Mary Mary Quite Contrary

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaydee

Reaction score
How does your retail go......lol. Are you a technician that finds it easy to retail or do you struggle to get your clients to buy.
David.

I'm rubbish at it! My clients are like friends now and I don't even like charging them for their nails let alone other stuff. I even tell them to buy polish remover/acetone from the chemist as it's cheaper than Bio's. I do try and retail Bio Sculpture nail polishes and top coats as they are v good quality and the same price as they'd pay in the stores for other non prof brands. I also make up an aromatherapy cuticle oil that clients buy. Once they have purchased, if they bring the glass bottle back I refill it at lower cost. An occasional nail file gets sold, but I usually give them one at Christmas with some hand cream or something! I'll never get rich. Do you think it's because I have a home salon? Is retail easier in a High Street Salon/Spa?

Love Juliette

I find it a struggle some times, if my clients are going to stand and wait for 5p change (even if i have to copper up due to running low on small change) then you can bet no amount of pushing to buy some after care is going to work! lol

I've always been pretty good at retailing, however i noticed it was far far far easier when I had a credit card machine and it accounted for at least 35% of my turnover! People tend to bring the correct cash now and so don't have the readies for the extras, and my retailing is virtually zilch.

I get the odd client ask for a particular polish or some lint free nail wipes but often (opposite to Sassy) they come with the wrong money and if I don't always have the change i am asked to credit them.

A client two weeks ago gave me all her polishes.

Teri x:hug:

I have never had a problem retailing.

I sell products like they are a prescription- if they want the long term love, they have to do their homework- I kind of make it a non-option. I have learned that people LIKE being told what to do lol- You hand them something and say, you are buying this, this is why, and never have I had a client say no.

For those of you that are too nice to their clients... How in the HECK are you making any money?? You need to seperate your business from your personal life STAT, and if your so called client "friends" don't understand and get pissy, then they are USING you and are not your friends in the first place.

My REAL friends know that this is my JOB, that I need to make a living, and that my TIME is MONEY. Anyone that doesn't understand that isn't worth being friends with. They are only out for themselves. I CANNOT stress this enough!!! This is a SALES and SERVICE business, and if you want to make it, and on a better salary than working at McDonald's, you better get the mindset to better run your business. It's eat or be eaten, and none of us can afford to let customers walk all over us because we don't have the nerve to hurt their feelings. We don't go to their place of work and ask for discounts or freebies do we?? Nope- and bet your bootie they would be offended if we asked them to. It's their livelyhood! Unless what you are doing is a hobby, it's YOUR livelyhood too.

Sorry for ranting, but MAN, you guys need to stop undercutting yourselves!!!

GET WHAT YOU ARE WORTH! BE PAID WHAT YOU SHOULD BE PAID! Doing favors for others will NOT do any favors for yourself!!

Now geeks, if I didn't love ya, I wouldn't nag ;)

I have never had a problem retailing.

I sell products like they are a prescription- if they want the long term love, they have to do their homework- I kind of make it a non-option. I have learned that people LIKE being told what to do lol- You hand them something and say, you are buying this, this is why, and never have I had a client say no.

For those of you that are too nice to their clients... How in the HECK are you making any money?? You need to seperate your business from your personal life STAT, and if your so called client "friends" don't understand and get pissy, then they are USING you and are not your friends in the first place.

My REAL friends know that this is my JOB, that I need to make a living, and that my TIME is MONEY. Anyone that doesn't understand that isn't worth being friends with. They are only out for themselves. I CANNOT stress this enough!!! This is a SALES and SERVICE business, and if you want to make it, and on a better salary than working at McDonald's, you better get the mindset to better run your business. It's eat or be eaten, and none of us can afford to let customers walk all over us because we don't have the nerve to hurt their feelings. We don't go to their place of work and ask for discounts or freebies do we?? Nope- and bet your bootie they would be offended if we asked them to. It's their livelyhood! Unless what you are doing is a hobby, it's YOUR livelyhood too.

Sorry for ranting, but MAN, you guys need to stop undercutting yourselves!!!

