Hot Towels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janjan1

Reaction score
I went for a facial the other day and the therapist was heating the wet towels in what looked like a slow cooker. Does anyone do this?

If it was a slow cooker then its a good idea i think as they don't cost much at all.

Janine

I've seen and heard of a few people doing this, and think its a good idea. I came across a website or catalogue selling towel heaters the other day, and covered up the description and said to my partner 'whats that'? He instantly said 'well, its just like our slow cooker'! You know what they had stuck a label on saying towel heater and were charging £99.99! I think we paid £35!

Also remembered this thread below...

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/35373-warm-towels-using-slow-cooker.html?highlight=Cooker

I have used a tefal steamer you can get them in Robert Dyas down here for £19.99 special offer! You can even put aroma oils in the bottom so the towels smell yummy!

I used my slow cooker for my warm towel but once i got them out to used, they were burnt :irked:

I dont know if I had kept them in for too long ... about 20mins or if this has happended to anyone else!!

I use a slow cooker to warm my towels. I put them in nice and damp and have a little drizzel of water in the base so it doesnt dry out (stops the burn) I add a couple of drops of lemon oil and bobs your uncle. The towels come out steaming hot and smell all lemony or what ever oil you decide to use. Peppermint is nice for pedicure towels.

I use a slow cooker to warm my towels. I put them in nice and damp and have a little drizzel of water in the base so it doesnt dry out (stops the burn) I add a couple of drops of lemon oil and bobs your uncle. The towels come out steaming hot and smell all lemony or what ever oil you decide to use. Peppermint is nice for pedicure towels.

:grr: Thanks hun :green:

Does anyone know if it is ok to use lavender if you are pregnant. Was going to try this on the towels for facials but thought it was unsafe. I have just looked at an aromatherapy website though which said it was ok? Gonna get my slow cooker out later and give this a try.

Jan

Slow cooker is fab for heating towels. I bought mine in Argos. I've never had a problem with towels burning, although I always keep it on low.

A few sprinkles of oil, and I'm away!!!:green:

Does anyone know if it is ok to use lavender if you are pregnant. Was going to try this on the towels for facials but thought it was unsafe. I have just looked at an aromatherapy website though which said it was ok? Gonna get my slow cooker out later and give this a try.

Jan

I was told Lavender oil is best avoided for the first trimester, by an aromatherapist, but I must admit I've seen confliciting info and tend to avoid it altogether.

OILS TO AVOID DURING PREGNANCY
Use of essential oils should be extremely limited or avoided during the first trimester of pregnancy, but has many wonderful uses in the last two trimesters and especially during labor.
Oils to avoid during pregnancy include:
Basil, Cedar Wood, Cinnamon, Clary sage (during labor), Clove, Cypress (after 5 months), Fennel, Hyssop, Jasmine (during labor), Juniper, Lemongrass, Myrrh, Parsley and Pennyroyal, and Peppermint.

OILS RECOMMENDED DURING PREGNANCY
The following oils will be comfortable for using during pregnancy. As always, use caution if you have allergies or a family history of allergies. If you feel you may be allergic to oil, do a patch test first. Good oils for pregnancy include:
Bergamot, Chamomile, Cypress (after 5 mos.), Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Geranium (avoid in early pregnancy), Grapefruit, Lavender. Lemon, Mandarin, Neroli, Patchouli, Petitgrain, Rosewood, Sandalwood and Tangerine
If you are currently pregnant and have been using any of the essential oils that need to be avoided, but are not experiencing any bleeding or cramping, then there most likely is nothing wrong. However, it is strongly encouraged you to consult your doctor or midwife and discontinue use of the "to be avoided" essential oils.

Wow I have got a steamer I never use - I shall now be using for my pedi's

I personally dont use any essential oils in the first 3 months,better to be safe than sorry.

As a former airhostess with the mostess !!!!!! I always use hot towels in my manis & pedis and do it the simple way that we used to do on the aircraft!
I just use rolled up flannels and place in a serving dish(with or without scented oils ) and pour boiling water on them from the kettle. Press to remove excess water with spoon , drain off excess and bobs your uncle - no need for slow cookers etc.
You can also do it in the microwave - easy !!
Always a really refreshing service I think!
best wishes
Jayney m

You can get steamers and slow cookers both cheap at places like Argos - i got both of mine for 9.99 each - im going to try using my slow cooker tomorrow night when i do a pedicure on my friend! :)

Latest posts

Back