How would you feel about adverts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about banner ads?

• I feel great. You can never have too many on a site!

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Well, if its the only way to keep things free, I guess I am OK with it

Votes: 168 62.0%
  • Aw man, you cant be serious! That really sucks. But if you have to - you have to

Votes: 57 21.0%
  • Viva la geek! Shut the damn site down rather than put banner ads!

Votes: 13 4.8%

• Total voters
POP-UPS WOULD MAKE ME TURN OFF, BANNERS WOULD NOT!!!

I'm serious, if I click on a site and more than one pop-up appears, that's it I'm off, I can't abide the damn things, and it could be the one thing to drive me away from this site, however banners I can manage!!

I too have never thought about how much it costs to run a site, especially one on this scale! Will have a serious think about becoming a premium after my wedding is paid for.

So I say do what you have to do Sam!

Sam i can only guess but The geek Lounge at Excel - is this coming out of your pocket too ? all the terminals and costs associated with this ??

A little from all of us will go along way - this site afterall IS FOR US ! I for one DO NOT WANT IT TO GO. Sorry if upsetting anyone but im so pationate about this site and i feel ashamed that i was not aware sooner that Sam is taking the hit of extra costings for running / maintaining this for us - though should have realised !

What can we do ?

kx

The site isnt going anywhere ;)

The lounge is courtesy of Professional Beauty (as well as the imagery and internet connections). The only thing I have to provide is 4 laptops and people to work it.

Am still working on the laptops and people :)

Here i am Sam willing and offering to help on the geek stand - just tell me when and where and what you want of me ! nifty with a laptop !!

Too shy to audition though:irked: i also have a sassy little friend whos offering too !

kx

The Nail Geek said:
The site isnt going anywhere ;)

The lounge is courtesy of Professional Beauty (as well as the imagery and internet connections). The only thing I have to provide is 4 laptops and people to work it.

Am still working on the laptops and people :)

Mani-fique! said:
Yeah you're right and I do agree; it was just the observation that just lately there seems to be an awful lot of 'chat' that is way off as you put and less nail related responses where people have asked questions but got very little response. It just gets a bit boring sometimes to come on and all you get is 'chat' but I'm not against it either.. I sure like to chat myself lol but I want more 'nail suff' thats all.

Fair enough, I can see your point!

The Nail Geek said:
Is this really the thread to be arguing guys?

Sorry GMG - was just concerned that the value of this site as a community might not be shared by all that use it.

:cool: All is cool from my end!

If needs must, then you must :). Banner ads can be OK and I'm sure they'll be tastefully done. If I'm not interested, I can just ignore them ...

Not got a problem with ads.....

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned it yet...... The PLUS side to ads would be that it would be a poke in the eye for all those out there who don't use the site or slate it "Because it's Creative/ You have to be a Creative Tech to use it/ They only promote Creative products/ blah blah blah". (Do we really want them on here anyway if they're so small minded? Hmmmmmm??)

Keep meaning to become Premium Geek but feel I'm getting ahead of myself, making it look like I know what I'm talking about!! I know that's not what it's about, just didn't want to sign up and everyone go "eeer, why?" LOL!

Anyhooo, will out it TOP of my list of things to do on payday.
Don't feel too guilty about taking advantage of your generosity so far though Sam. It was down to this site, you and Mrs Geek that made me decide to go with Creative for training and products - and the amount I've spent since as a result - I think I've redeemed myself! :lol:

Banners would be fine, you can read 'em if you want and ignore them if you don't want! I agree with all that this site is far too valuable to worry about a few ads, which may be of interest anyway. I have found so many hints and tips, support and encouragement, and new friends that I have to say I will always log on and have a look whatever you do!!

So thank you Sweet Samuel - and thankyou for my birthday message! x

I dont have a problem with either banner ads OR pop ups - I have a great FREE pop up blocker - so it really would not make any difference to me....

On another note - although I havnt renewned my subscription to Premium geekdom yet! - (MAJOR cash flow problems) - I have to be honest here and say if it became the only way to use the site (via compuslory subscription) I would find a way to pay...I know that makes me sound really bad - but im just being honest....I suppose a way to compare would be a smoker who really needs to give up cos they're skint - but is offered free cigerettes....does that make sense??

