Hey, old timers! This is for you!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PMSL, I woke up this morning and the first thread title I read "Hey Old Timers this is for you" -- "OMG, I am an old timer" - I certainly feel like that this morning after the night out :lol:

I am an "old timer" 10 plus years. I have always believed in education and if you are not learning someone else is. Having said that not all education is equal and we must invest wisely. I am constantly learning (I don't want to eat dust!!:green:), a rolling stone never grows moss - I may be an "old timer", no moss growing on this stone, Yes I do have some dull patches, a few chips but on the whole a nice smooth stone.

My advise to all the "babies" don't let moss grow on your stone, invest in quality education,.:):hug:

Last edited:
Well I'm just coming up to 4 years so I'm not an old timer just yet, but yes I offer poppits and yes I sculpt and reverse sculpt.
Personal reasons my nails have had to take a back seat for quiet some time.
So I had a think and decided to spend this summer concentrating on waxing and tanning.
Then go to The Event where I can get guidance from the people I most respect as to what I should be doing next.

10 years so yep I am an old timer too :eek:
I do keep up to date and although not doing nails atm I am still learning all the time and trying new things as they come out.

ok, i admit you "old timers" have it down, HOWEVER, i do gels, acrlylics, nail art, manis, pedis, nail wraps, popits, minx...and i am only 5 months out from grad....maybe its just because i am online every possible free minute to see what is new and have to try it asap....lol....it truely is EXHAUSTING!!!! but i LOOOOOVE it so much!!....

oh question....is 1 hour 15 minutes for full set okay???? im trying to get it down though to just under an hour....guess i just want it perfect.

I cant believe I am an old timer when i look back to when I first trained (its 10yrs ago now) but I have been so busy working myself up from doing something completly different to being a tutor for my local adult ed now teaching nails and beauty, when you are realise how long its been since you first started you cant believe where time goes!

but I do feel that we are in a industry which is changing so much and so quickly that we have to able to keep up with new things that are happening and stay one step ahead of some of the other nail techs in your area.

:hug:

ps. also i have to say that the best education that i have ever had was going to the EVENT last year, it was fab!

Last edited:
BUT I am older 39 does that class me as a baby old timer :idea:

Oi less of the 39 being old.:lol: Im nearly 39 and been in a tech for 9 1/2, does that mean Im classed as an old old timer? :eek: Im still 21 in my own little world:green::smack:

Oi less of the 39 being old.:lol: Im nearly 39 and been in a tech for 9 1/2, does that mean Im classed as an old old timer? :eek: Im still 21 in my own little world:green::smack:

lol, thats why I put older not old!!, I feel as though I'm still 21 as well, just hopefully a bit wiser!

age is such a weird thing, when your young anything over 22 is soooo old!!!! but when you reach 39 going on 40 :eek: :eek: you realise age is so much a state of mind. Honestly I feel 21 and it feels like being the tender age of 21 was 5 minutes ago.

anne xx

Well Im a old timer almost 10 Years! ha ha its so funny being a real old timer at 28!!
I totally agree the indusrty is forever changing & updating, I think training is the key to keeping upto date with new products & systems.

I love my job as much now as much as the day i started, Maybe even more I get excited at new things & learning new skills, Its what keeps my passion for such a fab industry!

xx

I am not an old-timer, nails wise anyway, I've been doing nails for 3 years now. However, I am an education "junkie" PMSL

It has become a standing joke with my clients, and they normally ask what course am I doing now! :lol: They love it though and know if there is anything new out or due out I'll be on the case.

I think it's great to be able offer all different nail treatments in your service menu, as no matter what is put in front of you, you will be able to act on it, or have a fair idea how to approach it at least. It also instills confidence in your clients that you can "fix" whatever needs fixing(well that's the theory anyway :lol:), or be able to give them what they want.

Love the thread :)
I think I have to give CND a call to get myself up to date!!! need my confidence back and need to brush up on my skills and a little refresh on my knowledge.
Think i could do with a whole day going over things from L&P, brisa and want to get the hang of pop-its!!! I will do that mani/ pedi caourse too, wish they did CND holidays.........

Will you ever do a thread I can give less than a 5 rating? You rock!

I am proud to say, the only thing on your list I don't yet do is Minx. I still have so much to learn - and it feels like I will never get the time to learn it all.

