Male clients for Mobile Techs - Do you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Reaction score
I have been slowly building business over the past couple of months.
All of my paid advertising has Just come out on Monday and so far, I have had good responce!

As a Mobile Tech, I decided in the begining that I would only offer treatments to female clients - but, if their husband etc wanted a treatment too, then I would be happy to do it.
Reason being my personal safety - although we can't be sure that we are ever safe with females clients either!!:eek:
This hasn't been an issue so far, as I have never had a call from a man....... until today.

He left a message on my answering machine, so I haven't spoken with him yet.
I really want to get this sorted asap, so I don't seem rude by leaving him waiting too long for a reply.

He has said that he would like to book for a pedicure and polish.

My initial reaction was - No Male Clients
Then I thought - Thats A Bit Off Really! Poor bloke might really need his feet done.
And then - Polish!? Maybe he is a prank caller?
But - Maybe he likes his nails polished! Why not?

He sounded middle aged and quite well-to-do. He left his name and contact details etc, so I don't feel like it is a prank call.

What should I do?
I only work evenings too, so another thing to consider.
Do I stick to what I had decided initially - No Male Clients?
Is that pure discrimination? Or just being sensible?
I would love to do it - Pedicures are my fave! Especially on men! Men have manky feet, so I get the chance to really work some magic!

If he had asked for a spray tan, I would say no, as he would be naked.
But even if I am only doing his feet, I could still be on my own with him in his house. Let's face it, if he wants his nails polished, he probably isn't married?!

Oh man! I don't know what to do!
What do you do as a mobile tech?
What would you do if you were a mobile tech?

Advice from all who wish to share, is very much appriciated!

Is it possible you have mis-understood the message?
I mean is it possible he wants to book it for a friend/partner as a surprise?

I personally wont be doing male clients, but if you really want to do it can you not arrange for a friend to go with you?

Phone him back and clarify if it's for him and then go from there.

Let us know what you decide.

I've always said that i only offer treatments to female clients - but if their husband etc wanted a treatment too, then I would be happy to do it. I'd feel a bit unsure going to do a male treatment, just my personal prefernence.
Luckily I've never had a man ring me, so i'm not sure how i would handle the situation if it occured xx

i have had huys ring asking for a manicure etc.. then they tell me its for there wife , they dont seem to be very good at explaining themselves very well , maybe you could phone back and ask if it is for him ?? or his partner , ??
on another note i have had a few guy clients , but make them come to me when hubby is about , just incase , lol

I hadn't considered that he might want to book it for someone else!
That is a very good point.

But if call back and it is for him........?

Would it seem unprofessional to bring someone with me? Any of you ever done that?
I can't have him come to me, as my dogs would never stop barking at him!! Hence the reason I'm mobile!! :lol:

Thanks for your help so far.

i would say , due to safety i always bring someone , if hes a normal bloke he wont mind x

Work within your comfort zone - if you don't feel happy seeing male clients, simply explain that you regrettably won't be able to see him (you don't have to go into the hows and whys) but perhaps you are able to suggest another therapist or salon in your area that would be able to help him?

Andy x

I'm just an awful cynic and i wouldn't do it,if its for him.
I think just from what you are saying you have doubts about this.
If it was just a pedicure ok, but polish.Thats just not right is it.
There is nothing worse than as a hard working therapist you end up given a treatment where you just know that they are having it just to get a cheap thrill.
Definately do not go on your own.

I agree with the others, work within your comfort zone.

I have a ladies only policy, which I decided very quickly when I was asked by a man for a full set of nail extensions for himself. I'm not judging him but for me, that was definitely beyond the boundaries of where I felt comfortable. Had it been a pedi, I don't know. Still don't think I'd have been happy doing mobile for men who I didn't know though. Taking a friend may feel a little strange to you but if you are going to do it I would go down this route or not do it at all.

Good luck whatever you decide. x

I would have edited my last post but it won't let me for some reason.

Do you think by "polish" he means buffing? Not sure though.

I would have edited my last post but it won't let me for some reason.

Do you think by "polish" he means buffing? Not sure though.
I'm not sure - guess I won't be sure of anything until I speak to him!! :lol:

TBH, I wouldn't have a problem applying enhancements, spray tanning or doing any treatment for male clients - It is being vulnerable that worries me!

But then, Nutters come in all shapes and sizes!

if you are unsure about it at all then dont go! your personal safety is much more important than a few quid. I only do mens manis when my partner is about so I know I feel comfortable and relaxed

saying that though wierdos can be male or female so its always best to stick to your instincts , if it doesnt feel right to you , dont go xx

Have a look in my journal about a recent pedicure I did for a man....he tried to get a mobile to go out to him before he came to my salon.....I'll be full booked next time he wants one!:eek:

I was about to say go for it....but after seeing these posts it changed my opinion slightly...maybe im naive as ive always treated men but then ive never been on my own....although i know there are the downsides.

Its difficult isnt it hun,you dont want to turn business away,but then safety is more important...i would go with the latter part maybe...if i lived nearer i would recommend LOADS of men who are respectable your way:green:

If he sounds genuine enough when you speak to him, agree to do it but explain that there will need to be another person present.

Personally, I wouldn't go to a male client on my own. If he is genuine, then he will understand why you may feel uncomfortable going there alone. If you say that someone will be with you and he gets funny about it, then alarm bells should ring with you.

I think it's better to take precautions and know that you will be safe, rather than be uncomfortable, worry about it, and put yourself in a vulnerable, potentially dangerous position.

i'd say call him and then see how you feel

if you don't feel comfortable, don't do it

once you speak to him you will know exactly what it is he wants

Do you know of any male techs who may be willing to take him on in your area ?

I agree with all the others it just not worth taking a chance on ,

All nail techs must put their own personal safety first :hug::)

You must always leave a list to say where you will be if you are working mobile.
If you get a new female client, who's to say she IS FEMALE??
Nothing is ever as it seems sometimes these days.
I do have male clients....my eldest I have recently lost...he has gone from sheltered accomodation into a nursing home. I will miss him because he was such a fun character and so lovely.
BUT not everyone is as they seem so just be careful when you work mobile.
I try to be.

In this day and age you can never be too careful...YOUR safety must be paramount above any and all things. If you still want to service him call and tell him that for safety concerns you will have an assistant with you and that this is procedure for all clients (so that he won't feel singled out) and if he is on the up and up he should have no problem with it. Be sure to make sure that whomever you take if you do decide to go is a MALE, because 2 females can easily be overpowered by a man, plus you don't know if there will be others there as well...Just be safe luv! :hug:

And as far as the polish...he might just want clear polish, a lot of men have manicures and pedicures with clear polish...anything else IS weird!

Latest posts

Back