GET WHAT YOU ARE WORTH! BE PAID WHAT YOU SHOULD BE PAID! Doing favors for others will NOT do any favors for yourself!!

Now geeks, if I didn't love ya, I wouldn't nag ;)

I personally am totally resistant to this aggressive and, to me, patronising form of salesmanship.

I can and do retail to my clients but I would not dream of telling them what to buy.

This may work for you Heather but I don't feel we all have to behave like this and I don't need the lecture

OOH Adele I am not intending to be patronising or overly aggressive. I don't sell things to people to make money- I sell products to HELP me and the CLIENT save money later! I just re-read my post and it does seem kind of obnoxious in print- but I am never rude or pushy with my clients- and don't need to be. I also always have "goodies" such as solar oil mini's and mini Scentsations bottles for gifts to my regulars, I give them out with new sets. Mainly I see a problem, and give them a solution. When you educate the client, there is no need to push, and thats my whole theory.

I lectured a little I guess because I am constantly seeing threads where techs who do this undercutting of their own business can't afford to pay their own bills, and this overall leads many consumers to believe that what we do is a hobby, a side gig. What I do in this business is HUGE to me, and one of my long term goals is to change the perception of our chosen career path that the public has. This is my CAREER, and it's paid me well, taken care of me and my 2 kids, and even my husband for a short time a while back. It's allowed me to pay for school ( I am working on a BA in Journalism), daycare, and a car payment, not to mention my rent, and an occasional shopping spree.

I just want everyone that works in this industry to know that these things are possible, and easily so, if they only have the confidence to not drop the freebies, and do little favors here and there that end up being expensive to their business.

I HAVE LOVE FOR MY FELLOW GEEKS! I know, I'm very long winded, and I am also opinionated, but I would hate to be offensive to any of ya- :) Apologies if I have been, and please know I have only the best intentions ;)

I do my best to promote the products I use, and sometimes it works but you know what they say ... you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!

I sell cuticle oils as everyone does, but have to say i rarely sell anything else apart from the odd cuticle love, nail treatment or polish.

I have never been a retailer in that sense and probably should, but from past experience, my clients just won't buy anything else other than the treament they are having.

Maybe i should be more insistant, but i just don't do it.:)

My sister reckons i could sell sand to an Arab in the dessert,so why is my retail not as good as it should be ?

Well partly down to me,i have my regulars,the number of which have doubled since sept when i did a creative induction,prior to that i had very poor training.

I have not and do not intend to advertise,right now i work solely on word of mouth.

The reason being i am relocating and would rather put the cash into advertising then.

Although my clients think my prices are fair,i live in what is classed as a "deprived" area,my clients are not so well off and will only stretch to solar oil and an occasional enamel,even the solar oil tend to be pinkies.This works out more expensive in the long run for them,but not as noticeable.

When we move i will invest in plenty of retail products and i also plan to do the retail course,.

Why should i limit my potential earnings ?

To my knowledge so far there is not one nail technician in the new area,so i will make sure i use that to maximise my reatil potential.

This is so interesting. I am beauty & nail tech and have worked in salons and for myself in my own salon and mobile again.

When I worked in salon I found it sooo much easier to sell to a client and did really well in a non-pushy but helpful way. I think my success came from the fact that I wasnt selling to make money for me but a genuine solution to a specific problem for my client. I felt no guilt and was pleased I made my client happy. BUT.

When I had my own salon I could not sell for toffee - I felt that the client was paying me for a service and felt so guilty selling to them to yet give me MORE money. I know that retailing pays your bills. But I couldnt do it. I felt hard sell.

Why could I sell for someone else yet fail to do so when I had my own salon?

This is so interesting. I am beauty & nail tech and have worked in salons and for myself in my own salon and mobile again.

When I worked in salon I found it sooo much easier to sell to a client and did really well in a non-pushy but helpful way. I think my success came from the fact that I wasnt selling to make money for me but a genuine solution to a specific problem for my client. I felt no guilt and was pleased I made my client happy. BUT.

