Help with customer complaint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CathyBryant

Reaction score
this is a letter of complaint i have received

would like to point out i have spoken to the stylist and she is positive that she did the cut exactly as in the pic, that she checked a couple of times with the client exactly if thats what she wanted, the mothers appointment was only 5 mins so she was sat there the whole time commenting on how nice it was looking, the mother has trained as a hairdresser a couple years ago but does not practice, she actually cut it a little longer than the pic showed, she asked the client several times if it was ok and checked with her throughout the appointment.

what i would really like to write back is that how can she be training to be a doctor if she doesnt have the confidencae to speak to a hairdresser or what asymetrical means, but obviously am biting my tongue.

she also paid for her daughters appointment using a loyalty card which is not really ment to be transfered to anyone else but we let that slide. after 6 treatments she could have a free cut.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
After thinking about this for the past 48 hours, I felt I had to write to you.

What was supposed to have been a lovely weekend for my daughter turned out to be a very upsetting and unhappy one, leaving her with no self confidence and not wanting to be seen without a hat on her head.

To explain I had booked my daughter Kim in for a cut and blow dry with Mel on Saturday 17th January at 11.30, as a bit of a pamper, pre-birthday treat for her 21st and a tidy up before returning to University in Cambridge on Monday. Her hair was already cut in a bob style and just really needed tidying up with the sides feathered. She found a photo she liked on the internet, printed this off, brought this with her and showed this to Mel. Kim has always had a fear of going to the hairdressers and was happy to go, as I was having some waxing done and would be there at the same time (my appointment 11.45).

It seems that Mel looked at the photo and said she would do an asymmetric cut and started cutting away at her hair. Kim not really understanding what she meant and being a very shy person, just let Mel cut her hair thinking that it would look like the photo. When I had finished my waxing, I sat in the hairdressing salon where she was having her hair cut. I was quite shocked to see how short the left side had been cut and thought to myself it is nothing like the photo. Kim said it was ok when Mel had finished, so I thought she was happy with the cut. The cut did in fact suit my daughter and looked very nice. Kim said to me in the car it`s nothing like the photo, was shorter than she wanted, there was no point in saying she hated it in the salon because all her hair had been cut by then, there was nothing anyone could do about it and she would have to get use to it. When we got home she went straight to her bedroom and little did I know spent until tea time crying. She came down for her tea with a hat on and it`s stayed on since. She again repeated that she hated her hair, it wasn’t like the photo, she didn’t feel confident, looked like a boy and being a trainee doctor was worried what people would say as the style was too funky. She said she has medical interviews to attend in a few months and was worried what impression this would give. She wouldn’t be able to go to formal hall for her meals, as she wouldn’t be allowed to wear her hat and therefore wouldn’t be able to eat with her medical students colleagues (she doesn’t have a proper kitchen in her halls of residence), so not sure what she will do for meals.

I cannot tell you how much upset and stress this incident has caused both her and myself over the weekend and to cap it all spoilt her 21st birthday also. As a mother I am awfully upset and worried about her feelings having today gone back to University and I won`t now see her until Easter. All this upset, upheaval and what should have been a happy and special weekend spoilt because a stylist chose to do what she wanted to do rather than look at the photo and replicate it. Kim would never have chosen to have this sort of cut if she had understood what asymmetric was. She now has to live with this and it will probably take a good 6 months or more to get it back to a bob at shoulder length, all her confidence has gone and she doesn’t feel like a woman.

Needless to say the treatments on Saturday for both of us were a disaster and I feel therefore that I cannot continue to use you for any future hair and beauty treatments and would not recommend you.

I am sorry I have had to write to you, but thought you should be aware of the incident, so this hopefully doesn’t happen to anyone else.
----------------------------------------------------

help

I would phone and say that you were sorry to hear that she was unhappy with her hair but she was consulted continuously throughout the appt and and that you both agreed how lovely it was. Say if she would like to come in and talk about it they would both be welcome.

From the sound of it the girl sounds like she has image issues and I feel that the Mother wants someone to blame for it. (Being a medical student has nothing to do with anything here.)

I would not get into any heated debate with them or offer any discount. Just ask them to come in and discuss further.:hug:

I would call her back rather than write. Obviously offer your concern that she wasnt happy but I would just say you have spoken to your hairdresser and she reassures you that she consulted with her before and during her appointment clearly stating what she was planning to do and checking she was happy at the end. If she didn't understand what was explained to her then she should have asked at the time as otherwise it is impossible to understand what she wanted beyond the image she brought with her. Also say the hairdresser specifically left the cut slightly longer than in the picture so you are baffled as to why her daughter thought it was shorter.

