Not a show, but a conference?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cec

Reaction score
I have read the threads about how bad both the Olympia and the Excell show was and have been thinking.... (Hahahaha, funny thing...:))

I liked Olympia because I competed. I didn't by anything other than a "beauty-trolley" (which nearly costed me 100 pounds in overweight, but that's another story...:)). I like to shop, but to be honest, at beauty-shows I rather LEARN and get inspired than shopping.

I have been to lots of conferences with my husband and last time, the week before Olympia, I thought, why don't we set up a CONFERENCE instead of a show? The brands could have rooms where they could run seminars (and also have a stand where they could sell) and the attendants could pay for the seminar they wanted to go to. There could even be held small classes, e.g. competition classes.

I would be more happy with QUALITY over QUANTITY.

Anybody with me on this?

C.

Wow Cec,
That sounds like a fab idea. I would much prefer to do something like this than what they do at the shows now. After hearing such bad reports about Olympia at the weekend I am glad that I missed it.
I would be really interested in something like this though.
Jen xx

Eeerrrrmmm... take a look at BABTAC.COM - The Official Site of the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology.

That's exactly what we're doing! We've been to Leeds, the next show is 29/30 June in Brighton, and then on to Cambridge and Bristol. After that we go to Northern Ireland, Glasgow and (probably) Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.

If you want details of all the seminars at Brighton you can register and we'll send you the full pack.

Regards

PHILIP SWINFORD
Marketing Services Manager
BABTAC

Hi,

I am located in Norway...

Anyway, I looked at the program and it looked great for a beauty therapist, but for me, as a nailtech only, I didn't find much of interest there. Sorry....

C.

Eeerrrrmmm... take a look at BABTAC.COM - The Official Site of the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology.

That's exactly what we're doing! We've been to Leeds, the next show is 29/30 June in Brighton, and then on to Cambridge and Bristol. After that we go to Northern Ireland, Glasgow and (probably) Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.

If you want details of all the seminars at Brighton you can register and we'll send you the full pack.

Regards

PHILIP SWINFORD
BABTAC

Wouldn't it be great to be able to spend a couple of hours seeing all the finer details of........oh say sculpting and then maybe pop next door and see those techniques applied to 3d art and then see how to apply that to gel sort of mini master classes all day long,
Well colour me happy I might have died and gone to geeky heaven:green:

i think this is a very good idea :green:

why does this one have nothing on nails?

Can we do it next weekend ? i'm up for a good fix of all that is nails :lol:

Hmm... Maybe there also could be a practicing room so we could all sit and try out what we have learned???

C.

this sounds great, I would love to do something like that.

I did mention this on the thread i posted. about having a nail roadshow, that would be great, hire a venue and have different rooms for different nail styles, charge x amount, have a set number per class. have hourly sessions. 30 minutes breaks in between, then go on to the next class, sussed, right who's doing it,
lol:idea:thg

I did mention this on the thread i posted. about having a nail roadshow, that would be great, hire a venue and have different rooms for different nail styles, charge x amount, have a set number per class. have hourly sessions. 30 minutes breaks in between, then go on to the next class, sussed, right who's doing it,
lol:idea:thg
sounds great to me xx

Regards

PHILIP SWINFORD
BABTAC

This sounds great for beauty therapists and such but there is nothing here for us nail techs, it would be nice for us to have something like this also as we love to learn new and exciting new things. :)

Interesting to read this thread!

I'm already working on it so watch this space!

What I think is EXTREMELY important is that the classes have to be PROFESSIONAL and not like "commercial". To avoid this the classes have to be concrete and the entrants can pick what they are interested in. Hmmm... difficult to explain in English, but did that make sense? I am just not interested to go to a class to be "pushed" to buy, at least as long as I have payed for the class.

C.

It would be great if perhaps some suppliers could also run training/conversion/skill building classes there.....so you could train, perhaps at a lower cost to what you'd pay to go to a training school as there would be more people?

All your ideas and suggestions are fab ........

