Help!! Shellac vs Geleration vs Bio Sculpture!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snails

Reaction score
Hello!

I am not a new tech (been working with BioSculpture for 6 yrs and love it) but I am new to posting threads so all a bit scary for me!!

I work with Bio, but am interested in Shellac and Jessica's Geleration as both state they go on like polish but act like gel?

What I would like to know is ...
does the shellac go in a uv light?
does the geleration go in a uv light?
how long does it last?
which is better and why?
How long does the application take?

I take about one hour to do gel overlays on natural nails and the same for an infill ... does anyone know what the training is for these too?

Really would appreciate any help !! Have spent too much time looking and reading all I can but know you techs are super knowledgeable !!!

Thanks ever so much!
Snails xx

Hi Snails!
Have you actually done a little search here? There are a million threads about Shellac and Geleration, and if you just read through them I know all your questions will be answered!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is so much information about this already on the site but here is what I know about Shellac as I dont use the others.

Shellac is not a soak off gel like Bio Sculpture. It is a polish plus. It is not designed for using where you would use an enhancement product.

It is designed to be used on natural nail clients who want extra wear out of the colour.

Shellac cures in the CND UV lamp - Brisa one or the new one.

If you want a soak off gel for doing enhancements then there are soak off gels. Shellac is not a soak off gel.

Thank you both for replying .... and for your help ....
I am currently trawling through all sorts of threads and finding lots of answers already ... I may be a while !!!!
Wanted to get some research done before going to Olympia too ...
I will do some more research before I make any decisions on what to do next ... but thank you so much for your posts

If your going to buy your products at Olympia..you should go through the list of who is attending, because not all companies attend...just so you know :)

Hello!

I am not a new tech (been working with BioSculpture for 6 yrs and love it) but I am new to posting threads so all a bit scary for me!!

I work with Bio, but am interested in Shellac and Jessica's Geleration as both state they go on like polish but act like gel?

how long does it last?
which is better and why?

I take about one hour to do gel overlays on natural nails and the same for an infill ... does anyone know what the training is for these too?

Really would appreciate any help !! Have spent too much time looking and reading all I can but know you techs are super knowledgeable !!!

Thanks ever so much!
Snails xx

I have used Bio Sculpture for 5 years, & recently wanted to get Shellac.
Because of all the problems getting it I thought I would try Gelish (which I have been very very pleased with)
I'm still planning on getting Shellac when things settle down a bit & the products will come as soon as I order them.
I do find Gelish quicker than Bio Sculpture but would still use Bio Sculpture for the harder wearing clients.

I'm sure I will be corrected if this is wrong but I get the impression:
Shellac is slightly more like polish
Gelish is slightly more like gel
-but both stay on really well & remove with the same amount of time/effort

That is why I think I would like to offer Bio Sculpture, Gelish, & Shellac to my clients
& let them feel they can try them all & choose which works best for them.x

Thank you Pooh8bear ... really useful ....
Not sure whether to try and fix what isn't broken as I have a really good solid client base of ladies who love Bio Sculpture and not sure I need to go into anything else too but keeping my options open and trying to do some research !!
Thanks again xxx

I've also been a 95% Bio Sculpture salon for the last few years, and have quite simply built my business on it, but I too have recently introduced Shellac to my clients, with great success. I haven't tried Geleration but I understand it's very like Shellac/Gelish etc, so for me the question I should imagine you are asking is 'is it worth introducing another soak off colour product, alongside Bio?'

Now to be honest, if you'd asked me this question before I got my hands on the product, then I can probably say that I actually didn't think there was a massive call for it amongst my clients, but I'm happy to be able to say, that Shellac has utterly revolutionsed my manicure clientele. People who were afraid of the 'permanency' of gel simply aren't with Shellac, yet love the fact it lasts that much longer than polish, whilst 'feeling' like it.

Many of my Bio Sculpture clients tried it, and to be fair, most have gone back to Bio Sculpture...they are used to the strength and durability of Bio, as Shellac does add some strength, but not as much, but clients that have switched from Polish are just LOVING it!

Better still, business has increased as word of mouth has spread far and wide......I had one new client in today, and realised that she is a '5th generation' client already (ie an existing client, told someone who came in and tried and loved it, and they in turn did the same - 5 times over!!!!) so thats at least 5 new regular clients from one person!!!! In the space of 4 months! And she's not the only one.

The added bonus is that those 'occasional clients' that didn't used to rebook, now always do....to ensure they get their slot ( I offer free removal of Shellac if within 16 days and a new set being reapplied).