I would also ask if there is any way you could help resolve the situation as although you feel the cut was carried out professionally you hate to thinK of her daughter feeling miserable. You don't obviously have to do what she requests but it would be interesting to hear what she thinks you could do!

It seems strange that she says the cut suited her daughter but is still complaining.:eek:

I think she proberly gota bit of an ear ache and decided to play the blame game! If her daughter is being trained in any profession, HER daughter should have highlighted the issues. I wonder what kinda doctor she'll be.... telling someone there kids ill, will she get her mum to right a letter because shes so shy!?!:eek: Sounds like a joka, and how coincidenal that BOTH treatments were a disaster!

IMO id call her up and thank her for hightlighting her issues, and ask how her treatment was a disaster, not the daughters, then if she proceeds in telling you about her daughter state, THEN you can let them know abour your loyalty card policy and state what your policy is in the salon that you only deal with the party member only!

You could easily let it slide, but i wouldnt get into a war of words in writing, more of a personal touch by actually calling up, and being sympathic.....good luck xoxo

oh yikes right i will try be neutral here :green:
one one side the girl asked for a general trim and tidy ? ... was her hair already in a assymetric bob ?
as to be fair if you go in wanting a trim and come out looking like something off a cat walk , no matter how nice the cut is .. it would be a big shock

i can see both sides of the coin to be honest , as a hairdresser i have seen many scissor happy hairdressers over the years , and i always had in drummed into me to just go steady and slow because once it is off then ya cant put it back on , even if i have to go over it twice i would rather that than have someone burst into tears on me :eek:
am not saying your stylist is at fault as the consultation could have got very mixed signals etc...
i am sorry this as happened as it must be a total nightmare for ya :hug:

Hi

I feel so sorry for having to deal with people like that. But in hair or beauty you always seem to get people who are like this. If she didn't like the cut then she should of said so. She is 21 and training to be a doctor so she should have the confidencae. But from what i've seen and heard from training and trained doctors they don't have a clue about the real world. I'm not saying all of them but....
Your quote is totally right i would feel the same.
"what i would really like to write back is that how can she be training to be a doctor if she doesnt have the confidencae to speak to a hairdresser or what asymetrical means, but obviously am biting my tongue. "

And to point out the 17th Jan was a monday so it would have been Saturday 15th Jan :|

To go on and say her trament was a disaster too. So why didn't she say that when she was in the salon.
Plus everyone has different head shapes/sizes so the photo she had is like 95% not going to look the same on her. PEOPLE :mad: The stylist has to change it so that it suite you.

I could keep going on but....

I'm sorry again and i know i didnt help you but :hug:

Tori
x

I'm not an HD, BUT I do live in Cambridge and some of my clients are Cambridge University students so I can give a slightly different perspective. I reckon your stylist did everything she was supposed to do, but ...

Students at Cambridge are under a massive amount of pressure, quite ludicrous in fact, and this is so much worse for medical students as they have a lot more work to do, much more hours, much more exams and so on (rightly, I think, you need medical professionals to know what they are talking about!).

The result is that some survive and thrive but a good number crack under the pressure and can't take it. There are suicides nearly every term (press doesn't report it very often but I know it goes on as I have friends who work in colleges). The students who come and see me are generally nervous, stressed out wrecks (and they are all 18-21 ish, the age I was out having fun up to no good!). The pressure to succeed is unbelievable.

It sounds to me like her problem isn't to do with her hair at all, it's that she's sick with worry about going back to University and having to deal with all that stuff all over again. As for not going to formal hall because of her hair, well that's just daft, she could use accessories or pin it up etc. I think it sounds like more of a fear of failure and not getting through. It sounds like she's nearing the end of her course which means the pressure is doubled.

I reckon just being sympathetic and listening, if she does come back, will do the trick. A lot of my sessions with student at Cam Uni start off ostensibly as massage sessions but end up being more of the talking cure. I think they appreciate talking to someone from "outside" as it can all be a hot house.

I think she still wants her free cut since she gave her loyalty one to her daughter, especially with waiting until the daughter had gone back to uni to complain.

If it was that big of a problem surely she would have complained as soon as her daughter said she hated it?

