Learn from each other's mistakes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG!!! I'd absolutely die!! The thought of it is making me boak gads!!! Poor you! X

I nearly covered her hair in boak!

Sent from my GT-I8190 using SalonGeek

i think ive stumbled through quite a few mistakes- majority as a newbie.

My fav one is when i was newly qualified, i would just show the chart and say pick the colour, so id get an idea of what they wanted. unbeknownst to me my client is a natural red head, and well i honestly didnt check her level, i just thought got the colour -viola. (i remember being quite cock sure about my ability)

To my horror, her roots have developed and intensifed her natural red tones. big mistake. I just remember recoiling in horror, why wasnt it working. her old hd had told her she'd never used bleach etc- obvious lie. So i proceeded in "fixing it" oh my god, it took me almost 5 hours to finish.

I was so mortified- it really opened my eyes on consultations, colour theory and learning not to skip step that shoud be inprinted in me now! At the time i also got told off for combing through the bleach- another thing i had learnt! yikes i was pretty bad when i started! xoxo

Well here goes!!!

I was nearing the end of my training in a new salon was about 1990. A natural red head came in wanting blonde hi lights, through a cap might I add. Anyway I was about to mix bleach with 40vol, it was the norm to mix with 40 then when the stylist who normally did her hair barged in and said she normally uses 60vol (thank god it's not around anymore) and sticks her under the dryer for 10 mins!!! I thought she was joking, she assured my she wasnt so I did as I was told. 10 mins later I took her to the basin to rinse, removed the plastic cap and you should have seen the steam, I pooped my pants!! I literally had to remove the hi lights from the cap one by one, her hair was like chewing gum!. This was my last client on a Saturday afternoon and I wasn't back in until the Wednesday, longest weekend of my life. I dreaded going back in but you know what, she never complained and still came back.xx

Anyone ever used a section clip on blonde hair that you just assume is clean only to remove and notice there are lovely red or brown spots on the hair because its been used at some
Point to hold hair with tint on it. ALWAYS check they are clean haha

Yup done this!! Nice bleach mark on dark hair!!! X

I recently lifted a hair grip and opened it with my front tooh and got ear wax in my mouth! !!! Needless to say I will ue my nail in future. Lol

Sent from my GT-I8190 using SalonGeek

Omg thats disgusting! haha, i always use my chest anyway :)

Omg thats disgusting! haha, i always use my chest anyway :)

Luckily im one of those can't do hair-up wont do hair up people. The mere thought of that has pit me off even more!

Since seeing this thread start I've been really really thinking about mine, but I managed to rescue any that started to go wrong before the final result as one of my colleagues failed to watch a colour and sent someone blonde... Brown roots (wrong tube in box) so I've always watched the development, and always checked my colours even with me being the only putting them back lol.

But I have to have some disasters worth mentioning so I'll have a think and see what I dig out (I've obv buried them and threw away the key to that room in my brain lol)

Ive got to say, Am 18 Still Training and this thread has scared me so much ! Especially the colour ones HaHa i worry with colour now never mind making a mistake, HaHa so good to here that all hairdressers are normal and even the ones who have been doing it for years can still make mistakes :) :) :) :)

GREAT THREAD !!

Ive got to say, Am 18 and still Training and OMG this thread had scared me so much, Especially the colour ones, Am nervous with colour now never mind making a mistake HaHa, Its so good to hear that Hairdressers are all normal and everyone makes mistakes ! Even the ones doing it for years. :) :) :) :)

GREAT THREAD !!!!

Ive got to say, Am 18 and still Training and OMG this thread had scared me so much, Especially the colour ones, Am nervous with colour now never mind making a mistake HaHa, Its so good to hear that Hairdressers are all normal and everyone makes mistakes ! Even the ones doing it for years. :) :) :) :)

GREAT THREAD !!!!
Computers going weird posted it twice :p

I have done the clippering up the back of the head without a grade too, i will never do that again now!
I also had a client who had a long bit at the front of her hair (the 90's) and only wanted a trim, i somehow managed to cut the long bit right off. Client was incredibly annoyed.
I did a set and had the client under the old fashioned hooddryer, 3 hours later i remembered that she was there!!! :eek: I still don't get why she just stayed there that long.
I was talking to a client and said that we had been "having a mass debate" out the back, sounded quite different when said outloud haha

I think i made lots of mistakes in my early years :irked:

This one was my hair, when I was training. I had natural level 5 hair with maji contrast red slices through the parting. My friend and I decided It would look great blonde so we bought a blonde tint from a chemist (!) and stuck it on. Oh my, my friend couldn't talk when she was rinsing it off as she was laughing so much. It was bright yellow roots, bright pink midlengths and a funky orange on the ends haha. I ended up skiving college for the rest of the day and going into work for them to sort it out.

I did a shampoo and set on a lady once, pure white hair. I forgot that I had just used that comb to apply coloured mousse just before, she left with a purpe rinse :o She was fine, I did offer to re do it but she just laughed thank god.

I cut a womans ear when she sneezed, that was awful, so much blood.

A woman walked out half way through a cut, she asked for a meg ryan short choppy bob but then got scared when she saw the hair on the floor. I even had the picture pinned to the mirror but she just fled!

When I had been qualified a year or so I cut an inverted bob, but completely went wrong and she ended up with an ear length bob. Oh and I once razored someone's hair to death, looked great the first time but when she came back for a trim I just did the same. Wispy just doesn't describe it!

I've been qualified 12 years now and thankfully seem to have left these mistakes well in the past! (touch wood)

Well ive been pissing my pants at these!
**essay alert**
The worst mistake Ive ever made was with the clippers.. Id taken the grade off to trim round the ears and noticed a couple hairs id missed.. Bzzzzzz. Up the back! I was shaking SO bad trying the blend it in I could have actually cried! In the end said to his wife, just come look at this I don't know how its happened!? (Thank the lord he'd originally wanted raw blade!!!! Never done it since tho)
This was less than a year ago I'm still nervous!

While I was training I got my foil and all over colour the wrong way round, luckily realised when the mixtures had started changing colour, had to excuse myself and casually ask my boss to help me with something in the back! havent done that since!

my friend who I worked with chopped off a ladys mole on her neck. it was on her scissor blade!! the lady didn't say anything so she just carried on haha!

Many occasions had to excuse myself for a 'hair up my nose - need a tissue' to go spew up what I'd drunk hours before. Took me about a year to learn from that mistake!

I still live in fear that I will pick up regular scissors instead of thinning! Cant believe its happened to somebody its my worst nightmare..!!

I went to thin out my own hair with thinning scissors, picked up a big section and chopped half way up. I had normal scissors!! Lol x

Can't stop laughing at this thread! Some funny stuff! Lol x

Can't stop laughing at this thread! Some funny stuff! Lol x

Same! Also making me feel better knowing that everyone does daft things! Lol

Luckily im one of those can't do hair-up wont do hair up people. The mere thought of that has pit me off even more!

So do you not do any hair up at all? I used to be terrified of hair up, but after intense training in it at college, i love it now :)

So do you not do any hair up at all? I used to be terrified of hair up, but after intense training in it at college, i love it now :)

I have a rule. If it involved more than 5 or 6 kerbies I won't be doing
It. Just have a mental block with them x

Do you not find that that limits you? My main goal is to be able to do anything with anyones hair that walks in the salon door :)

lol i used to be like this, i remember drop kicking my model head down the corridor in frustration at them ( she's called svetlana, her eyes are painted on squint so she looks like a drunk Russian jolly girl), did the head not bounce off of every door in the place, so plenty of people came out to see my hissy fit xxx

Latest posts

Back