Mum, heroin and me - massage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bexi

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I don't know if anyone else watched Mum, heroin and me last night on channel 4. but I have a question. All other feelings aside, how would you feel about massaging a heroin addict?

On the show her mum bought her a massage - however is this safe? she had thrombosis in her arms?

Just a question I wanted to know the answer to:

Becki xxx

On the show her mum bought her a massage - however is this safe? she had thrombosis in her arms?

Just a question I wanted to know the answer to:

Becki xxx

Thrombosis is a contraindication to massage, it is a blood clot in a vein. If the arms were massaged then it may dislodge the clot and travel up the veins and damaged vital organs such as heart, lungs etc

sorry i worded my question wrong - i wanted to know if you would massage a heroin addict?

Hi, I would say No. You cannot treat someone under the influence of Alcohol so the same goes for drugs. I feel professional advise needs to be given on this one I have very little knowledge on drugs but met someone today in the city centre telling me to watch out for the snakes !!!!!!

Thrombosis is a contraindication to massage, it is a blood clot in a vein. If the arms were massaged then it may dislodge the clot and travel up the veins and damaged vital organs such as heart, lungs etc

Thats just what i was going to put ! also the clots stop in the body even after a year from injecting but most client wounld'nt tell you there past if you asked them. no i wouldnt !

I must admit to thinking:eek: but she clearly wasn't honest with her therapist (assuming a consultation was carried out). With thrombosis YES she was contra indicated and if she had taken drugs then she was contra indicated.

It was a very sad and heart wrenching documentary.

I don't think she would have had her massage carried out for various reasons - fresh needle marks on her body and the fact that she was obviously under the influence of drugs. Her mum probably wasn't aware of the implications when she booked the appointment. We don't normally go through contra-indications until the consultation at appointment.

Hi, I would say No. You cannot treat someone under the influence of Alcohol so the same goes for drugs. I feel professional advise needs to be given on this one I have very little knowledge on drugs but met someone today in the city centre telling me to watch out for the snakes !!!!!!

I'd be interesting to see what a Dr said about the effects of being a heroin addict and the physical effects in relation to massage. I've never come across this before but I doubt that many clients would actually admit to being a heroin addict - or any other drug for that matter.

Also in relation to the thrombosis. The comment was made about it travelling and damaging vital organs. Not to mention that fact that clots kill people. Also, if someone is on blood thinners (eg warfarin) for thrombosis that's also contra-indicated, even if the blood thinners have dissolved the clots.

I wouldn't touch the person unless they had a letter from their Dr stating that they are ok to massage - on both accounts - the drugs and once the thrombosis has cleared.

How would you know?, depends on how long you have been in the business. Not everyone announces their afflictions or conditions.

You may have already massaged a herion addict, a meth user, a prostitute, a transexual, a homosexual, someone with hepatitis, someone with herpes and someone with HIV.
All without your knowledge.

There's lots of people that make up this world

Guess you'll be scrubbing your hands tonight .......

I don't think Transexuals or homosexuals are ever contraindicated.
If someone had obvious user signs.if i could see open sores,infected veins signs of withdrawal then of course you shouldn't do them but if all was well on the outside as Carl says you wouldn't know if they didnt tell you.
Would i do a heroin addict if their skin was clear and they were seemingly healthy and yet i knew what they were i really don't know.
Ive done just about everyone else Carl mentioned..ive had a long career :).

I must admit to thinking:eek: but she clearly wasn't honest with her therapist (assuming a consultation was carried out). With thrombosis YES she was contra indicated and if she had taken drugs then she was contra indicated.

No hand scrubbing here:)

My only concern is the welfare of my client and I can only assess the treatment if they are honest with me. If not, then they run the risk of worsening their condition.

I have no problem massaging any client who is not contra indicated whilst always taking the necessary precautions to protect BOTH therir health and my own.

My only concern would be harming the client. Mind you, I have had plenty of clients lie during their consultation then months later they let something slip. Fortunately no-one had died on my couch yet:eek:

sorry for sounding stupid but why couldnt you massage a transexual or a gay person ? sorry in advance for being an idiot.

