Nail Bars approved by Safe Salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katykitten

Reaction score
I recently had some information in the post about Safe Salons

www.safesalons.co.uk

I'd never heard of them before, but seems like a really good idea! Apparently they come out and inspect your premises and if they are satisfied by your level of qualification, hygiene and working practices your are then added to their website

Has anyone joined this or had any experiences with them? x

Hi
I have never heard of them but I would say it is a great idea as they add you to there free website, Then clients will know that you have had your premises inspected and given the thumbs up... Good Luck... xx

Hey,

There is quite a lot about Safesalons in Scratch magazine. What they're doing is really good and I recommend that you tell as many friends and salon owners as you can.

It's good to see that there is some type of "policing" coming in to help good salons get noticed.

Nail_baby

I looked into it but it was too expensive :irked:

but, if you have to pay to join them then is that a good thing? because if they are taking your cash how can they be perceived as being truly impartial?

I think that regulation and some form of policing is something we need in this country, but if you are handing over money to a company to have your details on their site (even if they are very very strict and have a great code of conduct and ethical policy) would the more cynical client just see this as a clever advertising gimmick?

I dont know, its a tricky one!

but, if you have to pay to join them then is that a good thing? because if they are taking your cash how can they be perceived as being truly impartial?

I think that regulation and some form of policing is something we need in this country, but if you are handing over money to a company to have your details on their site (even if they are very very strict and have a great code of conduct and ethical policy) would the more cynical client just see this as a clever advertising gimmick?

I dont know, its a tricky one!

This is exactly why i decided against joining, if they truly had the best interest of the industry at heart they would not be charging the extortionate price that they do (annual small fee yes)
i see this as another very good money making scam, their idea is a good one but the only people to benefit are the ones running it,
how many clients do any of us have that would even think to look for such a site :rolleyes:

how many clients do any of us have that would even think to look for such a site :rolleyes:

This was my thought when looking at the site

This is exactly why i decided against joining, if they truly had the best interest of the industry at heart they would not be charging the extortionate price that they do (annual small fee yes)
i see this as another very good money making scam, their idea is a good one but the only people to benefit are the ones running it,

same here....i shouldnt have to pay to say that i work safely.....i paid enough money into my training to make sure i was taught correctly and for my insurance (which you only get from doing accredited training)
. The only effective control of salons should come from local councils health and safety.....like they do with restaurants etc.
i appreciate what they are trying to do as in raise the standards in the industry.

Last edited:
I looked into it but it was too expensive :irked:

how can you say its too expensive??? i thought they were very reasonably priced.....surely you want people around you to see you take pride in your work and salon???....this is good advertisement in itself...:)

I have joined and have had an inspection of my salon and my certificates viewed....my work was also viewed.....surely you fellow geeks realise that something like this doesn't run on fresh air????? finances are needed to maintain the site...fuel costs for visiting salons etc..... it ois also advertisment....which in view of advertising costs is very very reasonable....:confused:
This is a good thing and I think we should all support it....it also isn't brand led.....:):hug:

I have joined and have had an inspection of my salon and my certificates viewed....my work was also viewed.....surely you fellow geeks realise that something like this doesn't run on fresh air????? finances are needed to maintain the site...fuel costs for visiting salons etc..... it ois also advertisment....which in view of advertising costs is very very reasonable....:confused:
This is a good thing and I think we should all support it....it also isn't brand led.....:):hug:

i see what your saying and appreciate that there are costs involved....but who recognises it???? Its ok that we recognise it amongst ourselves in the industry (but there are loads that have still not heard of it)....but that is not the point of it is it?? I have yet to meet one person who goes into a salon and has even heard of it...or would even think to look up on a website about whether a salon is 'safe' or not before they go into one.
I really dont want to be seen as someone who is against something or someone trying to improve and raise the standard in salons...i just dont think that this is for me at the moment.....may be it will work for others and wish them the best or luck with it

Last edited:
I just cnat see how someone who takes money can be seen as impartial thats all. I am not against raising standards but I think consumers can be cynical at times and if they knew we had to pay to get them to inspect us, then they might doubt the ethical side of it. I know that everyone needs and must make money, but thats the whole point isnt it?

I wont be joining I'm afraid but i wish anyone who does, every success. xx

how can you say its too expensive??? i thought they were very reasonably priced.....surely you want people around you to see you take pride in your work and salon???....this is good advertisement in itself...:)

Do you not think if I had the extra every month I wouldnt join of course I would !!!?
Maybe my buisness just about ticks over compaired to yours ?

I'm not sure but I have a feeling that the person who started up safe salons is/was closely associated with Ez Flow and now ONS I believe the local councils should be in charge to say if your salon is safe or not. I agree the cost of safe salons is far to expensive and I believe its just a money making racket......

