No training... smart or stupid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No Training... smart or stupid?

• smart?

Votes: 21 4.0%
  • stupid?

Votes: 510 96.0%

• Total voters
I know that I am new to the site but I feel that as an 'untrained newbie' I should speak up... We don't all have £850 to pay for a foundation nail course right now. I have just moved to Scotland from South Africa (meaning it would cost R8500) and that is a lot of money. I got the Essential Nail home course and most of what I read now on the site is that without insurance you cannot work on peoples nails (and I believe that you need to be assessed in person to get insurance) so what good is the EN course? So after the course (EN) how do you get to make the money to pay for a different course. We are trying to make a living as well.

We ask questions because we want to better ourselves. (not just spunge off the site). You know - I can sit for hours just going over and over the gallery and wish that one day maybe I could do nails like those.

I have done a course in Bio but I had to leave South Africa just before the exam. Now I have to pay the full price again and travel hundreds of miles for the course. Is that right?

I am sure that most of you will ignore this post as I am 'untrained' but how about helping us out. You have all been in the same position I am sure.
As for the website - if you don't want untrained people in your website why don't you make it for professionals only?

Jacky:irked:

Why would we want to ignore this post because you are untrained. It is great to see that your aim is to get professional training - i also did the essential nails course and it gave me great background skills whilst i was waiting to further my training (and the cost).

As long as untrained people dont tell paying clients they are professionals
and charge a professional price.

Dont forget we have all been there - and have gone through the financial pain barrier before we became professionals.

I am in the middle of training with EN and have done the full Bio course in SA. But as I said I had to leave early. I also worked in a salon in SA and got a certificate with them. But only once I did the Bio training did I realise that the salon training was pathetic.

I do apologise for lashing out but some of the post were just really harse when there are people out there who are genuinely trying to get something sorted.

Jacky:cry:

*~* You know, in all the years I worked on my nails (before I went to school) it was on "My Nails Only" :!: I would have never thought of doing a set etc. on "others" (didn't even do any family members) - there is So much to learn and that I know I will continue to learn throughout my nail career. And that's what Irritates me Now is when I see comments from gals that post that either they haven't gone to school/trained At All or "oh, I just took a day class" and now they think their ready to go into a salon/mobile tech or Whatever :mad: Yeh, I know there are techs that even with schooling and all aren't that great (I know from what I Speak) BUT at least they got the Basics (sanitation, diseases, etc.) and so on and so on** I'll get off of my soap-box now :irked:

I believe you can get insurance if you have passed the EN course.

I am in the middle of training with EN and have done the full Bio course in SA. But as I said I had to leave early. I also worked in a salon in SA and got a certificate with them. But only once I did the Bio training did I realise that the salon training was pathetic.

I do apologise for lashing out but some of the post were just really harse when there are people out there who are genuinely trying to get something sorted.

Jacky:cry:
Jacky, if you go back and read through what has been said in previous posts properly, you will see that we have gone out of our way to say that we are happy to help geeks in training or looking into training, but not those who dont wish to train, I think its pretty clear.
Will bio sculpture uk not honour the trainin you started in South Africa, that seems a bit mean to me.

I might sound like i'm totally mad, but I aren't training to do enhancements to make money, I genuinely want to be the best at it. I aren't bothered if my nail career doesn't make as much money as my boring office job really (although it probably will, I'm so badly paid:lol: ). I have a real passion for it, I want to compete and do maybe one day train people. I cannot understand people who dont get the proper training no matter where its from. How can they have any pride in their work, it would be like me turning up to plaster someones walls, i'd have a rough idea but still make a b******s of it. How can people be so flippant about letting people work on a part of their body and how can these people get any pleasure out of doing their job, knowing they don't really know what they are doing, obviously they are just after the money. I feel a bit sorry peeps like this, they won't ever strive to be better like trained/trainee techs will, they won't ever have a passion for their career like we will so i suppose they are to be pitied.:irked:

I might sound like i'm totally mad, but I aren't training to do enhancements to make money, I genuinely want to be the best at it. I aren't bothered if my nail career doesn't make as much money as my boring office job really (although it probably will, I'm so badly paid:lol: ). I have a real passion for it, I want to compete and do maybe one day train people. I cannot understand people who dont get the proper training no matter where its from. How can they have any pride in their work, it would be like me turning up to plaster someones walls, i'd have a rough idea but still make a b******s of it. How can people be so flippant about letting people work on a part of their body and how can these people get any pleasure out of doing their job, knowing they don't really know what they are doing, obviously they are just after the money. I feel a bit sorry peeps like this, they won't ever strive to be better like trained/trainee techs will, they won't ever have a passion for their career like we will so i suppose they are to be pitied.:irked:

and you can also add to that list, that they will never get anywhere either!! They never do ... because to get anywhere at all, at some stage you are going to have to train and train hard and do some work. Quit wasting all this energy on all these no hopers.

