How would you feel about adverts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about banner ads?

• I feel great. You can never have too many on a site!

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Well, if its the only way to keep things free, I guess I am OK with it

Votes: 168 62.0%
  • Aw man, you cant be serious! That really sucks. But if you have to - you have to

Votes: 57 21.0%
  • Viva la geek! Shut the damn site down rather than put banner ads!

Votes: 13 4.8%

• Total voters
I agree, i didnt even know what premium geek was until i read a thread about it. As soon as i found out i paid the dosh and didnt mind a bit. I too would rarther drop one of my magazines in favour of this site. I paid 25 quid for 1 year, peanuts really, ok the kids didnt eat for a week, but hey there is grass in the garden. he he .....come on guys go premium (you get spell check)......

xxx

Karren said:
Also id like to highlight how much we spend on our subscriptions to Scratch and Professional Nails - I personally subscribe to both and whilst i love them if i had to drop one of the magazines in favour of subscribing to this site i wouldnt hesitate i just get so much more out of this 24/7 its live and there is ALWAYS someone to help besides all the other benefits of this site raised previously in this thread

I do hope im coming across as passionate rather than any other way when responding !:eek:

kx

Good point Karren!

If banners are the way to go to help with the costs so be it.
I agree with the rest of the gang on every thing they say and feel Ruth has summed it up nicely about the number of members on site to the number of premium geeks!
I would be totally lost with out this site, even tho I don't post alot, but the help & support is second to none.

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Firstly the funding for this site comes out of Sams own pocket...and giga space and web presence for this fab site doesn't come cheap.......
We have the best global web facilities on this site by far this includes the chat room, the gallery and not to mention the help each one of us gets from this site. All this is for free..... but nothing is ever free and at the moment Sam is the one digging deep into his own pocket.........
We have a cool 4,079 members on our list, but only just over 100 premium geeks........Why arn't there more ???? We have 3 different subscribtion options.... the 5 week one, the cheapest is £4.00, less than a few cans of brew ,a packet of cigaretts or a half decend bottle of vino callapso....or the fee for petrol or bus ride to visit a fellow Nail Technician friend, and you don't even have to leave your home lol, your friends are there online ready to chat or give advise.......thats a £1 a week for the best there is and you don't get a hang over of suffer from smoking related desease,unless you are like me and drink and type at the same time....:p . Well a girl has to have some vices...:wink2: .... this site is definetly beneficial to our skill health and more important to our clients health..........It is an important education tool for all of us new or old and seasoned Technicians....

So I can only imagine how much all this costs to give us this valued Nail Technology service..........
Banners and pop up's would not stop me from using this valued education and community support.... I have pop up controls and banners well love em or hate them, if funding help is comming from this then so be it.........But on the other hand if we had more Premmy geeks then this should lighten the load quiet a bit and Sam might not have to look for other funding options..........
But either way I am here to stay lol.......... You don't get rid of me that easy lol.................

Awww sam! I think adverts is pants!!!

Im sorry but, I think it will just cheapen this very slick looking and professional forum.
Having said that, growth rate as it is... no-one can expect you to keep footing such an extortionate bill. I certainly didnt.

I love the jokes and idle chat as much as the rest... I certainly contribute enough waffle myself. :wink2:
However more recently the forum has begun to feel a little more lighweight in the nails dept. and heavier on the gossip.
Chat section is relatively new and though I know you thought it was needed to prevent waffle in the Main section, we still seem to get that as well as, Sorry guys, just my humble opinion.

Perhaps Karren's idea of the subscription is one worth considering. Give folks a couple of months to decide if they want to stay an active member, then let peeps ease your load by contributing.

Also on the Garden site I use, they have an auction forum to help with costs.
Peeps offer stuff with the proceeds going to the site... bit like Geekbay but, the site gets the money! Perhaps a naff idea but, Im clutching at straws here!

At the end of the day though, all my waffle aside, I think the general consensus seems to be... Sam, you do what ya gotta do .. we'll still all be here! :cool:

Just done my little bit and have become a Premium Geek:)

Ok its only a mini one due to funds :sad: but will go the whole hog soon, promise.

Em x

Yeah, ads do suck big time, but I know you wouldn't do it unless you had to, so....go for it Sam.
Picking up the other point, I sure as hell wouldn't mind paying a subscription. I'm a premium geek and the main reason was to help with the costs. I have met some fabulous people on here and the advice and support is invaluable. Do what you've got to do. We are all committed to this site and what it stands for. We are always saying how we are a big family. Well, families stick together and do whatever they can to help, so that's what we'll do! Like Ruth said, she's here to stay no matter what, and so am I!
K x

Hi everyone,

Sorry if I have upset you I certainly didn't mean to.

I was just getting a bit passionate since I feel you have to wade through some of the posts to get to the nail related stuff, which is getting a little buried.

