Help to ban MMA in Nail Industry - UPDATED

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nail angel im looking at the same thing, they ask you if you want to ban it in the uk, then u have a choice, yes or no. surely youd click yes? :s xx

nail angel im looking at the same thing, they ask you if you want to ban it in the uk, then u have a choice, yes or no. surely youd click yes? :s xx

Exactly! I'm glad it's not just me - I'm very very confused.com! x

Actually I'm even more confused now because I've been trying to register my vote for about ten minutes and the circle thingy won't stop spinning to show that it's registered. Surely it wouldn't be out of date or it wouldn't allow you to do anything on it would it?

I have just looked through the signatures and every one says NO to banning in UK. Did everyone use the drop down box and select yes? I did but it took ages to go through and now cant find the signature. Is it a glitsch on the petition site or have missed something?

There is really no point in bumping this thread up yet again and you all getting excited about it! It is getting on for 3 years old. The original project (taken on by an MP) has been abandoned.

I have explained on here many times what the situation is. MMA is considered 'inappropriate' for use on nails. It is not considered 'dangerous'! If there is any possibility that it is on the list of cosmetic ingredients that are 'banned' it is way, way down the list. Ingredients that are potentially 'life threatening', carcinogenic' or the, so called, 'gender benders' are far more important.

Doug Schoon has said many times that the banning of it in the US has not helped at all and, if anything, made the situation. At a meeting with representatives from most of the Local Authority Environmental Health Depts a couple of years ago (when the HSE were conducting research projects into nail salons) they said they are all aware of it but can do nothing. Even if it were to be banned they do not have the resources to police it.

Remember: it is NOT dangerous and is no more hazardous than EMA. It is just inappropriate for nails. The main gripe from the industry is one based on commercials and no one is going to listen to that!

Can we get over it and move on

Thanks for the info, wish I had read the whole thread but Sooo many pages of "Signed" I just went to the site and then the last page

Thanks for the info, wish I had read the whole thread but Sooo many pages of "Signed" I just went to the site and then the last page

I also think we do still need to get it banned on the use of "nails" even if it isn't dangerous for it's intended purpose. Shame the petition isn't working properly and I'd love it if someone were to set one up properly saying for it to be banned on the use of "nail" treatments.

I also think we do still need to get it banned on the use of "nails" even if it isn't dangerous for it's intended purpose. Shame the petition isn't working properly and I'd love it if someone were to set one up properly saying for it to be banned on the use of "nail" treatments.
Will have a little look tomorrow and see if I can get one sorted but it might be better if someone with more knowledge could do it or be my "advisor"

Will have a little look tomorrow and see if I can get one sorted but it might be better if someone with more knowledge could do it or be my "advisor"

Yes I feel the same which is why I'd rather not start it. I was thinking it would be good if it was started by someone who is held with high regard in the nail industry. x

Yes I feel the same which is why I'd rather not start it. I was thinking it would be good if it was started by someone who is held with high regard in the nail industry. x

I agree, a manky old Norfolk Broad wont wield as much power as one of our Grand Geeks. :biggrin:
I will have a look this morning as I am a member of a couple of environmental communities online where a lot of petitions get generated and spread via FB and other networking sites. Will check if this will be an acceptsble cause as it's mostly used to eradicate cruelty to animals and saving endangered species. I suppose we could qualify it as cruelty to humans and trying to save the endangered species known as Women who want to keep their nice nails. Ha Ha

I have just looked through the signatures and every one says NO to banning in UK. Did everyone use the drop down box and select yes? I did but it took ages to go through and now cant find the signature. Is it a glitsch on the petition site or have missed something?

haha, yes it seems everyone voted NO to banning MMA, I guess petition was not very user friendly :D

I voted YES to ban it but when I clicked SIGN to submit my vote it would not work. Just got a box saying CANNOT DOWNLOAD ???!!! Weird
Get it banned people. It was meant for binding cement and concrete not our delicate nails!!

Lots of people in the industry have tried over the years! Don't waste your efforts on it. Put your efforts into educating your clients.

THIS THREAD IS YEARS OLD. THE PETITION HAS BEEN ABANDONED!

I've signed and posted on my facebook too for others to see and sign :)

I've signed and posted on my facebook too for others to see and sign :)

Why?? It was abandoned long ago! It has no author, no sponsor and no further info. That is a clue. Also, to the question 'do you want to ban MMA in the UK' everyone has answered 'NO'

I will sign this but I'm a bit confused. Everyone that has signed has said NO to the question do you want MMA banned in UK. Surely the answer should be yes we want it banned. Is it me that is reading this wrong????

I'VE JUST NOTICED THIS IS AN OLD THREAD.

It is confusing, keep looking at the thread as obviously people want to do the right thing but I am going to take Mum's advice and concentrate on my training. I'm sure if it comes around again and a new petition is got up that Nail Geek will be the first to know and advise how you can sign it, but it does sound like people have put 'no' to maybe what should have been 'yes' xx

Their are a lot of women in my area petitioning to close down the nail salons with ethnic workers. They use illegal products and are so difficult to compete with price wise. Most of these girls dont hold nvq's in nail technology and by the look of how things are going at the moment the council are going to close them all down unless they hold legitamate nvq's!

Last edited by a moderator:
Really hope something can be done about this. I know so many using MMA In my area.

I am just bumping this up the page so more folk can see it. This crap (it's the only word for it) needs to be illegal here.

There is really no point in bumping this thread up yet again and you all getting excited about it! It is getting on for 3 years old. The original project (taken on by an MP) has been abandoned.

I have explained on here many times what the situation is. MMA is considered 'inappropriate' for use on nails. It is not considered 'dangerous'! If there is any possibility that it is on the list of cosmetic ingredients that are 'banned' it is way, way down the list. Ingredients that are potentially 'life threatening', carcinogenic' or the, so called, 'gender benders' are far more important.

Doug Schoon has said many times that the banning of it in the US has not helped at all and, if anything, made the situation. At a meeting with representatives from most of the Local Authority Environmental Health Depts a couple of years ago (when the HSE were conducting research projects into nail salons) they said they are all aware of it but can do nothing. Even if it were to be banned they do not have the resources to police it.

Remember: it is NOT dangerous and is no more hazardous than EMA. It is just inappropriate for nails. The main gripe from the industry is one based on commercials and no one is going to listen to that!

Can we get over it and move on

I am with mum on this, she always talks sense, and has her finger on the pulse of our Industry.

Latest posts

Back