Hiring someone who....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katkat2008

Reaction score
isnt someone you thought you would hire!

Okay, so this girl has come in a few times to try and work here. As you probably read in my previous post I am having trouble with one of my employees.

Thing is this girl who has come in for a job - doesnt really look the part - dont jump on me for saying that! What I mean, is she has scraggly hair, and doesnt really dress appropriately.

Do you guys think, if I called her in and said that she can come in to work 1 day a week until it gets busier, but with stipulations. Do you think that if I say she needs to dress up a little more, and must have her hair either back, or straighted or curled etc. -but in a nice way, that it is pushing it?

I am looking for honest nice advice here guys k....I know it sounds harsh, but we are in the beauty industry and I cant have someone come work for me who has really tatterd nails, hair that she just walked out of the shower with and dries icky, and shirts with little slits down the sides when she isnt really - well, she is a little overweight and it looks horrible :S

Sorry to sound harsh. But should I give her a chance? It would help her out - no one around here is looking for an esthetician - except me lol and I know she wants to work here.

can you maybe have a gentle word with her , get her a salon tunic (that will look very smart) and generally try boost her up ? she might be a fab esty :green: she just maybe doesnt have the confidence or the know how to dress right? (i know they should but sometimes peeps just dont)
hth xx

can you maybe have a gentle word with her , get her a salon tunic (that will look very smart) and generally try boost her up ? she might be a fab esty :green: she just maybe doesnt have the confidence or the know how to dress right? (i know they should but sometimes peeps just dont)
hth xx
I agree with Dee, good advice and a gentle word won't hurt, especially if she enjoys the job she is doing. No need to mention the weight thing as I think that part is irrelevant.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:hug:

Thanks guys. Oh and about the weight thing. I definately wouldnt mention that. I just did on here because the shirt she wore to her interview had these little cuts down the side and you could see stuff that I didnt really want to see :S

Maybe I will try this out. Hm, guess I will give her a call to see if she is up for one day a week :)

If the thoughts of having a word with her in person brings you out in a cold sweat, how about having a written policies manual/booklet. These can be given out alongside contracts of employment but can be more specific as to how you want them to dress, hair etc...

Nothing wrong with telling someone that they need to look professional (in a kind matter) To work in your salon. And I agree with not mentioning the weight , and a smock is a good idea.:)

Why not give her a try-out for a month. That way, if she doesn't smarten up etc, you can let her go - no contract. After all, she should've been trying to make a good impression on you if she wanted the job in the first place. JMO

Why are you even considering hiring her if there are so many things about her appearance that you want to change?

Why are you even considering hiring her if there are so many things about her appearance that you want to change?
agreed!! the best person for the job is the one who puts forward what you need for your business.. having a salon would be enough pressure.. having an employee who isnt capable of supporting you and your salon in every way.. including appearance.. which lets face it IS a huge part of the job.. well why would you bother?

Skills are paramount, appearance can be worked on....remember the ugly duckling and the ugly bug ball?

Often I think I don't have the right appearance to be in this business compared to my peers....but still I continue because I think I'm good at what I do.

well i hear that too.. i dont think i am your typical nail tech.. but what i meant was, if i was hiring someone.. the best person suited to the job would get the placement.. and isnt it just normal that if you were going for a job you would have your appearance up to scratch? your first impression is your appearance imo.. you dont have to be a stunner but presentable yes..

you guys are all so great on here :)

Okay, honestly - I dont want to sound like a cow, but normally I wouldnt hire someone like this girl - because of the appearance thing. It did really bother me that she came to the interview not dressed nicely. I think what I am going to do, is call her in again for interview #2. At this "interview" I am going to tell her we are going to try this out for 1 month. I will tell her about having to dress up - we do wear smocks, but a smock doesnt cover up everything :S OR I was thinking that maybe I would get the attire they wear at hospitals. I have seen some med. spas where the employees wear them. My employees can have a choice of wearing those, or a smock with black pants. (this will be easy because most of us wear black pants to work all the time - I will just implement this now to look more professional)

Anyways - I think I am going to try this :) Now - to figure out pay!!!! lol - I think I will tell her for the first month, I will have her one day a week, at an hourly wage. I can say if things work out - after the one month, we will review it all.

Does this sound like something reasonable?

Some people have no idea when it comes to interviews. I think your idea is great. If you give her the guidelines of how she needs to present herself, then I don't see that is an issue.

My part-time job is for a government authority and you should see the uniform guidelines. No chipped nail polish, clean, ironed uniform, certain types of footwear etc so I don't think it's unreasonable to have strict guidelines in the beauty industry.

Provided she knows what you expect than I think it's fine and a set of scubs is a good idea. I was recently looking into that myself for a salon uniform. They have then in all sorts of colours and designs now.

not that most of you care - but I am excited. I called this girl today and she is coming in tomorrow :)

Funny that when the girl who I have been having trouble with found out, she was all perfect helping out and asking if she could work extra...grrr I think it kinda kicked her in the rear and made her realize we could still get along without her.

Now - just to decide how to pay!

that sounds promising. Hope it goes well.

I really think you have a great chance to improve this girls confidence, and show her that she can look lovely! As therapists, we all know about the psychologcal benefits of being prettied-up and maybe the girl could really use some confedence-boosting right now!

If I were you, I'd use your skills and experience to really help her, this could changed her life - trust me I started out at college all quite and awkward, I was defensive and almost stand-oofish sometimes, purely because I lacked confidence and basically felt like an idiot, and that I had no common ground with any of the other girls. But there was one teacher who belived in me, and now I feel like I have the world at my feet! In fact I feel quite emotional thinking about it now! Good luck, hope she is everything you need for your business to thrive xxx

YAY! Thought I would let you all know what happened. She came in - wearing MUCH better clothes. She also had her hair much better. PHEW.

I did still discuss that she must wear smocks - with either the pants that come with them (like the ones that nurses wear), or dress pants.

We discussed hair. I said that it either has to be up, straightened or curled.

She was really good. Anyways, she starts tomorrow!

I so hope this works out for both of you:lol:

ok...so I hired this girl that came in. I told her a one month trial to see if she works out for us and if we work out for her. We agreed on one day a week until it gets busier.

Anyways, I know its only one day so you never know - but she came in today and cleaned - she said she wasnt doing anything at home so she thought she would come in to see if we needed any help....after cleaning - She took some extra flyers out and about....well, by the end of the day - she is already completely booked for two days this week - plus half day next sat, and has a few for the following week!!!!!

WOOOOO HOOOOOOOO - this is more than my other employee has ever done lol

Anyways, so far I really like her. Plus - just in one week she will earn more money than the other girl has in the past two weeks! (She has been booking days off, cancelling appointments). I am so excited!

Thanks for everyones words of encouragement and wisdom!

That's great! she's not sitting there waiting for work. She's finding it for herself.

Latest posts

Back