Need advice about working for a friend.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coppertop

Reaction score
My friend rents a roon in a hair salon 3 days a week and has been having problems with her nail ehnancement customers returning unhappy with their nails due to lifting.

Anyway she has asked me if i would go in and do her nail clients. Now we both charge £25.00 for a full set and different prices on a rebalance/infill.
How do we work out who gets paid what?
Is it really worth me leaving the house as she will want a percentage of the payments as i will be using her rented desk and she has took the booking.
But then i am helping her keep her customers coming back for other treatments.
Nightmare!!!!

I personally wouldnt work with my friends!! even when i have my own salon, my friends not gonna come work for me!!!!

I think you should do it at home still!!! you dont go to work to make friends you go to work to make money :)

Sory Mandy but can't help you on the nails stuff as realy not my subject.
However employing people is...friendships are an important thing and be carefull as generally speaking it is only very few working relationships that work well when friends get it on in buisness,.

Sometimes these sorts of working relationships do end up in tears and maybe best avoided as friendships should be alowed to last an eternity.

you will be surprised how the smallest thing when working together can cause problems.
good luck with whatever you descide :hug:

or maybe give her advice!!! show her how you do a ful set or sit next to each other when doing it!!! this way she will learn her mistakes!! maybe u will learn a few things :) love learning new things hehe xxxxxx

I have tried to explain and show her why the lifting is happening but she just doesn't enjoy doing them.

The reason why i am asking for advice is so that we both can agree on what is going to be happening from the start and then no one can be changing the agreement that we have.

We already work together doing pamper parties.

real difficult one this one.
perhaps work on a % for the treatments, ie 75/25%.

real difficult one this one.
perhaps work on a % for the treatments, ie 75/25%.
£18.75 for a set of nails then having to pay my petrol out of that. Doesn't sound worth it does it? :confused:

Hun, without sounding too harsh, I wouldn't bother. Especially if you want to preserve your friendship and current working relationship you both have.

If she doesn't enjoy doing the enhancements, then the likelyhood is she's not going to listen to any advice that's offered about it anyway, whether it was you or perhaps a one-one with the person she trained with.

Is there any way you would take over her rented space and nail clients if she found something else she did enjoy doing? Maybe she could do other treatments such as waxing and/or tanning (if she doesn't already)?

I see it really as a disservice to both herself and her clients if she doesn't enjoy it anymore, but in answer to your question, no I wouldn't do it, especially for £18 + petrol!

Hope you can get something sorted :)

Sarah. x

Not too sure about this one.....
If you don't think it will work out, both of you working together, how about just going in as a friend and watching her do a set of nails, you might be able to pick up on something that she is doing wrong or not doing when applying a set, causing the lifting....

I know you won't be getting paid or anything but if it helps her, you will feel great....and you won't have to work together risking your friendship....

personally i think you should be getting all the money for the nails you are doing,
she is free to make herself bookings with other clients at the same time, whilst you are keeping her clients happy to return with her for other treatments, before they end up goin somewhere else!
dunno, am i wrong? thats what i would want xxx

Hi I feel you should either take over the place yourself or she should find other services to carry out on her clients. This cannot work long term and I would not even try to split it between you.:)

I'm with essentia on this; she should take enhancements orf the menu if she doesn't like doing them. I know I'm a pessimist at heart but I can see resentment building up if you get fully booked up and her business declines as a result of your success.
Personally I wouldn't work for a friend. Business is business, innit!

See she does all beauty treatments and to be honest our friendship wasn't what i was questioning.
See she just doesn't feel she enjoys doing nails but she's fine just doing her beauty side of things. The room she had also comes with a nail station in the hair salon so i guess she was thinking make full use of it, she has already had customers interested in the enhancements.

I am thinking of just offering her a % of her rent to use the station and then the nail clients are mine. At least this way she isn't loosing out.
How does that sound? I just want it sorted in my own head before i put it to her, that way if she doesn't like it i can just say no and it's over with.

Latest posts

Back