I am mad, mad, mad but glad

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

totalbeauty

Reaction score
I have just found out that one of my therapists has set up her own webiste offering treatments from home and mobile, whilst being on 'the sick'. She has worked one day since she came back from maternity leave in January, after nine months off, created holy hell over christmas about her hours and days, whilst I was just getting over the shock of being diagnosed with advanced breast cancer that has spread to my bones. I tried to organise three disciplinery meetings which she refused to attend, after she had so much time off to look after her daughter, (four weeks in total), bearing in mind she only worked the one day, and then took two weeks off without permission or reason, and then became 'depressed' and has been signed of since the middle of January.

I think I now have a good enough reason to sack her, as she has plastered her website details all over her facebook page. Not forgetting that she is actually claiming SSP, luckily not from me as she had not worked for the minimum period prior to going on leave. I am really angry that she has treated me so badly, especially after trying to cope with my own illness. What really got me was she has used the exact text from my website to promote her own business, and in particular saying that massage was a good way to help with 'depression', maybe she gave herself some massage then? Now before I get anybody's back up about depression, I very much understand everything about depression as I have suffered on and off most of my adult life with it, but she is clearly taking the piss!

Great, feel much better now have got that lot off my chest, would be grateful for your reaction to this, I am going to take this to my solicitor tomorrow for her advice, which incidently has cost me over £1000 to deal with this up to now. I wonder if I can claim compensation for the hell she has put me through.

Be careful when taking on any member of staff, you could end up with more than you bargained for!

Hi I'm sorry to hear about your illness and I think it was very inconsiderate and deceiving of your employee to do this.

However did you implement an employment contract in which stipulates terms and conditions regarding self-employment and 'stealing' clients? It would be breach of contract if you stated this clause, otherwise there is no law against working elsewhere or promoting her services to your existing clientele.

On the otherhand if she's claiming SSP and working this would be benefit fraud. Being self-employed without registering is another legal matter.

hope that's helpful and wish you all the best with your health! x x

We all come across toxic staff. This one sounds like a nasty little cow.

Get rid, chin up, and remember that they can do their worst, it is still your salon. x

They get their comeuppance, karma will see to it.

It is important in all areas of business to behave with honour and integrity. When people don't, as in this girl, they generally don't do well. Our clients are often nice people who don't approve of screwing an ex boss.

Just a comment on the website text copying. I had this happen to me recently. Thankfully the "pincher" removed all the copied text once I'd complained to her website builder (got the details from the bottom of her website).

Afterwards I was told that if she had refused to remove all the text, I could've sued her for stealing my "intellectual rights". I hadn't formally registered the text for copyright, but could have easily proved that I had written the text and with dates etc.

Good luck

xx

The letter is on its way to her now, asking for her to come in for final disciplinary hearing on Wednesday. I dont think she will turn up, but have put the frighteners on her about working illegally whilst claiming ssp and working in her own business. Shr will be dismissed on the grounds on gross misconduct and breeching copyright if I want to persue this.

At least when this is all over I will be able to sleep again and put it behind me, and also not to make the same mistake again.

Thanks to everyone who gave me their support, made me feel much better, and not cracking under the pressure!

So sorry to hear about your illness.

You just don't need that member of staff and yes depression is a real illness but she is obviously pulling a fast one as she can't work for you but can work mobile. I hope you get all the legal help you need.

I am really sorry to see that you have been unwell with cancer on top of managing your salon and the problems entailed there.

I agree with Persianista, maintain your dacorum and keep your cool. Best wishes x

The worst thing about having a salon business is STAFF. You really begin to doubt that you have any ability to 'read' people at all when these things happen (trust me I know .. been through staff trying to shaft me several times).

I once had one member of staff arrested for stealing and it became a crown court case!! But you know what??? I always ended up on top ... Karma indeed. I'm even watching it 'play out' right now as I write this with another old issue. :D Loosers!!
Sadly today very few people have any empathy with 'the boss'. :hug: However I do and I am very sorry to hear about your cancer and for what it is worth you seem to me to be coping very very well. Best of luck.

I am so grateful for all your support, it means so much to me, being in business is a lonely job, this website has given me so much strength and help and has been by far the best thing I have come across since opening my first salon ten years. I have learned one very important lesson, never to take anyone at faced value and always, always check up on references, if they have been a problem in a previous position or have moved about in different jobs alot, I don't think its a good sign.

Anyway, will let you all you all know what the final outcome of this is soon!

I am so grateful for all your support, it means so much to me, being in business is a lonely job, this website has given me so much strength and help and has been by far the best thing I have come across since opening my first salon ten years. I have learned one very important lesson, never to take anyone at faced value and always, always check up on references, if they have been a problem in a previous position or have moved about in different jobs alot, I don't think its a good sign.

Anyway, will let you all you all know what the final outcome of this is soon!

Please do ... my guess is that you are the winner in the end.

Can't give you advice but for what it's worth I think you are dealing with brilliantly in very difficult circumstances xxxxx

I hope your health improves soon xxxxx

Just to give you all an update, after a few more invitations to come to a disciplinary hearing, which she declined to attend, she has been sent a letter for dismissal. She has been offered a chance of appealing against my decision and has seven days to do so, this time is nearly up, so I am hoping this is the end to a very stressful situation and one I dont intend to repeat in a hurry. Will post again if there are any further developments, but just to thank you all again for your support! X:hug:

Just to give you all an update, after a few more invitations to come to a disciplinary hearing, which she declined to attend, she has been sent a letter for dismissal. She has been offered a chance of appealing against my decision and has seven days to do so, this time is nearly up, so I am hoping this is the end to a very stressful situation and one I dont intend to repeat in a hurry. Will post again if there are any further developments, but just to thank you all again for your support! X:hug:

Lets hope she just drifts away quietly so you can get on. How are you?? Hope you are doing well health wise and the less stress the better it will be for you.:hug:

Thanks for updating us xxxx

Delighted for you and I hope your health is improving xxxxx

Health not doing too good at the moment, going to have some radiotherapy next week to help with pain management in the bone metastasis. Unfortunately, my last CT scan showed up more hot spots on my hips, lower spine and shoulder, I wish this cancer would just bugger off and let me live my live and stop sticking its nose in my business! Blasted disease, anyway got lots to do, going to expand into another unit for my nail bars and pedicure chair, maybe even have a few toning tables! That will keep my busy and active for a while, until the next project! Thanks for all your kind words and lots of support, great to know you're all there cheering me on. Love to you all XXXXXX

Last edited:
thinking of you and keeping you close in my thoughts xxxxx

good luck with your new venture too xxxxxx:hug:

Just wanted to say you really are inspiring x :hug: hope you get some good news about your treatment x

Latest posts

Back