I surrender, i'm giving up.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go and learn something else.It neednt cost a fortune.Massage is an excellent example. IF, and i meant to put it in capitals,you can do it well. You will have repeat clients,do it half heartedly and you won't.
If where you are inundated with nail bars then you need to do something extra.
When i think about it, not one of my nail clients are just nail clients most are actually from waxing,something else to learn ,especially male waxing if you feel you can do it .I get a lot of calls from yell.com for male waxing but i dont do it.
If you want to be successful you just plough on through the good and bad you dont give up at the first few hurdles.

Go and learn something else.It neednt cost a fortune.
I would learn something new, i was going to do waxing but when you have only one regular wage coming in even a small fee is a lot.
If you want to be successful you just plough on through the good and bad you dont give up at the first few hurdles.
I know you mean well but i'm not just giving up willy nilly I have had a really hard time lately, these are not the first hurdles i've had to get passed. We nearly went bankrupt at the begining of the year, with my hubby's back problem and the amount of time he has off work, I have to have a regular wage coming in.
I would love to carry on, it's my dream. The circunstances and knock backs are just too much at the minute.

Who knows I might be able to start again later on in the year or even next year.

Hi hun

Don't despair too much, one door shuts another one opens. I've not done any nails or beauty now for 1.5 years nearly, do it occasionally for friends or family but I'm glad I don't have the hassle now. I keep up-to-date with whats going on by coming onto this site.

However, there's always another time if you fancy it later. Sometimes it does you good to have a break.

Regards
Deb379

Dang!! I been training other stylist in my salon to take over my nail clients and future clients and they just don't want to do it.

Wanna move to america?

Hi Jaquai

I'm sorry you feel like this, i'm not far from you and I'm just opening a home salon If there's anything I can do to help just let me know

It's difficult to get jobs in salons but I don't think it's your age at all!!!
I think just keep plodding along with your mobile get loads of leaflets printed and just keep flooding your area

it will come together but it takes time

I was mobile when I lived in Essex and the area was full of salons and nail technicians it took ages just to get abit of pocket money!!
Don't take it personally tho
the time span to work on is two years to get on your feet. people will come to you and once you get them stay with you as clients are loyal and your maturity will put them at ease.

As I said just pm me if you want to have a chat of if there's anything I can do to help as I would hate for you to give up because you have no support when things are tough or your confidence has taken a knock

take care
:hug:

Jacqui,
So sorry to hear you feel this way, but believe me its not an age thing, salons love having mature techs, your less likely to run off and get married/pregnant, don't need time of for kids being ill or school hols and clients tend to assume that as your older you will have more experience, not necessarily true, but thats how they see it, I have just got myself a part time position in a salon at the ripe old age of 47 (well almost).
I think they feel that at my age I will be a sensible and mature addition to their team:twisted:

Jacqui,
but believe me its not an age thing

I so agree it is not an age thing. I'm 43yrs old and only started doing nails just over 2 years ago. You are in the prime of you life. You have obviously had some difficulties of late but please don't give up yet :hug:. if you feel you need a break, then by all means take a break for a while but give yourself some more time before you make a firm decision. xx

Hi, I've been reading this thread with interest; you certainly can rely on us lot for support lol!

I'm so sorry you're feeling it's so hopeless and you're giving up, but sometimes it does do you good to have a break from the pressure of trying to get clients; just keep your hand in, as you say, with friends and relatives, you may find if you run the free ads anyway that your clientele will build naturally, with word of mouth helping enormously of course.

I'm 41 and started learning nails in May 03, I now work from home and run a decent business, working in the school hours and evenings, but I started mobile. I find my age is a definite advantage, older people (and by that I mean 45/50 plus) find they have much more in common with me and are therefore more comfortable having their nails done by someone of my years :lol: rather than a much younger girl. (no offence meant peeps)

When you feel like really having another go at it in earnest, why don't you target the older market? You could learn stuff like paraffin wax manicures, as well as maybe offering one morning a week at large old people's homes and doing file & polish, manis/pedis, etc. Ladies in the 45/50 plus bracket often have a lot more disposable income than younger ones and are prepared to fork out for anti-ageing treatments (you could still keep the focus on hands), maybe even learning microdermabrasion and certainly retailing anti-ageing products to this age group. Just food for thought really, but it is maybe a different market to all the others in your town.

