Newbies Bluffing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have asked some questions on here for both nails and beauty and to the trained eye they must have sounded so daft to be perfectly honest and in hindsight have made me cringe at a later date, but I have never ever received anything but a kind, honest and helpful replies always.

I don't think I have always been that good at explaining my self or my problem always, and sometimes I don't ask a question which is worrying me because I am sure I should know what to do but without the experience behind you it is difficult and I can see could come across to someone with a wealth of experience as unprofessional. Everyone that walks through the door as a client has the potential to have a different problem, we are human. So I have to accept that if in doubt, don't do it as I am still learning and that never stops but if I don't know then I don't do it, the client will appreciate honesty and can find a more experienced therapist. Even so I have to say all my replies have always come back with a lot of excellent advice which I have understood and been able to implement to improve myself and I am really grateful to those who give up their time to answer me.

I do try to start my thread by explaining my situation and what I am training in which does make me feel a bit useless at times but at the end of the day that is my problem no one elses so maybe it might be helpful to explain yourself when you start your question then there can't be any confussion. If you are honest I don't think anyone minds you asking a question and they can then tailor their reply appropriately, but it is surely true to accept that no one wants to give out advice for a procedure if someone is not qualified or taking the appropriate training, that is not responsible or safe really is it?

Hope that made sense, sorry it went on a bit. xx

To your first point, none of us would think that you were unprofessional only inexperienced ... exactly the ones we are here to help.

As to your last paragraph ... this is exactly what this whole thread is about. Well done for understanding.

This has been a good thread in the sense that it proves how passionate everyone is about beauty/nails. I have read and reread this thread and wanted to write my view, Having updated my training details on my profile . I started on this site last Sept. So I am still fairly new to it. I think that this site is a godsend for help when you need a hand with a professional problem. I think sometimes we do not explain our questions properly and need an answer quickly, but this does not mean that we are not professionals. But then again are the non professionals easy to spot?
I think these days clients will see the professionals from the non professionals (in salon). It comes down to the quality and knowledge of the therapist. It does annoy me the ease with which someone can set up in Beauty without proper training, though how they get the insurance, I dont know?
Keep up with the good advice though.

I trained at college for my qualifications. When I found out about salon geek I did think that it was for professionals only, so thought right I can join now. I can imagin it must be frustrating if the people are asking questions and wanting to get help when there not trained. Without salon geek I have expanded my knowledge and learned from people that really know there stuff. I wouldn't dream of answering a question if I didn't know the answer.
To be honest I did think it was a professional website.
People on here are helpful and polite.My training wasn't very good so I pick up things and ask things which may have not been covered.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cool - thanks for answering my query, betta get posting!!!!

ok, i didnt completely read all 5 pages of replys so im sorry if i say anything thats already been stated! personally i think being qualified as NOTHING to do with acutallly knowing what youre doing.... unfortunate, but true. training in our industry is sadly kind of hit and miss. I guess what im trying to say is that just becuase someone comes on here not being as knowledgeable as some of the more experienced techs, it doesnt mean they're unqualified or frauds. Isnt one of the goals of professional networking to educate? I've learned tons from this site and i'd like to think i've also shared some of my own knowledge. I think if we were all a little more welcoming (we do have a tendency to jump down noobs throats when we think they're asking silly questions), maybe the alleged wouldnt have to feel the need to bluff about being more experienced than they are... maybe they're just trying to avoid hazing. either way, i personally dont have a problem with non professionals being part of this site, i would love the general public to be more knowledgeable about what we do!

I think if we were all a little more welcoming (we do have a tendency to jump down noobs throats when we think they're asking silly questions), maybe the alleged wouldnt have to feel the need to bluff about being more experienced than they are...

Personally I think we are an incredibly welcoming bunch of people - the only ones who get their 'throats jumped down' are those that join only to post their homework questions for us to answer...... I think we treat newbies kindly, and asking them to do a search when they are asking much repeated questions isn't attacking them.

either way, i personally dont have a problem with non professionals being part of this site, i would love the general public to be more knowledgeable about what we do!

The public being knowledgeable is one thing, using this site to learn our trade without paying for formal training is quite another. There is a massive difference between a consumer being interested in the context of getting the best service for her own nails (which is great) and a chancer who wants to know where to buy cheap product so she can set herself up banging out cheap nails to undercut the professionals (which is not great).

JMHO

It is quite simple ... What thesalongeek does not welcome are those who wish to 'use' the site and the knowledge and experience of generous people on it' to try to learn how to do nails so they can then buy professional products without any training and go into some sort of DIY nail operation. Now ... if you don't fall into that category then any and all are welcome and will be met with the usual generosity that the geeks display.

and this is exactly why i should've read all the replies before i posted! lol, i was overeager.... anyway, im not correcting my last post, just adding to it....
i guess this sort of thing really isnt a problem where im from, we have NSS's, but they're fully certified (doesnt mean they do good work). i've never run into a situation where an actual uncertified person is impersonating a professional and doing nails... this didnt even cross my mind. i guess in my opinion it's something you have to be passionate about to make a career of it, its not the industry you go into if youre just looking to make money lol

Personally I think we are an incredibly welcoming bunch of people - the only ones who get their 'throats jumped down' are those that join only to post their homework questions for us to answer...... I think we treat newbies kindly, and asking them to do a search when they are asking much repeated questions isn't attacking them.

