Newbies Bluffing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can very much see your point we need to protect the industry but I for one have not filled out my profile even tho I have been doing nails on & off for 12 yrs. I am qualified and have completed courses since then but filling in my profile is just something I have never got round to doing. I think it would be better and I'll even try get some pics on here- they may only be of my dog but never mind LOL. Thank u for raising this & pushing me into something I should have done a while ago!! :) x

Could we not have a cert number & date space?

When you first start in nails sometime you can get ripped off, lets say,as you dont no what training is recognised in this area, as your new to it all, i know this as its happened to me when i first started i payed £350 for a company to come to my house at 9 till 6 and teach me gel, and i dont no if its recongnised,:irked: dont think it is, i dont feel this is good enough for me so im going to do it again. Iv done courses after this airbrushing with nail creations complete airbrushing and level 2 nail treatments,diploma level 3 and doing fibreglass at the moment.Yes i fill like i cant answer questions on gel as my certificate may be worth loss,so i dont. Its upseting to think people can do this to you. I understand where you are coming from.xxxxxxx

The only problem with the cert number is is that different countries and companies do it differently. In the UK you have the VTCT, in the US, depending on what state you live in, you have a State Professional Licence, and then here in NZ, I'm not sure what you would use cos there is no regulatory body in the govt for nail techs and the certs I've seen from colleges aren't numbered per se.

Its really a tough one....we have people from all over the world....and there isn't a standard certfication criteria.....

Although I have been registered on this site for a while I only come on now again when I have a particular question & reading this thread I realised I hadn't filled out my profile & it still said I was a student with no qualifications whereas I have now (after lots of time, effort & money) finished my nvq2 in hairdressin, itec level2 in beauty & Mercia level 1 in acrylic/gel BUT I still feel really new to it all! Sometimes I come on here with not a clue on how to do something & then when I get replies to my question, usually it is something I have covered in my training but somehow it has totally escaped from my brain & just needs refreshing but others it may be something I have never covered & therefore teaches me something new!
I hope I dont get a bad press because I dont come on here often? When I do, the advice is fab!
x

hi i have been a member here for a little while and i first signed up when i was interested and signed up for a course at collage but i did find that all the info that i got from this site was a great help to me in my course and in my practice at home.
and i have just finished and pasted my course in nail tech, my qualification is vctc level 3 which i am really pleased with so i think some times like my self when i was training i just wanted to know all i could just so i would do it the right way not the wrong so some times when people seem to ask silly questions it also could be that like me they wanted to know has much has they could to get the best out of the course.but i must say this site has inspired me lots to i just want to know more my self right down to airbrushing has well
sorry if this was long winded

That would rule me out, and anyone like me. I'm not insured at the moment as I'm only practicing on myself, tips and my trainer hand although funnily enough I was going to insure myself this week. I'd get insured to stay on the site but I imagine the behind the scenes checking would be soooo time consuming considering the membership numbers?

Ditto that!.... it would rule me out as well, since I'm in another country and regs are probably different! ....also, just as an aside, recently I tried to register as a professional to gain access to a manufacturer's site .... because the laws are different in our respective countries, I am not recognized to them as a professional as I am 'Certified' ...not 'Licensed' ... and without a 'license' number their assumption is that I'm not a trained professional. :mad:
While I'm getting it all out, I want to point out that some members on this site don't even fill out their location! (incomplete profile reference) What's with that! (and I thought I was guarded!...):lol: I first joined this site to network with like minded professionals, trade ideas and gain any information that I could and on the rare occasion offer my two cents worth ....but, when joining and filling out my profile, I was very careful not to give 'too' much information for several reasons. First, I'm by nature quite a private person, and second I was new and unfamiliar with the site.... and being 'worldwide' and all... had the security issue knocking away in my head. I guess that I was testing the water and wanted to know just whom I was giving my information to before I offered too much info. If I gave out the vibe of being a snoop, that wasn't the intention, just lack of self confidence at the time I guess. I've found this site to be quite informative, but because I have so little time to come here, I'm still quite intimidated. I've left a note with one or two members, and don't quite know why, but they never did respond.:confused: I think it's very informative to see the differences in our industry from the perspective of different countries... or, am I mistaken and really this is meant to be a site for professionals in the UK? (I really don't know how to phrase that so it doesn't sound 'catty', but sometimes it does seem that those of us from 'elsewhere' are not encouraged to participate... jmho.. )

Speaking on behalf of all the genuinely trained newbies to the site, i can only say that despite my manicure, pedicure and nail enhancement diplomas hanging on the wall and the big hole in my saving to aquire them, i am still nervous about facing my first paying customer and all the support i can get would be helpful. I am sure i am not alone when i say that despite paying 100% attention throughout my training things still did not sink in completely and i hope things will become clearer with practice and the completion of my City and Guilds. Lets face it... Imposters will not last long in this business as you are really only as good as your last set of nails!!

