Is it illegal to have non accredited courses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi there ive been reading your threads about accredited training schools and would like to point out my experience.

i booked for a course in aug 08 with a training school that had just been set up in a salon on a night. it was doing acrylic nails. i attended the 5 week course and passed.

i waited for my cert to come and it never did. so i rang the lady in question and she said she posted it. at xmas i recieved a letter saying their was a envelope with not enough postege on at the post office so ii went down and they said they posted it back out as they were to busy. still no cert came. i kept ringing and asking her and she kept saying its been posted out she said she would ring them to obtain another.

after a few more months of unanswered calls etc i managed to catch her on the fri and she said to come and collect it on the mon mmm i thought thats a bit quick. so went to pick it up and what a shock i got a pink peice of card what she obviously had drawn up herself just saying that i had attended a 5 wk nail extension course with **** training.

i knew the course wasnt accredited as such but the certificate of attendance which i understood was still to come from an awarding body. I think she has just printed that off to fob me off as i suspect she would probably have to pay for another.

I rang my insurance company and they said it should be fine to use this as long as i did attend the training. mm im still not convinced so im going to email them a copy and see what they think.

I paid this women £200 for this peice of rubbish so you do have to do your homework on where to train. but im not letting this drop and want my original one. anyone got any advice would be great thanks xx:irked:

Last edited by a moderator:
hi there ive been reading your threads about accredited training schools and would like to point out my experience. i booked for a course in aug 08 with a training school that had just been set up ie in a salon on a night. it was doing acrylic nails i attended the 5 week course and passed. i waited for my cert to come and it never did. so i rang the lady in question and she said she posted it. at xmas i recieved a letter saying their was a envelope with not enough postege on at the post office so ii went down and they said they posted it back out as they were to busy. still no cert came i kept ringing and asking her and she kept saying its been posted out she said she would ring them to obtain another. after a few more months of unanswered calls etc i managed to catch her on the fri and she said to come and collect it on the mon mmm i thought thats a bit quick. so went to pick it up and what a shock i got a pink peice of card what she obviously had drawn up herself just saying that i had attended a 5 wk nail extension course with **** training. i knew the course wasnt accredited as such but the certificate of attendance which i understood to still come from a awarding body.I think she has just printed that off to fob me off as i suspect she would probably have to pay for another. I rang my insurence company and they said it shud be fine to use this as long as i did attend the training mm im still not convinced so im going to email them a copy and se what they think. I paid this women £200 for this peice of rubbish so you do have to do your homework on where to train. but im not letting this drop and want my original one. anyone got any advice would be great thanks xx:irked:

Have you tried contacting the awarding body to see if they can issue you with a certificate?

I rang my insurance company and they said it should be fine to use this as long as i did attend the training. mm im still not convinced so im going to email them a copy and see what they think.

I paid this women £200 for this peice of rubbish so you do have to do your homework on where to train. but im not letting this drop and want my original one. anyone got any advice would be great thanks xx:irked:

Can you do nails after attending this course?

Surely if someone advertises they will teach you to do nail enhancements, then does so,they are not actually doing anything wrong.
Of course if they purport to be training for a particular brand and they are not authorised to do so that is completely different.

My very first course.....WAY back 11 years ago.......was with the technician who did my nails who had set up her own training company as well as running her salon.

I paid £500 for a 5 day course over 5weeks.
She taught me how to do nails!!
OK I wasn't very good at first but I had been shown all the basics, and a good amount of Theory, and the manual was excellent, and I could use it for reference after the course was finished. I couldn't have been that bad though as she actually gave me a job too!

No way was she accredited with anyone, but she was a damn good Educator and she instilled in me the need for continued education.

My certificate??......she had created and printed off from her own home computer!
I still have it though, and know that that is where my career in nails started.
As I was working in a salon I was covered by their Insurance, and by the time I was self employed I had done conversions and Masters Courses with CND so Insurance was easily obtained.

I think we are in danger of tarring everyone with the same brush here, and classing people who are running good but non accredited courses the same as charlatans who take your money and don't even teach you the basics and are not authorised by the brand they use.

My tuppenceworth ;)

im not an expert but have been following this thread.
i dont think there is anything wrong with training courses not being accredited. i would do a course if its was too learn and know how to do it.
i know someone who recently did one and that wasnt accredited and from what they have said they where very happy with it..

if there are a good trainer and they taught me what they said they will im happy with that. :) i dont think if its accredited that makes it a ' better' course in my opinion.