I agree to the rest of your reply about people setting up shop to rip people off (terrible, i wasnt even thinking about it).... but this part im not so sure about, im not saying it to offend anyone (im part of this site too), but this forum is notorious on every other nail forum out there for not being exactly welcoming to newcomers. i dont think its intentional most of the time, but i think theres a lot of validity to my point about people bluffing to avoid hazing, ive heard this from more than one person, they turn into "lurkers" becuase they ask a noob question, some people chastise them for it, and then they're embarassed to ever post again. i dont like that it happens either but we shouldnt deny it. it has happened, even if it was unintentional. as for people searching before they ask questions, we should remember: they are noobs! lol, and besides that, ive searched for things on here that i KNOW are out there and i just cant find them, sometimes repeat questions are inevitable. I've also been ridiculed on this site for answering homework questions, and i will always defend myself on that one, like i said before, networking sites can be very educational so i dont see the problem in a student asking questions and using us a study tool.... if someone doesnt want to answer post, just ignore it.

Always good to see you here YeahYeah. And I know that other sites do say things about Salon geek, and I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll just say ... they may have their own reasons for doing so????? This is the largest site for salon professionals in the world now with over 10,000 hits a day and there is such a thing as professional jealousy and wanting to keep your members and doing so by maybe saying things like "they're not very welcoming there." etc. Just a thought.

As to your own desire to help college students do their homework .. as I have said before ... this is Samuel's site and it is site policy NOT to do this for several reasons ... what we do, is ell them where to search for the info they want. I don't know about you, but when I go into a strange country or someone else's house, I abide by their rules out of courtesy regardless of what I may wish to do.

Lastly, I would love you or anyone else to find these offencive unwelcoming posts that the salon geek is so famous for and send me
the links to them by pm. According to the rep someone is giving us for whatever reasons, there must be thousands and thousands of them so it shouldn't be difficult to find them.

Back to the topic?

Always good to see you here YeahYeah. And I know that other sites do say things about Salon geek, and I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll just say ... they may have their own reasons for doing so????? This is the largest site for salon professionals in the world now with over 10,000 hits a day and there is such a thing as professional jealousy and wanting to keep your members and doing so by maybe saying things like "they're not very welcoming there." etc. Just a thought.

As to your own desire to help college students do their homework .. as I have said before ... this is Samuel's site and it is site policy NOT to do this for several reasons ... what we do, is ell them where to search for the info they want. I don't know about you, but when I go into a strange country or someone else's house, I abide by their rules out of courtesy regardless of what I may wish to do.

Lastly, I would love you or anyone else to find these offencive unwelcoming posts that the salon geek is so famous for and send me
the links to them by pm. According to the rep someone is giving us for whatever reasons, there must be thousands and thousands of them so it shouldn't be difficult to find them.

Back to the topic?

lol im sorry geeg, i know we're not supposed to answer homework questions, and i respect that, but i DO think we should be encouraged to help more than just tell them to look it up. oh well.... anyway yes back to the topic.... i havent had time to do more than lurking lately and i do agree that everyone has been friendly lately. also i'd like to add that the hazing of the noobs is not unique to this forum, i think it happens all over the internet (in other industries too, you should check out some IT forums, they are VISCIOUS to noobs)... so im not going to deny that it happens.

Hi,

I agree with you as well. I paid a lot of money for my VCTC Nail Technician course at a local college.

But have had absolutley no support or back up from them. I just feel totally lost, after spending so much money, i feel i didnt get the right information.

This Website has been a excellent help to me, with lots of people giving me advise and information that i never got. I am researching into finding out how to start off as a Mobile Technician, and the response and advice i have got is amazing.

For me this Website has been a god send for me, so i hope the people who are "fakes" do not ruin it for genuine people like us.

When I was a newbie on this site.... OMG the questions I'd ask.... to later realize my education here in Quebec was abysmal...
So, Geek trained me all over again... and I'm better for it.
They were VERY welcoming to me, very helpful.... I'd say that most went above and beyond the call of duty.
That is what makes this site what it is.

As for this thread..... when I first read it... I paused..
Now coming back a few days later.. I see what Carl means.
There was a thread I 'almost' answered. Then I checked the poster's profile.. and thread/post history... Read the threads that person posted.
It was VERY clear that this person had never had training.
Sorry, but no, I'm not going to help you solve the problem of ABCXYZ until AFTER you've had training.

For the genuine ones, I DEFINATELY want to help.
The others................. nope.
Sometimes, yes, it's hard to tell.
But, the proof is in the pudding: if they are genuine and have passion for nails, they'll stick around and we'll see it. If they don't... they'll dissappear soon enough.