Since reading these very contaversial threads i have filled out my profile. something i had not done because i did not realise how to do it. I still have not managed to post any pics on here, as despite asking how to nobody replied. As a newbie (but qualified) professional i chose not to add my Guild membership number (just in case it is somehow linked to the practitioners insurance i have with them) I would not like any bluffers to use this!. Despite the site being a useful reference i certainly feel that to assume that it is 'training' people to do nails is a little shall we say - unrealistic. If people really wanted to get tuturials they could go to any provider website such as young nails and get excellent video tuturials and obviously there is the old fav You Tube. I think the site is good but to think that it is capable of training people is a little egotistical. I think that many threads are now just made up of people trying to defend themselves with good cause.

Since reading these very contaversial threads i have filled out my profile. something i had not done because i did not realise how to do it. I still have not managed to post any pics on here, as despite asking how to nobody replied. As a newbie (but qualified) professional i chose not to add my Guild membership number (just in case it is somehow linked to the practitioners insurance i have with them) I would not like any bluffers to use this!. Despite the site being a useful reference i certainly feel that to assume that it is 'training' people to do nails is a little shall we say - unrealistic. If people really wanted to get tuturials they could go to any provider website such as young nails and get excellent video tuturials and obviously there is the old fav You Tube. I think the site is good but to think that it is capable of training people is a little egotistical. I think that many threads are now just made up of people trying to defend themselves with good cause.

This is because your question was asked in another thread and got lost hun.
It's in the tutorial section. I've answered your question in the said thread.

and get excellent video tuturials and obviously there is the old fav You Tube. I think the site is good but to think that it is capable of training people is a little egotistical.

Using the word "egotistical" is insinuating we/I feed our egos from giving information ...... this is utter crap and you should be ashamed for insinuating it....... (particularly after having only 8 posts of input yourself).

Perhaps after having shown a "little" more of what you are and "little" more of what you are capable of, you may earn a "little" more respect for yourself. .....yes, the word "little" does appear often in my reply!!!!!!

Welcome aboard and please feel free to post advice ......... BUT .........

As one of the , if not the most popular Youtube video suppliers on Youtube, I field questions from ignorant wannabes on a daily basis (you don't see this in my replies as I block and veto hundreds of comments and questions per day). My videos have had 1,260,248 views, so I guess I'm supposed to be egotistical ...... I'm not .... but I am proud of the interest shown in my videos (ego aside).

My videos are online to "assist", not to teach and I ask everyone who asks questions what kind of qualification they have before answering them.

Often I just tell them to ask their tutor.

I delete hundreds of questions a day from what I deem "ignorant technicians" or those wanting to learn for nothing.

This is "MY" industry and I will defend it to the end from pussies wanting to set up in garage salons against those that I respect as genuinely interested technicians, who I also classify as my friends and colleagues (even If i don't know them personally).

All I want is genuine interest from people learning, from people interested in learning and those with less than ample training, I started this thread and if you read what I initially stated, it encompasses the above ... no paranoia, or not feeling worthy, no issues, just genuine people genuinely interested, willing to put their money where their mouth is as genuinely interested possible future Nail Technicians.

Last edited:
hi guys, i think i understand your frustration. i joined only over christmas '08 and whatever i did i didn't fill in my profile either - think thats what i'll be spending the next while doing. . . .

:)

Using the word "egotistical" is insinuating we/I feed our egos from giving information ...... this is utter crap and you should be ashamed for insinuating it....... (particularly after having only 8 posts of input yourself).

Perhaps after having shown a "little" more of what you are and "little" more of what you are capable of, you may earn a "little" more respect for yourself. .....yes, the word "little" does appear often in my reply!!!!!!

Welcome aboard and please feel free to post advice ......... BUT .........

As one of the , if not the most popular Youtube video suppliers on Youtube, I field questions from ignorant wannabes on a daily basis (you don't see this in my replies as I block and veto hundreds of comments and questions per day). My videos have had 1,260,248 views, so I guess I'm supposed to be egotistical ...... I'm not .... but I am proud of the interest shown in my videos (ego aside).

My videos are online to "assist", not to teach and I ask everyone who asks questions what kind of qualification they have before answering them.

Often I just tell them to ask their tutor.

I delete hundreds of questions a day from what I deem "ignorant technicians" or those wanting to learn for nothing.

This is "MY" industry and I will defend it to the end from pussies wanting to set up in garage salons against those that I respect as genuinely interested technicians, who I also classify as my friends and colleagues (even If i don't know them personally).