Well, for me personally, I believe my standards and work speak for themselves and I choose not to have to pay someone to say it for me.

I can understand the temptation if this had been a long established list of the elite, as exists in some other industries, but its relatively new, unknown and discussion with some of my clients as to whether it would influence them has proven it certainly wouldn't....my business has grown so far on word of mouth....good, may I add, and I feel that far more worthy than a purchased certificate to say I'm 'clean and good'.

I have seen similar set-ups in other industries fail rather spectacularly in recent years, and I certainly wouldn't wish to associate myself with that.

I would also be very happy to submit to any inspection, by any regulatory body or council at any point, but this is a private company trying to make money. Its a profit making organisation!

I personally believe it slightly wrong that a profit making organisation feels it can take a position within an industry where it effectively places itself on the morale high ground. I wish them well...as I do other 'suppliers', but I don't plan to detract from my pocket, to line theirs, anytime soon.

I guess what we all would like is 'one' governing body that would do it all , we have habia (which imo is the closest we have in the uk as a giving body atm) and safe salons and the guild and we did have ANT, but this is the problem we seem to have lots of groups that are all fighting for the same thing but not always seem to be working as 'one', and then we have many of the main top companies offering great education and support as well... its a tough one but I guess we have to work towards the common goal ... we should all be working in a safe salon .. end off xx

A very inflammatory comment....using words like extortionate and scam, and yet you say it is a good idea!!!
Just because you do not think it is for your business, does not mean that this is not the way forward for others.
How many threads on here have mentioned educating our clients about the dangers of NSS and MMA?....and now you are saying clients are too uneducated to check out a salon before they go.
Should we all give up and go home?:confused:

I'm not sure but I have a feeling that the person who started up safe salons is/was closely associated with Ez Flow and now ONS I believe the local councils should be in charge to say if your salon is safe or not. I agree the cost of safe salons is far to expensive and I believe its just a money making racket......

You say is/was associated with EzFlow as if this was a bad thing!!
The Managing Director of Safe Salons Victoria Smith was a Master Artist Educator with EzFlow, which means she knows her stuff, and has paid her dues within the Nail Industry IMHO.
I have had many dealings with Victoria, and have always been inspired by her passion and enthusiasm for the Nail Industry, and her innate professionalism.
I wish her and her team at Safe Salons every success.

If we wait on the Government, or Local Government to do something about regulating our Industry...we will be waiting a very long time....actually we HAVE been waiting a very, very long time already.

We bleat on and on, on here about raising standards and when someone actually does something about it, because they dare to make it a 'business' and charge for their services all of a sudden we are calling it a racket and a scam.

As far as I am aware Safe salons are working closely with a lot of leading brands in the UK and also Habia.

Therefore if someone was to come on here in the Consumer Forum, asking for a good nail tech in an area, I would be pointing them in the direction of Safe Salons.

I did not say the company was a scam,
i said it was a money making scam where only they would benefit.
No i do not think they should do it for nothing as i put in my post (a small annual fee)
and as for checking qualifications the queen herself could check mine if she wanted to i have no worries,

i have looked into safe salons but was not bowled over by the hype,
the day that a client comes into the salon and mentions safe salons website without any prompting from another therapist is the time i MAY look at it again but until i am not making them any richer.

This is turning into yet another thread where members get shot down for having a opinion of their own.

I did not say the company was a scam,
i said it was a money making scam where only they would benefit.

This is turning into yet another thread where members get shot down for having a opinion of their own.

I am sorry Louise but I don't understand, especially as it is the word Scam that I have taken umbrage to....do you think it is or it isn't :confused: ??

The word scam means a confidence trick or fraudulent scheme....and as I said that is a very inflammatory comment to make, possibly even slanderous/libelous!!

As I often veer from the path of public opinion on here there is no way I would shoot any one down in flames for doing the same thing.

You are entitled to your opinion that Safe Salons is not for your business, you find it too expensive and you are not sure how much custom it will bring in. Fair comment !
BUT to use words like scam as if this is some sort of con, is just not on, you cannot malign someones reputation and business like that.

Do you see where I am coming from??

I do see where you are coming from and i still only see that the people to truly benefit from this are the people taking the money,
hence why i used the yorkshire term of scam,

i know the company is all legal and above board, i was not implying it wasn't (or didn't mean to)
it is a clever money making idea that will not benefit us but only the safe salon company.
They sell membership to this on the understanding that clients will think if you are a member you are better and cleaner than anywhere else,
this is not true,
there are plenty of top class techs out there with spot less salons and fantastic working practises that are not a member so does that mean that safe salons are been slanderous to those who are not members,

and i have still not met a member of joe public that know anything about safe salons website.

Latest posts

Back