Music to play while treating clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruth Mills

Reaction score
Just wondered what music people like to play in the background while treating clients - do you have relaxing music for facials, massage, etc, and more up-beat music for other treatments? Any particular favourite artists, bands or styles?

Am just wondering as I am a bit of a music nut and quite a fan of New Age and chill out music.

Capital Life is always on, no talking just music, something old, something new, something for everyone, apart from metalheads!:eek:

If you play music in the Salon, whether CD, or radio you must have a license to do this!
It's called a PRS (performing Rights Society), or PPL (Public Performance License.
I used to work for a radio station and if I visited anywhere on my patch, I'd have to tell them about this if they were playing our station!:irked:

Oh yes...it costs you too!

I work from my home salon & don't play music, I chat instead! I have had 2 calls from the PRS in 2 yrs and when I tell them I work from home they don't bother.

If you play music in the Salon, whether CD, or radio you must have a license to do this!
It's called a PRS (performing Rights Society), or PPL (Public Performance License.
I used to work for a radio station and if I visited anywhere on my patch, I'd have to tell them about this if they were playing our station!:irked:

I work from my home salon & don't play music, I chat instead! I have had 2 calls from the PRS in 2 yrs and when I tell them I work from home they don't bother.

Good point, I didn't think of that! Doesn't affect me personally as I don't run a salon but it's one of those things that you might not realise, especially as it's not like a pub or club where you'd pay to hear music.

I had a selection whilst in the salon - chris de burgh and mike oldfield for the older ladies (they used to love that!) and morcheeba and portishead for the younger ones, plus a few generic chill outs, the japanese zen ones were lovely!

I had a selection whilst in the salon - chris de burgh and mike oldfield for the older ladies (they used to love that!) and morcheeba and portishead for the younger ones, plus a few generic chill outs, the japanese zen ones were lovely!

Mike Oldfield especially gets my vote - any albums of his in particular that you like? Have you heard any albums by his brother Terry? He's done some really nice chilled out stuff. We're Portishead fans here too; I like Morcheeba as well, but don't know their music so well. What's the Japanese Zen music like, and who's it by? Haven't heard of that yet...

Well I used to have my table in a tattoo and piercing place, so my ladies used to 'put up with' death metal and punk most days
If they were lucky it was just me and Kirsty and then they got treated to a bit of Bowie or something else to sing along to, and yes we did encourage our clients to sing:green:

Marti Pellow gets my vote anytime, he does some beautiful relaxing chilling music, his last album 'Moonlight over memphis' is just totally awesome, and he is bringing a new album out in the spring called 'Sentimental me' songs for lovers, now I cant wait to hear that:)

can ya guess I'm a Marti / Wet Wet Wet fan:lol:

I work from my Home Salon, and my radio is in my kitchen, it just happens to be heard by my clients!:)

when im treating clients, if they are having waxing or the more 'cosmetic' treatments i have music playing in the background while we chat. current faves are;
Feist
Newton Faulkener
Adele
Kate Nash
KT Tunstal
Dallas Green / City and colour

When im doing therapeutic treatments i play;
Reiki Gold by Llewellyn
Chinese flutey music (dunno who its by)

However, When i am having my treatments done, i like to listen to rock and alternative music. The guy i go to is into the same music as me, so we can share cd's and stuff!! lol. Last time it was 30 seconds to mars, time before we just listened to kerrang. but because its music i like, i actually fall asleep.:green:

we have on norah jones, david gray, enya, all depends what treatment i am doing! and sometimes the radio... xx

Do you play music in your salon/nailroom? If so do you choose something very relaxing or something more upbeat? Maybe you vary it depending on the client? :green:

we just have the radio on in the nail bar but in the treatment room we have relaxing music, i'd fall asleep if i had 2 listen to it all day!

I'm mobile so don't have to think about this, but if you play music in any salon setting at all you need a licence (Performing Rights Society or something.....).

I'll see if I can find the cost and add it here if I can......

Edit: according to the website it's £66.94 + VAT per year

Mike Oldfield especially gets my vote - any albums of his in particular that you like? Have you heard any albums by his brother Terry? He's done some really nice chilled out stuff. We're Portishead fans here too; I like Morcheeba as well, but don't know their music so well. What's the Japanese Zen music like, and who's it by? Haven't heard of that yet...

heya chicken sorry for thr late reply, I dont know what the mike oldfield cd is called that I used to play as it's burnt, and just had his name written on it! The japanese zen cd is lovely, all tinkly, and, er, japanese! I cannot remember the name of it but next time I get my cd chilly outty case out I will have a look and let you know. Lots of clients used to comment on how different it was and they used to ask me to make them a copy lol.

Mind you if I had my way I'd be playing Green Day or Metallica but I don't think that would have gone down to well lol! And no, I've never heard of Terry Oldfield, will be sure to check him out :)

I'm mobile so don't have to think about this, but if you play music in any salon setting at all you need a licence (Performing Rights Society or something.....).

I'll see if I can find the cost and add it here if I can......

Edit: according to the website it's £66.94 + VAT per year

flippin eck! cant believe you have to buy a licence to play a bit of background music! Thats just ridiculous! Does anyone atually buy one! lol

flippin eck! cant believe you have to buy a licence to play a bit of background music! Thats just ridiculous! Does anyone atually buy one! lol

Here's a link to the website FAQs Your questions answered and here is the answer to the 'what happens if I don't get one' question:

PRS will take all reasonable steps to ensure those playing copyright music in public are made aware of the need for a licence.
We have representatives in and around the UK who visit public premises to assess potential licensing requirements and we regularly contact businesses to help ensure they are not infringing copyright.
Failure to obtain a licence for the use of music in public may result in civil action against you for copyright infringement and you may be liable to pay damages and costs.
A PRS licence is required for playing music under the terms of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.

hth's

Here's a link to the website FAQs Your questions answered and here is the answer to the 'what happens if I don't get one' question:

PRS will take all reasonable steps to ensure those playing copyright music in public are made aware of the need for a licence.
We have representatives in and around the UK who visit public premises to assess potential licensing requirements and we regularly contact businesses to help ensure they are not infringing copyright.
Failure to obtain a licence for the use of music in public may result in civil action against you for copyright infringement and you may be liable to pay damages and costs.
A PRS licence is required for playing music under the terms of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.

hth's

It does say any premises away from home so surely it dont effect home based technicians which isnt so bad, and i can understand it in certain places but generally to me It still seems like a ludicrous rule jmo

It does say any premises away from home so surely it dont effect home based technicians which isnt so bad, and i can understand it in certain places but generally to me It still seems like a ludicrous rule jmo

When I spoke to them last year I was under the impression that home salons were subject to the same rules......

Latest posts

Back