All I want is genuine interest from people learning, from people interested in learning and those with less than ample training, I started this thread and if you read what I initially stated, it encompasses the above ... no paranoia, or not feeling worthy, no issues, just genuine people genuinely interested, willing to put their money where their mouth is as genuinely interested possible future Nail Technicians.

Ooooh, that's rather harsh! Does it mean that only ones who are opening their own salons or working in one who can be taken seriously? I am sure that the majority of nail techs or indeed beauty therapists that their goal is to have their own salons at some stage but is restricted by other factors such as family commitments, fanancial etc that they have to find other ways to do business either by going mobile or having a 'garage salon'.
The majority of geeks on this site have home salons, be it in a spare room, converted garage, or cabin in the garden and I believe all of them are passionate about their work. Actually, didn't Geeg say that she too started out as having a home salon?????

I would be what this site calls the newbie lurking geek. Although I have had formal training, with less that 2 years experience, I do not feel I am qualified to answer any questions nor do I ask many questions as I find most of what I am looking for via the search (I also love looking at everyone's photo galleries). Therefore, I do not have a lot of posts so does that make me a bluffer is some peoples eyes. Possibly, but it does not bother me as I know I have taken the proper steps to learn the industry and I am still learning. With the advent of the World Wide Web which makes this site possible, it also brings websites like EBay where you can purchase anything and everything. I have searched EBay and there are a variety of nail products that are available to purchase. What I believe Nail Zoo and everyone else is concerned about is that anyone can purchase these products and then come on this website, ask any question they want to try to learn the industry, set up shop, ruin someone's nails, and give everyone in this industry a bad name.

I would be what this site calls the newbie lurking geek. Although I have had formal training, with less that 2 years experience, I do not feel I am qualified to answer any questions nor do I ask many questions as I find most of what I am looking for via the search (I also love looking at everyone's photo galleries). Therefore, I do not have a lot of posts so does that make me a bluffer is some peoples eyes. Possibly, but it does not bother me as I know I have taken the proper steps to learn the industry and I am still learning. With the advent of the World Wide Web which makes this site possible, it also brings websites like EBay where you can purchase anything and everything. I have searched EBay and there are a variety of nail products that are available to purchase. What I believe Nail Zoo and everyone else is concerned about is that anyone can purchase these products and then come on this website, ask any question they want to try to learn the industry, set up shop, ruin someone's nails, and give everyone in this industry a bad name.

That may be the intention of some .. but fortunately in their ignorance, they soon find out that it is just not that easy.

Ooooh, that's rather harsh! Does it mean that only ones who are opening their own salons or working in one who can be taken seriously? I am sure that the majority of nail techs or indeed beauty therapists that their goal is to have their own salons at some stage but is restricted by other factors such as family commitments, fanancial etc that they have to find other ways to do business either by going mobile or having a 'garage salon'.
The majority of geeks on this site have home salons, be it in a spare room, converted garage, or cabin in the garden and I believe all of them are passionate about their work. Actually, didn't Geeg say that she too started out as having a home salon?????

I think when nailzoo mentions 'garage salon' he means the types of places where people set up with no training, no insurance etc as they think its a quick way to make money! He is in no way implying that Qualified tech's who set up at home are incompetant or anything like that you just read his post wrong! This thread was started for discussion purposes not for starting arguments and throwing around accusations. :)

Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick. I wasn't trying to start any argument. I actually really like Nailzoo's frank talking and respect his point of view. Sorry if I jumped on the defensive, no offence meant xx

Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick. I wasn't trying to start any argument. I actually really like Nailzoo's frank talking and respect his point of view. Sorry if I jumped on the defensive, no offence meant xx

no worries hun we're only human, we all jump the gun sometimes, :hug:
Jo.xx

I only joined today. i am half way through my course in sculptured acrylic nails.

I havent had the time to read all of the responses to this thread. but im quite scared that i do not have the credentials to be on here so i have made a decision to gain my extra knowledge and tips elsewhere.

Thank you to the 3 ladies who gave me some advise earlier. it was very much appreciated.

Regards from a novice. 1/2 trained.

kate x

Eh hello.....
I've not been doing nails long and visit this site often for the advice you've all been giving other newbies. I've never posted a thread as I,ve been too intimidated by all you experienced pros out there.
It's exactly as you said.... I've discovered my training wasn't up to scratch.
I've learned loads from nail geek and although I'm doing a better job than some of the nail techs I've been to in the past, I still need all the help I can get!
I actually logged on tonight as I need advice about popits after doing the cnd class in Plymouth but quite frankly I don't fancy having you looking down your nose at me!
Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back