Mineral makeup - what do you personally use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronzewolf

Reaction score
What sort of mineral makeup do you ladies use on yourselves?
I really like elemental beauty range but i wish that they made their foundations and blushers either in sifter jars or baked and pressed.
I have tried lily lilo and not keen on them and i like MAC's skinfinish natural range cause its pressed and baked but i dont want to have to fork out £20 for a foundation.... are there any other mineral makup ranges out there that do pressed products.. i hate spilling powder all over the place.

The reason why the 100% pure minerals are so pure is that they dont contain any of the ingredients needed to have them pressed, i know it can be messy, i suggest just to pierce od couple of holes in the paper when you first open the product, instead of peeling off the sticker.

Plus i always apply it in the bathroom :)

My favoutite is I.d Bare Essentuals x

unfortunately the BE range contains bismuth oxychloride. I have heard good things about Everyday Minerals but i dont think you can get it here in the UK, also does anyone use afterglow minerals, maybe i will just have to stick to powders, hopefully in sifter jars..

Last edited:
What is it that you dont like about Lily Lolo?

If you want a true 100% mineral product then they cant be pressed or I believe made into liquid form which is a shame.

Also be careful about some over the counter brands as even though they state they are mineral products they have other ingredients in them too which makes them not true 100% mineral. This is the case with makeup brands (even the high quality ones) that are not traditionally from a mineral background.

Have you looked at Jane Iredale? I think they are very pure minerals and the foundations come as powder, pressed or liquid. Defiately worth having a look.

Jane Iredale make a pressed minera base but its RRP £39.00 so double what you already want to pay.

Im sure you already know but if you want good quality make up then £20 is about right.

unfortunately the BE range contains bismuth oxychloride. I have heard good things about Everyday Minerals but i dont think you can get it here in the UK, also does anyone use afterglow minerals, maybe i will just have to stick to powders, hopefully in sifter jars..

Have you had a reaction when using products containing bismuth oxychloride is the past, as far as i'm aware all it does is give that dewey glow appearance, but i might be wrong, it's good to know. Is it in all of their products?

What is bismuth oxychloride?

Bismuth oxychloride is a natural ingredient found in the majority of mineral cosmetics. It is the main irritant in some brands of mineral cosmetics that often causes itching, rashes and mild to severe cystic acne. This is extremely unfortunate since many women are attracted to mineral cosmetics due to their reputation for being good for sensitive skin. If you choose a mineral cosmetic that includes bismuth oxychloride it may cause additional irritation. If you have had a reaction to mineral cosmetics in the past it is likely because of the bismuth oxychloride in the product. Afterglow Mineral Cosmetics understands your need for a mineral cosmetic without irritating ingredients like bismuth oxychloride. None of Afterglow's products contain bismuth oxychloride.
Where does bismuth oxychloride come from?
Bismuth oxychloride is not an ingredient you find very often in natural circumstances. It is a by-product of copper and lead refining and it can be found on the periodic table too. What may surprise you is that bismuth oxychloride resembles arsenic and antimony chemically. It is also considered a heavy metal. Cosmetically, bismuth oxychloride is considered a pearlizing agent and produces a high shine. In addition, when applied to the skin as a foundation, bismuth oxychloride often has an unnatural glowy finish. Many women find this strange 'glowy' finish produced by bismuth oxychloride unappealing. Bismuth oxychloride also has a very soft, almost slipery feel.

personally yes my skin itches like crazy with this stuff in the product

I cannot find any product ingredients on their uk or usa site, compared to so many other mineral makeup sites that do.

I have been told that you only need about 1% of mineral content to be classified as a mineral makeup or something like that anyway.... your right really there should only be like 5 ingredients or so if that....

as far as not liking them i should not be so harsh really.
Their sample bags bugged me, (first impressions i guess)difficult to get product out and big wastage. EB came in a vial with a lid
A blusher i sampled does not exist anymore
Peepo did nothing for my dark circles under my eyes
Elemental beauty gives you a' choice of a soft focus finish or a healing(allatonin) finish on your foundations, meaning you dont have to order a seperate matt or dewy finishing powder.

What is it that you dont like about Lily Lolo?

If you want a true 100% mineral product then they cant be pressed or I believe made into liquid form which is a shame.

Also be careful about some over the counter brands as even though they state they are mineral products they have other ingredients in them too which makes them not true 100% mineral. This is the case with makeup brands (even the high quality ones) that are not traditionally from a mineral background.

Oh thats a shame!!!, i have never had anyone who has had any problems at all with BE. I hadn't heard of it until now, good to know though thanks xx

Cozmetic Labs mineral makeup is absolutely pure with no bismuth oxychloride, or any other nasties. I've never wasted an ounce, even though it's not pressed. You just tip a tiny little bit into the lid, et voila!

I use Lily Lolo and love it. I don't find it messy now I'm used to it, I gently shake the pot upside down with the lid on then unscrew the pot leaving the upside down lid on my hand. Then I apply with my brush from the lid..... I wouldn't use anything else on my face.

Hth's

I have been told that you only need about 1% of mineral content to be classified as a mineral makeup or something like that anyway.... your right really there should only be like 5 ingredients or so if that....

as far as not liking them i should not be so harsh really.
Their sample bags bugged me, (first impressions i guess)difficult to get product out and big wastage. EB came in a vial with a lid
A blusher i sampled does not exist anymore
Peepo did nothing for my dark circles under my eyes
Elemental beauty gives you a' choice of a soft focus finish or a healing(allatonin) finish on your foundations, meaning you dont have to order a seperate matt or dewy finishing powder.

I was talking to a rep from i.d Bare Essentuals the other day, and she told me that BE was still the only one on the market that was 100% pure, i'll have to pick her brains about it xx

does cosmetic lab come in sifter pots?

i shall have a squizz a their site, do they offer samples too? another prob is matching colours for foundation i cannot find any colour that matches my face..ha

They do indeed offer samples. So far I've not had a problem matching any skin tone as it blends so well.

I was talking to a rep from i.d Bare Essentuals the other day, and she told me that BE was still the only one on the market that was 100% pure, i'll have to pick her brains about it xx

BE are Enriched Mineral Make up. Anything that contains Bysmuth Oxchloride, talc, perfume ect, is enriched and not a TRUE mineral make up. Try Krush Minerals, its a True Mineral make up range x
Posted via Mobile Device

I have used Lily Lolo on myself for a couple of years and have placed an opening order to stock the range in my salon. I really like their products and they go on easily - very nice colours too!

Latest posts

Back