How to get rid of smoke smell after client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krissy07

Reaction score
I have a new client and I am finding it really hard to get rid of the cigarette smoke smell in my salon room after she leaves. any tips? I have tried air freshener, linen spray, oil burner + cleaning and vacuuming after client as I usually do. I can smell it for about two days after and I have been opening the windows too. Is there anything I can try? many thanks

I have a new client and I am finding it really hard to get rid of the cigarette smoke smell in my salon room after she leaves. any tips? I have tried air freshener, linen spray, oil burner + cleaning and vacuuming after client as I usually do. I can smell it for about two days after and I have been opening the windows too. Is there anything I can try? many thanks

why not just have a non-smoking policy id hate to go somewhre with smoke smell and there is usually no smoking in salons anyway so clients should be ok with it.

You need to have a "No Smoking" sign up and tell clients that because you are working with flammable products smoking is not allowed....its your place of work and if you don't want smoking in there then thats your choice...in the uk we don't get a choice its just not allowed.

I agree with the other posters, they shouldn't be smoking at all in the salon.
Bicarb of soda helps to eliminate smells, you can put some in a jar mix some aromatherapy oils in like lemon or grapefruit, sprinkle on the carpets and hoover it up; if you dont have any oils the bicarb works well on its own anyhow...xXx

This is not legal any more, this is your place of work so it is the same as any other place of work. The newish smoking ban will cover you on this. I, personally would not let her smoke anyway but you can use the law if you need an excuse! :biggrin:

i assumed she isnt actually smoking in the salon but that the client is leaving that nasty stale smoke smell behind as heavy smokers often do??

I thought that at first too but surely this wouldn't linger for days? :biggrin:

I think shes saying the client smells and not smoking in the salon , orange sent seems to work well for smoke smells,
Are you sure it is as bad as you think? Maybe its not?
Have you recently stopped smoking ? I only ask because I stopped smoking last year and the first few months it really bugged me being near/ working on smokers , if this is the case try having some xtra strong mints that you can have while working it will stop you from smelling it, also I don't know if you do this or not but before you start send her over to the sink to wash her hands with the nail brush and some Mundo hand wash , this is what most of the nail salons I have been to in the states do before you sit at the table so I don't think she will feel put out by it or anything, and maybe hang her coat up near an open window?

Oh and i forgot to say
as orange and citrus smells do help CND have Citris spa manicure range , they smell like lemmon sorbay ,(very yummy dont eat it tho) I tend to use them on my male clients , summer time and the hevy smokers ;)

criky! no smoking in my salon of course!! she just smells very strongly of smoke!!!! very! to the point of making me feel sick!! I myself dont smoke at all. my hubby smokes outside, but he doesn't smell like this!

criky! no smoking in my salon of course!! she just smells very strongly of smoke!!!! very! to the point of making me feel sick!! I myself dont smoke at all. my hubby smokes outside, but he doesn't smell like this!

I'll bet she's smoking in her car on the way to the appointment, that's a really small space and would make it very concentrated. YUK!

god she must be on 60 a day or not washing if the reek is that bad lol I'm saying this as a smoker, (10 a day habitlol) I smoke in the car on way to appointments and none of my clients think I smoke until I tell them! the reply I get is god I never smell it did'nt think u smoked!
Anyhoo getting back to your question, I have a febreeze plug in, and burn vanilla scented candles from ikea (windows open all the time) and my non smoking freinds always comment that they never smell it in my house hope this helps xx

god she must be on 60 a day or not washing if the reek is that bad lol I'm saying this as a smoker, (10 a day habitlol) I smoke in the car on way to appointments and none of my clients think I smoke until I tell them! the reply I get is god I never smell it did'nt think u smoked!
Anyhoo getting back to your question, I have a febreeze plug in, and burn vanilla scented candles from ikea (windows open all the time) and my non smoking freinds always comment that they never smell it in my house hope this helps xx

Fabreeze for me too, all four of us smoke in my house and I hate the smell when I come back in, so fabreeze gets a good work out as we go out and it never smells of fags when we come back anymore. But, two days after, makes me wonder if you might be (and I don't mean to be nasty here) a little bit paranoid about it? My darling cat once brought me a dead rat, a very dead rat, omg did it stink! and for days after I kept thinking I could smell it, no one else could but every now and then I was sure the stench was still there, drove me mad!!

Put 60% vinegar i a bowl, leave it overnight and the smell will be gone in the morning!

Thanks for the vinegar tip, I'm going to try it - I have a gentlemen client who is lovely but smokes like a chimney. Of course, nobody smokes in my clinic but his clothes are ingrained with the smell and last month, the waiting room still smelt three days on

I'll let you know if it works :wink2:....

Take care, MrsMac

When she arrives ask her to wash her hands with an antibacterial soap, (tell her its a new product your trying out or something) That may help dilute the odour for a little while until you open the monomer lol.
I would also have some relaxing oils perhaps in a dish or on tissues around the room. It may help ease your sinuses !!!!!!

I already have oil burning in an oil burner, she does wash her hands with anti bacterial hand wash, and the monomer .... well I can smell the monomer so that doesn't fix it either.lol

I smoke, camel wides, and I never smell. It's probably her brand of cigarette. My step dad used to smoke, marlboro reds, and my mom couldn't even sleep in the same bed as him he smelled so bad. He smoked 3 packs a day though.

I cured the smell by crushing orange peels into a ziplock back, poking holes the size of a nail, and washing it with his clothes.

Citrus works the best, of course. Especially fresh oranges. I'd say after she leaves, take some fresh oranges and crush some of the peels around where she sat. The stink comes from the source, and after that it's just about opening the door and letting it air out for about an hour.

Oh and i forgot to say
as orange and citrus smells do help CND have Citris spa manicure range , they smell like lemmon sorbay ,(very yummy dont eat it tho) I tend to use them on my male clients , summer time and the hevy smokers ;)

Agree on cirtris .

I smoke, camel wides, and I never smell. It's probably her brand of cigarette. My step dad used to smoke, marlboro reds, and my mom couldn't even sleep in the same bed as him he smelled so bad. He smoked 3 packs a day though. Think you're right about the brand, when I was younger both my parents smoked, and smoked alot, but when my uncle came round (he smoked different brand) eugh! It was a really pungent smell! I'd totally forgotten about it until you mentioned it!

I cured the smell by crushing orange peels into a ziplock back, poking holes the size of a nail, and washing it with his clothes. Have to say, what an absolutely brilliant idea!

Citrus works the best, of course. Especially fresh oranges. I'd say after she leaves, take some fresh oranges and crush some of the peels around where she sat. The stink comes from the source, and after that it's just about opening the door and letting it air out for about an hour.
I'll remember the clothes washing idea for future reference, I'll bet the clothes smelled lovely after that!

Latest posts

Back