To the poster who did the Bio course in SA ... if BIO SA is not willing to let the distributors in the UK know that you have done the training and only have to pass the exam then they are worth s**t.

If you were a person who had done full CND training and then wanted to do the exam with CND in the UK I would let you and whats more I wouldn't charge you either as you would be a potential customer.

Just to add. I will be starting my training at the end of this month...but feel I have been victimised for having an interest in nails in the first place. You guys really know how to put someone off doing what they enjoy doing. You guys are giving the nail profession a real bad reputation. Yes you might be good at nails and have qualifications, but personally I think your attitudes stink.

My husband is a IT professional but that doesnt stop him helping others with their IT problems when they have no qualifications.

I say share the knowledge you have to encourage people to train. Don't stereotype or discriminate people for not having any qualifications.

STOP assuming that people who are unqualified are STUPID and NIEVE. I dont consider myself STUPID or NIEVE in anyway. You dont know me...so what the hell gives you the right say such things. I don't practise on members of the public, I only practise on friends and family who are willing to let me do their nails. If you dont want unqualified people on this site then do something about it. Rather than slagging the untrained people off, it would make more sense to encourage them to complete training by letting them know the benefits. I just hope that when I become qualified I dont end up like some of you judemental people on here. Give people a chance before judging them.

The attitude you guys are putting across is enough to put people off wanting to train, as they will fear ending up like you!!!!!!!

Ouch!

I think this is getting way out of hand and off topic. The point of the thread, as I see it is that there are some people in this business who are OPENLY proud of the fact that they buy their products from underhand means - Ebay or unscrupulous companies who will sell to anyone regardless of training or not. And they have NO INTENTION WHATSOEVER of getting any training - why should they - they do fantastic nails without it.

I have more of a problem with the companies/individuals who sell to untrained technicians - they are the ones who should know better. If you come along as an untrained person - which you are not as you are doing training - and want to buy and they say yes, here you go - what are you to think - that this is the done thing.

In response to your final statement - I do hope that when you have done your training, you do become as judgemental as the rest of us as that will mean you care as much as the rest of us LOL. :hug:

STOP assuming that people who are unqualified are STUPID and NIEVE. I dont consider myself STUPID or NIEVE in anyway. You dont know me...so what the hell gives you the right say such things. I don't practise on members of the public, I only practise on friends and family who are willing to let me do their nails. If you dont want unqualified people on this site then do something about it. Rather than slagging the untrained people off, it would make more sense to encourage them to complete training by letting them know the benefits. I just hope that when I become qualified I dont end up like some of you judemental people on here. Give people a chance before judging them.

If you read more across the site you will see that many of the best respected people here constantly encourage people with no traning to take it and give those of us who are training all the help and advice they can. No one is judging, I did my own nails on and off for years but now I am training I realise there were quite a few things I was doing that were harmful to my nails and causing the problems that cropped up. I never practiced on friends and family beofre I trained because I didn't know what exactly I was practicing. I was doing my nails with products from Ebay and with the procedures I had seen my trusted nail lady using. What I didn't know diddle squat about was proper prep and the fact that for the products I bought I needed to use primer and a slightly different technique. I know now why my tech didn't need primer, I also know why when I do my own nails now that I need it with the system I use and did back then with the stuff I bought.

So, I voted stupid, purely because of the things I did based on internet tutorials and because I assumed that what I saw my own nail lady do and in tutorials online were what I needed to do. With training I know now that the products you use decide what procedure to follow to a degree. For years I didn't do training, 4 kids, then 5, no money, struggling to make the rent on my husbands single income. I'm limping through my training now,we've paid it as I went along thanks to a very understanding school and I know one day I'll be a good working tech because I never doubt I can do this.