I have read through each and every post in this thread and just wanted to comment on it for myself only.

I have to admit that when i took my training 4 years ago I learned basically nothing but application. the troubleshooting etc. Ihave learned off of this site. I spent quite a long time creeping on the site as a guest before I felt that I was ready to join.

I am always amazed by the levels of training that each of you talk about (and I have to admit that I am pretty jealous too) My taining I know now was very weak, but in the area of Canada i live in the training is few and far between and our regulations are no where near what they should be.

I spend lots of time on the site reading posts and asking a few question, but mostly my questions are answered by reading the posts. I can't say that I comment on many posts because honestly i feel that my education just isn't what it should be. I don't have any images posted because I don't feel that mine will hold a candle to many on here.

I have used this site and your comments to purchase many books and look into different gel companies and make some business decisions ( I am a salon owner as well) I would like to say thanks to each of you for all of your knowledge and expert opinions.

I understand it must be frustrating for all of you, I know how much even my lackluster education cost me, so to think that someone is here trying to make a buck and not training properly, or purchasing questionable product. Those one upset me as well.

However, I have to agree that this is a great site for those that are learning, this is an industry where the learning never stops! I think that I will continue to be a student until the end of my career.

Really interesting thread. I never thought of this and assumed everyone on here was a professional or atleast studying nails thus the questions. I must admit I have found it great as even after doing nails for more than 8 years I sometimes come across problems with certain clients which don't happen with all my clients so I find this site helpful to get other Tech's opinions and hear if they have had similar experiences? Maybe the way the site could be monitored for professionals is to have people provide copies of their certification? I am trained in Bio Sculpture and they are good about not letting just anyone purchase their products- you have to show you are Bio Trained. Then on the other hand there would be those who would think this is all a bit 'big brother'? Interesting thoughts though.:rolleyes:

hi,
this thread is so interseting. First i felt awkward n offended cos i'm a newbie then i looked at my profile n realised i hadnt fully explained myself so took a photo of the only cert i had to hand, i'll take a pic of the ones in the salon and my old ones may resurface one day ha ha..

I totally get the point though, a lot of people buy kits and look at videos or read manuals and become "nail techs" so i dont see my client for their next appointment because a cheaper nail tech done her re balance. But they always do come back (usually with bad damage) and i replace their nails. These people rarely continue doing nails, so i dont see them as a threat!

On the other hand, i was one of those people but i realised i needed professional training and here i am still at it. I rarely reply here, but when i do i'm offering my opinion hoping to help people out and i really dont mind how qualified anybody is..

I dont know how this got on to the "geek" site being unhelpfull look back at my posts, I have and I cringe at the stupid things I asked but I was never met with hostility in fact I was guided to the search area and I spent days learning. I am still new in my eyes and I love it here and i'm not CND trained so its not favouritsm as some have suggested. I come here every day and so many people have encouraged me and inspired me. I dont always think "they are right" but everyone has their own opinion and I respect that.
I think we are all so thankfull to have this little world to go to. Sorry to go off topic but had to have my say as I feel really protective of the place.

Last edited:
I too think this site is excellent and very welcoming, I too scanned it for a few months until I got up the courage to join, but I find everyone so lovely and very helpful, I am learning new things every day, and respecting my occupation more and more. :)

There will always be ones who will try to use and abuse any site, and take things for granted. :irked:

All I can say, is I love this site, and all of you girls are excellent and thank you so much for making us feel welcome, even if we are all over the world.

Trudy
Australia.......:):)

I dont know how this got on to the "geek" site being unhelpfull look back at my posts, I have and I cringe at the stupid things I asked but I was never met with hostility in fact I was guided to the search area and I spent days learning. I am still new in my eyes and I love it here and i'm not CND trained so its not favouritsm as some have suggested. I come here every day and so many people have encouraged me and inspired me. I dont always think "they are right" but everyone has thier own opinion and I respect that.
I think we are all so thankfull to have this little world to go to. Sorry to go off topic but had to have my say as I feel really protective of the place.

I couldn't agree more, i have asked quite a few questions myself and i have never been met with anything but kind and helpful answers, this site is a godsend as i work from home on my own so the people i have met on here have become sort of my co-workers if you like, i've made some wonderful friends (you know who you are!!) and i still occassionally ask questions as in this business you are forever learning. To all of the noobs with a genuin interest you couldn't have found a more helpful site, the mod's and the great techs on here want nothing more than to help and advise you all they ask in return is that you seek professional training BEFORE working on the general public, thats not alot to ask considering that you get hundreds of ££££'s of info on this very site but none of it will do you any good in the long run without the proper training. :)
Jo.xxx

I really have to agree about the site being helpful, i'd only joined and went straight in asking Ruth website questions. She was great, straight in with a reply and sorted it out, now i could have easily been ignored. i mean the cheek of me a little blow in getting that much information straight away! I look through the threads and people really do get very helpful information and i was so grateful with the help i recieved..

It really is a great site

Thanks again Ruth xxxxxxxx

oh n sorry about my stupid spelling in my last post, it was late:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back