olympia who's been?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what's the solution then.there's no point in doing the shows. unless all the companies organize a show themselves.
I also was on the dollshouse and miniature scene for 13 years, and we went to all over the country, shows from nec birmingham, scottish secc, we even did excel in london.
so there must be a way through ,they should do a roadshow but instead it antiques, it could be nails. and all the experts can come and give there advice. on what product to use. lol:lol:

That shocking that rio was on sale there,god what next a.xxxx

When I just qualified I loved going to the shows ! I spent hours looking at everything and comparing products.

As mentioned before, it was an education and very interesting to see different companies products, demos etc. Sometimes you can get so caught up in the brand that you are using that you miss some of the other products / techniques etc. out there.

I understand these shows are expensive and as mentioned by Sassy, if you as a distributor have to attend 5 of these shows a year, I'm sure it does get VERY expensive.

I don't know what the solution is to the problem, but have to admit, I do miss the way the shows used to be.

I don't go to them anymore for all the reasons already listed, and hope a solution can be found to have great shows or at least one big great show a year.

Marlise

Life's what you make it. I had a good time at Olympia. Admittedly London's not far away and I was lucky enough to get a lift, but one of the reasons I came home buzzing was because I invested in what I think is a fantastic new product, that I would not have known about if I hadn't made the effort to go along. I'm not always interested in the big names, I like to see what the small up and coming exhibitor has to offer. I don't actually find it difficult to ignore the likes of Rio and handbag stalls, they're not even on my radar and why should I let them wind me up!

Last edited:
i went aswell soooo disappointing just NSI and ESSIE not much choice at all. Wont be going to Olympia again if it dont get any better.

i went to olympia yesterday i was alittle disappointed but got loads of stuff from ceutuem, used their polishes when i worked in cyprus and really liked them. they had a good deal on their skin care i go training on 2nd of june, will let you no how i got on. i havent been to olympia for 9 years it used to be brill.

i got attacked by the 60 year old mineral make up woman, she looked like she put her make up on in the dark! needless to say i didnt but any.

xx

I went aswell yesterday, and was disappointed too. I was really looking forward to it !
It took me ages to get there and £30 just for transport, i had a sandwich there and a bottle of coke which was £8 !!!! such a ripp off.

It took me about 10 minutes to walk around the place until i realised just how sh** it was, all i bought was a charles fox bucket bag and subscribed to scratch!!

This was my 1st olympia trip and i came from portsmouth. I stayed for the semenars on nails and thought it was great,as i am starting as a mobile tech there was one on going mobile. also sam biddle was there and OOOOHHHHHHHH! her talk on fantasy art was so good i bought the dvd and watched it first thing this morning.
Sorry to here you weren't impressed. try Excell next time.

yes, ive heard its better at excel, more bigger apparently!!

i think im also blaming the fact that my back started hurting when i got there, as i am 7 1/2 months pregnant.

Next time i'll go when im not expecting.

After travelling over from Spain (with a delay) and then discovering that the trains were not running so ended up getting a replacement bus - train - replacement bus ........was disapointed that so many companies were not there but the Le Chat people were stars! Answered my queries, very helpful and I had a nail done by Angel Fingers so was chuffed. The people on the Backscratchers stand were also very good. Repeat journey home and then fly back to Spain with another delay! Transport was definately not my thing this time! Not sure whether I would bother to do it again as I would prefer to drive Almeria and see Le Chat there to be honest.

After travelling over from Spain (with a delay) and then discovering that the trains were not running so ended up getting a replacement bus - train - replacement bus ........was disapointed that so many companies were not there but the Le Chat people were stars! Answered my queries, very helpful and I had a nail done by Angel Fingers so was chuffed. The people on the Backscratchers stand were also very good. Repeat journey home and then fly back to Spain with another delay! Transport was definately not my thing this time! Not sure whether I would bother to do it again as I would prefer to drive Almeria and see Le Chat there to be honest.

so glad people were impressed with the le chat stand, i may well be working at a trade show in spain next year, madrid or barcelona and will probably be coming to spain to offer some lechat training later this year if i can get it organised.

the main thing that didnt impress me was the fact that there were children in the exhibition. i do love kids, and have 3 of my own but i think that maybe its not the right place for them.

a lady wanted me to do a sample nail on her little girl who was about 11 years old. i appologised and explained that i wasnt allowed to treat under 16's. when we signed up to do the show we were asked to prove that we had public liability insurance and everything was quite strictly controlled
her mum was un-impressed to say the least and it did upset me as i always like to help people. i felt i had offended her, and i hate to do that.
i felt my professional position was compromised by the people running the show and i wouldnt have been put into this position if the organisers had more integrity on addmitance policy.

I was also surprised to see children at the show i rang last year to ask if i could take my daughter as she is disabled and its hard to get someone to care for her, i was told absolutely no children.

so there must be a way through ,they should do a roadshow but instead it antiques, it could be nails. and all the experts can come and give there advice. on what product to use. lol:lol:

I know years ago Chocolate (KSaRa) used to to be part of a roadshow group of companies that used to travel around in smaller venues. Maybe this could be a way forward again.

From working all the shows over the last year for the ANT it was surprising that the biggies were not everywhere and they are getting pickier about where they show. It is disappointing but as has already been said maybe we will all be better off phoning them to get them to provide us with "we're not showing" offers. I know OPI did that earlier in the year and I got a discount for not buying at the show and buying through my rep. They were at the show anyway and still bought more!!!

its great to have discounts from companies who dont attend.

but i like to be able to see products before i try them if they are new to me.
what i really like at the shows is to watch the products being used by someone experienced with them, its great to see what can be accomplished by people who know the product. sometimes its not until we see something being used that we realise its potential.

i think it would be a great shame if the shows stopped.

its so hugely expensive to exhibit.
in some other countries, visitors have to pay an entry fee, so a substantial part of the cost is covered by them. this means that it it is more affordable to exhibit and more companies can afford to attend and make it a show thats good for the visitors.

HI I went to the show and I thought it was awful! Normally when I've been to previous shows they have absolutely packed out! I took my daughter to, and we didn't get there til 11am... and was actually on our way home at 2.40pm! I couldn't believe it, there was no one there! I was expecting, dermalogica, guinot, .. I wanted to buy wax, cotton wool, etc etc.... I came away with £60 worth of ID makeup!!!! not what I intended on buying at all!!!!! Bring back the brighton shows!!!!

Latest posts

Back