BUT ...... try running one of these shows yourself, it's a bloody nightmare and a very expensive one.

I ran our National Nail Show here one year as President of the Nail Association.

If these shows you so readily criticize were easy to put on, don't you think there would be more of them, put on by your own Gods (your infallible suppliers)?

Ideas are one thing .... action is another.

Sometimes there is interest, sometimes there's not, just look at the lack of interest by your suppliers lately (I've witnessed this happen in my country also).

The fact that many of you showed disinterest this year is a perfect example.

The organisers have to recoup costs, this is why some booths are taken up by companies you don't know, or don't particularly respect .... (I've seen you guys bitch about wigs, jewelery and makeup at your shows), but those companies are willing to spend the cash, when your own suppliers are not willing to sign up, YOU seem to only want what YOU want, it's almost a selfish attitude really.

What this post is describing is exactly how trade shows start, only to go down the gurgler as some trade shows do.

The obvious lack of interest in your latest show amazes me, just for your information England fits into Australia over 30 times (Australia is over 30 times the size of England) and we have people that travel from one side of the country to the other to attend trade shows.

Yet you guys won't travel to your shows, you want them on your doorstep, .......... sorry guys but I call this "lethargy".

You are describing what "YOU" want, but others may not, it's very difficult to please everyone (if not impossible).

Even the posts regarding your latest show are different from the usual hype that surrounds a show, particularly in regard to competitions.

Oddly enough upon reading between the lines as an outsider, a particular comment caught my attention ..... it was in regard to Koreans competing and whisking away the trophies.....

I've also witnessed many comments verging on racism, considering any person of Asian decent as "Chinese" and also as NSS and well below your standards ....... in case you haven't noticed, these Asians (Chinese apparent NSS) are kicking your asses with their talent.

There's only one way to keep these shows going and that is to make the effort and attend , it only takes one lathargic show and it snowballs into disinterest the next year, then you all whinge.

ATTEND THESE SHOWS, COMPETE AND SHOW INTEREST,
EVEN BETTER, IF YOUR SUPPLIER ISN'T THERE, BUY FROM SOMEONE ELSE THAT IS THERE, TRY SOMETHING NEW.... TAKE YOUR BLINDFOLDS OFF AND TRY A NEW PRODUCT, A NEW BRUSH, NEW POLISH, NEW TIPS, NEW L&P, NEW GEL ETC

Wow! As I was the one who started this thread, I feel I have to say something. I didn't start it to complain, but to bring something POSITIVE thoughts out.

I also know how extremely costly it is to arrange those show,s that's why I thought we could maybe do something different, less costly. I am sure everybody would gain from that.

About traveling.... There are NO shows where I live. I travel, at least 3-4 times a year to go to shows and classes all over Europe (and also in Norway). I pay lots of money to go to these shows, that's why I feel a little bit gutted when NONE of the big companies are there, not so I can buy, but because I want to see demos and learn something.

And the Koreans... Funny you mentioned it... I am originally from Korea...... I was beaten by two Koreans. I don't see anything wrong in mentioning the Koreans wiping the board.... After all, it's true....:)

C.

All your ideas and suggestions are fab ........

BUT ...... try running one of these shows yourself, it's a bloody nightmare and a very expensive one.

I ran our National Nail Show here one year as President of the Nail Association.

If these shows you so readily criticize were easy to put on, don't you think there would be more of them, put on by your own Gods (your infallible suppliers)?

Ideas are one thing .... action is another.

Sometimes there is interest, sometimes there's not, just look at the lack of interest by your suppliers lately (I've witnessed this happen in my country also).

The fact that many of you showed disinterest this year is a perfect example.

The organisers have to recoup costs, this is why some booths are taken up by companies you don't know, or don't particularly respect .... (I've seen you guys bitch about wigs, jewelery and makeup at your shows), but those companies are willing to spend the cash, when your own suppliers are not willing to sign up, YOU seem to only want what YOU want, it's almost a selfish attitude really.

