Is it illegal to have non accredited courses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet Star

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I was wondering, Is it illegal for someone to be providing non accredited courses? If so what can i do about this?

xx

No, it's not illegal, but the participants may well find it difficult to get insurance for those treatments.

It is not illegal just very immoral,
if this person is selling their courses as accredited courses or saying someone will gain a qualification then they are treading on dangerous ground,
a student can report them to trading standards, they can do all sorts to the person,
or they could end up in court for fraud without a leg to stand on,
as a student of this person there is a few avenues one could take to get them into trouble,
hth

Do we know whether the courses are being passed off as accredited, though? Years ago I did an aromatherapy course at college (night school). It wasn't accredited with anyone; it was just an introductory course. Indeed my local college offers a six week taster course for several different therapies like Reflexology, aromatherapy, crystal therapy, etc. I think these are a good idea - you get a good feel for whether it's something you want to take on without committing yourself to a year long course.

I was going to attend a well known course for makeup but it wasn't accredited with BABTAC so there was no point as that's who I'm insured with. The woman running the course was seriously miffed that I cancelled because of that, saying that nobody else had had problems getting insurance with "other major insurers".
Was she being immoral? I don't think so; but I do think she was being shortsighted!

No calla she wasn't been immoral if she was open and honest about what her courses gave, certificate wise, which by the sounds of things she was been honest,
i am referring to those who advertise they will give a certificate after a course but don't bother to tell people that the certificate is not recognised by anyone for insurance purposes.

But does it not fall to the student to check? Certainly all the courses I've looked at I've checked with BABTAC first. After all it is the student who has the vested interest in this, no?

Not necessarily,
some students are totally new to the world of training courses and don't know what to look for as we see very often here on the site.

Calla ... you are a smart cookie and have experience but so many of the students are young and don't frankly know how to do these things or even to make the checks they should be making.

It is these ones that people who are trying to pass off or dupe the public 'prey' on, as I'm sure you know.

That is life .. people are always getting conned and they get conned because they don't know any better. The usual scenario of the stronger preying on the weaker.

Let's hope that some may learn from your comments.

Free trade is one thing but what seems to be on the increase is both companies and individuals who are preying on the newbies that are entering the industry who are young and gullible and easily duped into parting with their hard earned spare cash in the hope to be able to generate a living from this sector....only to find that once they have done so they simply don't have the right training of the right piece of kit to undertake the treatments they so wish to do.

Accredited or not is not an issue necessarily but what is is when people are told something completely different to what they "actually " get..be it training ,equipment etc...

Its a bit like ordering a latte and getting a cappachino instead:rolleyes:

Its a bit like ordering a latte and getting a cappachino instead:rolleyes:

Nope, more like ordering a nice latte and ending up with el cheapo instant coffee with out of date milk in it!
Posted via Mobile Device

It isn't illegal for training schools not to accredit their courses. Accreditation is the way insurance companies can know what standard the course is at, so that they can accept the certificate.

As stated above, if the company is claiming to be accredited when they are not, either contact Trading Standards or the company that they are claiming the accreditation is from.

In the instance I recounted, the course was accredited with The Guild but not with BABTAC. I can see how if you were really young and enthusiastic (as opposed to world weary and cynical like me!) you could be taken for a ride. Caveat Emptor should be taught from junior school onwards I think!

In the instance I recounted, the course was accredited with The Guild but not with BABTAC. I can see how if you were really young and enthusiastic (as opposed to world weary and cynical like me!) you could be taken for a ride. Caveat Emptor should be taught from junior school onwards I think!

I agree ...

Too bad they have to find out the hard way.

It is not illegal just very immoral,

I don't think it's immoral at all. How is it immoral if they're honest and up front about it?

There are many amazing trainers out there teaching all manor of treatments and they're not accredited. This doesn't make it immoral. For example, my accredited courses are no different from when they weren't accredited.

Of course, an accredited course will make it easier to get insurance and should mean that the course content etc had been vetted by the awarding body.

Violet Star

You are asking about 'accredited'. Who are you considering to be 'accredited'?

Do you mean accredited for insurance purposes? Then yes, it is illegal to provide nail services to paying clients without insurance.

As for 'accredited', who is to say exactly what is accredited????

What are you asking?

I don't think it's immoral at all. How is it immoral if they're honest and up front about it?

There are many amazing trainers out there teaching all manor of treatments and they're not accredited. This doesn't make it immoral. For example, my accredited courses are no different from when they weren't accredited.

Of course, an accredited course will make it easier to get insurance and should mean that the course content etc had been vetted by the awarding body.

No calla she wasn't been immoral if she was open and honest about what her courses gave, certificate wise, which by the sounds of things she was been honest,
i am referring to those who advertise they will give a certificate after a course but don't bother to tell people that the certificate is not recognised by anyone for insurance purposes.

Kim
This is what i am meaning,
i am not saying that the people who are upfront and honest about what there course offers are immoral,
i am referring to the ones who are misleading with what they are selling and don't bother to explain to the students that they wont be able to gain insurance after training with them.

Last edited:
This is what i am meaning,
i am not saying that the people who are upfront and honest about what there course offers are immoral,
i am referring to the ones who are misleading with what they are selling and don't bother to explain to the students that they wont be able to gain insurance after training with them.

Listen, Calla is a smart cookie and smart cookies don't always realize all the shenanigans that go on because they check up on things.

Maybe Calla is not aware for instance of the number of trainers who claim to represent CND and who in fact have no veracity to that claim and are duping their students who then cannot buy CND products because they have a worthless certificate.

It doesn't matter to many companies, because they don't give a rat's behind what cert you have got or you haven't got .. they'll sell to anybody. They CLAIM that they don't , but they do and it has been proved many times. If my supplier didn't support my professionalism then I wouldn't support my supplier .... Simplezzzz!

Attachments

• meerkat.jpg
    meerkat.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 79
My reply above, was to kim, not calla
i quoted what i had replied to calla to save me typing it out again,
coz im in lazy mode :lol:

i have edited it so it is clearer who i was speaking to

If a person has trained for many years and has maybe even invented the actual course ... if that person has a good enough course , then insurance companys will usually take them on and insure all their trainees as well ...
so insurance shouldn't really be a problem ,
insurance companys arn't silly they will always want to protect their own interests by vetting out the really good experienced trainers,

what about a person who is very experienced wanting to set up his/ her own accreditation company , nothing to stop her / him

I really think its sad to see good trainers talents being blocked by accreditation versus non accreditation

If they are respected and have earned a good name, and are good enough to train others in the industry and have a good training plan
then that is plenty for insurance purposes :)

Violet Star

You are asking about 'accredited'. Who are you considering to be 'accredited'?

Do you mean accredited for insurance purposes? Then yes, it is illegal to provide nail services to paying clients without insurance.

As for 'accredited', who is to say exactly what is accredited????

What are you asking?

This is a very good question - what is 'accredited'? I'm insured with Salon Gold and actually asked them this question because I'd seen a lot of hype about accreditation and it seems like a very grey area. They told me that your certificates had to say 'accredited' by a body or company, not specifically The Guild or BABTAC. The reason I asked this question was while all my courses bar one are accredited by The Guild, there was one that wasn't and that was Spray Tanning but the certificate I have says that is accredited by the company I trained with :eek: (I have since re-trained in spray tanning anyway for lots of reasons with a company accredited with The Guild), also having looked at some of my certificates from companies accredited with The Guild, they don't all say the word 'accredited'.............

So....... does anyone know exactly what classes as accredited

Latest posts

Back