When I had my own salon I could not sell for toffee - I felt that the client was paying me for a service and felt so guilty selling to them to yet give me MORE money. I know that retailing pays your bills. But I couldnt do it. I felt hard sell.

Why could I sell for someone else yet fail to do so when I had my own salon?

I do think this is common. I have been told I should be using this shampoo, that hand cream etc and it makes me cringe, so impeded my retail abilities.

I found that by testing things on myself I could talk confidently about the qualities of a number of items that I will happily sell and found this has been very successful

I dont have a problem at all with retailing.

I dont push products onto my clients though,I hate it with a vengence when I go for a facial and the therapist starts giving me lists of ingredients and benefits of the facial products she is using on m skin.So now I always tell them that I am a beauty therapist and that I am more than happy with my skin care products and regime.This shuts them up.

When I do facials myself I take this into account and tell them what I will be using,what their benefits are etc at the start of the facial,then, "peace" throughout their treatment.

If its a client who comes in needing a remedial nail treatment for example I will tell them what they need to use at home to keep on top of their problems.

I dont like the hard sell,but part of our job is to advise clients on what treatments/products are best for them so this is what I do,never in a pushy manner though as this scares people.

Knowing your products helps you to sell,I use all the brands we use in the salon at home,this really helps me.I know all the key ingredients,just knowing say, 3 from each product helps hugely.

Take samples of each product home with you,have a feel of each product on your skin or nails,see and feel the benefits and then selling will be a doddle because if you believe in the things you are selling, this is half the battle in selling.HTH

Its a case of telling the client what they need and why, not neccessarily what you want to sell them.

OOH Adele I am not intending to be patronising or overly aggressive. I don't sell things to people to make money- I sell products to HELP me and the CLIENT save money later! I just re-read my post and it does seem kind of obnoxious in print- but I am never rude or pushy with my clients- and don't need to be. I also always have "goodies" such as solar oil mini's and mini Scentsations bottles for gifts to my regulars, I give them out with new sets. Mainly I see a problem, and give them a solution. When you educate the client, there is no need to push, and thats my whole theory.

I lectured a little I guess because I am constantly seeing threads where techs who do this undercutting of their own business can't afford to pay their own bills, and this overall leads many consumers to believe that what we do is a hobby, a side gig. What I do in this business is HUGE to me, and one of my long term goals is to change the perception of our chosen career path that the public has. This is my CAREER, and it's paid me well, taken care of me and my 2 kids, and even my husband for a short time a while back. It's allowed me to pay for school ( I am working on a BA in Journalism), daycare, and a car payment, not to mention my rent, and an occasional shopping spree.

I just want everyone that works in this industry to know that these things are possible, and easily so, if they only have the confidence to not drop the freebies, and do little favors here and there that end up being expensive to their business.

I HAVE LOVE FOR MY FELLOW GEEKS! I know, I'm very long winded, and I am also opinionated, but I would hate to be offensive to any of ya- :) Apologies if I have been, and please know I have only the best intentions ;)

No offence taken here:hug:

I only stock things that I know work and will benefit the client. They are often looking for advice (I know I am when I go to the hairdressers etc).

I research like mad before taking on a product to retail.

Although my client base is only 3 months old I know that they are beginning to trust me, believe that I am telling them the truth and that they will benefit from my experience. I have no problem sharing this with my clients, after all it is to their benefit.

I don't pressurize my clients to buy retail products, but I do talk about them alot. If I'm using a product on them that is a retail item, I explain what the benefits are. That tends to do the trick. I'm lucky enough to have clients that listen.
Clients are not stupid and they know when a product is being pushed on to them. So it's a case of, tell them all about it and leave them to make their decision. If I show that I believe in a product, they will become interested enough to buy it.

Iv heard so many times that its not the product your trying to sell but the benefits...still cant get that across...Im a good conversationilist but crikey when it comes to product info - Im pants all the way!!

i HATE pushy salesmen/women i too CRINGE when i go to the hairdressers and they try the HARD SELL....makes me even more adamant to NOT BUY:green:

I am crap at retailing, i do sell the solar range but other than that its pretty much ZILCH.

AMb x

Latest posts

Back