I hate reading ads like this...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artsy Canadian

Reaction score
So there is a rep for En Vogue who is teaching gel nails on the side and the trend I notice is that she is teaching all her students the same mantra...this I pulled from a local online add...

Benefits of gel nails:

-gel nails are NON TOXIC
-gel nails are safe during pregnancy
-absolutely non-yellowing
-have no harsh chemical smells
-uv light kills all bacteria, so gel nails will not destroy your nail beds
-the enVogue nail system is stronger than all other nail systems.

:rolleyes: so frustrating to read....but had to share with you all.

So there is a rep for En Vogue who is teaching gel nails on the side and the trend I notice is that she is teaching all her students the same mantra...this I pulled from a local online add...

Benefits of gel nails:

-gel nails are NON TOXIC

How can someone make a statement like this? :eek:

:rolleyes: I hear what you're saying.. and it annoys me greatly.

Misleading marketing is one reason I left another brand and changed to EZ Flow.

Said brand has this statement on their site
"A natural alternative to acrylic nails":rolleyes:
This is only one of their ridiculous statements that they make to solicit business.

They also use scare tactics on their home page, spouting off ingredients found in 'other brands' that are known carcinogens (aka cancer causing):rolleyes:

When I was less informed, I bought into the 'hype'. Then I learned more and felt 'suckered in".:irked:

I recently opened a magazine and saw an article about them and wanted to bang my head against a wall for all the nonsense that was spouted...
Claiming to have a strong client base in Canada when such is not the case (unless you count purchases of the product via Ebay?:rolleyes:)

Inferior companies will continue to rely upon misleading marketing ploys and scare tactics to drum up business, it's all they have to use. The companies that choose to honestly educate their techs and their clients and provide a product that speaks for itself are the ones that will be here for the long haul.

PS: And if selling uv gel to untrained, average consumers is ENCOURAGED, then this is NOT the product I want to use (as done by the product I used formerly) and makes it as no better than anything found in the pharmacy and is most decidedly UNPROFESSIONAL in terms of "professional products".

Benefits of gel nails:

-gel nails are NON TOXIC

Im sure local tradng standards would make them tone down there claims, especially the last one. One has to be able to back up claims like that, the others are just playing on fears but not that carefully written.

Shame that customers and new nail techs may actually believe this, makes life harder for everyone.

god knows how i will cope in canada when i move over , coz i hate doing gels !!!
i am gonna have a real fight on my hands to get clients to have l&p !!! :confused:

i might start printing a book on all the BS that surrounds nails , lol

"1001 myths about nails " heading to a salon nr you soon , hahaa

Are you sure this person is a real rep or just some one poseing as a rep as I have never seen anything like the 2,5 &6 quote on there web site. Do you know who this person is and where she has posted this info?

Are you a rep, looking back at your previous posts, in ever single one of them you recommend people try en vogue and in your profile page you say you believe 'its the best'.

Dont get me wrong, you are entitled to your opinion, we are all passionate about the products we use.

BUT... these claims are entirely false and they should not be making those claims. Facts are facts period, and those are not facts!

How are we ever going to regulate the industry if there are companies out there spouting such trash!

Hey there VHUNTER :) you dont have to answer this but can i ask who the "other company" is? I have a strange feeling it may be who i trained with lol i can relate to what you are saying

"Forze" Forze

And it was only one of the reasons I stopped doing business with them.

Now it's even worse. They encourage techs to teach their clients and to retail products to them :rolleyes:

You are so right - just so you know - the competition board of Canada has them on their list of businesses to look at for false advertising. It may take a while for the board to get to them, as they take on the bigger fish first, but there has been a complaint filed as it is illegal for them to advertise this way.

Benefits of gel nails:

-gel nails are NON TOXIC

Nope I'm not a rep I have tried and used many products over the years and I Just really like there products.
I think when they say there products are non Toxic it means there is no odors and no mma and other things that you breath in as a nail tech that is harm ful after many years of use.
No odours doesn't mean there aren't any vapours, however, with correct ventilation all professional monomers and gels are safe, it's when they're not used safely that problems occur.

They say nothing on theeir site about being safe for pregnant women and nothing about the UV light killing bacteria.
Artsy actually said that she pulled that info from a local online advert for the rep/educator who is representing the company, whether it be officially or not, she's still using their name.

So I think the person who origionally posted that info was indeed posting false info and I don't think it is fair to say the company says false things when they do not. If you want to get into things like that I have hear a few other companies say there products are organic and some even made of sugars and that you could eat them. I would personally like to see that cause I know I'v stuck the end of my brush in my mouth and it does not taste good.
How can it be false info if that's what she's been told by the rep/educator?

I was just about to quote you asking me if I was a chemist, but I see it's been deleted. No, I am not a chemist, but I have read Doug Schoons book and I would urge you to do the same. Its invaluable.

I have had a good look at the website and I'm even more annoyed now. It's the implication that all others systems ARE harmful etc etc, or at least thats how it reads to me.

Its not just the claims they make, they also give online training, so any tom, **** or harry can 'have a go', and....they details the cost of a set for the technician for any tom, **** or harry to see!

It bothers me because when people start using terms like 'non-toxic' and 'safe', it implies that the products in the industry generally are dangerous, doesn't it? Isn't that how a client would read it? Where do you think our clients get all there misconceptions from?

They get them from Nail Technicians who have only ever trained with one company, have no idea about the science behind their product and are brainwashed into thinking that the product they used is the 'safest' out there. I know a couple of Biosculpture techs who think exactly the same. That their product is better because it organic! I.e safer, utter rubbish. Clever marketing tools maybe, but in my mind it makes a mockery of the industry.

I did forget however that you do need to be licensed where you are, however that doesn't mean everyone is. There are people all over the world buying products off the internet or similar sources and using them without any training. Tutorials are great, I've used them many times, but is describing to someone how to use a product enough, what about all the other stuff, health and hygiene, contra-indications etc etc.

I've been a nail technician for 6 years, and every time someone new asks me what I do, they always say 'OMG that stuff is so bad for your nails'. Those of us that care, fight a battle every day, trying to educate our clients that what we do is 'SAFE'!

Oh yes .. I think it would be fair to say that Doug Schoon the most acknowledged nail industry chemist in the world has "some good info" to pass along! :rolleyes:

I find it annoying when people who are supposed to be knowledgeable don't even know the correct definition of industry terminology and don't even know the difference between vapours and 'fumes'!! They choose to use the word fumes (which is incorrect) because that sounds more noxious and harmful than vapours (which is the correct term).

These companies prey on people's 'chemo phobia' to try to sell their products based on fear instead of what that product really has to offer which is different to others (which is in fact nothing which is why they have to resort to underhand tactics).

CND have led the world in teaching correct industry terminology and is still doing so (check Doug Schoon's latest on facebook).
Why do others have to scare people and to lie or twist the truth to gain their final aim???

Thing is .. knowledge is POWER and if you have it .. no one can pull the wool over your eyes. Do you want it?? It's there for you if you do. It is what this site is all about now and always has been. So if you take offense when someone corrects you ... why not instead learn from it and gain the power yourself.

Latest posts

Back