What this post is describing is exactly how trade shows start, only to go down the gurgler as some trade shows do.

The obvious lack of interest in your latest show amazes me, just for your information England fits into Australia over 30 times (Australia is over 30 times the size of England) and we have people that travel from one side of the country to the other to attend trade shows.

Yet you guys won't travel to your shows, you want them on your doorstep, .......... sorry guys but I call this "lethargy".

You are describing what "YOU" want, but others may not, it's very difficult to please everyone (if not impossible).

Even the posts regarding your latest show are different from the usual hype that surrounds a show, particularly in regard to competitions.

Oddly enough upon reading between the lines as an outsider, a particular comment caught my attention ..... it was in regard to Koreans competing and whisking away the trophies.....

I've also witnessed many comments verging on racism, considering any person of Asian decent as "Chinese" and also as NSS and well below your standards ....... in case you haven't noticed, these Asians (Chinese apparent NSS) are kicking your asses with their talent.

There's only one way to keep these shows going and that is to make the effort and attend , it only takes one lathargic show and it snowballs into disinterest the next year, then you all whinge.

EVEN BETTER, IF YOUR SUPPLIER ISN'T THERE, BUY FROM SOMEONE ELSE THAT IS THERE, TRY SOMETHING NEW.... TAKE YOUR BLINDFOLDS OFF AND TRY A NEW PRODUCT, A NEW BRUSH, NEW POLISH, NEW TIPS, NEW L&P, NEW GEL ETC

I flew over for ExCel in London from Spain 2006 and 2007 (couldn't afford it this year), Cec has been to the UK a few times recently for shows, there are some of us who are willing to not only fly in from another country to go to the shows but also spend out a heck of a lot on accommodation and food etc while we're there, that's commitment for you :wink2:

I honestly think that if a tech is extremely happy with the product line they're using and doesn't have blindfolds on then why spend out money on other brand named products? I'm not brainwashed, nor do I wear a blindfold, and if my chosen branded product line wasn't at a show then it would make me seriously consider whether to attend the show or not. I appreciate how expensive it is to have a stand but do we really want to see wigs and handbags at a professional beauty/nail show? Personally, no, I don't.

:hug:

Thats fabulous that some geeks/techs fly in from other countries ......... you should be proud of your interest and enthusiasm.

BUT, we do seem to be talking about the UK shows as such
and look at the dis-interest shown by techs in the UK at their own nail shows.

As an example, how many techs on this site are from the UK?

And how many of them bothered to support the last show? ..... POINT TAKEN?

Even the thread on the last show is quite dismal in it's responses, or lack thereof. It's no wonder shows are not a success when people (or companies) don't bother to attend.

I've been competing, attending and judging in shows for 20 years.
I've seen some good and some mediocre.
I've also heard what people say when companies don't attend (it's often not nice), with whispers of "are they really doing that bad they can't afford to attend"?
Even though this is often not true, it is still said.

If the companies aren't interested ..... and they techs aren't interested .... then whats the point?

you reap what you sew

Valencian, the handbags and wigs (and heaven forbid non professional products like RIO at the recent UK show) are propping these shows up, if it wasn't for them taking a booth, the shows would not exist.................

At the shows here, I see every second woman going home with a new hair switch, a handbag or a pair of earings, as proven in the other posts about your recent UK show, peeps went with money to burn ...... and didn't spend it.

It seems the lack of interest from the companies and the techs is contagious and it will spell the death knoll for shows unless someone pulls their finger out and makes an effort.

Some shows will survive and some will fall by the wayside, you guys seem to have made your mind up which ones will prosper, so if you don't attend, don't whinge when it folds or it's boring .... it's a combined effort from the techs and the distributors.

Last edited:
I went to the last show and loved it, it might be because it was my first show but it wouldn't be my last. I am still training but I even entered the nailympics, for the experience and fun of it Fanatsy nail art. I would do it again too, because I met alot of wonderful people there.They were very helpful to the novice that knew nothing.

Latest posts

Back