Just to add. I will be starting my training at the end of this month...but feel I have been victimised for having an interest in nails in the first place. You guys really know how to put someone off doing what they enjoy doing. You guys are giving the nail profession a real bad reputation. Yes you might be good at nails and have qualifications, but personally I think your attitudes stink.
Keron,if you read the thread correctly you would understand that nobody is victimising you for having an interest in nails,you are going to be doing some training,so obviously this is not aimed at you.It is aimed at people who have no intention of ever having any training.Nobody was calling you stupid,as you wrote in a thread you have just deleted,we are saying that it is stupid to work on the public when you are untrained.It is dangerous and people that are untrained have no idea about the contra-indications to treatment.Dont take it so personally.:hug:

When you have had a new client come to you with onycholysis, pseudomonas, rings of fires and paronychia because some well meaning untrained friend has thought it fun to have a go at doing their nails then you may understand why our attitude seemingly stinks. Because untrained and ignorant people have a habit of bringing ANY industry down and that stinks more than anything I know.

Yes, I totally understand what you guys are saying and agree with you to a certain extent. I just dont agree with the 'name calling' as people who are untrained will take offence to this. And no I would not offer my services to the general public and yes there are people out there who have no intensions of ever getting trained and do offer their services. Probably these people know enough about the nail industry and feel they dont need a qualification or perhaps are to scared with the thought of having to train.

These people need encouragement.

And they are very much encouraged and helped here on the nail geek site, when they show willing and don't have an arrogant, know it all attitude and are willing to show a bit of respect and a bit of humility in the face f the professionals.

Yes, I totally understand what you guys are saying and agree with you to a certain extent. I just dont agree with the 'name calling' as people who are untrained will take offence to this. And no I would not offer my services to the general public and yes there are people out there who have no intensions of ever getting trained and do offer their services. Probably these people know enough about the nail industry and feel they dont need a qualification or perhaps are to scared with the thought of having to train.

Can I just ask how can these people possibly know enough about the nail industry without training???and why would anyone feel they dont need a qualification??? this is the sort of attitude that gets my back up.

I apologise if I have upset or caused offence to anyone with my last posts

ohh dont you guys listen at all, thats what we are saying, this site is full of advice and encouragment for people who want to learn and train.:grr:
I cannot see anywhere here where anyone has called anyone else stupid and do you not think that what you have put about people not training but thinking they know enough about the industry says it all!!!!

My husband is a IT professional but that doesnt stop him helping others with their IT problems when they have no qualifications.

I say share the knowledge you have to encourage people to train. Don't stereotype or discriminate people for not having any qualifications.

Hi Keron

With respect i feel that your comments on this post are totally un called for and are not backed up in any way, shape or form!

We have all been new to this game at some point and I feel that any comments placed to help others have in the main been constructive and are totally meant to help others become better professionals.

How constructive have your comments been? Who has been stereotyped or discriminated against?

How would you husband feel if he gave advice to somebody who was not trained or professional and they then charged a client for doing a professional job if all they have done is got the info from somebody else and not their own knowledge or expertise!

Apology accepted - you had obviously replied before i had finished typing - but still dont agree with what you have said.

I am sure that most of you will ignore this post as I am 'untrained' but how about helping us out. You have all been in the same position I am sure.
As for the website - if you don't want untrained people in your website why don't you make it for professionals only?
Nobody will ignore you or your questions... why? because you (like the majority of us) actually give a damn about getting training and aren't working on the public willy-nilly without any qualifications at all.
It's not a case of making this site a professional only site, that was never part of Sam's plan, it's a valuable learning aid to technicians (both new and old) aswell as offering support and advice to wanna-be techs who are going about things in the right way and getting trained before working on 'clients' without insurance!

I have been victimised for having an interest in nails in the first place. You guys really know how to put someone off doing what they enjoy doing. You guys are giving the nail profession a real bad reputation. Yes you might be good at nails and have qualifications, but personally I think your attitudes stink.
My husband is a IT professional but that doesn't stop him helping others with their IT problems when they have no qualifications.
Nobody has victimised you Keron, we can't help it if that's the way you feel.
Our attitudes don't stink (as you so nicely put it), we offer help to new technicians and to try and steer them in the right direction where training is concerned, some people listen and learn others are ignorant and don't give a monkeys... the choice is theirs!
I'm sure you'll agree that you can't compare an IT professional and a Professional nail technician, we're not dealing with computer programmes here, we're dealing with peoples bodies, we have an effect on their health if we cock things up... something worth thinking about :!:

If only a couple of untrained techs have decided to get training after reading this thread then at least some good has come out of it.

Latest posts

Back