Yep major blame game going on, I'm willing to bet that the daughter would be mortified to know her mother had written to you.
I'm also willing to bet that if the weekend was ruined, it had nothing to do with the hair cut.
However, all you can really do is
1: Egnore the letter, place it on file and let it gather dust.
2: Reply to letter stating how sorry you are that her daughter is unhappy with her cut, that you have spoken to the hairdresser and been satisfied that your hairdresser acted in a professional manner at all times and that of course it is her and her daughters choice whether they return to your salon in the future. But that you will hold her details on file if she should change her mind.
Beyond that?
You won't win on this one, she may be after a refund, or trying to ease her own mind now that her little girl is growing up and moving away from her.
Sorry hun, I've been there, done that and live in a uni town.
No matter how shy mum thinks her daughter is, I'm telling you, it's not actually possible, if she was, she would be home every weekend, every chance she gets and wouldn't make it past the first term.
Mum's own words deny that.
All of which is beside the point.
Polite, don't admit blame, move on, support your hairdresser and keep that letter on file just incase the mother tries to do anything stupid.

I am not a HD but do lash extensions so have dealt with complaints.

Personally I wouldn't do anything because I can only do something when a client wants to work with me to a satisfactory solution.

She has made the letter quite final that she won't be using you again. So I think you would only annoy her if you did contact her.

Your hairdresser may have done the cut exactly like the picture but the girl hates it and needs someone to blame.

Her mum will always be with her daughter on this one, there is nothing you can say, she's made up her mind.

It may be that she was unhappy with the cut but in the scheme of things felt she wanted/had to say nothing at the time but her mum decided to write to complain as she is more vocal at voicing her opinions especially if she is a client of yours already.

I had a cut done by one of the owners of a salon I go to and it was not straight, but I said nothing as it and the colour was free. I just went back to my old salon and paid for the cut I wanted, good enough for me.

I don't think as it was said before, her chosen subject has anything to do with her confidence or willingness to complain as if she was that way inclined she would have complained.

What I would do is contact the mum as she has written the letter and say that you take her concerns seriously but as it was her daughter who was unhappy with the cut you need to rectify this with her daughter. You have acknowledged the complaint first hand. Then advise her that you will call her daughter, if she tells you not to you know she knows nothing of this and is just after a freebie. I would then call the daughter and say that you have received the complaint that her mum had written regarding her hair cut and you want to discuss what you can do so that she is extremely satisfied with the cut and how you have dealt with her.

Let us know how this one pans out.

what seems odd is a medical student but very shy sure the daughter is in the wrong profession? surely she must understand thwe stylist can not get it to the exact way of the picture, as we all have our own interpertations! and also if she was so shy surely she wouldnt of opened her mouth saying how really pleased she was! i think the mother wants you to offer her free treatments for her fake suffering the only problem her is if your happy with a service you tell 1 person if youre unhappy you will tell the nation, maybe you should telephone her and tell her what ever she is after she wont get it and her customer is not welcome, if the mother trained as a hairdresser maybe she decided to cut at it and made a bodge of it!!!

It may be that she was unhappy with the cut but in the scheme of things felt she wanted/had to say nothing at the time but her mum decided to write to complain as she is more vocal at voicing her opinions especially if she is a client of yours already.

I had a cut done by one of the owners of a salon I go to and it was not straight, but I said nothing as it and the colour was free. I just went back to my old salon and paid for the cut I wanted, good enough for me.

I don't think as it was said before, her chosen subject has anything to do with her confidence or willingness to complain as if she was that way inclined she would have complained.

What I would do is contact the mum as she has written the letter and say that you take her concerns seriously but as it was her daughter who was unhappy with the cut you need to rectify this with her daughter. You have acknowledged the complaint first hand. Then advise her that you will call her daughter, if she tells you not to you know she knows nothing of this and is just after a freebie. I would then call the daughter and say that you have received the complaint that her mum had written regarding her hair cut and you want to discuss what you can do so that she is extremely satisfied with the cut and how you have dealt with her.

Let us know how this one pans out.

I agree with this and would call her mother asap.

Regardless of who is right or wrong she deserves a response and please don't take this the wrong way but if your stylist did mess it up then would she own up to it now ? I am not a hair stylist but surely a confidant stylist should not continuosly ask the client 'if its ok' ?? If they are good at what they do then they shouldn't need reassurance from the client ?

