kitchen or purpose built shed 'salon'?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsadie

Reaction score
Hi geeks :)

I'm not trained (yet) as some of you may know. To start off with I will be working my nails around my part time job but hopefully, time allowing, I'll be able to do it fulltime and give up my 'proper' job.

What I want to pick your brains about is do you think I should start doing nails in my kitchen (when I'm not out in someone elses house) or do you think I should set up a pupose built area? I was going to invest in a 6' x 8' shed and insulate it, board it out, furnish it, etc. to be able to take clients out there instead. My husband doesn't seem to think I'll need this to begin with and thinks I would be better spending my money on equipment and kit, but my thinking is that it would give a better impression, I wouldn't be disrupting him and my two kids (getting ready for bed, dinner etc) and also he complains about the smell of nailpolish and remover, so what's he going to think about acrylic?!:eek: Also I would be able to give my clients the dedicated time they're paying for.

Your opinions would be gratefully received :green: and I'd be interested to hear where you started out. I already have a nail station where the middle section slides in and out which is so cool :)

Thanks as always

Sarah. xx

P.S My apologies to the Mods if I posted this in the wrong section.

Do you mean garden shed or log cabin, summer house type.

Summer house type. xx

Summer house type. xx

that sound cool, just make sure its warm enough in winter we had one in our last house and in winter it was cold, summer they are really hot too, but that is good because you can have the windows and doors open and if there is a breeze its refreshing

Good luck i am sure it will be fab

i think its a great idea,my friend started her florist business like that,now she has two shops.as long as you have it kitted out ok i think it will be fine,good luck:)

Thanks hun :) I have an oil filled electric heater that'll be fine for the winter and also I'm intending on insulating between the outside skin and the boarding inside, so should be warm as toast :)

I just need to convince my husband that it's worth investing in! When I get more clients and build up confidence I can rent a space or small unit and turn the summer house into a playhouse or just a lovely relaxation room :)

Anyone else think the outside space will be better to use? If you do, please post here as then I can show my husband that it's not just me being a princess, lol!

Sarah. xx

hi
i have a summerhouse which i think will be great when i set my nail business up at home, we got it from wickes, and it's literally a log cabin, it's fabulous, and warm, you even have double glazed windows in it. have a look at there web site. it took my husband and son inlaw a weekend to build, and another to tile the roof. but well worth it. the wood is realy good quality so you don't really have to decorate it, especially as it so attractive, anyway hope that helps. oh it 11 foot by 11ft, which gives loads of room, especially if you want a treatment couch in there.thg:idea:

Thanks hun :) I have an oil filled electric heater that'll be fine for the winter and also I'm intending on insulating between the outside skin and the boarding inside, so should be warm as toast :)

I just need to convince my husband that it's worth investing in! When I get more clients and build up confidence I can rent a space or small unit and turn the summer house into a playhouse or just a lovely relaxation room :)

Anyone else think the outside space will be better to use? If you do, please post here as then I can show my husband that it's not just me being a princess, lol!

Sarah. xx

They are well worth the investment, our log cabin was for my son to train in when not at the gym or somewhere for him and his friends to chill in private. When had electric in it and a heater.

I am sure this will be a lot more professional than doing nails in the kitchen, you could divide it for the beauty couch too.

I have a log cabin and I love it, so do my clients.....it's much more professional than working in your house imo, and I like the fact that clients are not comming into the house at all (as I have a toilet in mine too). I had mine insulated and I have a heater in there too, and it has been plenty warm enough through the winter.

My cabin is huge and cost a lot of money, but I more than made the money back in the first year, so it was worth it.

You mention that it would be your 'shed' or 'products and equipment'? What products and equipment would you do without to get your comfy log cabin/shed?

I work from a summer house also, it is fantastic! As well as not having to pack equipment away all the time, it keeps your house your home, if you know what I mean. Its a fantastic idea. Mine is 10 ft by 22 ft, and an oil filled rad keeps it lovely and cosy in the winter! hth

Hi, i have a really large garden and was thinking of going mobile when i qualify, but the summer house sounds a great idea. Do you have water piped up and what about insurance etc, etc, sorry all new to me. Carole xx

I have water in mine, if you are having water and drainage then you need planning permission, but its best to check anyway. I have my contents insured through salongold and the building is insured under my home insurance. You need permission off your mortgage provider to work from home. hths

Thanks Sharron i will look into it. Carole xx

Has anyone got any pics of theses please so i can get a rough idea what they should look like and also inside would be great xx

Thanks for all your replies geeks (what's happened to the smilies?!):D

You mention that it would be your 'shed' or 'products and equipment'? What products and equipment would you do without to get your comfy log cabin/shed?

Oey, I think he means things like a nail trainer with the bits n pieces and extra nail kit instead of just the basic kit I'll get on my course. It can get expensive as you all know! Thing is, when I do start 'doing nails' I'll be charging people, so anything I make will be going back into my business by renewing my l&p and polishes etc anyway. He wants me to have as much kit as possible, including gel nails stuff like the uv light etc, but I think I'll have enough on my plate learning l&p, without worrying about learning an extra nail skill just so I can use the stuff he thinks I need! (Does that make sense?)

I know he knows it takes time, but I don't think he realises just how much patience and time it'll take to build my client list.

I know I've just waffled on :o but I could probably do without a nail trainer, been looking at how much those babies go for on eBay! And I could probably do with a normal chair to sit on at first instead of the expensive saddle stools I've been looking at, so just those two alone has just saved me about 150 quid!
I'm not sure there's anything else I would really need as I already have my table and I bought two tunics. The course is £500 or thereabouts and I was told there would be extras I will need that takes it to about £650 altogether.

Mind you I just sold my wedding dress and bolero on eBay today so made an extra £100 to go into the 'fund', lol!

Thanks again guys and keep the views coming, I'm going to sit him down and show him tonight that it really is an investment!

Sarah. xx

My salon started life as a gym then my husband started using it as a Photographic Studio until I started doing nails and stole the front half:D now it is used for all three, a quick change round at it can be any one of the three.

It has been insulated and plastered out and I use a small oil filled radiator and it's lovely and warm.

Tips and Toes Salon - a set on Flickr

Stop it ,stop it !!yer all getting me sooo jealous.:sad:I want one.

Sarah :lick: (think this icon is a bit rude!) Anyway, I think that's absolutely beautiful! It looks so lovely, bright and airy and CLEAN!

Oh how I want, no NEED, my salon to be up a running NOW! (Even though I'm probbly not going to need it for a few months, lol!

Sarah. xx

So do I, why oh why do new houses have to have gardens the size of postage stamps. I'm sick of carting my stuff back and forward to peoples homes.

Latest posts

Back