It is not the posts that you all enjoy that I was taking about it is more the stuff where people post just to say "yes I agree" or "how are everyone", maybe now that the shoutbox had gone that may be the problem.

I think it is great that more of you are becoming Premium Geeks. (For it does only cost £2.08 per month if you pay for a year at a time, costs more than that to phone your friends)

Sorry again if I have upset anyone,

Sarah

hmmm. Maybe limit non premiums to view only 5 pages per day (that would include multi page threads)

After 5 pages - It locks them out. I will mull this about. The only thing I dont want is to kill the community. Not everyone has the £25 per year to invest and many may not see the value until they have been around awhile.

I too dont want to have ads - but it may be the only solution.

I have just subscribed to become a Premium Geek, so hope my effort helps.

I think the 5 page limit for non-premiums is a good idea - that way they get to see what a great site it is before committing to pay.

I have to say, I didn't realise how cheap it was to be a premium geek until I became one yesterday - come on guys, its pennies! 5 weeks £4 - just think what you spent on training, and how much extra info you can get on here...

I know I've learned loads since becoming a geek! :lol:

The Nail Geek said:
hmmm. Maybe limit non premiums to view only 5 pages per day (that would include multi page threads)

After 5 pages - It locks them out. I will mull this about. The only thing I dont want is to kill the community. Not everyone has the £25 per year to invest and many may not see the value until they have been around awhile.

I too dont want to have ads - but it may be the only solution.

5 pages a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:
I have renewed my subscription 5 minutes ago;)

dont bother me about ads , nothing could stop me loving this site :p , everybody has em anyway,

I have just had a quick look at how many geeks are premium members and it made shocking looking :cry:
Only about 109 members are paying anything towards the site and I think the site as about 3,000 members. :irked:

Over 4,000 ;)

However - that is not the end all be all. Not everyone has the resources to contribute. That should not leave them out of it!

My latest train of thought is... (even though I said no)... popups! Yup. Every few random pages. They will be able to be turned off for premiums... but not for regular users. Dont stress. they arent the kind you are used to and they will all be nail related... but I think limiting how much you can see the site is a sucky idea just because you cant pay to subscribe... instead you can pay via popup. At least you can still use the thing! ;)

Over 4,000
Wow

Samuel I understand that it is choice to become a premmie, But at the moment I am one of the tech's who is skint, But I still manage to keep up my premium subscription. I mean your rates aren't going to break anyones bank account lol and maybe more on board will help :cool:

I really appreciate that, however I remember what it was like starting out in this industry and how tough it was on some days to come up with the extras to get the product you needed to do nails let alone money to pay to learn more about nails. It would defeat the objective and purpose of the site.

Like I said - if you can pay then cool. If not, it is looking like I will see if I can score some advertisers to do it for you :)

The Nail Geek said:
I really appreciate that, however I remember what it was like starting out in this industry and how tough it was on some days to come up with the extras to get the product you needed to do nails let alone money to pay to learn more about nails. It would defeat the objective and purpose of the site.

Like I said - if you can pay then cool. If not, it is looking like I will see if I can score some advertisers to do it for you :)

Hiya GMG,

I think what you have said really makes sense, i know i look like i am all the time, but in reality i am not..................i have a family and a business to run let alone working away alot so i dont get the chance to go on for weeks on end.............i think that restricting non prems to 5 pages will in affect turn people away and i dont think people should slate for not being prems either, you shouldnt feel pressured into it. We all gain alot from this site and we/me do try to help geeks as much as possible (which is time away from my business)

Amanda:hug:

Well i didn't realise it cost so little to be a prem, will sign up pronto!!!!

I think the pop-ups idea has its advantages and disadvantages, it wouldn't bother me as I will sign up to be a prem, however, alot of new users don't know about becoming a premium geek and I didn't know until I'd been around for a few months. Pop-ups would turn me away, so you might lose alot of new users, if they don't have a pop-up killer and don't know that they can rid them by becoming a prem.......just a thought!

lell said:
I mean your rates aren't going to break anyones bank account lol and maybe more on board will help :cool:

Im embarassed to say that ANY rate would break my bank at the moment - I can't even get cash out as my balance is £2.81 and i've had to borrow money from my inlaws to last till payday at the end of the month. Not had a nail client for AGES - Can't get an overdraft because I've had bad credit problems in the past.....So no, I really can't afford it at the mo!!

I LOVE this site, and yes it has helped me ALOT - and I WILL be renewing my subscription... but in answer again to the original question - I think banner ads/pop ups are a very small price to pay for a great site... also - you never know - you may find a gem of a deal in one of them!

Well I did it, I am now a premium geek!! My way of giving back to a site that has given me loads! I would've paid more, the amount of help you get off this site is invaluable!

Latest posts

Back