Hey, old timers! This is for you!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
How lucky we are to be some of the 'old timers'! I think if you have been in the nail industry for more than 5 years you can just about be considered for my list as an 'old timer'. :lol:

Why Lucky? Because we can do anything and everything and have been able to evolve over the years to become a fully full-service professional who can offer it all. Pink & white Forever French ... Custom Blend Manicures with opaque powders to suit each client's skin tone, Sculpted nails, glitter tips and nail art, Beautiful Spa Manicures and Pedicures; we can use gel and coloured gels (especially learning to mix your own colours) and opaque gels not to mention Fibreglass and silk when required; What about reverse sculpting for Forever French? Minx, PopIts and new industry innovations? ... I could go on and on. Imagine how much the new ones have to learn to be able to even begin to compete with the likes of US???

What do I hear you say? You haven't embraced and learned all these new techniques? You mean you're still stuck behind your desk doing the same old thing?

Wake up and smell the coffee peeps. Re-energize yourself and your business by keeping up or you will get over taken. "If you don't make dust, you EAT dust" (another one of my favourite sayings). Take a class and get up to speed. You will return to your salons on cloud 9 and have all your old enthusiasm back again for the business you love.

I suppose my topic for discussion is, Are you keeping up and are you still competitive with the others around you? Or are you stuck doing the same old, same old?

Last edited:
Fantastic Thread!!

I have to hold my hand up and say I am not completely up-to-the-minute....I do not yet offer Minx or Pop-Its!

I do however try my best to refresh my knowledge as often as possible.

I offer L&P, Gel, Silk/Fibreglass...I feel like pretty much whatever my clients ask for I can provide....but there is always room for improvement!!

xx

Great thread - we all need a good kick up the proverbial sometimes too to get the creative juices flowing again!

Well, I'm an old timer then lol - almost 6 years.

I do offer all of the above mentioned nail services - I don't do fibreglass & silks - don't get much call for it in my area tbh.

I think we all need to get on a training course at least 2-3 times a year if poss, it keeps you 'sharp' & up to date with what's new in the industry - keeps you ahead of the game, so to speak.

I cannot believe how this industry has evolved since I started my training there are so many techniques products etc it is amazing. Even though in your books time wise I would be classed as an old timer I certainly dont feel like it I always want more and just wish I had more time & cash in my annual training budget to try to catch up but I guess thats it isn't it you never catch up but as long as we try to keep up with new developments and expand our knowledge we are doing our best, I must say that if it wasn't for this site I would probably still be using the crap I was originally trained with and have little knowledge of the fantastic things I have learned from all you other tech`s & experts. :hug:

Fantastic Thread!!

I have to hold my hand up and say I am not completely up-to-the-minute....I do not yet offer Minx or Pop-Its!

I offer L&P, Gel, Silk/Fibreglass...I feel like pretty much whatever my clients ask for I can provide....but there is always room for improvement!!

xx

Wait till you add the 40 minute full set to your menu with PopIts. Lordy that has brought me so much more business for those who say they just "haven't got the time!" And the results are so perfect for nail biters too without all the WORK especially when you know they are going to try to destroy them. You gotta do it.:hug:

Just a newbie here - only 2 years - and I can't keep up with all the new ideas/products available since I trained :o

I'd just about saved enough money for the brisa bolds kit then I had to get the opaque gels and powders. I still haven't got the poppits, now I need to get some minx. I can't keep up with all this, then I hear talk on here about something new and fabulous to be revealed this September by CND. I think I better get back to work to finance all this :eek:

I want to be classed as an old timer but I can't only been doing nails 2 years :cry: wish it had been longer

BUT I am older 39 does that class me as a baby old timer :idea:

I do try to keep up with latest technologies, Minx, PopIts as well as honing my skills in all other applications be it gel, L+P (P&W), wraps, sculpt, colour, nail art etc

ane xx

Fantastic Thread!!

xx

Ditto!!........Must get my arse into gear!! lol :)

Yahoo I'm not an old timer lol
pmsl for once i am classed as a baby lol :lol:
i am trained in everything you mention though and do offer it,
i have my minx sat in the drawer til i can get my hands on a lamp,
i know i cant do anything and everything but i will give it a damn good try,
as for training i have taken 7 classes this year and my next that i will be budgeting for will be the CND Event,
i cant miss it again this year :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah im an old timer :) six years for me now ! just seen that i can do CND training nearer me so i am going to book in the next few months to try and get on a course in september :) i offer popits and forever french but want to add sooo much more :)

I suppose my topic for discussion is, Are you keeping up and are you still competitive with the others around you? Or are you stuck doing the same old, same old?

I'm working hard every day to learn all that I can and be the best that I can be. One day, I HOPE, to do a set, take a pic, and put that pic next to a set of yours and have people wondering which is which (HOPE!!!):o

This is a fab thread, and an important reminder to peeps that times change, and it's crucial to stay abreast of changes and to spread one's wings trying new things; else we don't grow as techs NOR as individuals.

Right now I'm growing by doing L&P. AND HOLY COW... it's beating me up left, right and down the middle. BUT I won't give up. I have a friendly geek coming over on Monday (YES I FOUND A LOCAL CDN GEEK WHOOHOOO) to help me troubleshoot my application. (I think my ratio is STILL off :irked:)

Soooo WHHOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO to Geeks that are still growing and reaching for the next challenge.

:hug:

Excellent Thread......................Am I old?? no way so much to learn so little time :lol:
I feel great reading that, I very rarely actually sit down and reflect on what I know and how much effort I've put into my career and that has made me smile. I can do nearly all of those things (we dont have minx here yet) and recently I brought out the fibreglass as I learnt tip n dip, still too fiddly for me but can be done.