My biggest issue is that I have no one physically close to mentor me, but this site has helped so much! My mentor/teacher lives on the other side of the country! Kinda hard to get together to trouble shoot, although I am happy to say, I don't need a lot of help.

It feels weird to think of myself as an old-timer at 35 - but I am so honored that you allow me to be put in a category with you!

I think this must be the only time I have ever been happy to be called an 'old timer'!

There have been so many new innovations and products introduced into the nail industry since I first started 6+ years ago.

I do try and keep myself ahead of the game, but I haven't actually had any additional training in the last year.

I will be rectifying that in the coming months and I know for a fact that this will relight my spark and inspire me about my business (not that I'm in the doldrums at the moment, I am buzzing) and want me to be even better than my competition than ever!

Training is the best thing for giving you an ass kick, I love it, especially when you are trained by like minded people.

The thing I wonder about is what do you do when you have taken all the available/listed courses?

I think this must be the only time I have ever been happy to be called an 'old timer'!

There have been so many new innovations and products introduced into the nail industry since I first started 6+ years ago.

I do try and keep myself ahead of the game, but I haven't actually had any additional training in the last year.

I will be rectifying that in the coming months and I know for a fact that this will relight my spark and inspire me about my business (not that I'm in the doldrums at the moment, I am buzzing) and want me to be even better than my competition than ever!

Training is the best thing for giving you an ass kick, I love it, especially when you are trained by like minded people.

The thing I wonder about is what do you do when you have taken all the available/listed courses?

At CND we have new classes every year and of course the EVENT which will introduce always something new. When have you ever known CND to stand still eh??

People forget so quickly :lol:. It was only a few short years ago that CND introduced custom blended powders and CB manicures to the market and now everyone takes them for granted!!

WE are a thirsty lot we nail techs ... always wanting something new but in any job we have to face the fact that at some stage we do know almost we everything we can know ... until ANOTHER INNOVATION comes along. There will soon be something very new and cool from CND in September ish. Once again, when people get behind it and commit to being the best at doing it then it will enhance your business no end.

At CND we have new classes every year and of course the EVENT which will introduce always something new. When have you ever known CND to stand still eh??

People forget so quickly :lol:. It was only a few short years ago that CND introduced custom blended powders and CB manicures to the market and now everyone takes them for granted!!

WE are a thirsty lot we nail techs ... always wanting something new but in any job we have to face the fact that at some stage we do know almost we everything we can know ... until ANOTHER INNOVATION comes along. There will soon be something very new and cool from CND in September ish. Once again, when people get behind it and commit to being the best at doing it then it will enhance your business no end.

Oh Geeg, my mouth is watering, I love "innovation", I really need to book myself into "eja" education junkie anonymous:lol:

I really dont like the thought of being an 'old timer' as ive got my horrid '0' brithday approaching (I want to stay in my 20s forever!) but I guess with nails its okay :)

The industry has changed loads since I first started my college course 13 years ago (cant believe its been so long!)

If it wasnt for new things and taking new challenges Id not be the tech I am today without all the education and progression available to us techs

Ive got some training booked in with my educator in a few weeks and I'm so excited as I love to learn new things and get myself back on track

Jess x

Well I think I definitely fall into the 'old timer' category!! :lol:

Judging from some of the comments it might seem a little scary at all the old and new techniques and products that need to be mastered. But you know it really isn't at all! That is if you learn really well at the beginning!

If those that are still new really put the time in to master their skills and, just as importantly, understand the WHOLE subject then the rest is just updating. A quick and inexpensive day or half day update or conversion eh voila! A whole new service to offer your clients and probably one that is new and exciting to them that they can't resist!

One of the things that does concern me though (and this isn't a popular opinion!) is the amount of time newish techs spend on the type of nail art that isn't commercial, i.e. 3D stuff etc. For those that are that creative and artistic it's a great thing to do to harness that creativity and does give 'product control' a new meaning. But........I don't believe it should be done at the expense of commercial skills!

The extreme nail art will never be commercial as it takes too long to be able to charge clients a realistic price. I believe some techs go down that route too soon and lose focus on what really matters.

'Old timers' like Geeg and me spent so much time at the beginning learning every aspect of our craft (mostly due to the investment put into this area by CND) that nothing is daunting!

