Learn from each other's mistakes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well ive been pissing my pants at these!
**essay alert**
The worst mistake Ive ever made was with the clippers.. Id taken the grade off to trim round the ears and noticed a couple hairs id missed.. Bzzzzzz. Up the back! I was shaking SO bad trying the blend it in I could have actually cried! In the end said to his wife, just come look at this I don't know how its happened!? (Thank the lord he'd originally wanted raw blade!!!! Never done it since tho)
This was less than a year ago I'm still nervous!

While I was training I got my foil and all over colour the wrong way round, luckily realised when the mixtures had started changing colour, had to excuse myself and casually ask my boss to help me with something in the back! havent done that since!

my friend who I worked with chopped off a ladys mole on her neck. it was on her scissor blade!! the lady didn't say anything so she just carried on haha!

Many occasions had to excuse myself for a 'hair up my nose - need a tissue' to go spew up what I'd drunk hours before. Took me about a year to learn from that mistake!

I still live in fear that I will pick up regular scissors instead of thinning! Cant believe its happened to somebody its my worst nightmare..!!

And now I always check for moles!! X

Still in training but the worst thing that's happened so far is with highlights :(
I was doing a full head of highlights and did what I thought was a full consultation. I was wrong :(
Used 6% in the foils but after taking the hair out of the foils the hair started to disappear down the drain! It was all gummy and horrible and a wave of panic and fear and desperation came over me! I must have rinsed her hair for about 10 minutes and gave her the lushest head massage until I could calm myself down.
Turns out she'd been using 'sun-in' and forgot to mention it :(
Bought her condition treatments and cut her kids hair for free now out of guilt...

Still in training but the worst thing that's happened so far is with highlights :(
I was doing a full head of highlights and did what I thought was a full consultation. I was wrong :(
Used 6% in the foils but after taking the hair out of the foils the hair started to disappear down the drain! It was all gummy and horrible and a wave of panic and fear and desperation came over me! I must have rinsed her hair for about 10 minutes and gave her the lushest head massage until I could calm myself down.
Turns out she'd been using 'sun-in' and forgot to mention it :(
Bought her condition treatments and cut her kids hair for free now out of guilt...

what is that sun in?

Sun in is a spray in a bottle that you spray onto your hair and it gradually lightens it. I remember going for my hair highlighted when I used to use it and lucky for me they did a strand test and it turned green and went all stretchy. Obviously some form of bleach in a can

I should,say this was 25 years ago not sure if its still around

Oh I see I have watch a video on YouTube which a girl use a spray and it goes lighter and lighter sound the same thing then thanks xx

I coloured a girls hair once round her house. She had been colouring her win hair black and wanted purple streaks.

To start with, I forgot my pin tail comb, so had to take all the sections with my little finger! Then I bleached it up with 6% all turned out fine. Washed it off when it was light then applied a 6vr in a cheap range from L&N called colourly.

Once the colour had developed, washed it of, to find a lovely ashen blonde! I couldn't believe my eyes. And had no tint left! I still have no idea why that happened!

I learnt never to use colours you haven't heard of haha!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

I coloured a girls hair once round her house. She had been colouring her win hair black and wanted purple streaks.

To start with, I forgot my pin tail comb, so had to take all the sections with my little finger! Then I bleached it up with 6% all turned out fine. Washed it off when it was light then applied a 6vr in a cheap range from L&N called colourly.

Once the colour had developed, washed it of, to find a lovely ashen blonde! I couldn't believe my eyes. And had no tint left! I still have no idea why that happened!

I learnt never to use colours you haven't heard of haha!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Lol that's crazy

Some of these posts are hilarious!! My biggest mistake was working in an European/Afro hair salon, to which I had no experience at the Afro hair!! My boss assured me she could help teach what I needed to know, anyways client comes in wants a shampoo and treatment on Afro hair,whats so hard about that I thought........
My boss was busy with another client so I washed the clients hair twice with shampoo and then proceeded to generously heap the 'treatment' conditioner all over the ladies head, as I tried to rinse it off my hands I noticed it wasn't coming off, it was like chip pan fat!! I'd only gone an used a form of scalp grease which is used between tight braids sparingly! Luckily it didn't damage the hair but took me around 20 shampoos to get it out!
Lesson learned read what your applying!

After I had been away working for months I returned to my usual salon that august and this guy whos hair I alway cut had come in and I asked him how his mum was keeping.his reply.........she was buried in march. :O

Sent from my GT-I8190 using SalonGeek

I had a client in a few years ago for bleach hi lights. We had a selection of redken toners and enhancers at the backwash in tubes. A purple one, orange one and red one. I ask the assistant to put the toner on, she has carried out this procedure a hundreds times! I take the towel from the clients head to see the highlights are now pink! Yep she put the red enhancer over the hi lights!

Years ago i Had a new client that wouldn't keep her head still and I cut her ear! She then proceeded to keep pulling at her ear so the blood was flowing down her ear and neck! I had to bluntly tell her to stop touching it as she is making it bleed more! I patched her up, apologized and gave her a discount and never saw her again!

Imagine if she had opened the glossy magazines and turned to the back page to see "have you been hurt at the hair salon" call this number to claim! Eeeeeeeeeeeeek xx

Aw I love this thread what a good idea, so funny!! This isn't really a hair muck up but.... I was casually sweeping around my section after I used it and bent down to pick up a wee bit of rubbish the client left, our sections were glass so very sharp corners!! I caught my forehead on the corner quite hard and must of knocked the sense out if me as I forgot I was in a full salon(Saturday)and at the top of my voice was like "ah f**kin hell, sh!t that f**kin killed" thankfully there were no snooty ones in and they all found it hilarious! And my boss was a great boss too!!! X

I recently lifted a hair grip and opened it with my front tooh and got ear wax in my mouth! !!! Needless to say I will ue my nail in future. Lol

I recently lifted a hair grip and opened it with my front tooh and got ear wax in my mouth! !!! Needless to say I will ue my nail in future. Lol

OMG!!! I'd absolutely die!! The thought of it is making me boak gads!!! Poor you! X

Anyone ever used a section clip on blonde hair that you just assume is clean only to remove and notice there are lovely red or brown spots on the hair because its been used at some
Point to hold hair with tint on it. ALWAYS check they are clean haha

Anyone ever used a section clip on blonde hair that you just assume is clean only to remove and notice there are lovely red or brown spots on the hair because its been used at some
Point to hold hair with tint on it. ALWAYS check they are clean haha

At the previous salon I volunteered at I was a jr along with 2 other girls. This was happening a lot with the stylists and cause I was the newest I was getting told off. But I knew it wasn't me!! I used to wash them so thoroughly!! Anyway, after one of the other jrs washed a load if clips I asked her if she wanted me to put then away. 2 stylists and the manager were around and when I picked them up I saw colour. Well I went off my head and shouted 'its YOU!!! I'm getting in **** cause you can't wash clips!!!' I never got told off again lol

Latest posts

Back