My only concern would be harming the client. Mind you, I have had plenty of clients lie during their consultation then months later they let something slip. Fortunately no-one had died on my couch yet:eek:
Once the initial medical form is filled in, anything they haven't disclosed won't be on the form so if there's any problems down the track, you can only go by what they have told you. They fill in the form and sign it with the disclaimer that they have filled it in truthfully and haven't omitted anything. If I have anyone come back in the future trying to sue me from complications then I have their form in their handwriting so I should be covered.

How would you know?, depends on how long you have been in the business. Not everyone announces their afflictions or conditions.

You may have already massaged a herion addict, a meth user, a prostitute, a transexual, a homosexual, someone with hepatitis, someone with herpes and someone with HIV.
All without your knowledge.

There's lots of people that make up this world

Guess you'll be scrubbing your hands tonight .......

Maybe I've missed something. I thought the purpose of this thread was about whether being a known heroin addict with thrombosis is a contra-indication to massage - which clearly it is for medical reasons.

I don't understand why the above references have been bought into this.

Maybe I've missed something. I thought the purpose of this thread was about whether being a known heroin addict with thrombosis is a contra-indication to massage - which clearly it is for medical reasons.

I don't understand why the above references have been bought into this.

If the answer is so clear..... why ask the question?

What I was referring to is the fact you will treat many people, from many backgrounds, with many conditions you know nothing about.

It's also hinting on discrimination, if they were a heroin addict without any contra indications .... would you still do them?

There are also many people that have conditions they don't know they have .....

I also would meet (deal with) more heroin addicts per day than anyone else in here ......and my experiences with them are not pleasant (for me or them).

Just to give you the heads up, most heroin addicts are theives, liars and make your business look bad when they nod off, bump into walls and talk shyte to your respectable clients (make sure you get their money first and NEVER leave them alone) they will steal anything that is not welded to a surface ...... if you do one junkie, you will loose 10 decent clients.

I speak from experience and as you may be able to tell by now, I have very little sympathy for them.

Last edited:
sorry for sounding stupid but why couldnt you massage a transexual or a gay person ? sorry in advance for being an idiot.

Unless a transexual or homosexual is MEDICALLY contra indicated there is absolutely NO reason whatsoever to refuse a treatment and I cannot imagine ANY professional doing so.

To refuse for another reason IS discrimination and absolutely disgusting and appalling behaviour:irked:

rant over

Last edited:
Unless a transexual or homosexual is MEDICALLY contra indicated there is absolutely NO reason whatsoever to refuse a treatment and I cannot imagine ANY professional doing so.

To refuse for another reason IS discrimination and absolutely disgusting and appalling behaviour:irked:

rant over

It was me that mentioned it in the first place ...... and how it was intended was ........... you never know who you are dealing with, thier background, lifestyle etc.

There's enough posts in regard to having a fear of doing men, or having a service done by a male to kinda prove my point.

You rely upon people telling you the truth (it was a broad generalisation) in regard to the many people that make up this world and no offense was meant (i'm a rampant homosexual myself .... but I'm the only gay in my village).

You may not like the idea of herpes, but you've probably had a client with it.

You may not like the idea of ?, but you've probably already done one or had one.

I don't discriminate, but I am discerning.

Junkies ain't on my list of desirable clients.

If I didn't know they were, I may accidentally do them, but i'm not silly, I can spot them a mile off .... lets just say (once bitten, twice shy).

Last edited:
It was me that mentioned it in the first place ...... and how it was intended was ........... you never know who you are dealing with, thier background, lifestyle etc.

You rely upon people telling you the truth (it was a broad generalisation) in regard to the many people that make up this world and no offense was meant (i'm a rampant homosexual myself .... but I'm the only gay in my village).

You may not like the idea of herpes, but you've probably had a client with it.

You may not like the idea of ?, but you've probably already done one or had one.

I don't discriminate, but I am discerning.

Junkies ain't on my list of desirable clients.

If I didn't know they were, I may accidentally do them, but i'm not silly, I can spot them a mile off .... lets just say (once bitten, twice shy).

No I totally got where you were coming from:hug:

By discrimination I meant against lifestyle choices.

Choosing to avoid treating ANY clients (with or without addictions)who will utimately damage your business by stealing or driving other clients away is business savvy in my opinion.

Last edited:
Haven't read the whole thread but I would think with the open wounds from injecting heroin that that is a contraindication and you could contract something possibly from coming into contact with someone who injects and may have blood on their skin.

Latest posts

Back