if you could give any advice to a tech starting out what would it be????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginger

Reaction score
If you could give any advise to a tech starting out what would it be????

When you were just starting out as a newbie nail tech what do you wish you knew that you know now, and what advise would have saved you alot of heartache?

Any ideas and info would be greatly appreciated

xxgingexx

never stop learning.. always listen to advice.. and learn from your mistakes!

(thats my cliche quota for the week done)

practising, practising and more practising this is my advice....:hug:

we're only doing nails - Pepyn Borrèl.

Join www.salongeek.com

Research your training...go by recommendation and reputation.

Don't give up in the first few months....you will make mistakes...you will be disheartened and you will think you cant do it.....Stick with it.

Don't go buying everything that you see....you wont use half of it

Don't be too adventurous to soon...perfect the basics first before trying out multi colour glitter fade 3d flower stilettos.

There is no substitute for continuing education and practice.

Take pictures of your 1st set and keep them forever. Pull them out when you're frustrated and marvel at how far you've come.

S

ALWAYS charge something - even for friends (and don't do too many 'friends') - even when you are learning

Pratice and never give up.xxxxxxxxxxx

OMG, its difficult to keep to one. Although i think for me, the most important thing was confidence in my abilities and not to be so arrogant to think i don't need anymore training. And to always strive for perfection

Join www.salongeek.com

Research your training...go by recommendation and reputation.

Don't give up in the first few months....you will make mistakes...you will be disheartened and you will think you cant do it.....Stick with it.

Don't go buying everything that you see....you wont use half of it

Don't be too adventurous to soon...perfect the basics first before trying out multi colour glitter fade 3d flower stilettos.

Aww... (stamps foot and sulks).. want to try multi colour glitter fade 3d flower stillotos!! :wink2:

Keep your ideas coming, it is going to help me put together my article for scratch mag xx

Learn to take constructive criticism and act on it, continue your training to keep your eye on the ball and keep up with what is new.

Most of all develop your confidence, when I started out I wasn't very confident at all and it rubbed off on my clients as I found they took advantage a bit as I was so unsure of my work. I am not saying now that I am totally confident in what I do but my clients don't know that and they trust me. :)

Don't spend a fortune on newspaper advertising!

you are your best business card

Be patient with yourself, sometimes you can try too hard, take a break then start again with a clear head instead of getting that 'all worked up until you want to jack it all in' feeling.

Always ask for help rather than get yourself feeling down, use this site and the company that trained you for advice most have a customer services/help line.

If you can, visit the tade shows, you can get a new lease of life from them! so exciting and plenty of professional techs at work to watch and learn from. (but dont spend too much lol)

Make a friend who is another tech, you can help each other and keep each other happy and give/receive encouragement. This site is a good place to find one if not more.

My advice to you would be . . . . . . enjoy what you do - the passion shows in the end result - I always wear acrylics and do them myself on myself - this is the best advertisement for me. I have spent a fortune over the years on advertising - if im honest it gor me a bit of business however the best advert is you and word of mouth. good Luck x

always have the coolest nails in town so people will notice them. AND PASS OUT YOUR CARDS! Never say I can't do it! [Say I will do it better next time!] Do one free daisy on everyone's pinky nail to get you started with nail art. Buy a marblelizer tool and get your artistic juices flowin! Take a toll painting class or a Donna Dewberry one stroke class. [you will learn how to use a liner brush] you will see how easy it really is! If there is no class in your area go to donnadewberry.com and get a dvd.

You have to keep your enthusiasm up, don't let yourself get down if you get frustrated. Just get on this site and ask for help!

Get good, reputable training and then practice what you've been taught...... Don't cut corners, and ask for help if you're struggling!

Dont spend too much money on products.....dont listen to much to others

Latest posts

Back