As you all know I love, LOVE, LoVe to train and will go anywhere for the best so if you are considering upgrading yourself all I can say is go for it :green:

Not bad for a girl who learnt to do nails to fund a politics degree Ha!

It's almost 5 years to the month since my Foundation Course and I can't believe how much has changed and how I have changed what I do in that time...... One of my clients told me this week how easy I make nail enhancements look - I laughed and said 'if only you knew the pain I went through to get to where I am now!'. And she thought I was joking when I said I'm still never satisfied with the work I do!!!

I haven't done a class yet this year, but I will. What should I do next - Brisa Skillbuilding or Spa Mani/Pedi? What d'ya reckon?!?!?

Nail artistry i have discovered is never ending....and i like it:green:

Although trained in all beauty and alot of holistic treatments,i have rediscovered another passion for nail care....i must admit my heart is in spa manicures and pedicures,and gel,but i also do fibre if need be...i have learnt so much about nail technology...and alot of it from here and it is free:lol:

I am going on another refresher course in August to perfect blending and tipping...i love the world of colour gels...i am perfecting my french...i even did a set of plum dark colour gels on Rich to test them,and he had them on for 2 weeks,and used NO home care,and they still looked perfect...he was a great guinea pig:eek::eek::lol:...i have cut down my time on prep,and actually enjoy it now....and i have NOT undercut myself and charging PREMIUM rates and make NO justification....i feel vindicated...if that is the correct word...LOL:lol:

Like many others on here I am never satisfied with what I do and constantly aim to do better. But thats the perfectionist in me.

I love education, heck I spent most my adult life in education, as a student and a school teacher I love learning and teaching, it is who I am. My mother doesn't understand how I can spend hours on the Internet, for me its another avenue for learning, plus majority of the time I'm in Salon Geek :eek: but its all learning. I have just put up a critique on my first p+w sculpt, I didn't learn how to do sculpt at college, I learnt how to do it through asking you guys and you showed me where I was going wrong. My c-curves were flat and ugly!!

regarding courses, I am focusing on upping my skills and this year besides my NVQ Level 3 nails course at college I have done 5 one day courses, 2 booked and booking 1 more in next few days. With more plans for more in the near future. I think thats going to keep me busy for a while, but I love it and its all good fun :)

anne xx

It's coming up to 3 years since I qualified as a nail technician,
And I kind of feel I am upto date,
But there are still many many many things I have to learn,
Infact I think the list is never ending....lol

I have my main issues that I know I need to work on, and then there are the other things I would like to learn just for the fun element.

One thing I do know I need to train in is pedicure.
I can do toenail enhancements, and minx no problems, but an actual pedicure fills me with fear lol.
But I know I need to feel professional in offering them to complete my 'nail technician' status (my opinion on myself only)

I could quite happily take a training course once a week ....I LOVE learning new things!
And I love the fact I know about new things, it makes me confident when talking to people about what I do,

I remember at one time I actually felt when people asked me 'what I do' and I said I am a nail technician, they would think ahhhhh she has a head of fluff then,
whereas now, I know I can impress people with my nail knowledge lol, that thing that has always annoyed them about their nails....well I can solve it for them,
The fact that white spots don't mean they need to drink 2 pints of milk a day.... well that impresses them...
then Minx, popits, custom blending (magic nails imo) and 3d acrylic people...

I feel like a genius sometimes :green:

It's coming up to 3 years since I qualified as a nail technician,
And I kind of feel I am upto date,
But there are still many many many things I have to learn,
Infact I think the list is never ending....lol

I have my main issues that I know I need to work on, and then there are the other things I would like to learn just for the fun element.

One thing I do know I need to train in is pedicure.
I can do toenail enhancements, and minx no problems, but an actual pedicure fills me with fear lol.
But I know I need to feel professional in offering them to complete my 'nail technician' status (my opinion on myself only)

I could quite happily take a training course once a week ....I LOVE learning new things!
And I love the fact I know about new things, it makes me confident when talking to people about what I do,

I remember at one time I actually felt when people asked me 'what I do' and I said I am a nail technician, they would think ahhhhh she has a head of fluff then,
whereas now, I know I can impress people with my nail knowledge lol, that thing that has always annoyed them about their nails....well I can solve it for them,
The fact that white spots don't mean they need to drink 2 pints of milk a day.... well that impresses them...
then Minx, popits, custom blending (magic nails imo) and 3d acrylic people...

I feel like a genius sometimes :green:
Pedicures are very gratifying...both for the client and therapist so i would add this to your menu Emma:hug:

Yup, I am qualified in pedicure from college, but I think I need to take it further,
I can honestly say I have not done 1 single pedicure since I qualified.

I imagine I will have to do them in the salon anyway, and I think It will get easier for me the more I do,
A bit like how the first time I removed cuticle I was disgusted, now its my favourite part :green:

Oooops, sorry we may be hijacking this brilliant thread a little:lol:

Emma, book yourself a Spa Pedicure with a good tech....you won't look back, I promise!

12 years ago (yes, I'm and old, old, timer:eek:) I stated that we didn't 'do' pedicures in our salon, then someone from Creative asked if I had ever had one - the answer was no! She marched me into a room and gave me the SpaPedicure works - I bought into the whole thing there and then.

I have to tell you that this has been the consistently highest growing nail service annually in our salon ever since then:hug:

Once you've had the experience, you will always want the experience, so will your clients - go for it honey, it will ONLY increase your business, your profits and your client satisfaction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh my... i am an old timer...LOL:):lol: nearly 13 years for me!!! i have only just done my lash training so no nail training on the agenda for me, always on the look out for new things though!:)

Latest posts

Back