Lost job before first day at work for being the wrong sex!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont mean this to sound bitchy or catty but one day aint going to help me find a job or sustian the level of skills i need to apply for jobs
But you can put it on your CV......as Zo Zo said, try and be more positive, ditch the defeated attitude, so many different people here have given you positive advice, take it on board and do something about it! Mum hat is off now....it's up to you now xxx:hug:

mate u defo should keep trying, when i first started in the industry i had all the same but i kept tryin and im pleased to say i did......

I have worked for essential nails and opi 2 of the leaders in the nail industry and never faced any sort of unfairness.....

altho it dont seem like the best idea now dont waste all that training, 9 out of 10 clients of mine say they "prefer" a male tech, no offence ladies as i dont agree ur genitals shud come into it......... its the person doing the treatment that matters

I dont mean this to sound bitchy or catty but one day aint going to help me find a job or sustian the level of skills i need to apply for jobs

No it won't sustain your skills, but it would have given you such an amazing boost to meet and see that Andy has been successful and he would have been able to give you hints and tips to maybe approach your search from a different angle.

But if you can't be bothered or think it's not worthwhile then I am very unsure as to what type of advice you were actually looking for from us in the 1st instance.

this reply is not meant to be bitchy but you sound very pessimistic which will come across in any interview situation, therefore making you feel worse.

I agree with Martigirl... although I feel bad about being so blunt last night, I do think that one day with Andy would have been hugely inspirational.

Never turn down an invitation, you never know where it could lead!

Ok after all the cruel to be kind advice from u peeps last week about stopping being depresssed i have tried to sell myself to every salon/spa/hotel in the area and have agian drawn a big fat blank....the most common opinion being'are clients a female and wouldn't like a male therapist' som after a long heart toheart with my mum we both think it would be best if i pursued other interests as i'm getting no younger and just getting more depressed and angry by failure.

Ok after all the cruel to be kind advice from u peeps last week about stopping being depresssed i have tried to sell myself to every salon/spa/hotel in the area and have agian drawn a big fat blank....the most common opinion being'are clients a female and wouldn't like a male therapist' som after a long heart toheart with my mum we both think it would be best if i pursued other interests as i'm getting no younger and just getting more depressed and angry by failure.

If that is really what you feel, then maybe it's for the best. :hug: If not PM ANDY AND GO TO SEE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for shouting, but you can see by the response you've got from your thread how us girls (and Carl and Andy) don't want you to throw this away if it's what you really want. Whatever you decide, I wish you all the luck for the future. Maybe branch out into another field for now. You can always come back to the beauty industry in the future, if you change your mind.:hug:

In life you come up against things that will knock you down.. You have to believe in what you want and go get it..
No!.. isnt a bad thing.. No!.. can make you see exactly what you want and bring out a part of yourself that you never knew excisted.. can i be blunt and say that you seem to be using your gender as an excuse..

I was a painter/decorator for 15 years in an all male industry.. I had to prove myself all the time.. work harder then the fella's..and deal with some who thought that there was no place in that kind of workplace for women..I fought for my apprenticeship.. and then fought to keep it.. and by god i loved it!!!:mad:
Playing the girl card would have been easy!! sexual descrimination!!??!! Crikey.. I could write a book on it.. Being in a gender biased workforce didnt make me any less feminine, and it sure as hell didnt make me any less capable.. and in the end THATS what earnt me the respect i got.. being capable and a Girl!!

Put your head down, your bum up.. keep training and practising.. work your arse off and PROVE yourself.. OR.. Give up and find something else to do.. but don't blame Gender.. Its far too easy to play that card even if it is true!! (and im not saying its not.. but your the only one who can make people see you talent not your sex!):hug:

Hi Tony
I don't know if this is going to help you, but let me tell you my story, 2yrs ago I did both my nvq level 2 & 3 and other additional course's.While doing both courses not once did I ever have a negative responce to me from a female client, I had plenty of encouragement from tutors also.Iasked my tutors plenty of times how I would get on in the industry, and was always told that I would never have a problem. I left June last year all fresh faced and full of eagerness, when I left I had plenty of interviews and no second interviews or the job itself, after a while I started to realise that salons in my area weren't going to employ me, I even had an interview at Saks that confirmed my suspicions,and even told me that salons in my area wouldn't know how to market me, and that I should aim for the bigger companies because they would know what to do with me, by the way I also didn't get that job too even after I was told that she had no problem with me or she would not of given me the interview.
So I went away not feeling defeated and decided to take their advice, it was a vicious circle the bigger company's said we like what we see, however the only thing not getting me that job was salon work and that was not going to happen any time soon, it is very frustrating I have sent out over 150 cv's covering Portsmouth, Winchester,Southampton and Brighton over the cousre of a year and it is very annoying, frustrating etc, I know I am just as good as the other girls I trained with.
It is annoying when I hear that the male grooming business is booming , well why is it so hard for us to get our foot in the door. I want to be a part of this industry I am 30 ( plus 3 extra yrs shhh don't tell anyone), and I left a career behind to do what I love not what I like, I now have a choice to make do I look for work in London, or do I make a business plan and set myself as mobile / freelance, this past week or so I have received a subscription to Professional Beauty Magazine and joined this forum, both have given me a new outlook.
It is hard work, when I left college I knew it was going to be harder than I was told, but I never knew it was going to be this difficult don't give up. Something will work out for you, I know it's easier said than done. See Andy he might be the situation you need, to get your fight back
Wow that is a ramble, but I felt it needed to be said let me know how you get on, thanks to people for reading this long post.