I wish you all the best with whatever you decide to do, if you change career completely then that might be the right thing for you, follow your gut feelings. Or if you just have a change for a while, at least you know you already have so much knowledge about nails to build on, and you can come back to it whenever you feel ready.

Keep your chin up, you must be feeling a bit down so here's a few :hug: :hug: :hug: xx

I am mobile and do quite a few different things - I can honestly say - if I had to rely on purely nails then

1 - I couldnt survive
2 - Me head would be done in!!

When everything is going wrong - take 5 - forget about nails for the time being and have a good think about it. If its not for you then its try something else. If its for you - then keep on practising - I have done this a long time and will always be practising.

Wish I could help more - but I think everyone here has felt like you at some time or another.

even though i sympathise with your situation, perhaps you are doing the right thing ........
Don't expect too much, go back to basics (yourself ,mates , family ...etc), then build yourself up from there with no expectations, you may surprise yourself (word travels fast, but it also travels slow) if you know what i mean...

If your quality is up to par, you will eventually make it.

Many have high expectations in this industry (any many are led to believe they will make it (by people wanting to make money from them by offering education), although the market is being saturated) ..... whoooshka (qualified), then instant success ...... NOT.

Welcome to the real world .... if you feel you are good and your work looks good in comparison to what you see out and about, .... keep at it.

Slow and steady sometimes wins, in all reality it does depend on your "talent" and ability (compared to others), many educators won't tell you this, they will be only too happy to take your money and cut you loose as a so called professional without explaining the pitfalls and competitiveness you will experience.

Above all, be honest with yourself.... if your work looks good and lasts well .... persist, but if you do ****e nails quite while you are ahead rather than investing in an artistic field, when in fact you may/are not be capable of competing.

Judge yourself ..... , be honest with yourself ......don't listen to people that just wanna take your money, when in fact "we all have limitations as to what we can do/achieve"

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.:hug:

Listen to Carl .... !!
Everything he says is exactly right.
Your age is perfect.
But 'part time' nails only ever nets 'part time' results and 'part time' money.
Maybe your expectations are unrealistic for the area in which you live.
But if you are doing good work, then the folks will find you eventually.
So keep your hand in but try to relax about it.
My guess is that it is not the last time you will be doing nails.
Good luck whatever you do and do NOT take it personally.

I feel the same way. It seems as if all my appointments this week have canceled for various reasons, some work related, one in hospital, two tans got stuck due to flood (genuine) etc. etc. I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall at the moment, two steps forward and one back. I just try more advertising and wonder how long I will go on trying to make it work.

Lots of luck Jacqui with whichever path you choose to follow :hug:

Hey

I have been reading this thread with interest.

By the end of the year I am hoping to employ another therapist/manicurist. When I mention this to my clients they ALL panic and say your not getting some young girl are you? (I am only 21 - but it seems I look old one asked me if she had seen picking up my 7 year old from school!!!) They all say they want a mature lady who they can relate too, and feel comfortable with.

Maybe you need to review your CV? there is plenty of help on here.

They do say as soon as you stop its comes flooding back, so hang on in there with doing family etc.

Good luck with wotever you choose,

Becki xxx

I just wanted to wish you luck and send a :hug:.

I can't add anything more to what has already been said.

Teri x:hug:

Dang!! I been training other stylist in my salon to take over my nail clients and future clients and they just don't want to do it.

Wanna move to america?

Would love to:lol:

Hi Jaquai
As I said just pm me if you want to have a chat of if there's anything I can do to help as I would hate for you to give up because you have no support when things are tough or your confidence has taken a knock

take care
:hug:

Thanks, I might take you up on your offer soon.

Jacqui,
I have just got myself a part time position in a salon at the ripe old age of 47 (well almost).
I think they feel that at my age I will be a sensible and mature addition to their team:twisted:

I so agree it is not an age thing. by all means take a break for a while but give yourself some more time before you make a firm decision. xx

I'm so glad the age isn't an issue, there may be hope for me yet:lol:

Latest posts

Back