My nails keep falling off!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nats nails

Reaction score
hello people! i av never done this before so excuse any mistakes i make!!

...... i av just started doin acrylic nails on my friends and family, i did my research, but it seems that my nails are falling off after a few days. they seem to b peeling away from the cuticle area, and just pulling off! im not sure y this is happening so any advice is great!! any tips!! help please!!

....... do i need to apply more primer? do i need a thicker solution?

....... am i suppose to file the nail bed first? i hear that helps? almost like sandin down the nails before applyin the nails and solution!?

.... im so confused:irked: help me please!!

Hiya ... It could be down to lots of things ... Prep being the main problem. Your profile doesn't mention what training you had...?

Hi, is your product applied too thick around cuticle area?

...... i av just started doin acrylic nails on my friends and family, i did my research, but it seems that my nails are falling off after a few days. they seem to b peeling away from the cuticle area, and just pulling off! im not sure y this is happening so any advice is great!! any tips!! help please!!

....... am i suppose to file the nail bed first? i hear that helps? almost like sandin down the nails before applyin the nails and solution!?

Hi Nats firstly have you had any previous training? If you havent....you need to get some good training with a reputable company before you think about letting yourself loose on anybody....

what products are you using? Are you using products that are designed to work with each other? (the same brand)
what research are you doing? (Not much point learning incorrect information..and there is plenty of incorrect info out there!)

You must not file the nail bed as this will cause damage....you only need remove the shine with a high grit file.

Are you preparing the nail? (removing the cuticle from the nail plate)

When you say 'peeling away' ....do you mean the product has lifted...allowing them to be picked off....picking product off will cause nail damage.

There are all kinds of reasons why you may be having these problems...(preparation, application....the products themselves, etc etc)...it would be more helpful if you could say what training you have/havent had and what products you are using and how you use them? :hug:

Ever thought of having classes? In some countries you are required by law to be fully qualified before you start applying potentially harmful chemicals to other human beings. Theres more to it than just application, im sorry but its true. To start, youre asking how to carry out a basic prep. And for gods sake, be careful with the primer! Thats almost pure methacrylic acid, at least in the brand i use!
You haven't included in your your post what brand of products you use either(supposed to go in "systems" in your profile), most artifical nails are essentially acrylic, be they gel, liquid/powder or biogel.
Consider yourself warned; meddling with these products without any form of guidance can result in seriously damaging your own and your friends natural/real nails for life. Some people have experienced their natural nails simply falling off due to bad product application, and the new nail growing back in its place permanently deformed.

Im sorry about my lack of enthusiasm in my reply, but in this community asking that kind of question without any basic knowledge is basically an insult. How do you expect to simply do something that has cost all of us months, tears and money to learn? Did you build your own car as well?

Ever thought of having classes? In some countries you are required by law to be fully qualified before you start applying potentially harmful chemicals to other human beings. Theres more to it than just application, im sorry but its true. To start, youre asking how to carry out a basic prep. And for gods sake, be careful with the primer! Thats almost pure methacrylic acid, at least in the brand i use!
You haven't included in your your post what brand of products you use either(supposed to go in "systems" in your profile), most artifical nails are essentially acrylic, be they gel, liquid/powder or biogel.
Consider yourself warned; meddling with these products without any form of guidance can result in seriously damaging your own and your friends natural/real nails for life. Some people have experienced their natural nails simply falling off due to bad product application, and the new nail growing back in its place permanently deformed.

Im sorry about my lack of enthusiasm in my reply, but in this community asking that kind of question without any basic knowledge is basically an insult. How do you expect to simply do something that has cost all of us months, tears and money to learn? Did you build your own car as well?

Hang on a minuite....:) we don't know as yet that Nats Nails hasn't had any training...and even if she hasn't i don't think the above reply is quite as constructive as it could be...we want to encourage, inform and help members on here... not scare people away.

yes i agree! i think we should help her:lol:

Sorry but I agree with Random Presence.