Take care Jason :) :green::cool:

Hey Jason, Thats the attitude that will get you what you want!
I never thought this industry was gender biased.. so i spose it shows how much i know hey! Thing is as a consumer i wouldnt have a problem who was doing my treatments as long as they were doing them well.. :).. Good luck with what you do.. im sure you will be fantastic!:hug:

im a self employed male therapist in the poor up north but the one thing i've found is that if your positive about your abilities and you listen twice as much as you speak
(1 mouth 2 ears)
people will listen to you and your confidence, ability and positive attitude will make most people blind to the fact your a guy those who don't, arn't worth working for/with

i hope you don't give up on your dream it took me 5 years but i won :)

Hi Tony
I agree with all the other geeks who have said about writing a letter to them.

I think you should send a letter recorded delivery, to their head office mentioning any names/dates /brief discussions that took place and the fact that you understood you were ...xyz.....etc. State that you would like a written reply within a certain period of time , if you feel like it ask for an appointment to see the area manager.

You obviously feel very passionate about what you do to have undertaken both 2&3 levels in Beauty Therapy. I would look at all the positive things that this has shown you.........write them down, reflect on them and look at them over a period of a week or so. If you lived near me I know what I would do!

all the best
Teresa

please dont give up .!! i would kill to turn bak the clock and do the courses u have and have ur qualifications! what a waste . im only 24 but ive been told i cant get any funding for courses as im too old! and im not entitled to any help !! dont flush it all down the pan . is there not and spaces or rooms to rent for u to set up urself ? u then could try getting ur own clients and pay a percentage to the owner ? mite work

Good luck whatever you decide to do x

It's odd as here in London, you'll find men on most cosmetic counters in the department stores.

Too right!!

When i worked for Dior I worked with a man and it was so much fun!!

xx

Hi just thought you'd like to know there is a male beauty therapist working in Frasers in Glasgow and has been there for a long time (Years) and he is great great great he remembers something about you so the next time you go in he says it and guess what you bye more yep me included we all like our ego flattered now and again. Personally I think hes great and funny usually when I go into ___ hes the one that services me.

Hes also very on top of whats going on make-up wise:). and dosent bore me to death with science (as he knows im a therapist)

So keep looking for your ideal job and start knowing on doors. Just ignore the narrow minded people, as they dont go very far in this business.:mad:

kind regards Catherine

p.s if you dont have it in writing that they will give you the job then its your word against there's and after all that do you really want to work for someone that petty,
I know in Scotland that verbally is binding but not so in England.

Good luck with the job search. We have quite a few male therapists working freelance in glasgow offering different beauty and holistic service.

Hay well done dont give up, there are lots of jobs in many male therapy salons in london google male salons in London and write to them. Have you tried the beauty agencies, active connection, sas, beauty recuritment plus.

Go for it Good Luck!

Thanks Tracy...Its like they think by having amn all there clients would stop coming....some of the salons have been worst with there response to job adverts e.g. "We are a female client only salon so only employ females". I have sent out 100 CVs and have onlt 2 interviews not a good ratio is it.
Hi there, I read your threads and I was wondering if you had any luck finding work. I'm opening a men only hair and beauty salon early next year so if you were still looking for work I am looking for a male therapist, however I am in Leicester!

Don't give up. In my full time job I work for a financial adviser which is a very male dominated industry. You can still do it, you just might have to work a little bit harder, thats all. Don't give up at the first hurdle.....

Good Luck
x

That's ridiculous that they wouldn't employ you on the Benefit counter - as I'm sure I've seen male sales assistants on the MAC counter in Birmingham - and some of the very best make-up artists in the world are male - think Kevyn Aucoin etc - and many of the brilliant make-up artists in TV and film; as for beauty therapy, there is a growing demand for male treatments (as Axiom will have already mentioned) and especially in that arena, there will be people that would prefer a male therapist. So I'd say don't give up - you will be sure to find your niche and a great career to boot!

Latest posts

Back