The one thing I will say is that 'Shellac' is IMO already becoming a buzzword around clients. Kind of the same way that Minx has. I am already getting phone calls asking for 'Shellac' nails. A bit of subtle questioning shows that actually the clients are hearing of a semi-permanent polish with brilliant shine and the name they are already using is Shellac. Much like Hoover to vacuum cleaners, I suppose :lol: For that CND defintely deserve top marks for marketing!!

Actually, as an interesting exercise for myself, I just did a quick reckon up on my orders so far with Bio Sculpture this year, and since the launch of Shellac, they've actually gone up in value, so have my orders with S2 and so has my turnover.......so that, I guess speaks volumes!!

My business was mainly Bio Sculpture and I got Shellac in and now I'm the very same as Lyndsay and could have written this exact post word for word.

Love heaing this again and again !! :green:

Things are settling down now after the initial huge reception for Shellac which was quite unprecedented. Fortunately most of the early adopters of Shellac have manged to work just fine all through the time there has been a shortage of stock because they made it their busines to make sure they had what they needed. Some of us have had anxious moments but alls well that ends well. Phew!! :):)

Crumbs ... that is just what I needed !! Thank you SO much!! I have been asking myself that exact question ... 'is it worth introducing another soak off colour product, alongside Bio?' and just couldn't get the answer... because sometimes I think that if it isn't broken ... and all that !!!

But you have said you use it mainly for those who don't want gel but want something more than polish and for that it is great ... I don't do an awful lot of man /peds (mainly coz I do SO much BS on hands and feet so don't get a call for it really) but maybe like you have said, I would if I had Shellac ...

Would you mind telling me ... how do you apply it (only briefly ... of course!! ... am sure you have better things to be doing !! ) but not sure how exactly it works .. presumably you do prep, then apply ?? With a sable brush or the brush in the lid?? And do you cure it the same as gels??

I think perhaps this is the way to go ... and I thank you for that ... both of you !!
xxx

That is really helpful .. will go look now !!!
Thank you to everyone!!
xxx

And a thank you from moi to, as I was wondering just the same thing.

As a returneeeeeeee to the world it was baffling just how much things have changed and there is so much more available for the natural nail now than ever before.

I too love Bio and Shellac and have been have experienced both treatments as a client over the last few months while I get some retraining sorted, all in the name of research and all that :wink2: well thats what I was telling the ole fella anway !!

Along the way I have also found Gelish and now I need to give that a go too!

All my fresher / going back to basics training has been booked with CND so am very much still swinging that way, but am off to have a play day at Olympia to get a nose at what else is out there.

Research is they key and this forum and you geeks are a great help :)

Claire.

I made my mind up hun, over the last week ive been tearing my hair out trying to decide which one of these was right for me.

Ive now decided on Gelish, because - It "could" last one week longer than Shellac and its slightly cheaper, thats all. Didnt go with bio sculpt because i like the idea of pulling the brush out the pot like polish. NoHUGE difference really between the three.

What confused me is i thought at least one of them would be able to be infilled, apparently, non can, they must be soaked off.

Hello!

how long does it last?
which is better and why?

Thanks ever so much!
Snails xx

I made my mind up hun, over the last week ive been tearing my hair out trying to decide which one of these was right for me.

Ive now decided on Gelish, because - It "could" last one week longer than Shellac and its slightly cheaper, thats all. Didnt go with bio sculpt because i like the idea of pulling the brush out the pot like polish. NoHUGE difference really between the three.

What confused me is i thought at least one of them would be able to be infilled, apparently, non can, they must be soaked off.

I can't comment on Gellish as I've never used it, but I really have to disagree that there is no real difference between Bio Sculpture and Shellac.

They are nothing alike at all!!

You can fill Bio Sculpture, although they soak off so well, that sometimes it's easier and quicker to soak off.

Just curious here, but how long does it take to soak bio sculpture off?

Just curious here, but how long does it take to soak bio sculpture off?

I take about 15 minutes to soak it off, but I found it took ages with the foil method so I submerge the nails in acetone... a bit naughty I know, but it's so much quicker that way.

I take about 15 minutes to soak it off, but I found it took ages with the foil method so I submerge the nails in acetone... a bit naughty I know, but it's so much quicker that way.

Thanks. Just another thought here, but gelish have a structure gel in their system. Never tried bio, but maybe gelish with structure would equal them in strength?

If you use the Bio Sculpture system as it's meant to be used (ie include Exective Base) and break the seal on the gel first (NOT buffing the nail!) then I can soak off a set of Bio overlays, using the foil method in 20 minutes flat. I buff one hand, wrap it, then do the other, and by the time I've wrapped that, the gel is ready to come off the first hand. Can't do it any quicker than that really.

Sculpted enhancements take longer (maybe 15 mins), but I tend to infill enhancements until sufficient length is attained and then replace.

Latest posts

Back