To the trained tech it's clear that the poster of this thread is untrained. R.P has given direct information about the pitfalls and dangers of practising this trade without the necessary training. She has not made any insulting comments, nor has she made any comments that are not constructive.

We as professionals owe it to our industry to be direct with people who have had no training and thus are at risk of performing a dangerous service.

To the poster of this thread - It would be irresponsible for any of the members of this site to give you any advice other than that you should seek proper training before you do any more nails. There's lots of information on this site about the various courses available, and we will all help you as much as possible with any questions you have - provided you are getting the proper training.

Sorry but I agree with Random Presence.

To the trained tech it's clear that the poster of this thread is untrained. R.P has given direct information about the pitfalls and dangers of practising this trade without the necessary training. She has not made any insulting comments, nor has she made any comments that are not constructive.

We as professionals owe it to our industry to be direct with people who have had no training and thus are at risk of performing a dangerous service.

To the poster of this thread - It would be irresponsible for any of the members of this site to give you any advice other than that you should seek proper training before you do any more nails. There's lots of information on this site about the various courses available, and we will all help you as much as possible with any questions you have - provided you are getting the proper training.

With respect, it isn't 100% clear. The indications are there I agree, but its by no means certain. There has been many a trained tech in here asking questions that could imply they didn't train but in reality there is training and then there training and what is taught from course to course, or not as the case may be, varies hugely.

With respect, it isn't 100% clear. The indications are there I agree, but its by no means certain. There has been many a trained tech in here asking questions that could imply they didn't train but in reality there is training and then there training and what is taught from course to course, or not as the case may be, varies hugely.

I disagree. The poster has made various comments which demonstrate a complete absence of training at even the most basic level, not to mention that she has said she is not a nail geek on her profile.
I will of course take back everything I've said if the poster says otherwise.

I read this post earlier today and thought - this has to be a wind up.
It's also a 1st post, which also makes me think it's a wind up.

I'm all for giving genuine, constructive advice to people, but this just seems a bit of a wind up post to me.

If the poster is genuine, then I'll be happy to help. I read the ;empty' profile page and thought when it's filled in, as has been asked, then I'll be happy to help.

Yes, we all have to start somewhere and all that, I was pants until I found this site - and I had paid good money for my initial training. When I started to read the info on here I was very embarrassed at the training I had paid good money for, but I still knew lots of basic info.
This poster does not seem to know much at all, or is scared of using 'terminology' in case it's wrong as she's only just 'got into' nails.

Fill out your info 'Nats' on the profile page, with a more thorough description and we'll help all we can:hug:.

I disagree. The poster has made various comments which demonstrate a complete absence of training at even the most basic level, not to mention that she has said she is not a nail geek on her profile.
I will of course take back everything I've said if the poster says otherwise.

I can think of posts since I joined that have had Geeks scratching their heads and asking why, given the training by a top trainer the posters were known to have, how the questions asked could come up but they did. It happens. I'm not saying Nats has trained, I am saying that until she says otherwise its not fair to assume she didn't.

Thats just my opinion :hug::hug:

I don't know about you other geeks, but there seems to be an influx of people just being quite frankly prevocative? I agree it seems to be a wind up.

I've been drawn into the arguements over the past few days and now I just want to scream!

Maybe i'm in another miserable mood, but for pete's sake. I agree with 'chelle, there is no training and no defence.

Hi huni,
now lets see, who did you train with? Most trainers will provide a good after training support for troubleshooting. So maybe getting in touch with your trainer will be a fab idea.
In the mean time:
Your problem is either a not sufficient prep and that doesn't mean sanding down the nail plate. This is something we do not do. Good products like keratin and will adhere like a magnet if your prep is spot on. This way there is nothing standing in the way of your product bonding with the nail plate.
Lifting and peeling is caused by the wrong ratio and applying the product to close to the cuticle area and sidewalls.

Primer will not help if your ratio is out of wack or there is non living tissue left on the nail.

