Is it polite to ask a tech to do your nails in a particular way???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scattynat254

Reaction score
The only reason I ask is that I am going on Saturday to have my nails done by a Creative-trained tech (one, because I saw someone today who'd had her nails done by her and they looked gorge, and two because I want to pick her brain about training :)). I only have smallish nail beds but love p/w sculpts and want to know if any geeks out there would have any objection or take offence to a client taking pictures to show what ideal result would be? Or is there a polite way of asking/telling her how I'd like them done? Any tips would be gratefully received. BTW, I love this forum!! x x

if you have small nail beds...like me... just politly ask her if it is possible to extend the nail bed so you have a balanced pink and white during your consultation.
If i cant do a balanced pink and white (without extending the nail bed as not really had the training for it as yet) i would rather not do it personally and advise the client of doing something that looks nice.

It would be refreshing nice change for a client to go to a salon and know exactly what she wanted on her nails,
it would not be rude at all, the nail tech would probably enjoy having a client like you and i am sure she would not mind you taking a photo in with you, it will make it easier for her to give you what you want,
if you want to know about training with creative get it from the horses mouth so to speak and give them a call on 0845 210 6060
they are lovely people and will gladly answer all your questions and send out information to you hth :hug:

Hi Lou! I've done exactly that this morning, just waiting for my stuff to arrive in the post, not that it matters cos I've already 300% decided I'm doing the course!! I know that from my point of view, I would rather ask politely and be happy with the result than not ask and then not be 100% satisfied ... and would hope that any clients I have (when/if I pass lol) would do the same! x

Good for you hun, you will love the course, its hard work but lots of fun too and worth every penny,
you go in there and explain as clearly as you can what you want, it is a breath of fresh air when a client does this as you know they will appreciate and respect your work and do all the correct after care,
we will all be here to help you out when you are training :hug:

i'd be perfectly happy if a client were to do that.
do be prepared to take on her recomendations as well though. it could be that the style you want may not be possible for you. at least it will give your tech something to go on and hopefully you'll be happy with the result.

Thanks for kind words guys, am so looking forward to doing my course ... lou, where abouts in west yorks are you ... possibly passing through there soon and would love for you to do my nails/pick your brain at same time? Possible or not? x x

I am in shipley, its about 10 miles out of Leeds,
of course it would be possible for me to do your nails and for you to pick my brains if you can find them hun :lol: :hug:

Fantastic! Yay I'm excited now! Well, off to bed now, think my eyes are going to start crawling out of my head if I look at any more nail-related stuff tonite!

Shall I IM/PM you to set something up? x

Yes hun feel free to PM me and i will give you my number or email if you like and then we can sort something out,
i will even let you bring your photo :lol:

Love ya love ya love ya love ya!! I'm gonna PM ya right now while I'm still coherent enough! Thanks to the other posters for your help and advice!! Nite! x

I'm sure a Creative geek will show you the way to go hun x
I have to admit I never heard about Creative going into 3d etc but we all move with the times don't we xx
So are Creative going to be working on comps...etc at some point?

I have to admit I never heard about Creative going into 3d etc but we all move with the times don't we xx

The old Art and custom blend course covered 3d art,Di Plummer was amazing,she did show me the ropes and i had a bash when i did the course,but laughed her head off cos she knew it was a waste of time as i don't like it :D

They have been doing it a long time though.

Although I do only natural nails I would far rather my client telling/showing me exactly what he/she wants so I don't have to guess!

:eek: :eek: :eek: ... Creative had done this for a while now but we concentrate on what makes our customers the most money in the salon... pink & white everytime be it custom blend, soft or in-ya-face!!

ScattyNat - look forward to meeting you! :hug:

Thanks Sam!! Likewise! And here I am, back in work, and back on here ... it's going to be a fun day! lol

:eek: :eek: :eek: ... Creative had done this for a while now but we concentrate on what makes our customers the most money in the salon... pink & white everytime be it custom blend, soft or in-ya-face!!

ScattyNat - look forward to meeting you! :hug:

Well you learn something new every day!! I think I assumed this because Gigi is not a lover of nail art tbh:lol:

i wouldn't be offended at all!:hug:

Most are...oh whatever you think will look good ! Which sometimes your 'thinking' - well i dont know what you want or colour you like:eek:!!!

HOWEVER:green: one time i did have a fellow tek come to me (well she wasnt actually a 'working' tek she was a 'just trained' tek get where i'm coming from) and it was....oh well if you do it like this...if you did that....if you just did that with your brush....why do you do that? i dont do that? have you ever used these top coats they are the best etc etc.

I said oh right...so how long have you been trained then? do you have plenty of clients?

'er...no' was the reply 'just trained and no dont have any clients yet.'

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :green: she never came back !! shame that !

To bring it back to the 'real world', it is an insurance requirement to carry out a client consultation and record the details. Part of a correct consultation is to find out the clients preferences.

It's not only appropriate to request a shape (or anything else) it's also a legal requirement for your technician to find out what you want!

Most nail techs prefer if the client makes it clear how she would like her nails to look and would not think it rude at all- in fact she will welcome it.

I know you have spoken to the technician that is going to do your nails,and give you advice ,and allow you to photograph her work ,for your own future reference and she has given her permission,and how nice of her to do that.
My point is-yes we want the clients to tell us their preference,
if you are impressed by her work,by all means let her advise you on training.

BUT if a client whipped out a camera to take photos i would be alarmed,
and truthfully very concerned about her motives-unless of course it had been discussed fully in advance.

Call me suspicious if you like,but we cover most things in our client consultation and have nothing to fear if we do this every time,but i have recently been called as an expert witness in a court case and am horrified at the lengths that people will go to -to claim.
mrs o

Latest posts

Back