How would you feel about adverts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about banner ads?

• I feel great. You can never have too many on a site!

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Well, if its the only way to keep things free, I guess I am OK with it

Votes: 168 62.0%
  • Aw man, you cant be serious! That really sucks. But if you have to - you have to

Votes: 57 21.0%
  • Viva la geek! Shut the damn site down rather than put banner ads!

Votes: 13 4.8%

• Total voters
I have been thinking about this for a few days and I really don't think that adverts on the site would bother me personally.

I go onto lots of different sites and I have to say most of the time I don't even notice the adverts. I think if you use the internet alot you get used to them...although I do have a pop up blocker!!!! :wink2: The other thing is that if the ads are nail related then they are relevant ....and may have some good offers too!!! (hey, I'm always looking for a bargain!!)

GMG you must do what you have to to keep this site going and for it not to cost YOU. It is unfair on you and your family if you are out of pocket.

I subscribe to one of the trade magazines and get so much more from this site that I ever would from a magazine every month. Free info, training and chatting to friends that I have made....no competition. :wink2: I have just signed up :lol: :lol: I totally appreciate that some people just cannot afford it .....I haven't signed for the full year as I couldn't afford it...but I am hoping that every little bit helps.

Firstly, I love this site and I'm not trying to start a flamewar or offend anybody. I don't know what I would do without this site...and yes the majority of my posts are not about nails but about personal issues that I need to vent to someone somewhere about, and yes, I put them in the appropriate forum.

I think it's unfair for people to say what us geeks can and cannot do with our finances,:irked: I couldn't start school the first time I registered for lack of funds, I live in a beautiful apartment building where the rent is only 30% of my income (low-income). I haven't worked in over 3 years due to severe back and ankle problems and I'm waiting for my disability to be approved and that's going to take another three months. I went through a stint where my mom had to pay my rent for three months because they had start messing with the little money I was getting...I don't mind ads, I don't like pop-ups, but Sam if that's what you have to do, then do it, because I know I'm not financially able to support the site, and because of that should I be made to feel that I love the site any less than the premium geeks? Some of us have extenuating circumstances beyond our control at the present. I spend most of my time on this site because although I have not completed my training I do love nails, anything to do with nails and want to learn all I can about nails and I spend alot of time on this site due to that fact plus, it takes my mind off of my situations and alot of times it stops me from doing something real stupid.

Again, I hope I have not upset anyone, because it is truly not my intent, but my feelings are rather hurt. As I said before GMG it's your decision, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon (and I'll be forwarding adoption papers to you, so you and Mrs. Geek can adopt me.):D

Hi Sam,

If you are paying through the teeth for your bandwidth per month then you are with the wrong hosting company, I know plenty that do 85gig bandwidth per month for peanuts each year. If you want any details pm me.

Guy

Ms.Matrix said:
Firstly, I love this site and I'm not trying to start a flamewar or offend anybody. I don't know what I would do without this site...and yes the majority of my posts are not about nails but about personal issues that I need to vent to someone somewhere about, and yes, I put them in the appropriate forum.

I think it's unfair for people to say what us geeks can and cannot do with our finances,:irked: I couldn't start school the first time I registered for lack of funds, I live in a beautiful apartment building where the rent is only 30% of my income (low-income). I haven't worked in over 3 years due to severe back and ankle problems and I'm waiting for my disability to be approved and that's going to take another three months. I went through a stint where my mom had to pay my rent for three months because they had start messing with the little money I was getting...I don't mind ads, I don't like pop-ups, but Sam if that's what you have to do, then do it, because I know I'm not financially able to support the site, and because of that should I be made to feel that I love the site any less than the premium geeks? Some of us have extenuating circumstances beyond our control at the present. I spend most of my time on this site because although I have not completed my training I do love nails, anything to do with nails and want to learn all I can about nails and I spend alot of time on this site due to that fact plus, it takes my mind off of my situations and alot of times it stops me from doing something real stupid.

Again, I hope I have not upset anyone, because it is truly not my intent, but my feelings are rather hurt. As I said before GMG it's your decision, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon (and I'll be forwarding adoption papers to you, so you and Mrs. Geek can adopt me.):D

Hey babes...please dont feel like this....we all love this site as much as the next person...it has nothing to do with money and who is a premium geek, i think if you can afford it great...if you cant ...no probs.....sound to me like you have enough on your plate...i dont know if i could be as strong as you are in the same circumstances...so a big well done to you.
This site is about people just like you and anyone else who loves nails. No charge is asked for, no fee is insisted...and i admire that...cos alot of people are out just to make money. Keep enjoying the site like i know you do and dont give this a second thought...xxxx

Everybody really appreciates having access to this site and its very popular. So I'm sure nobody is going to complain about a few adverts.

i became a premium geek for the spell checker ! ( as a nother geek told me a bout it ! and thanks for that ... ) but do wot you have to do i think ..... don't bother me as long as this site stays...

After reading Ms Matrix's post... it occurred to me how important this site actually is to many and not always for nails!! We are so supportive of each other and even though Yolanda is in the US of A, how cool is it that she values our opinion! :Love: Yes this site is a life line to many and the GMG is not going to do anything to upset that applecart but ads will help us and they will once again re-inforce that this is not a CND site... people can still become Premees if they want to but it should be a choice!! It is pushing us out of our comfort zone some-what but we'll get used to it... just no pop-up's - I hate those so much! :rolleyes:

God how we Brits hate change!! I go and have a bath, come back and there is some wierdo whirly thing on my screen. My first reaction was like Andy off Little Britain "I doon't like it", but I'm sure I'll soon be getting caught up by the power of advertising and using his other catch phrase "I want that one".

