make-up nightmare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tina

Reaction score
long story short

i done make-up on made of honour today, after i applied make up she moaned that she still had dark circles under her eyes and that my mascara was basically crap and she would do her own mascara.

i applied more concealer and after she'd been to the mirror i said to her ok you happy with that now to which she responded "no but it will do" i couldnt believe it, even the bride said what do you mean no i think it looks nice.

is there anything else i should be doing to remove dark circles under the eyes, i think she expected an airbrushed look, she made me really p'd off and like i was rubbish at applying make-up and didnt have a clue what i was doing.

is this normal to get people like this, its put me off a bit now.

i do want to do an advanced course in make -up but thought i was pretty good with make-up

aargh!!!

oh and she also said oh did you apply blusher, which i did but never apply it harsh as people tend not to like streaks across their cheeks

Maybe she likes the streaky look! lol

I shouldn't let it worry you and stick to your guns regarding a more natural cheek blush and not caking the lashes in mascara! Some people are never happy and generally wedding make up is more natural so you were right to do it how you did, anyway the bride was happy so that's all that's important!. The before and after photos on your website look very nice so keep at it. x

for the dark circles are you using a colour correcting concealer? i was taught to use lilac but we also played with a yellow one which i think was ace.
Other than that try not to let it get you down, some people will never be happy.
xx

Did you do a consultation with the bride as to how she wants the maid of honour to look? Did she have some pictures of what she liked? We can advise less is more but if the bride is happy with her to and if she wants to look very made up that is her prerogative. I'm guessing she wasn't very tactful but she is probably stressed over the whole thing. I would just grin and bear it unless she was really rude and just do what she wanted, unless the bride tells you otherwise. :hug:

Yellow colour corrector is brilliant for neutralising dark circles. Bobbi Brown has an extensive range of colour correctors, its what I use. My eye circles are really really dark, proper panda like. Bobbi Brown is the only thing I found that really knocks out the darkness. hth

Was the room dark so they put the lights on?

If so, the lights cast a shadow under the eyes making them look darker - make sure all the make-up is done near a window - with natural light coming through, this makes a massive difference.

When she got outside it will have looked absolutely fine.

Even if not, I always say things like, you probably have your own routine so feel free to add more if it makes you feel 'more like you'

Make-up is so personal - sometimes you can't please someone - I'v tried and although I kill myself trying - sometimes your best is just not enough.

Forget it, move on, its all happened to us - you know they look better and thats all that matters.

Hope my bit helps a bit.

xx

Theres always one isnt there!!:rolleyes: They dont realise that bridal make up isnt your saturday nite out application, and its a personal thing i. If the bride and the rest were happy thats the main thing. Dont let it knock your confidence, your the pro and know what your doing, put it down to experience!!!! Do you use ysl touche eclat? wouldnt be without it when doing make-ups , brill for dark circles.

cheeky cow ! - I've had a few of them and I know the make up was perfect. Some of them just have no respect for our feelings. The worst is they can't give any constructive critiscism. You ask what's wrong is it the eyeshadow colour?foundation etc and all you get is "I don't know" Personally if the bride as happy then don't worry about it it's her wedding. Also some people just need to b the centre of attention on someone elses day so take that into account huni. Try to sit down for at least a few mins and ask how much make up they normall wear, if they want to concentrate on eyes but not caked etc. It's amazing how different peoples ideas are on the prefect make upxx xx

I shouldn't let it worry you and stick to your guns regarding a more natural cheek blush and not caking the lashes in mascara! Some people are never happy and generally wedding make up is more natural so you were right to do it how you did, anyway the bride was happy so that's all that's important!. The before and after photos on your website look very nice so keep at it. x

thanks, for the bride in mention i havnt put her picture on the website yet, will be doing it in the next few days.
with the stroppy maid of honour i did want to do a before and after but didnt think the picture would look very good with a baby attached to her breast as she was breast feeding at the beginning of the treatment, and we were limited for time to wait.
the joys of being mobile, hey!! lol

hi

yeah im aware of the lilac corrective stick but never heard of the yellow so might try out the barry m one on myself , ysl is too expensive and dont think its anything special as i used to use it personally.

when it comes to make-up , i have noticed that some people are so picky and they compare it to how they wear it everyday so if thats the look they are after why pay me to do it, when they can do it themselves.

i think some people expect us to be miracle workers and expect the airbrushed look in the flesh.

i do want to do a course in make-up artistry so maybe i will learn to do miracles there, lol

for the dark circles are you using a colour correcting concealer? i was taught to use lilac but we also played with a yellow one which i think was ace.
Other than that try not to let it get you down, some people will never be happy.
xx

i get terrible dark circles myself so know how hard they are to deal with ..
where do i get this yellow corrector as lilac doesnt do it for me???? x

Latest posts

Back