I surrender, i'm giving up.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacqui

Reaction score
I've had enough,
I don't know if salon's think i'm too old, not enough experience or if there not impressed with my speed.

I tried mobile, which didn't work for me.
Then I rented a room in a hairdressers and I could hardly cover the rent near the end.
Since I left I have wrote to loads of salons and got replies, I posted hundreds of leaflets, advertised on freeads, gumtree etc. and I started my website and offered mobile services again but to no avail.
So, instead of beating myself up about it all the time, i'm going to delete my website and adverts and give up.

The only nails I will be doing from now on are my own, family members and close friends.

I will still be coming on the site because this is one thing i couldn't give up at the minute, it keeps me sane.

Oh Jacqui, I'm sorry to hear you feeling like this, especially after you've tried so hard.

Have you considered a home salon?

I admire you as I'm sure that there are many techs who feel just the same as you do. Well you can't say that you didn't give it a good try.

Lots of luck for whatever you choose to do in the future. xxxx

Oh Jacqui, I'm sorry to hear you feeling like this, especially after you've tried so hard.

Have you considered a home salon?

I did at one time I was going to use the spare room but with hubby's back problems and the amount of time he had off work, we just can't afford to set it up and i'm not getting any younger.

I think I'm just sick of all the knock backs, i'll just carry on with my shop job at least it's regular money coming in.

Hey, keep your chin up. On looking at your profile you only started last July, that's less than a year ago. Things were quiet for me the first 12 months renting a room and things are only just beginning to pick up.

If you do give up though, I wish you every future success in whatever you do.

I admire you as I'm sure that there are many techs who feel just the same as you do. Well you can't say that you didn't give it a good try.

Lots of luck for whatever you choose to do in the future. xxxx

Thanks Brow Queen,

I think i have lost a lot of confidence in my nails over the past few month's, probably because I've had no client's.

Hey, keep your chin up. On looking at your profile you only started last July, that's less than a year ago. Things were quiet for me the first 12 months renting a room and things are only just beginning to pick up.

If you do give up though, I wish you every future success in whatever you do.

I put July last year because that's when I trained with Creative, I originally trained with EN in 2004 and I've been trying to work hard since to get a job in a salon.

Why not keep the adverts if you're not having to pay for them and see what happens?

I know you said you think that the salons might think that you're too old, but sometimes age is an advantage,most of my clients (I target women with disposable income who enjoy a salon/relaxing experience who don't want a quick in and out) prefer an older tech like me lol, they don't have a lot in common with the younger ones and the chat can be a bit stale.....no offence meant to the younger ones on here, but life expereinces etc do make a difference when 'chatting'.

What ever you do I hope it works out for you :hug:

I've had enough,

I tried mobile, which didn't work for me.
What was it that you found that you didn't like about mobile? I know it's not for everyone but just interested.

It's such a shame that you feel like this, I'm sure there are many geeks on here who have felt the same as you at one time or another. Me included.

:hug:

It's such a shame that you feel like this, I'm sure there are many geeks on here who have felt the same as you at one time or another. Me included.

And me, not so long ago!

I would have thought your age was an advantage, We have been advertising for a therapist and nail tech but stated mature (30+) so dont feel you are too old and past it (god help me im only 2 years off you)lol

Whatever you decide to do i wish you all the best :hug:

Why not keep the adverts if you're not having to pay for them and see what happens?

I know you said you think that the salons might think that you're too old, but sometimes age is an advantage,most of my clients (I target women with disposable income who enjoy a salon/relaxing experience who don't want a quick in and out) prefer an older tech like me lol, they don't have a lot in common with the younger ones and the chat can be a bit stale.....no offence meant to the younger ones on here, but life expereinces etc do make a difference when 'chatting'.

What ever you do I hope it works out for you :hug:

Thanks Cathie,
The ads are all free.
The clients I used to have at the salon were mainly manicure's and when i told them I was leaving but I could do a home visit none of them were interested bar 1, i visit her every saturday after work for her weekly manicure, she used to be a nail biter and now has lovely long strong nails, I don't see her as a client anmore she is my friend, she is a pensioner but still going strong and proud of her nails now.

I would have thought your age was an advantage, We have been advertising for a therapist and nail tech but stated mature (30+) so dont feel you are too old and past it (god help me im only 2 years off you)lol

Whatever you decide to do i wish you all the best :hug:

I wish I lived in West Yorkshire, I would have jumped at the chance.

What was it that you found that you didn't like about mobile? I know it's not for everyone but just interested.

Nothing really I just couldn't get the clients.
A lot of people around here already have a nail technician as there are so many of us.

jaqui hunn, please dont give up yet, all you are lacking is CONFIDENCE, if it will make any difference at all, ill gladly help you out, and you KNOW i will. just give me a buzz and we sort something out hunny.

jaqui hunn, please dont give up yet, all you are lacking is CONFIDENCE, if it will make any difference at all, ill gladly help you out, and you KNOW i will. just give me a buzz and we sort something out hunny.

Thanks, I know you would G,

You have so much going on yourself and your still thinking about others, Bless you.

Nothing really I just couldn't get the clients.
A lot of people around here already have a nail technician as there are so many of us.
Oh I can totally understand where you're coming from. It takes an awful long time to build up a client base, took me ages at first, and if you do have a lot of competition in your area, it makes it all the more difficult.

But please don't give up. I'm sure you will find an avenue to go down, that's right for you. Sometimes it does take a while. I really don't believe that your age will have any reflection on your capabilities as a nail tech, so try to forget about that bit.:)

Wishing you luck, just keep at it. Don't let what you already know go to waste, eh?

Wishing you luck, just keep at it. Don't let what you already know go to waste, eh?

Thanks Tiger Jay,

I will still keep practising and i will be doing my own, my daughters and my niece's so it's not totally giving up, just not offering to clients anymore.

Hi I'm new to the site and unsure how every thing works

Latest posts

Back