What an interesting time that this thread was bumped ;)

I have been spending most of my free time devising the new ad system. Personally - I think its looking pretty sweet. Then again - I suspect most ads will be traditional banner ads. Slightly smaller and little to no Flash.

The gates are now open and I suspect within the next couple of weeks we will being to see a few appear.
I have also sorted out a new server that will give me some room to grow and save on the ridiculous bandwidth excess I am currently being charged.

Techy- the biggest problem is that I require a dedicated server with a minimum of 80gig bandwidth. It also has to be pretty high spec for the traffic this site now generates. The Premiums have offset the costs - but a couple ads should take me out of the red.

Hope everyone learns to love :)

Sassy Hassy said:
God how we Brits hate change!! I go and have a bath, come back and there is some wierdo whirly thing on my screen. My first reaction was like Andy off Little Britain "I doon't like it",
Ha! ha! ha! Sassy... you kill me!
I went for a bit of retail therapy and came back to the flasher!
My reaction was more like Victor Meldrew's... ' I dooont beeelieve it... hes gone and got those stoopid ads on'
But needs must as they say and it wont stop me from Geeking... well soo long as I dont watch the swirly one too much, bit hypnotising! :zzz:

The Nail Geek said:
The Premiums have offset the costs - but a couple ads should take me out of the red.
Hope so Sam! :hug:

Just hope I dont find myself slipping into the red with too many tempting ads!!! :wink2:

Glorsclaws said:
soo long as I dont watch the swirly one too much, bit hypnotising! :zzz:

I was just thinking this!

I thought that one was ace. Originally had...

You want to place an ad...
you want to place an ad...
Hell, you dont even have anything to advertise...
you just want to place an ad...

Just thought it was too much last minute and changed it :)

I just want to thank you guys for taking what I said in the right way, I love you all sooo much. Special thanks to Nailstyle and Mrs. Geek for really understanding as always :Love: I just came back from my lunch (see shoutbox):lol: and saw the banner.....waaaaaaaaay cool, I say, I shall be clicking to show my support...er...how many clicks do you need per day?? 5 or 5,000 I got it!! No Worries!!

P.S. Mr. & Mrs. Geek I sent the adoption papers in the mail, just sign in the appropriate places and send back!! :) I'll be on the next thing smoking to the UK!! :rolleyes: :)

The Nail Geek said:
What an interesting time that this thread was bumped ;)

I have been spending most of my free time devising the new ad system. Personally - I think its looking pretty sweet. Then again - I suspect most ads will be traditional banner ads. Slightly smaller and little to no Flash.

The gates are now open and I suspect within the next couple of weeks we will being to see a few appear.
I have also sorted out a new server that will give me some room to grow and save on the ridiculous bandwidth excess I am currently being charged.

Techy- the biggest problem is that I require a dedicated server with a minimum of 80gig bandwidth. It also has to be pretty high spec for the traffic this site now generates. The Premiums have offset the costs - but a couple ads should take me out of the red.

Hope everyone learns to love :)

Hi Sam, wouldn't have thought you would need a dedicated server as you don't use it as a games server so the ping rates of people aint important there are various companies out there that will and can host this site for very little as I was saying I know of a hosting company that will give you 75 gig bandwidth per month for very little.

If you let me know your exact requirements I may be able to help more.

Ive been on a dedicated server for over a year now. I had to move from a shared server as the processing and memory requirements became too great for a shared option.

Ah - those were the days :)

The Nail Geek said:
Ive been on a dedicated server for over a year now. I had to move from a shared server as the processing and memory requirements became too great for a shared option.

Ah - those were the days :)

Don't seem right to me which company do u use???

I don't mind really - don't click on them if I don't need to or want to so it is cool:green:

Although banner adds take up space on a page... I've learned to 'tune them out' on other sites, so banner ads wouldnt bother me.

BUT pop-up's?
Ummm probably wouldn't be around as often.. THEY make me CRAZY.
Now, some sites will run if you have a pop-up blocker and then they dont bother you. BUT other sites force you to enable pop-ups. Those, I don't visit anymore.

And yes more of us should become premium geeks. I fully agree there. However, I for one am not in the position right now. I can already hear my hubby screeching at me for paying to be a premium member, I mentioned it to him last night :irked: he's a party pooper. It will have to wait until I have more of my own 'disposable' income so to speak.

I'm guessing many newbies are in my own position, struggling to make ends meet, get business started, trying to build a clientel; so all the pennies are accounted for, and I think its newbies that benefit the most from sites such as this that help us see where we go wrong or whatever.
IF we had to pay for any kind of assistance, likely, we'd go without and keep bumbling in the dark. I mean, if I could afford it, I'd be taking a 700$ cdn acrylics course right now. So, that's why I can't be a preemie... :cry:

Know what I mean?

I guess what I'm trying to say is this:
Yes, put banner ads if you must. Why should you be out of pocket for helping us? That's just crazy.
OR another option, solicit more companies to advertise here and charge them a hefty chunk of change. :green:

Good luck whichever way you go and thanks again for this great site.:!:

what ever you do would be fine by me.....I love this site and am currently working at becomming a premium geek.....give me a month or so......anyways....as far as the adds....they don't bother me I only pay attention to what I want.....if they happen to catch my attention then I will click on it.....

Latest posts

Back