I'll shut up now :irked:

No problems with banners at all..... have just subscribed to premium geek, so suppose I could turn them off anyway!!
It doesn't really make much difference if there are banners.... I could not survive without my regular fix of nail geekdom!!!!

Firstly the funding for this site comes out of Sams own pocket...and giga space and web presence for this fab site doesn't come cheap.......
We have the best global web facilities on this site by far this includes the chat room, the gallery and not to mention the help each one of us gets from this site. All this is for free..... but nothing is ever free and at the moment Sam is the one digging deep into his own pocket.........
We have a cool 4,079 members on our list, but only just over 100 premium geeks........Why arn't there more ???? We have 3 different subscribtion options.... the 5 week one, the cheapest is £4.00, less than a few cans of brew ,a packet of cigaretts or a half decend bottle of vino callapso....or the fee for petrol or bus ride to visit a fellow Nail Technician friend, and you don't even have to leave your home lol, your friends are there online ready to chat or give advise.......thats a £1 a week for the best there is and you don't get a hang over of suffer from smoking related desease,unless you are like me and drink and type at the same time....:p . Well a girl has to have some vices...:wink2: .... this site is definetly beneficial to our skill health and more important to our clients health..........It is an important education tool for all of us new or old and seasoned Technicians....

So I can only imagine how much all this costs to give us this valued Nail Technology service..........
Banners and pop up's would not stop me from using this valued education and community support.... I have pop up controls and banners well love em or hate them, if funding help is comming from this then so be it.........But on the other hand if we had more Premmy geeks then this should lighten the load quiet a bit and Sam might not have to look for other funding options..........
But either way I am here to stay lol.......... You don't get rid of me that easy lol.................

I think the site is Excellent, i too have just parted with what i would consider a minimal amount of cash to be a Premium Geek for year.

I am sure most people would be happy to subscribe in one way or another.

I have found the site addictive, invaluable, funny, and met lots of nice people.......

pop ups/banners/ whatever no probs for me.

Thanks again Sam for a wicked site.

The Nail Geek said:
After all - Im not looking to buy a new house in Cheshire - I just want my bills reduced ;)

There's a house just gone on the market round the corner from me if your interested:lol:

It will be a shame if Ad's have to be added, It annoys me slightly that 1000's use the site now yet there still only a few premium geeks. Any way I block pop-up(hate the bloody things) and banners I can cope with so do what as to be done Sam :wink2:
Im not looking to buy a new house in Cheshire
Shame we could have been neighbours :cool:

lell said:
Shame we could have been neighbours :cool:

Maybe we could share???:wink2:

Sorry Mrs Geek :irked:

Sam

This site has so much educational value to everyone and people have met great friends through this site I think premium subscription is the way forward if you think about it for a year its the price of a book bargain, I would rather pay subscription for the site myself, to me its the best money I have ever spent.
Cheers Sam for making this site a great place.

Take care Dawnie xxxx

Sarwaa said:
I don't think you can really complain about that, for the site is called The NAIL Geek and it was created to chat about nails. You could have waited, I have been in the chat room loads and the conversation is rarely about nails.

Sarah

I think its 50/50 here - GMG would not have put the Chat Forum there if he didnt want is used?? Both he and Mrs Geek post there too!

I dont go in chat that often but the 5 (lol) times i have it has been on nails - having realtime chats about a specific problem..

I believe although you didn't want to Sam that we should all pay an annual subscription to use the site. That way if people really value the site they will pay :cool:

My thoughts exactly Lell even if there was an introduction period of 30 - 60 days for everyone to get to know this site prior to committing. Though I cannot imagine any Nail Technicians not wanting to commit once visiting ?

Also id like to highlight how much we spend on our subscriptions to Scratch and Professional Nails - I personally subscribe to both and whilst i love them if i had to drop one of the magazines in favour of subscribing to this site i wouldnt hesitate i just get so much more out of this 24/7 its live and there is ALWAYS someone to help besides all the other benefits of this site raised previously in this thread

I do hope im coming across as passionate rather than any other way when responding !:eek:

kx

lell said:
I believe although you didn't want to Sam that we should all pay an annual subscription to use the site. That way if people really value the site they will pay :cool:

Latest posts

Back