Hopi Ear Candles problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanettes

Reaction score
Hi, I have been doing Hopi for the past 6 years and passionately believe in their effectiveness - they definitely helped me when nothing else did (I had previously been attending the hospital). When I first started doing them a few years ago I had a candle which dripped wax down through the filter and into the outer ear. Obviously this concerned me at the time but there was a window open and I put it down to a draught in the room. I contacted my tutor (who now has an important editorial column within an insurance company magazine) and she said it had happened to her once, but luckily it was on her mum.
My concern is that is has now happened again and this time there was no draught, the window was closed, the room was not hot, and I was watching the candle all the time and it was burning evenly with no indication at all that the wax was making its way past the filter and into the client's outer ear.
I have now taken then off my treatment list as it has really spooked me - I, myself, would not want the treatment now. One defective candle I got over, but two has now seriously made me reconsider.
Is there anyone else who has had this problem. I also intend writing to my insurance company to check with them if any other therapists had ever put in claims on candles?

it may be a problem with the candle hun! i use biosun ones and have never had this problem. if the filter is working correctly you shouldn't have this happening - after all that is what the filter is deisgned for!

by the way this should be on the skin forum not nails xxx

Thanks, they are Biosun Hopi ones. I have always used them. Can't understand why it has happened to me twice over the years though. It has really unnerved me.
How do I change it to the skin forum please?
x

One of the lovely mods may be along soon and move it for you! :D

Thanks Sheila x

I work in a spa and we used to offer it as a treatment but it has now been removed. Unfortunately one therapist who is very experienced did the treatment on another therapist and the therapist who had the treatment basically had to go to hospital as the wax had dripped into her ear and she was in severe pain! Luckily (obviously not for the therapist who had the treatment) it wasn't on a client otherwise there would have been serious repercussions!

If i were you i would take this up with biosun they really should know about this.They obviously sell millions of candles and they are very well regarded and accepted as safe by many practioners,insurance companies and examining boards indeed there have been many heated discussions on here as to safety and effectiveness but like anything else if something is faulty the manufacturer should know about it especially when client safety is involved.

OBIC - Thank you for replying - not just me then, I was beginning to wonder.

Last edited:
@ Gillian W - Thank you. I hadn't thought of contacting them directly, just my insurance company. I will do, and wonder if anyone else has?
x

Hi,

This is a bit scary! I've been using the Biosun candles for 3 years now and have had this happen once. Fortunately the wax didn't drip all the way down but to about half-way between the filter and the ear. The client was blissfully unaware and it was only after they'd gone I opened it but even that freaked me out because of what could have happened.

I put it down to something i'd done or a totally random thing so it's worrying to know that this is happening to others.

I agree you should contact Biosun or your wholesaler as well as your insurance folk.

It would be interesting to hear what both parties say - would you mind posting the outcome, please?

Hi, I have been doing Hopi for the past 6 years and passionately believe in their effectiveness - they definitely helped me when nothing else did (I had previously been attending the hospital). When I first started doing them a few years ago I had a candle which dripped wax down through the filter and into the outer ear. Obviously this concerned me at the time but there was a window open and I put it down to a draught in the room. I contacted my tutor (who now has an important editorial column within an insurance company magazine) and she said it had happened to her once, but luckily it was on her mum.
My concern is that is has now happened again and this time there was no draught, the window was closed, the room was not hot, and I was watching the candle all the time and it was burning evenly with no indication at all that the wax was making its way past the filter and into the client's outer ear.
I have now taken then off my treatment list as it has really spooked me - I, myself, would not want the treatment now. One defective candle I got over, but two has now seriously made me reconsider.
Is there anyone else who has had this problem. I also intend writing to my insurance company to check with them if any other therapists had ever put in claims on candles?

This has also happened to me using Biosun candles :(

I'm slightly worried now. I have my Hopi ear candle course in a couple of weeks and we were told to buy biosun candles which i have. I have not taken them out of the box yet, thought i would wait untill my course.
When you say the wax runs down the filter. Is the wax running inside or outside the candle?

@ fena - Hi, the wax ran down the inside of the candle, past the filter and out the bottom - as it had done years ago. I was nervous after the first time, but as I say I truly believe they are really effective and helped me with head pressure enormously. I got past my nervousness eventually and thought it was just something I had to put behind me so still did the treatments - however, now it has happened a second time I personally wouldn't be able to lie there and have the treatment myself so I have taken it off my list. It's not worth the damage it could do to my business. x

@ Spa Therapist - I'm interested to know if you still do the treatment? x

@ trozzina - the first time years ago I thought it was maybe due to a draught in the room. However, this time there was no reason nor any indication whatsoever that this was happening. Just glad he was a nice man and didn't end up in hospital (he had had the treatment with me before, so was very understanding.
I will post the outcome of the insurance and manufacturers but I guess it will take time x

OBIC - Thank you for replying - not just me then, I was beginning to wonder.

Forgot to say it was also BioSun that we used and the senior therapist who it happened to reported it to them as she figured it could have been a faulty batch that it came in!? As I mentioned earlier it was removed from the spa treatments as we were without a manager at the time so the senior therapist just took the decision upon herself to completely remove it as she didn't want to be dealing with it happening to an actual client! The problem apparently had actually perforated her eardrum!

I was thinking about adding this to my home treatments at the time and taking a course but to be honest I personally wouldn't be wanting to take that risk now so won't be adding that to my treatments!

i know loads of therapists having problems with biosun!!!!! they are cheap and VERY unreliable!!! there are also alot of claims against these ongoing at the moment!!! if u want to continue the treatment i suggest using the canadian ear candles (cant remember what they are called) they are more cone shaped and are excellent! they remove 100% more wax and inpuraties i was amazed at the results compared to biosun!:D

I used to use otosan, but my insurance now stipulates that I use biosun. I don't have many people wanting ear candling, but I've had good results from clients that have had it.

Having said that I'm going to take it off my menu. Hearing these problems from other properly trained professionals, has worried me. I'm not willing to risk someone getting burned even if many clients have had good benefits.

I need to be able to 100% trust my equipment.

i know loads of therapists having problems with biosun!!!!! they are cheap and VERY unreliable!!! there are also alot of claims against these ongoing at the moment!!! if u want to continue the treatment i suggest using the canadian ear candles (cant remember what they are called) they are more cone shaped and are excellent! they remove 100% more wax and inpuraties i was amazed at the results compared to biosun!:D

I don't personally think they are cheap or unreliable.
Can you give us a link to read about all of these claims as this is the first I have heard about it to be honest.

I think a lot of insurance companies stipulate that biosun are used as they have the CE mark, being prepared under lab conditions.

Obviously if you don't trust your equipment, your faith in it will be impaired, but having used biosun faithfully for a number of years will continue to do 2-4 treatments a week with them with faith and belief in my equipment.

I look forward to reading more on the claims against biosun that you have mentioned.

The guild magazine featured hopi ear candles in the last magazine and this wasn't mentioned, maybe they can shed some light on it as well.

Latest posts

Back