Now if you haven't had any training (by the choice of you terminology I assume you haven't been professionally trained) I would suggest that you go that route, good sound training will be able to help you to produce good sound nails. DIY training is not the way to go, there are to many things that can go wrong, no matter how much research you have done, just reading about how to apply is not going to teach you the technique.

Just my humble oppinion xxxx

I am agreeing with Bev Rose here..... it is a wind up!!!!!.... if she has read any of previous threads/post... she would not have been making such broad questions....
i have asked some dumb questions in my time here but these are nails 101....

My point is that she wasn't even given the chance to answer if she had had any training before she got pounced on...no wonder she hasn't replied again.

How can you be sure its a wind up....? do we now get suspicious of every newbie that posts like this.

Maybe she hasn't done any training....but nothing in her post was rude or "look how clever i am"....wouldnt it have been better to simply ask what training she has had (like i did at the beginning) and wait for a reply....then move on with ways to help guide her to training.

I don't think her questions where dumb at all....they were ill educated....and i have seen many of those on here even from people who have had training !

Last edited:
My point is that she wasn't even given the chance to answer if she had had any training before she got pounced on...no wonder she hasn't replied again.

How can you be sure its a wind up....? do we now get suspicious of every newbie that posts like this.

Maybe she hasn't done any training....but nothing in her post was rude or "look how clever i am"....wouldnt it have been better to simply ask what training she has had (like i did at the beginning) and wait for a reply....then move on with ways to help guide her to training.

I don't think her questions where dumb at all....they were ill educated....and i have seen many of those on here even from people who have had training !

Just to add, I doubt very much she'll be back now.

I totallly agree with bagpuss.

Im sorry but sometimes some of you geeks come accross like a pack of wolves!
At least give the girl a chance to reply before tearing her to peices. Sometimes you seem to forget that once (many moons ago perhaps)...you knew nothing about nails either! we all have to start somewhere.
Even if nats nails has not had any training what so ever...does that mean she should be ridiculed....would it not be best to offer more friendly advice and guidance ??? :eek:

When you dont know anything about nails but you know that you want to do nails...you dont always realise about the kind of training that is needed....or anything elses either..I would say the majority of people (prior to any kind of learning) had absolutely no idea or very little idea of how much 'nails' entails..training, competitions, products, chemicals, professionals, non-proffesionals...god the list can go on.

I know for a fact that all of my friends and family had no idea how much there was to nails until I told them (and they still dont really get it!) and I myself a year ago didnt realise either....how would I know if I hadnt got into properly yet? I used to practice and mess about on my own nails with kits from boots...I thought I knew more than I obviously did...I had my nails done at NSS...part of the reason I actually took my messing about further and got proper education....part of the reason I thought it looked quite easy!

Some people simply dont have the money or arent able to get the money together for a long time to get proper education...so what do you do? Wait and do nothing?...or try and do something? Most people want to do it so bad that we might mess about with cheap kits, read a few books, go on a cheap course etc etc you may say thats ignorant...I call it being human.

It is not fair and totally unnessesary to jump on nats like this....why dont you try and act like a TRUE professional and offer her some friendly help, advice and GUIDANCE >>> something we could all use particularly at the beginning.

I hope you can all understand the point I am trying to make here.

Also id like to add that she came on here and asked for help so that she could do it correctly....that in itself is a credit to her for at least trying to find the correct way to do something!

Nats I hope you havent been totally scared off by the select few...do come back on you will find the majority of geeks on here extremely friendly and helpful...we can all point you in the right direction with regards to training or anything else and help you in many ways...and dont forget...you can pm as well.

Can I just add that despite me technically being fully trained that my prep left a lot to be desired. I thought my prep was okay but unfortunately most people that I did enhancements on lost them within a week. :irked:

Anyhoo... it was only once I went to 'Chelle's salon and she did prep on me that I realised that I had only been more or less tickling the nail plate and not actually properly removing the gunk on the nail plate! :smack:

Latest posts

Back