I can sympathise with not wanting to say anything at the time. I have had colours before that have looked nice in the salon yet its been a total different story when I got home. Just before Christmas I had a colour at my regular salon and the girl must of used a different toner or left it on longer as it looked quite silvery in the salon, arrived home to be told by my other half I looked like a witch ! It was basically a very grey/silvery almost blue in parts so I had to wait a few weeks for it to fade. I didn't complain as to be honest I didn't have the time to go back to have it re done and I hate making a fuss as I didn't want it to be awkward the next time I went back.

I would agree and call the mother back, but seems pretty obvious to me that its not the stylists fault at all. At 21 she should be grown up enough to be able to voice her own opinion and she should have spoken up at the time. If shes going to say at the time she likes it then what else is the stylist to think?! Also if she is going for important interviews shortly then perhaps she should have thought twice before going for a new look? I also love how the mother dropped in that she is training to be a doctor, as if that makes any difference! Some people!!:rolleyes:

The mother appears to be a total control freak and the daughter, if she is as reported by aforementioned mother is too highly strung for words ! It's only hair.....it will grow back! Definitely think she will struggle in the medical profession.
HOWEVER. For the sake of your business, accept there may be an error on your part, write to the mother saying you are as disappointed as she is that they have had an unhappy experience. Offer her the opportunity to come in and discuss the matter with you. I doubt that she will, however...

Hi, I can only say what I would do. Phone her up, apologise that her daughter was not happy and that she 'feels' unhappy. Listen, and try not to talk! She has got alot of talking to do. Yes, the daughter is probably wrong and so is she... but she is the customer and she can do a lot of damage (and her daughter) to your reputation. So listen... then apologise and offer her and her daughter to come in for a chat, with another stylist if she likes free of charge... it cost us only time for a chat! Then when she comes in say your sorry she feels unhappy- or daughter as it were- and avert all blame onto either party, try to see what the daughter, and her wants to make them happy... keep that ball in her court as it were :) She will decide for herself whether than can be a way to fix the issue, if not you have done and offered all you can in your power in the nicest possible way... and hey ho didn't want them back anyway :)

was the picture she bought in drastically different to her existing bob?
was the hairstyle in the picture assymetrical?

what was the matter with the mother's waxing that was suddenly disastrorous and wasn't mentioned before?

a polite letter acknowledging her complaints, especially about the waxing as this is the first you have heard of this particular complaint.
state you have spoken to the hairdresser in question and that you are are sorry she doesn't want to come back and thank her for her custom.

Leave it at that.
forget about it.
support your hairdresser.

What?! Her daughter is a trainee doctor but is too shy to speak up about her hair being cut? Well she needs to overcome her shyness if she wants to exceed at her career. Sorry if that sounds harsh but sounds like a chancer to me. The mother says she had waxing at the same time but said both treatments was a 'disaster'. What was wrong with her waxing....she doesn't say.
She also says with her medical interviews 'in a few months' she was worried about the impression she would give, well in a few months it would've grown back by then.
And she also said she wouldn't be able to go to the formal hall for her meals as wouln't be able to wear her hat so wouldn't be able to eat, so not sure what she would do for meals.....WHAT??!

I am gobsmacked! So is her daughter going to starve? I think not! They need to get a grip!

Sorry if I sound harsh, but the mother said it suited her daughter and if it was that bad they would've said at the time.

I would call and speak to the Mother and go from there.

I've worked with hundreds of doctors over the years. When they start out they're mostly nervous as hell (and rightly so - they can kill people!), so it doesn't surprise me at all that this girl's mother describes her as shy and lacking in confidence.
I too would be mortified and frankly furious with my mother if she ever wrote such a letter; how bloody embarrassing!
I don't know that I would want to discuss it with the mother; my client is the daughter, if she wants to discuss it let's have her in, not the mother.

Hi Guys

the waxing complaint i have delt with seperatly, basically she has very very dry skin, infact we think it is eczema, but obviously we wouldnt say that to her, but have told her we think inappropriate to wax her eyebrows and chin and recommended threading to her or tweezers because her skin is just so dry, thin and crapey in places. She refuses to go to the doctor about it and tries to insist that we continue to wax. So this has been delt with.

On monday when i received the letter i immidiatly emailed her back (her letter came to me via email) acknowledging her letter and thanking her for it, customer satisfaction is very important to us etc etc, saying i would speak to the stylist involved and get back to her asap. In the mean time to help me could she please provide me with the photo that she had printed off and also a photo of her hair now so that i can judge correctly. I havnt heard anything back since !!!

another thought is if she just wanted it trimmed and tidied why did she need to bring a pic of the internet, this suggests to me she was looking for a new style???

Latest posts

Back