medication at all?? antibiotics or anything as that effects it also. Hope you get to the bottom of it. Lisa

Thankyou for replying.
Do you know what, even though it's not my fault, I feel like crying. I'm so dedicated when it comes to my job and it's my only job.

She used baby oil to remove any unwanted tan as she's got very dry skin. But I don't think she washed it off properly. I've told her now to avoid this and have a break from tanning just so she can have a fresh skin for next time. She says she also changes her exfoliator regularly and I said to find one and stick to it.
I've now recommended a kids body wash or Radox and mittens to prep for next time.

xx

Last edited:
Anyone else encountered this problem yet? Client not taking advo and tan washing off after it has developed :rolleyes:

one of my clients had a bath 2 days after her tan (i wondered why she looked so pale) go figure, she knew the rules.
another client had a great tan for days till she ran out of radox shower gel and bought some johnsons blue body/shower wash, BIG MISTAKE she had huge patch on the inside of her elbow that came off and all along the side of her neck, im glad we eliminated the problem.
What did your client use?
I always tell my clients to wash the colour guide off ONLY with water (first wash) then have a soap wash the 2nd wash and there after.

one of my clients had a bath 2 days after her tan (i wondered why she looked so pale) go figure, she knew the rules.
another client had a great tan for days till she ran out of radox shower gel and bought some johnsons blue body/shower wash, BIG MISTAKE she had huge patch on the inside of her elbow that came off and all along the side of her neck, im glad we eliminated the problem.
What did your client use?
I always tell my clients to wash the colour guide off ONLY with water (first wash) then have a soap wash the 2nd wash and there after.

It drives you nuts doesn't it! :rolleyes:

Well apparently she used imperial leather body wash that lightly moisturises and Elle Mcphearson exfoliator. Why she keeps changing it, god only knows??!! And she soaked in a bath after using baby oil to get rid of tan a few days before. The oil must'Ve seaped into the skin and caused the problem even though she didn't feel oily if that makes any sense?

I sprayed a client yesterday, she's a regular. Text me this morning to say the tan had washed off completely! Obviously I was horrified.
I've told her time and time again about prep ect........
When I sprayed her yesterday she came out fine. She was happy. The bottom of her legs were a tad funny but I explained to her about why that couldv'e happened.

aaaggghhhhh

Don't want to alarm you but perhaps you should check with everyone else you've sprayed from the same bottle of solution before you automatically assume your client's tan washed off because of something she did.

During the summer I had a couple of complaints exactly the same as yours and unfortunately, because I believed the supplier when they said the clients' skin prep/aftercare must've been the culprit, the mystery was only solved when I tanned my sister (with perfect prep and aftercare) and it was very clear that something was wrong with the solution.

Only when the company's Chief Operating Officer became involved with my (by now very loud complaint) did I get any kind of explanation, apology and compensation (in solution, not cash).

This has taught me not to just blame the client but to look at every possible explanation and investigate thoroughly. Whatever or whoever is to blame, I'll now always endeavour to put things right.

Like you, I felt sick with what happened and there's no doubt that I lost one or two clients as a result but I'll never, ever allow such a situation to arise again.
xx

Don't want to alarm you but perhaps you should check with everyone else you've sprayed from the same bottle of solution before you automatically assume your client's tan washed off because of something she did.

During the summer I had a couple of complaints exactly the same as yours and unfortunately, because I believed the supplier when they said the clients' skin prep/aftercare must've been the culprit, the mystery was only solved when I tanned my sister (with perfect prep and aftercare) and it was very clear that something was wrong with the solution.

Only when the company's Chief Operating Officer became involved with my (by now very loud complaint) did I get any kind of explanation, apology and compensation (in solution, not cash).

This has taught me not to blame the client but to look at every possible explanation and investigate thoroughly.

Like you, I felt sick with what happened and there's no doubt that I lost one or two clients as a result but I'll never, ever allow such a situation to arise again.
xx

Well I'll use it on myself next week and see

This can also happen if you have forgot to give your solution a good shake to distribute the DHA before pouring it into your cup,
you will see the guide colour but no tan will develop,
are you 100% sure you gave your solution a good shake, hth

This can also happen if you have forgot to give your solution a good shake to distribute the DHA before pouring it into your cup,
you will see the guide colour but no tan will develop,
are you 100% sure you gave your solution a good shake, hth

Morning,

It was a brand new bottle and I shook it as much as I could as there's not much room for it to shake if that makes sense?

Oh god I'm paranoid now as I've got a new client tomorrow who wants 12% which is the one I used on my client that washed off eeeeekk!!

Well I'll use it on myself next week and see

This will be the real acid test and or have you sprayed other clients without a problem...if so then it can only be a client problem...:hug:

This will be the real acid test and or have you sprayed other clients without a problem...if so then it can only be a client problem...:hug:

Hi Collin,
Well I've never had this problem before! And when I first started I NEVER shook my solution either and all came out fine, good feed back etc....
I'm that paranoid now I am worrying myself sick today. I hate that I'm so sensitive.
I'm worried about spraying my new client tomorrow morning with that same soluion used on my unhappy client:cry: :cry:

Sorry it's me who's made you paranoid. I'm sure it's extremely unlikely there's a problem with the solution, but like Collin says there's only one way to find out ..... Let's hope it was all your client's fault though! xx

Sorry it's me who's made you paranoid. I'm sure it's extremely unlikely there's a problem with the solution, but like Collin says there's only one way to find out ..... Let's hope it was all your client's fault though! xx

Boo hoo I can't believe how sick I feel today. I'm sat at home just thinking :cry: I am worried now about my new client tomorrow and it not developing at all!!! :eek: Guess I'll have to wait and see. Talk about pressure lol! I'm used to getting good feedback and some clients even text me to say how pleased they are, that's why I'm soooo knocked back xx

Oh just to add, someone said that the baby oil can sit in the skin for up to a week even though she felt dry at the time

Any chance you could spray someone (yourself?) today. Still time to do it now and wash it off at 10pm tonight?

Hi Collin,
Well I've never had this problem before! And when I first started I NEVER shook my solution either and all came out fine, good feed back etc....
I'm that paranoid now I am worrying myself sick today. I hate that I'm so sensitive.
I'm worried about spraying my new client tomorrow morning with that same solution used on my unhappy client:cry: :cry:

I know its easy to say sitting this side of the fence (forgive the pun) and its good that as a therapist your worrying...but worrying to much is also not a good thing and im sure its now eating into your confidence...don't let it:hug:

If you have sprayed others and all is fine and given your comments on the baby oil used by this customer...who could have well gotten the date wrong as to when she did actually last use it it has got to be a client problem.
Ok so a clients problem is also yours but...be a pro..chest out and take it head on....you do need to be firm and tell the customer that you suspect its because of the oil she used prior to the tan application which could well have still been lingering on the skin and thus creating a barrier allowing the tan to be washed off.

So ....chin up...get it on and go spray tan :Love:

Collin I think you should start charging!! :) You're good at giving advice on this forum.

And yes I'm going to spray my fella later and we'll see what happens.

Collin I think you should start charging!! :) You're good at giving advice on this forum.

And yes I'm going to spray my fella later and we'll see what happens.

LOL :hug:

..the thing is it doesn't take a lot to dent ones confidence and most of the time its someone else who is in the wrong...have faith in yourself as a professional ,trained and experienced therapist :hug:

Oh and my bill is in the post recorder delivery :eek::lol::lol::hug:

Ha ha cheers Collin!!

Sprayed my fella last night with the 12% and he came out perfect this morning.

uummmm

Latest posts

Back