What a great thread:hug:
My 2 peneth worth; let me give you an example.
I pass a nail salon most days that says it is also a training academy.
In the widow is a sticker that is an old creative nails one. Now, I know there is not a CND trainer in my part of the country, and I know that this is the old style logo for CND. But to a newbie, what would this say?
They will walk in and if this place is not as honest as it should be (and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them) the newbie will ask about the course, probably having seen this logo and might even have enough sense to ask about insurance and will just make the assumption that this is a creative trainer when the reality is that this is a training center that also happens to use creative products, or used to use them but hasn't bothered to take the sticker down.
I hope, that they practice good business, I hope that when someone comes to them for training they say all the right things, like who they are accredited with, who will give insurance and all that, but, the sad fact is that they don't have to.
When I started looking at courses I came across one that trained people in all 3 systems over one weekend, they rented a room at one of the hotels for this. I spoke to them on the phone and they told me they could do this because they gave you all the theory to study in your own time and that you spent the full 2 days doing practical work. At the end of it, you got a certificate and they insured you:eek:
I'm so glad that I'm so obsessive about research because that's how I ended up training with CND but a lot of people just want to do our job and don't understand whats involved, they train, they are rubbish and they shove the kit under the bed and go and do something else.
Common sense died and health and safety took its place, health and safety is doing its best, but common sense is sadly missed.

What a great thread:hug:
My 2 peneth worth; let me give you an example.
I pass a nail salon most days that says it is also a training academy.
In the widow is a sticker that is an old creative nails one. Now, I know there is not a CND trainer in my part of the country, and I know that this is the old style logo for CND. But to a newbie, what would this say?
They will walk in and if this place is not as honest as it should be (and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them) the newbie will ask about the course, probably having seen this logo and might even have enough sense to ask about insurance and will just make the assumption that this is a creative trainer when the reality is that this is a training center that also happens to use creative products, or used to use them but hasn't bothered to take the sticker down.

Again I feel I have to add here, that the Salon I did my initial training with also used CND products and had all the posters stickers etc....however as she was not a CND Educator she did not use their products during training. It was an unheard of brand called Kiss!! :rolleyes:
Just because the salon uses it does not mean that they would use it in training, and we all know what we think of people who ASSume LOL :lol:

I knew it would not be CND products used before I trained, so I was not mislead,and again I was more than happy with my initial training. Obviously because the salon used CND I did eventually have to do a conversion therefore CND did indirectly benefit from this Educator,`It's not all bad!!

Hi, a lot of training courses, for example tanning and eyelash training courses a lots of these courses are self accredited
by using their own good name or make of product.....

They can also appoint their own private trainers within salons and have no problems gaining insurance as they have very high standards of teaching but ....none of them are usually accredited with Habia , Babtac or the Guild

Hi All, just as a follow on about the EzFlow courses, i have been talking to Head Office and our Brand Manager wanted to let you know about a partnership we now have with the Carlton Institute, again this is a Training provider that now has teamed up with EzFlow to provide quality product, but they provide the student with their own certificates, these ventures are exciting for us at EzFlow, and we hope this continues.

Amber Gibbons:
"EzFlow are working in partnership with Carlton Inistitute to build quality training with the support of a premium brand. Carlton is;
· One of the leading accredited fast track beauty and spa therapy training.
· Established in1992, who has successfully trained over 15,000 therapists in the UK & Ireland
· They provide CPD training to lectures and tutors
· All courses lead to a diploma or recognised qualification for NVQ
Training standards are fully accredited by VTCT or other associates like the guild, BABTAC or ABT.
Ezflow has built a relationship and has been chosen to offer to this ever increasing industry;
· An Increase level of education
· Build a life long relationship
· Work with one of the industry leading Nails Systems
· Be apart of world leading education team
· Strive to be the best of the best for the professional.
Being a partnership helps built customer support and care right from begginer level in NVQ, to conversions to then continuing into the EzFlow brand where you work towards a Master Technition Level."

In short, we have a number of partnerships in place, but we work closely with all training providers, and they all know they cannot provide EzFlow certificates and as such are NOT EzFlow accredited, they simply use the EzFlow product and liase closely with us as a brand to provide a high standard of product and education. We are taking this very seriously as we strive to such high standards, and to hear someone so unhappy and be under the illusion it has come from EzFlow as a brand is unacceptable, so this is being fully investigated.

Beck

I know this thread was form long ago but I feel utterly devastated after reading these after looking for some support. I took a course. It wasn’t cheap and I didn’t know about accrediting, also their ads made it sound like after receiving their training I would be fully qualified and get insurance. However on completing the course and applying to get insurance I was asked about the accordion the course. I asked my trainer who stated ‘our course isn’t accredited- however you are fully qualified’ I’ve now realised I won’t get insured with anywhere and she’s lied about that also. Can I take this

Hi @Mj88
I unfortunately did the same thing. Although it is a huge loss to bare, you will need to do another course to gain insurance.

But look at it this way, some of the knowledge you have gained will stand you in good stead for another course.

These courses are not regulated, but are not illegal. Many professional nail technicians and member groups have called for the industry to be regulated. Regulations have just been introduced for aesthetics and the hope that this will happen in the nail industry, is eagerly awaited.

I hope that you do not let this get you down and will carry on with determination 🥰

I recommend that you contact some other insurers for salon insurance. If you have a broker for house or car insurance, they can advise. There are insurers who offer salon insurance who do not ask for accreditation. Try AXA for example.

Latest posts

Back