Well I think I definitely fall into the 'old timer' category!! :lol:

Judging from some of the comments it might seem a little scary at all the old and new techniques and products that need to be mastered. But you know it really isn't at all! That is if you learn really well at the beginning!

If those that are still new really put the time in to master their skills and, just as importantly, understand the WHOLE subject then the rest is just updating. A quick and inexpensive day or half day update or conversion eh voila! A whole new service to offer your clients and probably one that is new and exciting to them that they can't resist!

One of the things that does concern me though (and this isn't a popular opinion!) is the amount of time newish techs spend on the type of nail art that isn't commercial, i.e. 3D stuff etc. For those that are that creative and artistic it's a great thing to do to harness that creativity and does give 'product control' a new meaning. But........I don't believe it should be done at the expense of commercial skills!

The extreme nail art will never be commercial as it takes too long to be able to charge clients a realistic price. I believe some techs go down that route too soon and lose focus on what really matters.

'Old timers' like Geeg and me spent so much time at the beginning learning every aspect of our craft (mostly due to the investment put into this area by CND) that nothing is daunting!

I totally agree with this comment, and I admit that I do love nail art - doing and looking at others. But first and formost are practise practise practise my P+W. I love having a play, but this comes second. But I do think having a play does help with product control and I do think learning nail art techniques does set you apart from your competitors.

As a tech who can harness these skills you can wear your own little pieces of art, this will generate interest from people who may or may not be a little more adventerous. But they will appreciate that you have more skill than the salon down that road that offers your typical everyday pink and whites, usually achieved by the application of white tips and a pink overlay.

anne xx

You are singing my song but do NOT get me started on this one. Of course I completely agree with you.

I think some new ones use all this stuff gobbed on the top of the enhancement to hide how bad the enhancements are .. trouble is it's bad nails and bad art and looks horrendous. PLUS no one wants it even if it is done well.

The scariest thing to me is that they seem to like it and are proud of it!!!! Now that is really worrying.

'Old timers' like Geeg and me spent so much time at the beginning learning every aspect of our craft that nothing is daunting!

For 3 years all I did was sculpt l&p and perfected my techniques before I found something new and I was really shown how to get the best from my products, not only in design but to produce comp winning nails as well as the most natural which clients like and the only way I found how was via education

I didnt realise when I started what you could achieve and what options were out there..... I never read any nails mags and internet forums like the geek and the old yahoo nailtechUK group(i wonder if thats still about??) were only just starting...

I didnt really know they were out there, trade shows were smaller.... my first show i went to was in Brighton...lol and that was when I was at college......

but I'm so glad I moved away from the job I had, Id still be doing what the girls who own the salon I started in do, just l&p and basic manis...... now I can offer everything, gel, fibre, l&p, sculpts, tip overlay, design, nails art, spa mani/pedi the list goes on.....

I also do think that without the basics I could never have gone on to do the 'exciting' stuff that i really love to do.... altho I do still love a good old set of sculptured p&w!

I just remembered what a client said to me this week.... 'Jess, your talents wasted here...' (working in a salon i think she means) as she loves the nail art and design I do and bless her, thinks I'm a talented tech...... but not everyone wants the glitz and bling for their nails...... so I do pride myself on being able to offer everything to a high standard.... I guess we all should aim for that too :)

Jess x

edit.... just been googling and found the old group omg... its been years...lol.... i guess the geek took over ;) http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/nailtechuk/ .... Ive even got some scary old photos of work on there too....lol

Last edited:
What a great thread!

I took my first college course in 2003 and never looked back...even though I had to take another one straight afterwards and 'un-learn' everything I had been taught!

I try and take some courses every year, even if it is a half day of inspiration.l love keeping up the education and the new products that are constantly being introduced. I get so excited!

I admit in the very early days, I was one of those techs who tried to run before I could walk. I sat in my spare room night after night wanting to do the most amazing fantasy nail art!

Rather than carrying on and failing miserably, I worked on my application of p/w nails etc then after I was confident, I then took a few courses and learnt to play with my acrylic!

Nails is not only my career but my hobby too and my passion. I know there is not much call for complex 3d designs etc but now I have learnt the basics and perfected my pink and whites etc, I love to play and learn new things!

Sam xx

Latest posts

Back